PDA

View Full Version : Surviving the sleep spam and tanks.

Orzel
2010-09-13, 06:11 PM
Everyone does the what class would you be thing. But imagine if it were real.

Imagine...

Every living D&D player receives a small glowing orb. The orb displays this message to its holder:

"Choose one 3.5 D&D base class and its powers are yours. You will gain all the features of a 1st level character of that class. Every living D&D player has one of these orbs. And yes, you can level up. Choose now."

What do you do?

Remember
1) Every person who knows anything about the game has one of these things.
2) At first, the normals will have the police and military kill "adventurers" on sight because someone will pick evocation wizard and make us all look bad. So if you go crazy with power, you better be able to at least flip cop cars.
3) You are just a pile of XP to a couple people.
4) There's maybe a couple thousand wizards with sleep, color spray, and handguns out there. And maybe some fighters.
5) Someone has to make the magic items. It's gonna be a while before you can buy them.

What do you do?!
I dunno. The squishy are too squishy. And the "tough early" classes tend to stink if some primary spellcaster manages to live long and goes all evil.

mootoall
2010-09-13, 06:16 PM
Well, the easy way to do it would be Wizard, and stay completely hidden. Go to Yellowstone for a "weekend trip", kill some wolves, and come back. Repeat until you've gained two levels. Congratulations, you now have protection from arrows (which, incidentally, works against bullets.)

arguskos
2010-09-13, 06:17 PM
I'd do one of a few things.

Option 1: Binder. Set myself up as a cult leader due to literally being able to summon dark and eldritch beings from beyond the Veil. Profit. Don't piss anyone powerful off.

Option 2: Wizard. Select Enchantment. Go to town making life comfy for myself and maintaining a nice low profile.

Option 3: Call up everyone I am friends with that plays D&D and inform them of the situation. Form an adventuring company of sorts with them. Go to town. I'd probably be a Binder, angling for Anima Mage, in that situation.

gooddragon1
2010-09-13, 06:18 PM
Everyone does the what class would you be thing. But imagine if it were real.

Imagine...

Every living D&D player receives a small glowing orb. The orb displays this message to its holder:

"Choose one 3.5 D&D base class and its powers are yours. You will gain all the features of a 1st level character of that class. Every living D&D player has one of these orbs. And yes, you can level up. Choose now."

What do you do?

Remember
1) Every person who knows anything about the game has one of these things.
2) At first, the normals will have the police and military kill "adventurers" on sight because someone will pick evocation wizard and make us all look bad. So if you go crazy with power, you better be able to at least flip cop cars.
3) You are just a pile of XP to a couple people.
4) There's maybe a couple thousand wizards with sleep, color spray, and handguns out there. And maybe some fighters.
5) Someone has to make the magic items. It's gonna be a while before you can buy them.

What do you do?!
I dunno. The squishy are too squishy. And the "tough early" classes tend to stink if some primary spellcaster manages to live long and goes all evil.

Psion. I don't care if it isn't as powerful as a wizard. I just love psionics. Planeshift to another dimension to avoid fights probably. Also: Dorje of True Creation+Master Dorje=Free stuff. Also sustenance for food. Also infinite power point cheese. Probably crazier stuff with wizards but I don't care. Also, turn myself into an elan.

Eldariel
2010-09-13, 06:19 PM
I'd be a Conjurer. With Abrupt Jaunt. Banning Necromancy and Evocation. And then I'd profit. Wizards are only squishy if you don't know what you're doing. I know what I'm doing and as such, never in a hundred battles would I be in danger. And I'd have the power to shape the world. Though this assumes we'd get the damn spellbook, of course. Otherwise I'd be a Beguiler. Wizard would also be able to make magic items which is all kinds of awesome.

ExtravagantEvil
2010-09-13, 06:21 PM
I'd pick wizard and just have fun with cantrips from there on in, occasionally gain XP, but even then, Magic missile, mage hand, and prestidigitation are all I need

Edit: That, or I'd go into Rouge and just focus on Physical skills so I could freerun and jump, flip, cartwheel and just leap from rooftop to rooftop.

Zeful
2010-09-13, 06:32 PM
I'd be a Conjurer. With Abrupt Jaunt. Banning Necromancy and Evocation. And then I'd profit. Wizards are only squishy if you don't know what you're doing. I know what I'm doing and as such, never in a hundred battles would I be in danger. And I'd have the power to shape the world. Though this assumes we'd get the damn spellbook, of course. Otherwise I'd be a Beguiler. Wizard would also be able to make magic items which is all kinds of awesome.

Please note that Abrupt Jaunt can't actually dodge attacks.

The Glyphstone
2010-09-13, 06:37 PM

Well, ranged attacks. It'll escape a baseball bat or tire iron just fine.

gallagher
2010-09-13, 06:41 PM
cleric. the good guys wouldnt be actively trying to kill me because i am a good cleric. i am very wise (not just me saying that, i make good decisions with plenty of forethought) so i have a few extra spells, i am definitely in with the magic and inquisition domains, i would be cloistered and have knowledge devotion, and i am pretty charismatic (at least a 13 in CHA) so i have a few turn undeads to purn on persist when i get to a high enough level.

until then i could probably protect myself with spells and buff other guys to gain my XP

tyckspoon
2010-09-13, 06:43 PM
hmm. My choice would be based on whether or not the orb would also tell you what your stats are.. I mean, everybody wants to think they'd make an excellent Wizard. But what if you're actually only Int 12? You'd be a pretty marginal Wizard, even with game-system knowledge.

Assuming I have to make a blind pick (on the fairly safe guess that I wildly overestimate my own personal statline) I would pick Warlock. Take Beguiling Influence and Win Friends and Influence People my way up a corporate ladder. Or become a wildly successful salesman. Maybe go into politics. Could pretty much do whatever I wanted- that +6 in the 3 primary social skills is a huge edge in a world where most of the rest of the populace is unclassed.

Glimbur
2010-09-13, 06:45 PM
Bard. I'd have to either carry my cello everywhere or get a lot better at singing, but bard song is pretty amazing. Then there are all the other social skills, and the spells... as long as I don't make any enemies who end up being powerful full-casters I should be ok. Maybe I won't rule the world, but that's ok.

Jallorn
2010-09-13, 06:49 PM
Warlock. I love the invocations available. And I'd be able to detect magic at level two, so that's always fun.

snoopy13a
2010-09-13, 06:49 PM
I'd be a level 1 rogue with 18 charisma and respectable intelligence and wisdom.

I'd pump up diplomacy, bluff, sense motive, and profession (lawyer). I'd pick up the negotiator and persuasive feats.

Then I'll a successful plaintiffs lawyer. I'll be making tons of money and I'll get to star in commericals shown on daytime TV :smallsmile: .

I'll let the wizards fight over the world, who cares about that :smalltongue:

Malakar
2010-09-13, 06:56 PM

Yes it can.

According to a strict reading, you can actually dodge anything at all that isn't a targeted spell.

You can dodge arrows and bullets and orbs of force and disintegrates all day.

You can also "Dodge" Fleshshivers and such by the simple expedient of being with 9ft of a wall. Something a lot easier in todays cities than in the typical D&D game.

kestrel404
2010-09-13, 06:58 PM
I am well aware that I have very high int, very low wis, and purely average charisma. So obviously I'll choose beguiler. I mean seriously, how high can the will save of the average politician be? Also, where are all of these wizards planning on getting new spells from? You only get 2 per level gained, and other than that you're SOL without somebody writing down the 2 they chose on scrolls and trading with you (good luck convincing other wizards to part with THEIR precious spells if you didn't pick something they desperately need!)

zorba1994
2010-09-13, 06:59 PM
Bard.

Time to become a rock star with my bardic songs.

Eldariel
2010-09-13, 07:02 PM

1) Let's not have that thread again.
2) It can make attacks impossible, which is as good as dodging them.

Most importantly, it's excellent for getting out of the area-of-effect of spells you've identified.

Kiren
2010-09-13, 07:07 PM
Psion or Druid, I can't decide yet, but the Druid's neutral alignment may hinder me depending on change of outlook.

I would go with Psion.

The Glyphstone
2010-09-13, 07:24 PM
Since I don't believe I have very high stats, I'd go with Warlock or Binder. Probably Binder, because it wouldn't necessitate an alignment change.

WitchSlayer
2010-09-13, 07:26 PM
Dread Necromancer. Start a labor company made entirely out of the undead.

tbarrie
2010-09-13, 07:26 PM
What do you do?!

