PDA

View Full Version : help with some ideas for my campaign(3.5)

Nick_mi
2010-09-13, 01:18 PM
Ok, so I'm relatively new, and my players are pretty awful. They are not optimised at all, and they don't have the greatest "combat" mindset, simply because well, they're inexperienced and have never really had a decent DM.

Anyways, party consists of(All level 2)

dragon shaman with a 18 str and a greatsword
Monk
Rogue/bard
NPC favored soul.

They're all 32 point buy ins, the NPC is a tid bit stronger.

What I want to do now is, they are going take a boat over to an island to visit the grave of a dead hero to hopefully obtain some information and or some items.

I'm looking for a little bit of help in that I want an encounter while they're on the water. I then plan on having them go through the forest, run into a couple of sail snakes, see if they get any rando encounters, and then have them come to some ruins(the burial place). They will be recieving legacy-esque weapons(weapons that level up and get stronger with them).

So I'm trying to figure out what I should make this mini-boss be. I want it to be memorable so I'm trying to do something kind of unique, or something that these guys will not have seen before (which should be easy as I believe they've only ever owned MM1, and they've only seen MM2 a couple of times, with no access to a lot of books).

So at the moment I'm thinking

*A good ghost/protector of the items left by the original hero. The hero wants to see them succeed, as this group is a chosen group to do something important, but he doesn't want to just give up his items to any ole wankers.

* Some strange beast who was attracted to the items magical powers and thus drawn to it

* Some gargoyles, because I think gargoyles would be fun, and it is just kind of sticking in my mind.

*????

Just looking for any kind of help. Thanks for reading my novel :)

valadil
2010-09-13, 01:23 PM
I'm looking for a little bit of help in that I want an encounter while they're on the water. I then plan on having them go through the forest, run into a couple of sail snakes, see if they get any rando encounters, and then have them come to some ruins(the burial place). They will be recieving legacy-esque weapons(weapons that level up and get stronger with them).

One encounter I've always wanted to run takes place on a boat that gets attacked by kraken. You draw out the boat on a couple sheets of paper, allowing the whole thing to move around the water with the player minis on it. As the kraken attacks the boat, rip of sections of it. Hopefully with players still attached.

Nick_mi
2010-09-13, 01:35 PM
remember, they're level 2. They don't necessarily have to beat the beast, but they'll need to fight it off enough for it's primal instincts to go "oh ****, I need to gtfo before these guys kill me".

valadil
2010-09-13, 01:48 PM
remember, they're level 2. They don't necessarily have to beat the beast, but they'll need to fight it off enough for it's primal instincts to go "oh ****, I need to gtfo before these guys kill me".

True. Instead of a kraken you could run the same idea but against a pirate ship with cannons.

Nick_mi
2010-09-13, 02:49 PM
Right, but I'm not sending them in a ship with cannons. They're looking at a free boat(they only have to go about 10 miles), and not much gold to do otherwise. Think english channel at it's narrowest, except england is a lot smaller of an island.

Shyftir
2010-09-13, 03:09 PM
Vampire/undead version of anything large and snakey. I had a DM through us at a giant constrictor snake, that just happened to be vampiric as well. With a lower level party perhaps a zombie version instead.

We had this awesome fight as it would jump in and out of the water and attempt to rip us off the boat. We beat it by our wizard using defenestrating sphere to juggle it into the air and our cleric blasting it continually with the "Light of" spell chain out of the spell compendium. Anyway highly memorable.

Nick_mi
2010-09-13, 03:22 PM
Sounds a bit hefty, but yeah that's what I did in another instance of this cmapaign I ran, except it was a shark.

Nick_mi
2010-09-14, 02:40 AM
Still looking for some ideas. Gonna start planning tommorrow