PDA

View Full Version : Halfling druid/wizard?

Tholin
2010-09-13, 01:12 PM
I'm joining a running campaign with another friend on 3rd lvl. They're lacking a tank and have a bard as a healer, and since my mate is gonna play a barbarian, I was thinking to roll a druid (played cleric a few times, wanted to do something new)

I want to make a halfling druid, with a brixashulty as animal companion and probably the first lvl of halfling druid racial substitution level.
The brixashulty and the racial substitution level are both from Races of the Wild.
The brixashulty is a goatlike creature, with decent stats and a knockback attack.

I consider to multiclass with wizard, so i can give boost like True strike (cast spell, charge, next round attack with spear or throw a magic stone), Shield, Mage armor and the like. Mind that the Share spell special ability functions with non-druid spells.
The arcane hierophant PrC (also RoTW) would fit nicely with this build, starting at lvl 7. Rough sketch:
lvl 1, druid1, feat spellbond companion (phb II)
lvl 2, wiz 1
lvl 3, wiz 2, feat natural bond or theurgic bond
lvl 4, druid 2
lvl 5 wiz 3
lvl 6 druid 3, feat (taking suggestions)
lvl 7, arcane hierophant 1

Theurgic Bond (from dragon magazine) almost does the same as Natural Bond, but applies to your animal companion or your familiar. Since the arcane hierophant has an animal companion wich is also his familiar, does the feat give it bonusses on both sides?

Do spells cast from a scroll and wand also apply to the Share Spells ability? And i think effects from magic items dont apply?

Looking for tips/suggestions/experiences etc

Thanks

HunterOfJello
2010-09-13, 02:19 PM
In general, picking one spellcasting class and progressing in it completely is better than trying to use a prestige class to progress 2 spellcasting classes. However, playing an Arcane Heirophant can be a lot of fun if done properly

~

First of all, the method you stated out won't give you access to the Arcane Heirophant. A level 3 Wizard has +1 BAB and a level 3 Druid has +2 BAB. AH has a requirement of +4 BAB.

Check out the Arcane Heirophant Examined (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19868490/The_Arcane_Hierophant_Examined) guide for methods of entering into the class.

Practiced spellcaster is going to be a must for whichever build you choose. Item creation feats can also be a lot of fun since you have such a huge selection of spells available to you (even though they're at a slow rate).

~

If you're considering the Wizard class because of their buffing spells, then I would suggest taking another look at the Druid's spell list. If you have the PHB and Spell Compendium in hand then a Druid can be a very effective buffer and all around spellcaster.

A halfling pure Druid build could be extremely effective.

Strongheart Halfling would be the best choice along with skipping out on the 5th level racial substitution.

Leon
2010-09-15, 08:47 AM
Theurgic Bond (from dragon magazine) almost does the same as Natural Bond, but applies to your animal companion or your familiar. Since the arcane hierophant has an animal companion wich is also his familiar, does the feat give it bonusses on both sides?
Thanks

Once the PrC is under way the AC becomes your Companion and Familiar as one entity so it would give the bonus once.
Also of note is that you don't actually need to have a Familiar - just the potential to have one.