Search out all the sad people who picked Wizard only to discover they don't have the 12 Int required to cast first-level spells, then laugh at them.

BeholderSlayer
2010-09-13, 07:27 PM
I would be a power hungry wizard. That's right, I said it. I would "farm XP" like it was World of Warcraft.

The Glyphstone
2010-09-13, 07:29 PM
Search out all the sad people who picked Wizard only to discover they don't have the 12 Int required to cast first-level spells, then laugh at them.

Technically you only need 11 Int to cast 1st-level spells. Just saying.:smallsmile:

Schylerwalker
2010-09-13, 07:31 PM
This is an excellent question, and I agree with a previous poster that it really helps if we know what our statistics are. I have taken a butt-load of online tests and most of my gaming friends agree with the results, but they most certainly aren't definitive. But there IS a strong pattern.

So, what do I do with: Str 9, Dex 14, Con 11, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 17?

Well, probably bard. Though part of me wants to go non-spellcasting paladin or ranger. I'm probably not Lawful Good, though I could definitely pull off Chaotic Good and be a paladin of freedom.

Alright, bard to start with then. I'm pretty good at singing and a sub-par dancer, but I'm no good with any instrument but a drum. I've got scattered skill points in most bard skills, mostly the social ones and Knowledges (Friendly nerd). Maybe a Profession, and then some stealth, and then...you get the idea. I've also taken plenty of sword-fighting lessons, so that explains proficiencies. And I can use a whip now. Sweet.

So first I'll go find all of my gaming buddies (JerichoPenumbra, who's on this forum, among them) and find out what they went with. Probably at least one wizard, maybe another bard, druid, fighter, ranger...pretty good range of class choices.

Then we'd form an adventuring party and go fight gangs and break up drug dens, sex trafficking rings, terrorist cells...basically become super-heroes. In fact, yeah, super-heroes, definitely.

I'd continue with bard for a level or two, then go into paladin and take Devoted Performer. Eventually go for Snowflake Wardance and things like Imperious Command.

EDIT: Tempted to take flaws, but I'll just go with the Character Traits Skinny an Near-Sighted. :p

Zeful
2010-09-13, 07:34 PM
Yes it can.

According to a strict reading, you can actually dodge anything at all that isn't a targeted spell.

You can dodge arrows and bullets and orbs of force and disintegrates all day.

You can also "Dodge" Fleshshivers and such by the simple expedient of being with 9ft of a wall. Something a lot easier in todays cities than in the typical D&D game.

Does Abrupt Jaunt specify that you get to move before the action that triggers it? Do you realize how little that helps from a rules perspective? If you jaunt after the attack has already been rolled then it's already hit you and Jaunting's useless unless Abrupt Jaunt specifies that it can be used to negate otherwise successful attacks. If you Jaunt before it's been rolled and you are no longer a valid target (Jaunting behind Total Cover for example) then the attacker gets to chose a new target.

Jaunt while an immediate action isn't reactionary. You can only "dodge" attacks by jaunting before the attack and making yourself a non-valid target for the attack type. There's an entire thread that discussed this. It stopped being about the rules and more about how it should be able to do this but is unable to.

1) Let's not have that thread again.
2) It can make attacks impossible, which is as good as dodging them.

Most importantly, it's excellent for getting out of the area-of-effect of spells you've identified.
1.)If people insist on being incorrect about the RAW, I'm going to correct them.
2.)But it's not the same thing.

snoopy13a
2010-09-13, 07:38 PM
Since I don't believe I have very high stats, I'd go with Warlock or Binder. Probably Binder, because it wouldn't necessitate an alignment change.

I'm assuming a 32 point buy under this scenario.

Still, I'd probably pick rogue anyway because the skill points and skill set allows for pretty decent real world applicaitons.

Gorgondantess
2010-09-13, 07:40 PM
Grab levels in cleric, grind like hell until I can grab plane shift, and get the hell out of this dimension before someone learns mindrape and it becomes tippyverse.

Of course, in keeping with the spirit of the thread, I'd go sorcerer due to the unavailability of scrolls and have alarm & color spray for my spells. Sudden extend so by 2nd level I could be protected from being ganked in my sleep, and eschew materials due to unavailability of spell component pouches. I'd focus on protection spells while I grab a gun, move to the mountains and live off the land. Once I've gotten to the point that cougars don't give me any xp, I cautiously sojourn into society to see what's up. As a sorcerer as opposed to a wizard, I'd likely be patronized, but I also wouldn't be taken seriously and thus would live.
I'd also figure out a way to make sure mindrape won't work on me. Seriously.

Force
2010-09-13, 07:44 PM
Druid. I get a lot of the power of wizard without being really really squishy. Possibly straight cleric as an alternative-- healing spells would be useful in my profession.

Malakar
2010-09-13, 07:51 PM
Jaunt while an immediate action isn't reactionary. You can only "dodge" attacks by jaunting before the attack and making yourself a non-valid target for the attack type. There's an entire thread that discussed this. It stopped being about the rules and more about how it should be able to do this but is unable to.

Immediate action can be used at any time.

There is a time t, where a spell has been cast, a target selected, but no attack roll made.

At that time t, you choose to Jaunt your way behind a building, and then, they can't attack someone else, because they already choose a target.

Not that it matters of course, because you aren't a party in this hypothetical world, so if someone shoots an empty wall because they cast a spell and didn't choose a target, and you jaunted, so they picked a different target of a wall, who cares?

SurlySeraph
2010-09-13, 08:01 PM
I'd focus on survivability, but try to maintain some flexibility to avoid getting stuck as someone's meat shield. If I knew I had 15 Int, I'd start with Factotum and take Font of Inspiration with both my starting feats. 5 IP is pretty handy. Next/ if I didn't qualify, I'd go into Warblade. Battle Clarity and Moment of Perfect Mind provide good ways to deal with Reflex and Will saves when not blindsided or outnumbered by Sleep-spammers, and with judicious use of maneuvers and readied actions I could hold off a good percentage of opponents. After that, I'd try to join up with as many Lawful and/or Good people as I could find.

Alternately, Wizard + Fell Drain + metamagic reducers, because being able to insta-kill first-level people would be a huge asset as long as I could find someone willing to protect me when out of spell slots.

MachineWraith
2010-09-13, 08:01 PM
Just took the ability score test (http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/terragf/back/xstattest.html), and came up with the following:

STR: 15
DEX: 15
CON: 15
INT(pt1/pt2): 12/12
INT: 12
WIS: 15
CHA: 14

Woe! I expected a much higher INT score. Anybody ever scored over 15 in anything?

Anyway, with scores like that, I guess I'd be doing something physical. I suppose I'd go Swordsage.

Edit: Oooh! I could go for Glaivelock, too! Or really just Warlock in general. Probably my favorite class.

Yorrin
2010-09-13, 08:07 PM
I'd go with a Cloistered Cleric with Travel and Fire domains. Then I'd definitely go with the whole "form a party" thing. I know a Crusader, a Wizard, a Warlock/Rogue, and a Fighter/Monk just off-hand, which is well rounded enough to take on most adventures.

EDIT: Just took the above test:
STR: 7
DEX: 12
CON: 10
INT: 15 (16/14)
WIS: 14
CHA: 13

Good enough stats for my build (this test seems to be based on E6, so I have pretty good Wis for my spells).

MarkusWolfe
2010-09-13, 08:17 PM
Presuming I get to enhance my stats (without decreasing any that I currently have), I'd have to say barbarian.

Kiren
2010-09-13, 08:21 PM
Psion for many reasons is an epic choice and is my choice. After consideration that I can do more with a psion then any class at low and high levels, especially granting some well needed low level AC.

Quick thing, can I steal orbs from the undecided?

randomhero00
2010-09-13, 08:34 PM
Warlock, and laugh at all the people who took wizard with low int scores. Several other pluses as well.

For one, unlimited magic. In real life scenarios its much more likely that you'd go days without seeing a fight and then suddenly be thrust into a chaotic situation that might last all day (imagine a riot...with wizards.) Unlike in DnD which allows you to safely go nova, you'd be thrust into situations where you'd need to run for your life. You might have to go several days without sleep if you were on the run from an evil adventuring group.

