PDA

View Full Version : DND Low Magic Campaign

KingOfLaughter
2010-09-13, 03:58 PM
So I'm running a low magic campaign with some freinds, (an idea I got from a fellows campaign on this very site). I'm guuna do what he did and post journals of play as we go. (Note my campaign will have similarities to his (such as the changing of some magic weapon traits to skilled craftsman style things keen=very sharp)

Anyways I'll post it as we go.
-The King

Side note I'm playing an NPC which tags along with the NPCs as I only have two players ATM

Shenanigans
2010-09-13, 04:03 PM
That sounds like a lot of fun. When I DM, I've always thought the proliferation and customization of magic items kind of detracted from a lot of the fun, especially when many items are "must-haves." I tried to correct this once by giving the characters items I thought they would like and that would be appropriate to the characters concept-wise, but they ended up just selling a lot of them. :)

I'll be interested to hear how things go for you.

KingOfLaughter
2010-09-13, 04:06 PM
That sounds like a lot of fun. When I DM, I've always thought the proliferation and customization of magic items kind of detracted from a lot of the fun, especially when many items are "must-haves." I tried to correct this once by giving the characters items I thought they would like and that would be appropriate to the characters concept-wise, but they ended up just selling a lot of them. :)

I'll be interested to hear how things go for you.

To be honest I'm new to Dming so the whole magic thing confuses me. I'm using this idea for one an interesting campaign and two so i can learn at an easier rate. :D I tried once to give them stuff I KNEW they could use, but it was wasted.

Tyndmyr
2010-09-13, 04:06 PM
As an alternative to the tag-along NPC, I suggest having each player run multiple characters. It's interesting(I've done up to 6 chars per player, and the tactical level of such games are a blast), and it lowers the amount of things that you, the DM, needs to run.

KingOfLaughter
2010-09-13, 04:08 PM
As an alternative to the tag-along NPC, I suggest having each player run multiple characters. It's interesting(I've done up to 6 chars per player, and the tactical level of such games are a blast), and it lowers the amount of things that you, the DM, needs to run.

I think that while we could run multiple characters we'd all prefer to run one, although thanks for the tip.

KingOfLaughter
2010-09-13, 05:51 PM
If anyone has any notes on useable classes (both homebrew and legit) or non magic uses/ways to use magic classes please inform me.

Gavinfoxx
2010-09-13, 09:33 PM
For this low magic campaign, you are outlawing spellcasting like abilities in the hands of the PC's, right?

Otherwise the gap between spellcasting classes and nonspellcasting classes would be too great...

Here are some non spellcasting classes

Rogue
Ranger (non spellcasting, complete warrior)
Paladin (nonspellcasting variant, complete warrior)
Fighter
Barbarian
Knight
Marshal
Ninja
Samurai
Scout
Swashbuckler
Crusader
Warblade
Expert (yes, with the RIGHT skills, this npc class can be really really useful in a party...)

Note that there is a fairly big power disparity between some of these classes -- a Warblade is much more powerful than a Fighter or Samurai, for example, and a Crusader is much more powerful than the nonspellcasting Paladin. Consider giving the lower power ones some more benefits, maybe free gestalt with Warrior, things like that.

If I had that list, I would consider the main 'relatively powerful' builds a Ranger/Scout Swift Hunter, a Rogue/Swashbuckler Daring Outlaw, a Barbarian, a Warblade, or a Crusader.

KingOfLaughter
2010-09-14, 12:26 AM
For this low magic campaign, you are outlawing spellcasting like abilities in the hands of the PC's, right?

Otherwise the gap between spellcasting classes and nonspellcasting classes would be too great...

Here are some non spellcasting classes

Rogue
Ranger (non spellcasting, complete warrior)
Paladin (nonspellcasting variant, complete warrior)
Fighter
Barbarian
Knight
Marshal
Ninja
Samurai
Scout
Swashbuckler
Crusader
Warblade
Expert (yes, with the RIGHT skills, this npc class can be really really useful in a party...)

Note that there is a fairly big power disparity between some of these classes -- a Warblade is much more powerful than a Fighter or Samurai, for example, and a Crusader is much more powerful than the nonspellcasting Paladin. Consider giving the lower power ones some more benefits, maybe free gestalt with Warrior, things like that.

If I had that list, I would consider the main 'relatively powerful' builds a Ranger/Scout Swift Hunter, a Rogue/Swashbuckler Daring Outlaw, a Barbarian, a Warblade, or a Crusader.

I'm blocking off magic almost completely (besides quest related stuff) (and using some things Eldarieal (hopefully i spelt that right) sent me. The skill point and ability boosts plus the new HP system) I have a list of classes that I'm allowing (all non magic or non magic variants), thanks for the list I'll check em out and decide which ones i'm allowing and not allowing.

Gavinfoxx
2010-09-14, 01:38 AM
If you are doing no magic... the best healing item is basically that Alchemical Healing Salve item from Lords of Darkness (a 3.0e book, and that is the most recent version of the item, and tells how to make it, and that it is plant based).

If anyone wants to make the stuff, and thereby be capable of *providing healing to the party,* tell them "get lots of Intelligence, access to an expensive masterwork Alchemy Lab, a helper or two with ranks in Craft Alchemy to try to Aid Another, and high skill in Craft Alchemy, Knowledge Nature, Survival, and Profession (Herbalist)."

Also of importance will be getting someone with a high Wisdom five ranks in the Heal Skill, and the skill trick Healing Hands from Complete Scoundrel.

Also, if there isn't going to be magical equipment, mundane equipment that solves problems becomes more important. And traveling with HELPERS and ASSISTANTS to do things that might otherwise be done with magic becomes more important... as does traveling with lots of packmules! Look at equipment options here:

http://chet.kindredcircle.org/pdf/DnD3.5Index-Equipment.pdf
http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.0Index-Equipment.pdf

Pay special attention to the medical stuff.. and there are some "pre costed equipment packs" online, read those, and familiarize yourself with the alchemical stuff in them, and put those and other interesting alchemical items as treasure.