PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.x] The Gray Man (Monster)

Jergmo
2010-09-13, 11:37 AM
The Gray Man is a monster that I originally submitted for the monster competition, Fear Itself - and, let's face it, it sucked. As of late I've been working to revamp old monsters of mine as well as creating new ones. So, here is the Gray Man, reimagined.

Gray Man
Size/Type: Medium Aberration (Psionic)
Hit Dice: 6d8+12 (39 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft.(6 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (+2 Dex, +4 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+6
Attack: Touch attack +7 melee (1d4 Charisma drain)
Full Attack: 2 touch attacks +7 melee (1d4 Charisma drain)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Charisma drain, detect thoughts, mind blast
Special Qualities: Chameleon power, darkvision 60 ft., hide in plain sight, immunity to mind-affecting effects, personality parasite
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +8
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 14, Con 15, Int 16, Wis 17, Cha 1
Skills: Hide +11*, Move Silently +11, Listen +12, Spot +12, Knowledge(Local) +12
Feats: Stealthy, Improved Initiative, Weapon Focus(Touch attack)
Environment: Any temperate or underground
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually neutral evil
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: —

The Gray Man is a tall, thin creature appearing to be a humanoid of ambiguous gender and race with pale, hairless gray skin and hands that could be described as "spidery". Strangely, this creature has no true sense of self. While it is intelligent, it is forced to act in a mostly mindless state when it has not assumed the personality of another being within a matter of days. Unintelligent creatures such as animals are sufficient for a Gray Man, but it realizes that they cannot sustain it as well as humanoids can. In the days of lucidity after assuming a creature's personality, they seek out places where they are more likely to come across travelers, often waiting in hiding alongside well-traveled roads. Should it go without an id for a long enough time, it will return to a mindless state, usually lying in a hidden position motionlessly until something wanders by, at which point its instinct will kick in and it will attack. The Gray Man does not have ranged telepathy, instead coming in contact with another creature's mind through special sensors located on its fingertips.

Combat
The Gray Man does not initiate combat directly; it observes from hiding, and should an opponent be isolated or vulnerable, it will engage it with its Mind Blast ability and attempt to use its Charisma Drain attack.

Mind Blast (Su): This psionic attack of the Gray Man is a cone 30 feet long. Anyone caught in this cone must succeed a DC 17 Will save or be stunned for 3d4 rounds. Gray Men use this power to allow them to freely drain an opponent's Charisma. The save DC is Intelligence-based and is the equivalent of a 4th-level spell.

Charisma Drain (Su): A Gray Man causes 1d4 points of Charisma drain each time it hits with its touch attack.

Detect Thoughts (Su): A Gray Man that successfully uses its touch attack on an opponent also has the ability to detect the thoughts of its victim, as the detect thoughts spell. The target must succeed on a Will save with a DC equal to 17 to resist. The save DC is Intelligence-based, includes a +2 racial bonus to the save DC and is the equivalent of a second-level spell.

*Chameleon Power (Su): As a free action, The Gray Man can magically blend in with the surroundings. This provides a +10 competence bonus on its Hide checks.

Hide in Plain Sight (Su): The Gray Man can use the Hide skill even while being observed.

Personality Parasite (Su): Once it has drained an opponent of all of its Charisma, a Gray Man adopts that opponent's Charisma score, as well as taking on the basic aspects of its personality, though its alignment is unchanged. The Gray Man feeds upon its newfound id, suffering two points of Charisma drain per day. It must suffer at least two points of Charisma drain each day, or risk starvation.

Debihuman
2010-09-13, 01:40 PM
The asterisk from Hide doesn't match up to the asterisk on Charisma drain. Should it have a skills section?

Edit: Touch attack gains a +1 to attack from weapon focus feat. I think you left it off the attack lines.

Debby

Jergmo
2010-09-13, 04:02 PM
The asterisk from Hide doesn't match up to the asterisk on Charisma drain. Should it have a skills section?

Edit: Touch attack gains a +1 to attack from weapon focus feat. I think you left it off the attack lines.

Debby

I have no idea how I ended up putting the asterisk on Charisma drain. The attack bonus should be correct, though. 4 from BAB, 2 from Strength modifier, 1 from weapon focus.

Debihuman
2010-09-13, 05:15 PM
A creature cannot have a nonability score in Charisma.

Any creature capable of telling the difference between itself and things that are not itself has at least 1 point of Charisma. Anything with no Charisma score is an object, not a creature. Anything without a Charisma score also has no Wisdom score.

I recommend changing the Charisma score to 1.

+7 was correct for the melee attack. Apparently, I cannot do simple addition. Sorry about that.

Debby

Jergmo
2010-09-13, 05:25 PM
Stupid rules, making my concepts unable to function. *Sigh* I guess it'd still have the starvation thing to worry about. It has the self awareness of a zombie.

DracoDei
2010-09-13, 05:28 PM
Stupid rules, making my concepts unable to function. *Sigh* I guess it'd still have the starvation thing to worry about. It has the self awareness of a zombie.

Zombies have Charisma 1... if you didn't already know that?

Jergmo
2010-09-13, 05:36 PM
Zombies have Charisma 1... if you didn't already know that?

Si, sirrah, that's what I was referencing! *Nodnod*

In any event, thanks for the help, Debihuman! You've been around in a fair number of threads I've started in the Homebrew forum, as I recall.

Epsilon Rose
2010-09-13, 06:39 PM
Um you've already changed it, but if it's not to late I'd like to lodge an argument in favor of no charisma score. As it's described when it's in it's dormant state this creature lacks an id and I'm assuming sense of self so to me it makes sense that it has no charisma and if you do that you could treat it as an unattended object for the sake of spells, which would be kind of interesting. I'd also like to point out that unless aberration gives immunity to ability drain and damage this will be really easy to take out for any one who knows about these things or happens to notice "Gosh that thing is really uncharismatic".

Jergmo
2010-09-13, 06:41 PM
Um you've already changed it, but if it's not to late I'd like to lodge an argument in favor of no charisma score. As it's described when it's in it's dormant state this creature lacks an id and I'm assuming sense of self so to me it makes sense that it has no charisma and if you do that you could treat it as an unattended object for the sake of spells, which would be kind of interesting. I'd also like to point out that unless aberration gives immunity to ability drain and damage this will be really easy to take out for any one who knows about these things or happens to notice "Gosh that thing is really uncharismatic".

I was considering making it immune to mind-affecting effects and charisma drain to begin with, but I thought that might be going too far. *Rubs chin*