Fast healing/DR/energy resistance: The DR and ER is up indefinitely. Which means I could go hide in the arctic and be fine. They'd be up permanently and I wouldn't have to worry about allocating spell slots and getting enough sleep to cast them. The fast healing would just be sweet in real life. In DnD this isn't much healing, but IRL it'd be a ton (because you likely wouldn't see more than 1 fight a month.)

Imbue item! I can craft magic items without needing the spells! This would be hugely beneficial in a world where spells just became a heck of a lot rarer.

Quietus
2010-09-13, 09:01 PM
Paranoid warlock, who can't help but show off when I get the chance. If I can make it to the point that I can start making scrolls, I'll start a nice sideline in providing all these scroll-less wizards with spellbook materials.. minus the really broken stuff, of course. Sorry old chap, never really was all that good with Shivering Touch~

Oh, and I'd need a monocle. To focus my Warlock Death Rays through, of course.

Gerrtt
2010-09-13, 09:04 PM
I'd go with a druid and make my cat my animal companion and then sick her on any commoners that came after me. I mean, a regular house-cat is bad enough, but if we turn it into an animal companion...

AmberVael
2010-09-13, 09:05 PM
As long as I have Wisdom 11 (and I'd like to think I have at least that much), I'd be a Druid.

My reasoning is sad and telling: Goodberry. No, I don't want awesome power. No, I don't want to be one of the most powerful classes in the game. I just want to save money by only needing a few berries for food.

That said, if I ever progressed beyond my need for lower bills, Druid would still be a good choice. Assuming I have decent Wisdom (heck, even 13 would be nice), I could cast some cool spells at higher levels. Further, I could have a magical, ferocious dog to guard me from those annoying fighters. Also, even if my Wisdom was terrible, I'd still have Wildshape.

But still. Goodberry.

SirLagsalot
2010-09-13, 09:19 PM
Artificer FTW!

Open up a lemonade stand at lvl 1 selling potions and junk.
Keep a low profile 'till I can make some friends (construct or otherwise).
Start a business supplying the world's armies with magical equipment.
Economically (or if that fails, brute force) take over the world.

MarkusWolfe
2010-09-13, 09:31 PM
Paranoid warlock, who can't help but show off when I get the chance. If I can make it to the point that I can start making scrolls, I'll start a nice sideline in providing all these scroll-less wizards with spellbook materials.. minus the really broken stuff, of course. Sorry old chap, never really was all that good with Shivering Touch~

Oh, and I'd need a monocle. To focus my Warlock Death Rays through, of course.

Here you go:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_4OYGjUrdllo/STRM99Uue0I/AAAAAAAAM0g/5pxx3HSk7b8/s400/xraymonocle.jpg
As a bonus, you can check if any rogues are hiding daggers on their person.

randomhero00
2010-09-13, 09:34 PM
This brings up an interesting question though, what do you think would happen if a bunch of DnD players suddenly had that kind of power?

How many people currently play DnD? A lot, but a lot less than 5% of the world's population I'd think. So at first I think it'd be real quiet, everyone would be showing off to their friends their new powers. There'd be a lot of new alliances and groups forming. Probably several would go into seclusion immediately.

Then I think people would start testing their new powers. Enchantment would be the most tempting. They'd steal money or whoever caught their eye...I think this would lead to the more lawful adventurers in trying to stop them. At first it'd be minor fights, probably few deaths. But eventually someone with connections to a powerful group would die and the wars would start.

Neutral types would go into hiding, while the rest took sides. Governments would get involved and become pawns or allies in the schemes of the adventurers.

....hey this would make a pretty cool campaign.

After the wars start all the weaklings would be killed and the stronger would grow even more powerful and we'd start seeing teleporting, scrying, maybe even ressurection. Clerics would be prized. Possibly neutral, with their own organization like the red cross.

I think in the end the factions with the highest level clerics on their side would gain dominance and we'd see a new world order with new laws and governments being rewritten. Suddenly to become president you'd need to be at least level 5...the police would be nothing more than watchdogs for the normal citizens, there to call in the big guns when the sh!t hits the fan.

Eventually magic items and scrolls will come into play. Suddenly normal citizens will have a chance at power and we'll get new level 1s springing up to start the cycle all over again. Then comes the few that make it so far to the top they become bored with the mundane events and start creating magical monsters and golems. Pretty soon our world looks like a real DnD setting.

Temotei
2010-09-13, 09:42 PM
Cleric. Knowing all my spells as soon as I acquire them? Yes, please. Spontaneous healing is awesome, and a bunch of the cleric spells would be great to have for utility...and combat, if need be. Being moderately paranoid, I'd probably select one or two combat spells per day.

Now to pick a god to worship...or maybe an ideal.

My little brother would probably pick barbarian.

Veros
2010-09-13, 09:59 PM
I like most reasonably sane people... Have a group of friends that play D&D and work well together. Our number? 23. :smallamused: We'd have enough variety of classes the usefulness of a Crusader (in Mechanus Gear with an Extreme Shield) or a Wizard (Transmutation Focused Specialist, banning Evocation, Enchantment, and Illusion of course) would not be overlooked but added into the dangers of the group.

Going by our personalities... I figure our group composition would be similar to...

3 Clerics
2 Druids
2 Wizards
1 Psion
1 Crusader
5 Swordsages/Rogues
2 Warblades
1 Sorcerer
1 Warlock
1 Barbarian
2 Duskblades
2 Factotums

Which might make a pretty effective/dangerous adventuring party, though exp would be lousy. (And yes, we'd probably have that many rogues or swordsages sadly.) I'm sure even a standard adventuring party can't hold water to our numbers. Especially when we do LARP together as well and know how to work together for tactics. >=]

avr
2010-09-13, 10:00 PM
Artificer. Those psycho first level wizards which will be wandering around now have a clear reason to want to keep you alive.

Xanmyral
2010-09-13, 10:04 PM
Well, if it went off of a point buy system, sorcerer. The amount of scrolls around would be appalling, and very small. Most wizards, unless if they formed groups together and shared spells, would have very few spells. As a sorcerer, I would probably focus on blasting spells, something fancy. Defiantly Prestidigitation for my first level zero spell, no more washing clothes for me. Would probably get sleep, or some other good area of affect spell for my first spell, and some blasting spell/protection spell. I would lay low, since showing off would entice others to notice me, which would be bad in most cases. I know a few DnD friends, but I'm known as the more 'evilish' one of the group, so I should probably stay away from them. Not really evil, but more of a True Neutral, with chaotic tendencies. Would focus more on the necromancy aspect, since those spells would be the ones to strike my fancy first, and would allow me to not have to worry about getting in a group for protection. I know for sure one of my friends will be a psion, so would have to avoid her for as long as I possible could, since she is rather sketchy at best. I doubt she would kill me, but I wouldn't put it past her to find some way to control me... So I guess mind control defenses would be my top priority after I manage to secure my self. All in all, I would be a very paranoid man, with spontaneous arcane power at my finger tips. I would probably inadvertently be attacked by some good group of adventurers, thinking I was evil or something, while I actually just have a soft spot for the undead, and am very paranoid. I did mention that, right?

If by real stats, I took some tests recently with my stats averaged as
Str - 9-10
Dex - 10-11
Con - 10
Int - 13-15
Wis - 14-15
Cha - 9-10
I'm fairly certain they would be around these, but not that sure. Wizard would seem a good choice, but only if I got a spell book. As well as the fact that since spells would be not something everyone would get often, I would be at a disadvantage. Could probably go cleric, but that whole deity thing would probably disqualify me, since I'm not very religious. Druid? Couldn't care less about nature... Don't have the stats for a monk, rogue, fighter, barbarian, ranger... So it would unfortunately be limited to wizard, or some other class that rely on int/wis. But these are just rough estimations at best of my stats, so it's probably give or take a few points due to human error, or bias.

Cealocanth
2010-09-13, 10:12 PM
That's a hard question. One of the things I like about RPing is the ability to be the person you feel like you want to be at the time. If I want to be a wizard at one time, great. I get into the character, allow him to grow, then when his end comes, whether by death or by epic destiny, I let him go and roll up something completely different.

To be restricted to a single set of abilities when the potential is there for immense diversity, it's a really hard desicion to make.

As far as 3.5 classes go, I think I'll go with ranger. They have a connecion with life around them, although not so connected that they are life around them like druids. They also have some great combat abilities and are good at the bow, which have always been one of my favorite weapons.

I think I'd take these abilities slowly, not go out and throw myself against the government and the world for the sake of the power. Then again, when in possesion of all this power, who knows what I'd do?

