PDA

View Full Version : Quick question

Piedmon_Sama
2010-09-13, 02:05 PM
I have a showdown coming up with a True Necromancer in my campaign. She has a tarantula familiar. I know I've seen it somewhere before, but I can't remember, what bonus does a spider familiar give the user? Was it immunity to poison or something? Tx in advance.

aeauseth
2010-09-13, 02:46 PM
Spider isn't a SRD familiar, and I seriously doubt it gives immunity to anything (way overpowered) unless the improved familiar feat is used. Likely provdes +2/3 to a skill.

Is this a DM run villian? If so then he/she can cheat as much as they see fit and probably glossed over some rules to make it fit the theme.

If this is a PC then just ask the PC what source they used for a spider familiar.

hamishspence
2010-09-13, 02:48 PM
Monsters of Faerun has the Hairy Spider familiar- smaller and weaker than a Tiny Monstrous Spider- can't remember what it grants offhand though.

Piedmon_Sama
2010-09-13, 03:06 PM
I coulda sworn Tiny Spider was a valid familiar from ONE of the books. Libris Mortis, maybe? :smallconfused:

Ormagoden
2010-09-13, 03:15 PM
I'll tell you what it doesn't give the true necromancer.

Immunity to fire.

hamishspence
2010-09-13, 03:22 PM
A feat in Drow of the Underdark: Spider Companion (requires the Vermin Trainer feat) allows you to take a Tiny (or Small, or Medium) spider as an Animal Companion. If you are higher level, you can take a larger spider.

Dragon 323, in its Class Acts section, suggests using mouse stats to represent a spider, and grants +3 to Sleight of Hand.

Hairy Spiders, according to Monsters of Faerun, grant no extra ability- and are of Fine size.

zagan
2010-09-13, 03:27 PM
In addition to what hamishspence said if he took the Improve familiar feat he could have gained a Small Monstrous spider it's an option from Complete Scoundrel. No benefit.

Piedmon_Sama
2010-09-13, 03:30 PM
Oh, sorry I didn't make it clear before, I'm actually the DM. I've had this Necromancer (and other key NPCs) statted up for months but I lost all my campaign junk when I moved back from university. I know she had a tiny spider familiar but I can't remember where I got it from.

Maybe I just homebrewed it. Oh well, thanks guys. XD

hamishspence
2010-09-13, 03:38 PM
For another option- Dragon 329 allows people with the Improved Familiar feat to take Swarm Familiars- which includes spiders.

Piedmon_Sama
2010-09-13, 03:47 PM
Oh my God I'm having a lot of fun thinking of combining that with touch attacks O_O