PDA

View Full Version : Needing some class...[3.5]

Benejeseret
2010-09-13, 05:15 PM
I need some help and direction with a character concept.

What I would like to build is a curse-based character with a theme along the lines of a gypsy or even voodoo priest (without heavy animate undead) with a fondness for curses, debuffs, and maybe some voodoo-doll control/enchantment spells.

Now, I love the Hexblade and feel it *could* be a great place to start. With the suggested updates floating around online by the original author to boost the class it is decent but does not yet fit quite my ideal. A big reason for this is the lack of Bestow Curse from their spell list. Why is this one missing? It is perhaps the premier spell that I would expect SHOULD be on their list and maybe even as a lvl3 like a cleric.

What I would like to find is some mechanics to model the following 2 things:

1. Voodoo-doll control or pain to opponent. Could be general like a Focus spell component caster or specific to each race/person if such mechanic exists. Lots of possibilities here.

2. Able to cast/inflict curses on opponents (such as Hexblade or by spells). Ideally, I would really like to have some ability to actually create cursed items as per the Create Wondrous Items feat or somesuch that through trickery and cunning could hamper opponents.

So, how do I optimize this concept the best I can into DnD 3.5 game terms assuming most books are allowed?

Zom B
2010-09-13, 05:23 PM
Probably the easiest way would be straight Cleric. Using spells like Bane and Doom at first and Bestow Curse when you get it (Isn't there a lesser bestow in one of the books?), and incorporating the voodoo doll as part of your spellcasting would be nice flavor-wise. Maybe work out a variant where you can use Turn Undead attempts to do the Hexblade Hex.

mootoall
2010-09-13, 06:46 PM
I used Jarrick's Witch (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164783&highlight=Witch+Version) for a campaign, and it seems very capable of what you're talking about. Though I don't think it can animate undead.

gorfnab
2010-09-13, 07:37 PM
Dread Necromancer from Heroes of Horror has a lot of debuffs (including Bestow Curse) and can animate dead.

Otherwise if you can take a look at Paizo' Pathfinder version of the Witch. It has a lot of debuff spells, it has hexes as a class ability, and it can cast bestow curse. You could easily swap out the witch's familiar for say a tiny living construct voodoo doll.

Rixx
2010-09-13, 07:45 PM
The Pathfinder Advanced Player's Guide witch seems like just the thing you need: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/witch

Zaq
2010-09-13, 09:17 PM
Warlocks can get Bestow Curse at-will as a Lesser Invocation, which I believe means level 6. They have a few other debuffs as well, though most of their debuffs come wrapped up in a lazor pew pew.

I can't think of any direct voodoo doll effects off the top of my head, but a little creative refluffing goes a long way.

Benejeseret
2010-09-14, 11:00 AM
Hmmm...

That witch (either one) actually looks pretty good. Thanks!

Question though, are either considered srd (ie. published) or are both home-brew? Basically, how hard a sell would either be to DM's who usually only allow books?

gorfnab
2010-09-14, 01:15 PM
Hmmm...

That witch (either one) actually looks pretty good. Thanks!

Question though, are either considered srd (ie. published) or are both home-brew? Basically, how hard a sell would either be to DM's who usually only allow books?
The Paizo Pathfinder Witch has been published in book (http://paizo.com/store/downloads/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG/v5748btpy8b6g) form. Paizo was the company that used to publish Dragon Magazine before the switch to 4.0. Pathfinder is their new line of D20 compatible material. A lot of people refer to it as 3.75 since it still looks and plays pretty much the same as 3.5 but does fix a number of issues present in 3.5.