Xefas
2010-09-13, 10:31 PM
Cleric seems tempting. You might be able to use it to figure out if any of our religions are right. Like "Yo, Vishnu, I am your humble servant. Can I get a Cure Light Wounds?" If no, rinse and repeat with each deity in turn.

If there happens to be no actual gods or afterlives or what-have-you, then I've only wasted one level. There's still time to switch to Wizard. If I can just manage 12 Intelligence, then I can start working with Fox's Cunning and crafting +Int items to propel me into being able to cast higher level spells.

The idea is just to survive by any means necessary until I can murder enough people/things to get the higher level spells. Then once I can Genesis, Astral Projection, and Polymorph Any Object, I'm a functionally immortal pseudo-deity, and I never have to worry about death in any form. That's when things actually get interesting.

Not that it's likely that I'll survive to get 9th level spells (18th level, in my scheme), but you have to have something to shoot for. Knowing that the possibility to become a god was there, I don't think I could live with myself if I picked any other class.

(Of course, if the whole Cleric thing pans out, and there are already deities among us, the plan is simple. Just do whatever the hell they say. If I die, so what? I was a faithful follower of the One (Possibly Many) True God(s) - my afterlife is set.)

mobdrazhar
2010-09-13, 10:36 PM
knowing my personality i would end up being a Barbarian. All my friends know that when i get angry to step out of my way. This is do keep in check whenever possible.

I also have a love of 2 handed swords and am trained to use them

Kirgoth
2010-09-13, 10:40 PM
Id either go necromancer variant and get the corpsecrafting + death devotion and turn myself into an corpsecrafted, wight, making everyone on earth my wight buddies and eventually evolving and getting spellstiched.

or
Generic spellcaster with last breath as a spell when I attain L8 so all my buddies would be immortal without any of that mucking around with druids. Probably fey heritage feats/skin feats for L1 survivability from some damage reduction.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-09-13, 10:50 PM
Cloistered Cleric. Spontaneous variant. Heading into DMM Cheese.

Failing that, CG Warlock with a 2 level dip in Chameleon. I am a magic item mart. I make friends, favors, and a hell of a lot of cash. Of course, I'd still have Eldritch Glaive and Entropic Shield to protect myself with. Later on, I'd have Walk Unseen, Fly, and DimDoor. And that floating feat can also be used for another invocation. Pretty handy, that.

The Rabbler
2010-09-13, 10:50 PM
I would probably be a warblade (warblade/swordsage/Mot9 if multiclassing/prestige classes are allowed) so I can do anything I want completely non-magically while also having some good defenses against the mages that run the world. I'd probably be a thief/mercenary/adventuring company BSF to get by in the world. Living my life, perfecting my arts, being invincible (if I do ever get to that 8th level stance(Immortal Fortitude ftw)), and generally having fun. I imagine that jumping out of a plane without a parachute would be fairly exciting.

Regardless of your class, though, hitting the upper levels would make you a god among mortals. Even a CW Samurai would instill fear amongst the populace the likes of which had never been seen before. And I shudder to imagine leadership...

EDIT: Or, now that I think about it, a barbarian would be pretty fun. Hell, something like a barb/fist of the forest/bear warrior would be a great way to bring society to it's knees. Sure, there are stronger combos, but I really like being able to turn into a giant, angry bear.

Claudius Maximus
2010-09-13, 11:04 PM
Well, the first thing I'd do is ally with Doc Roc. He and his DM will rule the universe, mark my words.

Cleric would probably be my choice, though I might be suited for Wizard more due to having much higher intelligence than wisdom. I imagine Clerics would be valued for their restorative abilities, and they are pretty good crafters too.

Kylarra
2010-09-13, 11:06 PM
Dragonfire adept.

Nanoblack
2010-09-13, 11:15 PM
....hey this would make a pretty cool campaign.

This. Why doesn't somebody start recruiting?

EDIT: Also I'd probably be a dread necromancer. That early DR is too good to pass up and charnel touch would be tons of fun.

The Rabbler
2010-09-13, 11:20 PM
Also I'd probably be a dread necromancer. That early DR is too good to pass up and charnel touch would be tons of fun.

not to mention the hordes of undead after level 8.

Tyndmyr
2010-09-13, 11:21 PM
I go artificer or wizard, and make the magic items. Probably artificer.

Obviously, even the most power mad individuals are going to want to spend that pile of wealth on something that increases their power even more. Well, except for your VoP monk types, but for some reason, they don't worry me.

Plus, there's bound to be a few brand new adventurers out there willing to do things for discounted or free gear. I don't need to directly wield the power to be powerful.

Oh, and lest I forget, I know a fair number of people who play D&D, and routinely game with a bunch of optimizers. Having a selection of tricked out casters guarding each other's backs should help us make it through the initial days of chaos. Well, provided the more ADD among us don't do something terribly stupid.

Mertseger
2010-09-13, 11:34 PM
According to the above test, my ability scores are:

STR: 7
CON: 7
INT: 14
WIS: 16
CHA: 13

I rarely play non intelligence based casters, but it looks like I'd do better as a wisdom based class?

I like nature, but am not exactly the kind to worship it, and am an atheist..

So bard/ur-priest? :smalltongue:

(still not quite sure how I steal power from gods if I don't believe in them, but whatever)

Ihouji
2010-09-13, 11:42 PM
Druid or cleric all the way.

Anyone with healing ability would level so fast its silly. Walk into a hospital ER drop all your healing spells and rest to get them back.

Rinse and repeat, you'll be flying up levels in no time, doing basically nothing but siting around while all the chumps are out getting themselves killed. Not to mention I'm sure you would make more then a few friends in the process healing random people; after all actions speak louder then charisma scores.

The Rabbler
2010-09-13, 11:52 PM
Druid or cleric all the way.

Anyone with healing ability would level so fast its silly. Walk into a hospital ER drop all your healing spells and rest to get them back.

Rinse and repeat, you'll be flying up levels in no time, doing basically nothing but siting around while all the chumps are out getting themselves killed. Not to mention I'm sure you would make more then a few friends in the process healing random people; after all actions speak louder then charisma scores.

healing gives you xp?

Tyndmyr
2010-09-13, 11:56 PM
Well, by RAW, only if it's part of an encounter. So, you might have to be, like, a military medic or something. If you're actually healing people in combat, then hey, you're participating. You lose the safety aspect, sure, but you'll still be a very popular individual.

There'd be a coupla people who would immediately try to abuse their powers, sure. Theft and such. I think they'd be the exceptions, though. A single level worth of D&D power is such that you can legitimately never have to worry about being short of money and such again. Magical healing alone would be worth an immense sum of money to the right people, and the demand is great enough that you wouldn't have to worry about even a lot of people choosing it.

Specialized crafter is based on the same type of strategy, just with the goal of serving the now rich and powerful elites, rather than humanity at large.

Claudius Maximus
2010-09-14, 12:15 AM
Can anyone tell me why eggplant is the odd one out in that one question on that quiz? Right now I'm not seeing what pattern it breaks that isn't broken by at least one other thing.

Tyndmyr
2010-09-14, 12:22 AM
In seriousness, if someone wants to DM this, this could be a frigging awesome campaign.

Or living campaign, even.

mobdrazhar
2010-09-14, 12:44 AM
Can anyone tell me why eggplant is the odd one out in that one question on that quiz? Right now I'm not seeing what pattern it breaks that isn't broken by at least one other thing.

it starts with E whilst the others start with C

El Dorado
2010-09-14, 12:47 AM
Lightning Warrior. :smallwink:

Tyndmyr
2010-09-14, 12:48 AM
I would also like to make friends with whoever chooses to go Hulking Hurler. The ability to place things in orbit sounds fun.

Glyphic
2010-09-14, 12:54 AM
The aspect of using perform to go out and get gold, silver, and copper amuses me.

Remmirath
2010-09-14, 01:14 AM
Well, according to that test, my stats would be...

STR: 9
DEX: 13
CON: 12
WIS: 11

So, I suppose going by that (and I might as well), I would be best served by picking something with intelligence or charisma as the prime stat, and I should stay away from fighting classes. Wizard or sorcerer would probably be my best bet.

Wizard would be a problem because presumably there would not be scrolls just floating around. Therefore, I'd go with sorcerer. For spells I'd definitely go with Prestidigitation and Mage Hand for cantrips (because I'm kind of lazy), as well as Arcane Mark (just to be cool) and Daze (because it would might almost be useful to begin with). I'd probably go with Magic Missile and Shield for 1st level. If I survived, I'd likely go along the same pattern of about half damaging spells and half protection spells.

