PDA

View Full Version : Necromancer Control issue

GrinningDemon
2010-09-13, 11:43 AM
I have been thinking alot on my Dread Necromancer and a question comes to mind. How the heck do I control an Allip? The thing is all about fighting those that try to control it so I'm having a hard time thinking on how it works as a good summon without the dang thing trying to kill me too.

Moriato
2010-09-13, 12:48 PM
Check whatever spell or ability you're using to create or summon it, and it will tell you what you can do. If you control it, you control it. It doesn't matter if it wants to kill you, it can do only what you tell it to do, until you release it from your control. I can't find anything about an allip that would make it any harder to control than any other 4HD undead.

GrinningDemon
2010-09-13, 01:04 PM
Well the problem with it is the Allip has two things that give me issues controlling it, Madness and then the dang babble ability.
Madness:
o Anyone targeting an Allip with thought detection, mind control, or telepathic ability makes direct contact with its tortured mind and takes 1d4 points of Wisdom damage

Babble
o An Allip constantly mutters and whines to itself, creating a hypnotic effect. All sane creatures within 60 feet of the Allip must succeed on a DC 16 Will save or be affected as though by a hypnotism spell for 2d4 rounds. This is a sonic mind-affecting compulsion effect

arguskos
2010-09-13, 01:09 PM
Well the problem with it is the Allip has two things that give me issues controlling it, Madness and then the dang babble ability.
Madness:
o Anyone targeting an Allip with thought detection, mind control, or telepathic ability makes direct contact with its tortured mind and takes 1d4 points of Wisdom damage
That doesn't matter. Rebuke/Command Undead is none of the above.

Babble
o An Allip constantly mutters and whines to itself, creating a hypnotic effect. All sane creatures within 60 feet of the Allip must succeed on a DC 16 Will save or be affected as though by a hypnotism spell for 2d4 rounds. This is a sonic mind-affecting compulsion effect
Be a necropolitan. That makes you Undead, and Undead are immune to mind-affecting effects. :smallcool:

Moriato
2010-09-13, 01:16 PM
You shouldn't have to worry about the madness thing. You aren't targeting an allip with anything when you give it orders, just speaking to it, so unless whatever ability you're using to control it is specifically a mind control effect, you're fine.

The babbling is an issue. It's probably easiest just to order it to stay 60 feet away from you at all times.

Ormagoden
2010-09-13, 03:06 PM
Babble (Su)

An allip constantly mutters and whines to itself, creating a hypnotic effect. All sane creatures within 60 feet of the allip must succeed on a DC 16 Will save or be affected as though by a hypnotism spell for 2d4 rounds. This is a sonic mind-affecting compulsion effect.

Creatures that successfully save cannot be affected by the same allip’s babble for 24 hours. The save DC is Charisma-based.

There is no "insane" status. Make your necromancer "insane". Problem solved through fluff.

Also order it not to babble.
Which might be considered "something it doesn't want to do" If that's the case you only have to win an opposed charisma check to force it to do what you want.
Allips have an 18 cha.

Lamech
2010-09-13, 03:33 PM
To deal with the babble: Save. Thats really it. You'll be a little vunerable once per day, but its not a big deal.

arguskos
2010-09-13, 03:35 PM
There is no "insane" status. Make your necromancer "insane". Problem solved through fluff.
Well, the closest we can get to that is one of two things. 1. Part of the fluff text of Wisdom at 0 implies that you're catatonic due to the breakdown of the ability to tell things apart, ie. insanity. The other option is to get hit with the insanity spell. Neither is technically "you are now insane by D&D's understanding" but they're about as close as you can get.