I'm guessing my little brother would go some kind of melee-type and my mom would go bard. A fair amount of the other people I know who play D&D would probably also be sturdier or support types, so I'd hope to ally with them. I'd hope sticking near them to begin with would be enough to survive.

Schylerwalker
2010-09-14, 01:24 AM
The aspect of using perform to go out and get gold, silver, and copper amuses me.

Nah, there's a relatively easy way to convert it, with the power of math. Lessee. It's pretty easy to figure out.

First, we must ascertain how much gold is worth per pound on the market. A quick search on Google tells us that gold is currently worth about $1,200 per ounce. So $19,200.

Fifty gold pieces equals a pound. Ergo, fifty D&D gold pieces is worth approximately $19,200, USD.

A routine Performance (DC 10 Perform check) nets you 1d10 copper pieces, for an average of 5 copper pieces. That's 1/20 of a gold pieces (100 copper pieces to the gold pieces). So a little under a thousand bucks a day with a routine performance.

...The math is correct, but that seems somehow wrong...

Kylarra
2010-09-14, 01:37 AM
Nah, there's a relatively easy way to convert it, with the power of math. Lessee. It's pretty easy to figure out.

First, we must ascertain how much gold is worth per pound on the market. A quick search on Google tells us that gold is currently worth about $1,200 per ounce. So $19,200.

Fifty gold pieces equals a pound. Ergo, fifty D&D gold pieces is worth approximately $19,200, USD.

A routine Performance (DC 10 Perform check) nets you 1d10 copper pieces, for an average of 5 copper pieces. That's 1/20 of a gold pieces (100 copper pieces to the gold pieces). So a little under a thousand bucks a day with a routine performance.

...The math is correct, but that seems somehow wrong...
If we use a different standard, say salt, we find that salt is 5gp to the pound and that's worth somewhere between $2-4 now so... :smalltongue:

Alternatively you earn between 1/2 and 5 chickens. Enjoy your wares.

Hague
2010-09-14, 01:45 AM
Artificer -> Renegade Mastermaker. I'd have the greatest chance of genuinely blending in and blending superior technology with magic, eventually turning myself into a full on Arcane Cyborg.

raitalin
2010-09-14, 01:45 AM
That ability score test is one of the better I've seen, I think. I got:

STR: 10
DEX: 11
CON: 11
INT(pt1/pt2): 15/16
INT: 16
WIS: 16
CHA: 9

My Con would be 13 if I quit smoking, so those look like pretty Awesome Druid stats.

Yeah, I'd most likely just disappear into the woods and show up on the fringes of things to watch the fireworks.

Tyndmyr
2010-09-14, 01:52 AM
Woah, the test likes me.

Str 16
Dex 18
Con 16
Int 14/17
Int 16
Wis 12
Cha 13

The strength seems a little high. The ability to do a few push-ups and situps doesn't really say a ton about physical fitness overall. I just have to be good at them because they're on the military PT test. The dex is probably appropriate, though. I've pulled off a lot of fairly reflexive stuff. Two person dart juggling, for instance. Shooting an arrow out of the sky with another arrow.

A future as an orb wizard looks bright.

Eldariel
2010-09-14, 03:38 AM
1.)If people insist on being incorrect about the RAW, I'm going to correct them.
2.)But it's not the same thing.

...honestly now, I never implied anything about "dodging attacks". Why are you even bringing this up? And it's not the same thing but who cares? If I were to have a Wizard's abilities and could Abrupt Jaunt, I'd sure as hell use it to avoid people who can kill me in this strange new world.

Besides, nobody was convinced by the last thread. Talking about the whole topic is a waste of time. Speaking of which, I'm done wasting my time with this particular distraction.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-09-14, 03:50 AM
it starts with E whilst the others start with C

It's also purple, where the others are green.

jpreem
2010-09-14, 04:00 AM
According to the test im rather screwed.
St 12
Dex 5 :smalleek:
Con 10
Int 14
Wiz 11
Cha 16
I guess the mental stats could even be a little better as I'm not a native english speaker. (And also answered that there are 0 monthes that have 30 days in them because i did think only months have days in them :smallsigh:)
I guess it would be near impossible to produce a competent core character, i don't know a lot about non-core stuff. Main problem is I got good cha and reasonable int and could go to somekind of a caster route. But casters have no armor proffciency ( and hmm irl i doubt you could hang around in a plate anyway) so anything that can hit me will hit me. Probably in core i should go bard or sorcerer and try to keep low profile. ( Will i automatically get skill points to spend on ranks - i cant play any instruments as for now)

Orzel
2010-09-14, 05:38 AM
A lot you are gonna be killed by 1st level rangers with max H&MS, rifles, and track.

or the mid level ranger who one shotted all those d4/d6 hp casters on "surprise rounds".

Killer Angel
2010-09-14, 06:07 AM
A lot you are gonna be killed by 1st level rangers with max H&MS, rifles, and track.

Meh, I would go with druid. Even for a ranger who's after me (and why he should, if no one knows me?) it's hard to track me if you don't know what you're traking.
I'll go into the wild (I've already got some of the basic skills), far from civilisation and make some xp.
Don't even have to worry too much of magic items, my real phisical stats, and sources of spells.

At that point, I could ally with rangers. :smallwink:

Quietus
2010-09-14, 08:15 AM
Here you go:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_4OYGjUrdllo/STRM99Uue0I/AAAAAAAAM0g/5pxx3HSk7b8/s400/xraymonocle.jpg
As a bonus, you can check if any rogues are hiding daggers on their person.

That... is seven shades of awesome. Have a cookie, sir!

Tyndmyr
2010-09-14, 08:18 AM

or the mid level ranger who one shotted all those d4/d6 hp casters on "surprise rounds".

It's a big world. They have to run into me first. And once I pick up protection from arrows, any advantage they have is pretty much shot. Once I can persist lesser ironguard, well...armies are no longer a threat.

The Glyphstone
2010-09-14, 08:22 AM
It's a big world. They have to run into me first. And once I pick up protection from arrows, any advantage they have is pretty much shot. Once I can persist lesser ironguard, well...armies are no longer a threat.

That is to say, armies that didn't hire a Cleric(s) for Greater Magic Weapon. On the other hand, if you can Persist Lesser Ironguard, you're either lvl17 with 2 ways to reduce metamagic increases or an Incantatrix, so armies aren't a threat anyways.

(On the other hand, Magic Weapon is a Ranger spell also, which they'd get 1 level after you got Protection from Arrows.)

And once I pick up protection from arrows, any advantage they have is pretty much shot.
Ba-dum-tish.

Tyndmyr
2010-09-14, 08:28 AM
That is to say, armies that didn't hire a Cleric(s) for Greater Magic Weapon. On the other hand, if you can Persist Lesser Ironguard, you're either lvl17 with 2 ways to reduce metamagic increases or an Incantatrix, so armies aren't a threat anyways.

(On the other hand, Magic Weapon is a Ranger spell also, which they'd get 1 level after you got Protection from Arrows.)

Ba-dum-tish.

Incantatrix is my preferred path, yup. If I start as a wizard. If I start as artificer, well....availability of buffs will be the least of my worries(woohoo, wings of cover). And of course, we have the full ironguard later to counter GMW. And wind wall.

I can't see the rangers posing a threat to casters for long, if only because they can't possibly catch them all in the first couple levels, and afterward, the powerful casters might be inclined to fix the problem of caster-hunting rangers.

Caewil
2010-09-14, 08:34 AM
Wizard. I already have three shelves of books :smalleek: in my room. A few more for spells would be easily disguised.

Alternatively, become a bard and proclaim myself a prophet with healing powers. Proceed to create own religion and then rule world through diplomancy.

Schylerwalker
2010-09-14, 08:44 AM
Play a true-namer just to see what happens. :smallamused:

Tharck
2010-09-14, 09:31 AM
I'd choose sorcerer. Finding a book of spells would be a pain in the ass, much less one prepared.

Gerrtt
2010-09-14, 09:34 AM
Eh, it'd just take time.

If a first level wizard knows how to scribe spells into their own book it's only a matter of time before they all use their free scribe scroll feat to make copies and spares and start sharing what they know in order to bargain for more power for themselves. As they level up they start to share their more powerful spells as well in order to get the ones that the others learned as they leveled up.

Claudius Maximus
2010-09-14, 09:58 AM
It's also purple, where the others are green.

Carrots are not green.

I actually realized the correct answer to this while asleep. I feel like an idiot for not getting it when I was doing the test.

Oslecamo
2010-09-14, 10:01 AM
Incantatrix is my preferred path, yup. If I start as a wizard. If I start as artificer, well....availability of buffs will be the least of my worries(woohoo, wings of cover).

Protects you from one attack per turn, but I higly doubt your oponents will attack one by one, or just shoot once per turn.

And of course, we have the full ironguard later to counter GMW.

You're aware of rubber bullets that any police squad will have right? Not to mention the exotic alloys being developed right now. Or people simply throwing stones at you untill they overpower your protection from arrows.

And wind wall.

Wich specifically doesn't stop heavy weapons.

I can't see the rangers posing a threat to casters for long, if only because they can't possibly catch them all in the first couple levels, and afterward, the powerful casters might be inclined to fix the problem of caster-hunting rangers.

You'll need a lot of levels before you become truly invincible, and you'll need to kill a lot of stuff to gain those levels. Since there's mostly low level NPCs to "feed" upon, but those NPCs have big weapons that make their numbers count (wings of cover saves you from one bullet per round only, and both protection from arrows and wind wall can be overcome with moar/bigger dakka), chances are that you'll get ganked much before than reaching critical power level.

Or somebody can just run over you with a closed car wich blocks line of effect to the pilot.:smalltongue:

The best plan would be to find some powerfull patron and pledge my loyalty to him in return for my arcane services, then take my time leveling up in secret, not revealing the true extent of my power untill I reach lv 11.

Killer Angel
2010-09-14, 10:13 AM
The best plan would be to find some powerfull patron and pledge my loyalty to him in return for my arcane services, then take my time leveling up in secret, not revealing the true extent of my power untill I reach lv 11.

After some training in the wilderness...
"Hello, I'm a (3rd level) druid, do you need some help patrolling Yellowstone?" :smallcool:

Delusion
2010-09-14, 11:26 AM
No Diplomancer builds yet? I'm surprised.

Dr.Epic
2010-09-14, 11:38 AM

This is based on what? Just because people have extraordinary powers the military will try to kill them all? First level wizards aren't that powerful so it's safe to assume they won't do anything for a while (or at all). Not to mention I think the military would be more interested in recruiting them. I'm sure some people in the military or armed forces play D&D (I knew someone a while back who LARP'd and joined the army) so it's safe to saw they'd use their powers to help and that would set an example. Not to mention some classes (fighter, rogue, barbarian, monk) could completely blend in even when they do use class features so not all adventurers are at risk.

As for my class, Cleric.

Another_Poet
2010-09-14, 11:44 AM
I think I'd have to choose Artificer, because it means that (to many people) I am more valuable alive than dead.

I do believe that hiding out somewhere remote as a Druid would be more powerful, and that is tempting, but I value relationships with other people too much to go into a "hide or die" setup. And constant competition sucks.

With my Reserve and other nifty abilities, I could make a lot of money from clients who thought Being a Ninja Would be Cool! or just want to up their game.

Aharon
2010-09-14, 11:47 AM
What about the rest of the world? Does it change accordingly? For example, I am currently a commoner or expert, but I believe I could best a house cat if my life depended on it :smallwink:

This is important because of advancement. If you really only have to beat up 13-14 housecats per level to get from 1st to 6th, this would be really easy. If the Universe awards XP like a sensible DM would (no XP for something that isn't a challenge), things would be different.

Also, does the Universe use a ban-list, and do all the nifty D&D creatures exist?

If they do, and the universe doesn't, whoever is the fastest to read the message, and get his mirror mephit/Pazuzu => Pun-Pun wins.

To make it short: There should probably be some restrictions to the scenario :smallbiggrin:

Edit:
To actually answer the question, I would probably take a StP Erudite - no DM there to whack my head with rulebooks :smallsmile:
Alternatively, if the universe yearns to get a new ruler and there aren't any restrictions, Wizard Precocious Apprentice for Mirror Mephit.

Shenanigans
2010-09-14, 11:48 AM
STR: 12
CON: 12
INT(pt1/pt2): 15/16
INT: 16
CHA: 12

These scores make me think something Mystic Theurgish, although Druid (Arcane Hierophant?) seems to be more indicated by these scores.

I would love to go straight 20 level monk, though, probably with Vow of Poverty. Various Stunning Fist feats would be on my list...particularly Pressure Point Strike.

That way, I can pass my time as a high end masseur...donating all my proceeds to the local church of course. :)

WarKitty
2010-09-14, 11:51 AM
Hmmm...my instinctive class choice would be druid. But I'm not sure how high my wisdom score actually is - my spot and listen checks are awesome, but my sense motive sucks. I'm a panentheistic loner and nature lover though. Get a husky or other large dog for a companion.

If we're restricted by our own base stats, something INT-based. I'm not sure about wizard - you'd have to research all your spells yourself.

Rogue might also be good.

Bayar
2010-09-14, 12:06 PM
STR: 8
CON: 11
INT(pt1/pt2): 13/14
WIS: 10

Preety close to what I know about myself :biggrin:.

I'd choose to be an artificer. Building your own stuff is better than snadard stuff everybody has anyway. I'd also try and buy a handgun, slap an Animal Bane Personal weapon augmentation on it and go hunting boars and stuff for the XP.

Later on, having a tank with Fortification and magebane or other weapon enchant on it, getting repaired by Dedicated Wrights or a Clockwork Mender swarm would be so awesome. Or a hollowed out golem or other suck ****. Really, the sky will be the limit. Until I build a Spelljammer :biggrin:

Mnemnosyne
2010-09-14, 12:16 PM
Depending on whether I know what my stats are, and if they're high enough, I might pick something like Beguiler and use early entry shenanigans to get Rainbow Servant right quick, then I just have to survive until 10th level and I get all cleric spells and I can cast them spontaneously whenever I need them. Artificer would also be another awesome option, but it would seriously depend on the availability of materials and such, since presumably we don't instantly get our wealth by level.

If I don't know what my stats are, I'd probably pick the safe route and go warlock, aiming to enter Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil. Maybe take a one level dip into a caster class for the abjurations. Yeah, I use a lot of invocations on abjurations in order to qualify, and take a few useless feats, but if I make it to Initiate level 7 I'm damn near invulnerable to all but the most prepared enemies.

ScionoftheVoid
2010-09-14, 12:28 PM
I think I'd go with Factotum or Psion. If I get to see my stats and my Int isn't great I'd go with the Warlock crowd.

Orzel
2010-09-14, 12:30 PM
Am I the only one who sees the newbies screwing it all up?

Nohwl
2010-09-14, 12:41 PM
i'd go with archivist.

woodenbandman
2010-09-14, 01:02 PM
Well I'd choose to be a cleric of Odin.

Because eventually i'd be able to bring about the Ragnarok.

Tyndmyr
2010-09-14, 01:38 PM
Protects you from one attack per turn, but I higly doubt your oponents will attack one by one, or just shoot once per turn.

See also, I am a frigging wizard.

You're aware of rubber bullets that any police squad will have right?

Yup. They hurt. Presuming protection from arrows doesn't negate that entirely. You know what else hurts? Being burned alive by eldritch fire.

Not to mention the exotic alloys being developed right now. Or people simply throwing stones at you untill they overpower your protection from arrows.

Exotic alloys? Still made of metal. See, ironguard doesn't just protect against iron. And it's not as if you'll have time to go get exotic weaponry once you realize the regular bullets do nothing.

Wich specifically doesn't stop heavy weapons.

So...only non-metallic ranged heavy weapons can hurt me, and unless they are ALSO magical, I have DR against them. (and with wings of cover, can ignore some of those too).

Oh, yeah, I like my odds.

You'll need a lot of levels before you become truly invincible, and you'll need to kill a lot of stuff to gain those levels. Since there's mostly low level NPCs to "feed" upon, but those NPCs have big weapons that make their numbers count (wings of cover saves you from one bullet per round only, and both protection from arrows and wind wall can be overcome with moar/bigger dakka), chances are that you'll get ganked much before than reaching critical power level.

You assume you need to target the NPCs. I posit that hunting monsters is the obvious way to progress through the first few levels.

There is also no particular reason that I cannot also use big weapons. The only thing more awesome than a wizard is a wizard with guns.

Or somebody can just run over you with a closed car wich blocks line of effect to the pilot.:smalltongue:

Running over wizards with your car? Seems like a needlessly complicated way to commit suicide.

Alone? Yeah, if you get found, you're the screwed one. Heck, people may pay off your patron for the info. You're worth mad XP once you start leveling, plus, people may want to bump off the competition.

Edit: Announcement!

Seeing as how nobody has yet announced that they intend to run such a campaign, and it is indeed frigging awesome, I will happily do so. Anyone interested?

Schylerwalker
2010-09-14, 02:21 PM
It does indeed sound most awesome. I am expressing interest. Will you start a thread on the recruitment forum?

Claudius Maximus
2010-09-14, 02:23 PM
I'm probably interested.

Volthawk
2010-09-14, 02:24 PM

Seeing as how nobody has yet announced that they intend to run such a campaign, and it is indeed frigging awesome, I will happily do so. Anyone interested?

Definitely.

Douglas
2010-09-14, 02:36 PM

What's the cheese tolerance here? I assume high optimization is expected, especially with the characters themselves knowing the rules and being very familiar with optimization, but how far does the "this is real, the universe is enforcing RAW with no DM" idea go? Pun-pun is banned, of course, and I expect infinite loops and obvious nonsense like being dead not preventing actions would also not be allowed, but is that it?

And you really should start a thread in the recruitment forum for this.

PersonMan
2010-09-14, 02:38 PM
I already have too much stuff to do, but it doesn't matter. Not when...this is available.

In other words? Yes. A million times yes, interested.

Orzel
2010-09-14, 02:47 PM
You know. A fighter could level fast without notice in a war.

Tyndmyr
2010-09-14, 02:47 PM
Recruitment thread is up here! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9356322#post9356322)

What's the cheese tolerance here? I assume high optimization is expected, especially with the characters themselves knowing the rules and being very familiar with optimization, but how far does the "this is real, the universe is enforcing RAW with no DM" idea go? Pun-pun is banned, of course, and I expect infinite loops and obvious nonsense like being dead not preventing actions would also not be allowed, but is that it?

And you really should start a thread in the recruitment forum for this.

My tolerance for cheese is high. Quite high.

You gotta be human. Setting specific stuff may not exist, though purely mechanical options, like artificers may be chosen. As an example of setting specific stuff that does not exist, any organization can be assumed to not yet exist here, as that would obviously violate the original premise. Tainted spellcasting is out, as are infinite loops. I believe that covers the ban list.

Things like fell drained sonic snaps are all good fun.

I'm also comfortable with a relatively large batch of people, on the basis that they will not(at least initially) be together. For the sake of cheesy humor, I set D&D-day as 12-12-2012.

Oslecamo
2010-09-14, 03:12 PM

See also, no scroll shops or wizard colleges to trade spells for you.

Yup. They hurt. Presuming protection from arrows doesn't negate that entirely. You know what else hurts? Being burned alive by eldritch fire.

How many spells per day you get again? How many officers has the average police squad? Or your street criminal gang?

Exotic alloys? Still made of metal.

Oh boy by that logic irognguard protects you from everything because aparently having just some vestiges of metal is enough to stop it, wich means pretty much everything, including living beings.

See, ironguard doesn't just protect against iron. And it's not as if you'll have time to go get exotic weaponry once you realize the regular bullets do nothing.

Cars, phones, you're not fighting mud farmers anymore.

So...only non-metallic ranged heavy weapons can hurt me, and unless they are ALSO magical, I have DR against them. (and with wings of cover, can ignore some of those too).

Wow wow how did you get so high of a sudden? Incantrix persistents just start kicking in much later. You need to, you know, gain exp.

Oh, yeah, I like my odds.

Well, if the rest of the world just sends four faceless mooks a day, one at a time, of course.

You assume you need to target the NPCs. I posit that hunting monsters is the obvious way to progress through the first few levels.

Sure, and you just happen to have the survival skillz to live 24 /day in those isolated regions so nobody spots you, tracking down the big game, and never get attacked in your sleep.

There is also no particular reason that I cannot also use big weapons. The only thing more awesome than a wizard is a wizard with guns.

Ok, I give up. Why don't you just say you have the whole world at your feets from lv1? Because that's what you're basically saying here. Nobody will ever see you, you have infinite resources (including spells per day) right away and everybody else is acting as a moron.

Running over wizards with your car? Seems like a needlessly complicated way to commit suicide.
Yeah, sorry for forgeting you're permanently immune to damage 24/day righ at lv 1.

Alone? Yeah, if you get found, you're the screwed one. Heck, people may pay off your patron for the info. You're worth mad XP once you start leveling, plus, people may want to bump off the competition.

See, moron acting again. You don't sell out powerfull allies because you can easily be next. Why do you even bother picking a class when everything is already set up for you perfectly? By your rules you could play a commoner and you would still auto-win!

Quincunx
2010-09-14, 03:32 PM
Geez, all those hyperinflated ability score tests floating around, and we had a more objective one available on the ancient Angelfire site all along? I'm embarrassed--or maybe that's carryover from earning a six on charisma.

I've said cleric before and can stick with it if there is such a thing as a cleric of concept. I believe in dreams and fantasies, and if a messenger orb wrenches itself out of the collective fantasy of D&D to affect the real world, that belief works.

Hague
2010-09-14, 03:35 PM
Artificer and then I'll use my ingenuity to develop adamantine and then sell the secrets to the government. DR 20/adamantine composite tank armor anyone?

Brilliant energy +5 .50 cal sniper rifle and ring of x-ray vision. I wouldn't even have to worry about windage since most air isn't living matter.

Volthawk
2010-09-14, 03:36 PM
I'm seeing a union being formed of artificers.

imp_fireball
2010-09-14, 03:46 PM
And the "tough early" classes tend to stink if some primary spellcaster manages to live long and goes all evil.

Yah, well the population of earth is 7 billion... intelligence agencies would figure that this source of unlimited power means becoming a D&D fan, and thus they'd ultimately become D&D fans too.

The notion would rule the entire world. Regular cops and soldiers would be required to become D&D fans and take levels in certain classes to even earn a basic pay cheque.

An evil wizard is not just one evil wizard but thousands of them (population 7 billion). So even the most powerful evil wizard can be slain by a small division of the military when they're all buffed by combat engineers who also happened to have helped create M1 Abrams tanks with spell resistance.

They'd be working magitech into common technical emplacements - so you'd have magic detection radar out to several kilometers on naval vessels. Magic would not see common use in powering common devices, since that would probably cause a collapse of the economy (entire factories are useless since their machines used to produce various items in X way are obsolete) - people would stop purchasing common goods from longstanding corporations.

The same even goes for weapons in that existing weaponry is still the same (corporations that produce them need to be protected after all without stupid bail outs to keep them alive despite the existence of wizard run corporations) - weapons would instead only be enhanced (so ie., anti 'protection from arrows' and anti 'deflection bonus', bullets, etc.).

Magic wouldn't power industry and there'd probably be laws against it (anti-trust, anti-competitive, that sorta thing).

Magic might see a rise in new applications though and I think it would wound technological progress (it might interrupt the progress to more conventional fuel for example, when you can design a magically powered, perpetual motion engine that isn't covered by anti-trust laws; another one would interrupt the development of the quantum computer when computer bits can be teleported via magic rather then quantum mechanical principles, ie.) and when a bunch of power hungry wizards decide to usurp potential avenues like the space program with their own spells to teleport or fly to the moon, mars and beyond.

So yah, magic is largely a bad thing and society would have to adjust largely to defend against it. Wizards would have terrible reputations and the world would change a lot for the worse when they begin charming and dominating political leaders, crafting their own golem armies, and creating magically augmented clones as biological super soldiers and dominated families for eugenics, etc.
-----

All of what I described above would make a pretty good graphic novel (and by the way things are going, every good GN gets turned into a movie).

In regards to plain old D&D, there's probably already been too many campaigns improperly conducted in this sort of supposed setting.

Artificer and then I'll use my ingenuity to develop adamantine and then sell the secrets to the government. DR 20/adamantine composite tank armor anyone?

Actually, I think regular armor functions a lot better, considering most rockets, let alone hand grenades, can do in excess of that damage (some hand grenades are known to obliterate; as in, kill instantly by reducing to -10 Hp and then go beyond that and flash fry/blunt force all of the body, and spread every part of the body in haphazard directions after all).

But 'immune/resistant to everything except one substance that probably doesn't even exist yet, whether yet or ever' might serve a cause for investment to create greater 'immunity armor' (the name 'immunity armor' could be decent product label :smallbiggrin:).

When you say, "I'm not a high enough level to create anything of greater DR, though!", they'd probably get very confused and throw you out.

Thatguyoverther
2010-09-14, 04:06 PM
I'd definitely go cleric, maybe shooting for Mytic Thurge at sum point. I'd probably see about joining the Catholic Church. Hmmm....

Anyways. I think this would make an epic Dnd game. Who needs a tavern when you could start them at a gaming table together?

I skipped a couple of pages, is anyone thinking about running this concept as a PbP? If not, I'd definitely DM.

Edit:Never mind found it.

Hague
2010-09-14, 04:19 PM
You know, Poison Spell feat would be startlingly useful: Since poison in real life isn't bound by DnD strictures I could be evil and generate a whole society of people chemically and mentally addicted to the simplest of cantrips all for significantly less than however many gp poison normally costs.

imp_fireball
2010-09-14, 04:52 PM
Option 3: Call up everyone I am friends with that plays D&D and inform them of the situation. Form an adventuring company of sorts with them. Go to town. I'd probably be a Binder, angling for Anima Mage, in that situation.

*Insert 'kick ass' scenario where you all dress up in cheesey LARP costumes and try to fight crime. And then things change. Dun dun dun.*

You know, Poison Spell feat would be startlingly useful: Since poison in real life isn't bound by DnD strictures I could be evil and generate a whole society of people chemically and mentally addicted to the simplest of cantrips all for significantly less than however many gp poison normally costs.

So wait, replicate the affects of hard drugs for cheaper?

A. That would make a lot of dealers angry. You'd make a lot of enemies.

B. If you want to introduce a new drug, you have to market it and get people hooked. Most deranged addicts prefer to stay with the drugs that have them hooked since they might crave the same high everytime.

C. All of this is pretty evil, so be prepared to live a life of moral reprisal and people probably not ever truly loving you for 'you as a person'. :smallamused:

I'd probably see about joining the Catholic Church. Hmmm....

Yah... I don't know if being a cleric means you qualify for being a priest. I don't know if they'd trust you anymore than a wizard. They might even consider it blasphemy or simply consider you 'wizard, only this one's less pure evil and a little more deranged' if you try to claim your power is god given.

Anyways. I think this would make an epic Dnd game. Who needs a tavern when you could start them at a gaming table together?

Even easier - they're at home on their computers chatting on GitP and then BAM. Omigod.

Erts
2010-09-14, 04:58 PM
Am I the only one who sees the newbies screwing it all up?

Maybe.

Can I point out that while this may sound political, DND is much more popular in rich countries than in poor ones, won't that kinda affect things?

Also, I think it would be more fair if you get rid of magic items and non-core spells. Oh, and rules that will get rid of a tippyverse.

For me? Psion. Probably Nomad, most useful in the real world. Imagine how expensive wizard and sorcerer components are going to get. Also imagine that trading them will probably become outlawed.

By the way Orzel, this is a great thought-provoking question, thanks for asking it.

imp_fireball
2010-09-14, 05:02 PM
Can I point out that while this may sound political, DND is much more popular in rich countries than in poor ones, won't that kinda affect things?

Not at all. Third world powers would buy up the books in order to pursue the power.

If governments actively limit sale and distribution (very likely; possibly even classifying them as classified material or WMD), then this stuff could appear on the black market - imagine the player's hand book, black and white from a cheap copier and covered in urine, read by a famished kid in Africa.

Also, I think it would be more fair if you get rid of magic items and non-core spells. Oh, and rules that will get rid of a tippyverse.

Bah, that'd just make it boring.

This whole thing could play out like a Tom Clancy politik battle.

By the way Orzel, this is a great thought-provoking question, thanks for asking it.

I think it was really just a matter of asking it in the right way. Most campaigns that begin like this involve the GM already throwing everything down - effectively pre-emptive railroading.

Well, the easy way to do it would be Wizard, and stay completely hidden. Go to Yellowstone for a "weekend trip", kill some wolves, and come back. Repeat until you've gained two levels. Congratulations, you now have protection from arrows (which, incidentally, works against bullets.)

But not hand grenades or simple combat knives. Also mage armor would only rebound one or two attacks (not enough when trying to escape from a frantic attacker), and then you're done for.

imp_fireball
2010-09-14, 05:14 PM
Just took the ability score test (http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/terragf/back/xstattest.html), and came up with the following:

STR: 15
INT(pt1/pt2): 12/12

Woe! I expected a much higher INT score. Anybody ever scored over 15 in anything?

Anyway, with scores like that, I guess I'd be doing something physical. I suppose I'd go Swordsage.

Edit: Oooh! I could go for Glaivelock, too! Or really just Warlock in general. Probably my favorite class.

Ah that test gets it all wrong with wisdom and what have you.

Also, strength isn't regarded by how many push ups/sit ups/general calisthenics you can do. It's general all round bodily strength - if you are worse in one than the other, then your mean average lowers. So you could bench like 300lbs. (above average), and only be able to short jump 7 or so feet, only 10 military push ups (but 50 or so 'swift push ups' and diamond push ups), and be afraid to lift anything greater than 100lbs. above your head. Also, maybe you're terrible at throwing a punch (like a typical boxer punch, none of the archaic kung-fu open hand stuff) - that's all to do with strength.

So, that'd be like bare average - possibly even 9 strength or so. Or less.

If you are old and can barely walk, that's always 1 strength since anything less means you're too weak to propel yourself - you can still move your digits and stuff but you can't actually move in the sense of get up and move your body.

Dexterity 0, is different - I'd rule paralysis on that. So, you can't control your legs and arms, nor digits... you can probably barely even speak without your mouth spasming or whatever. People with MS and Cerebral palsy and the like are close to this.

Constitution 1 - You can't too move without feeling incredibly nauseous. I could rule that any sort of exertive action = non-lethal damage that you suffer. Non-lethal damage can be reflected when you get up to do something and suddenly find yourself vomiting your guts out. High blood pressure, stroke vulnerability (in some cases) - all those sorts of things are quite close to this.
Also, fat people that feel tired when they stand, are always farting and coughing and wheezing, etc. Anything less than Con 1 means you've already suffered the fatal part of any of these tendencies - or maybe your skin and organs dried up and your brain said 'that's it, I'm outta here'.

Wisdom 1 - You are essentially senile. It's hard to control your own thoughts and feelings and your entire well being, mind and body, etc. is affected by this. In terms of being able to help yourself, you are practically a lost cause. The hero in you is gone along with all ambition and drive to be independently minded and self serving (except in delusion), and even the humanity is barely surviving. Various diseases could reflect being close to this, such as dementia, alzheimers, etc. Schizophrenia is different since most of those people can still function independently - and you can't suddenly acquire schizophrenia from having lowered wisdom. I mean sure it sucks, but schizophrenia is just paranoia and hallucination, so it's better reflected as an ailment under sanity rules.

Charisma 1 - You struggle through life in a stupor, trapped in a veil of your own mind and body, apart from the outside world. You aren't just afraid of other people's reactions, nor is it a matter of your incredible ego, nor self esteem, nor any of the 'standard social ailments' - you just can't will yourself to interact. You have very little control over your own mind and body and find yourself simply gravitating towards tasks and goals, almost robotically. Essentially, a creature without the social element branded in to centralize them with the rest of their species. It sucks major balls. The most obvious mimicry of this is straight low functioning autism.

Int 1 - Durr... precision technical details are lost on you. If you were attached to a device that measured brain waves, yours would be of considerably less activity than that of most humans - they may compete with typical animals. You may still be able to speak but in simple slurs 'Urr.... I uh... er... want... eruhhhh!!! *frustrated* FOOOD!!! RAAAAuurrrr...'. You struggle to retain information and you'd probably forget everything you previously knew. You've seen it all over the place in public. Essentially reflected by some debillitating developmental condition. Humans with Int 1 all of their lives can still learn language, because the social environment breeds that of them. Alternatively, this sort of mental debilitation/developmental disability/etc. could reflect a big flaw with a lot of bonus feats. Down syndrome isn't as severe as this, but is close in regards to ability score (usually prerequisite 3 or 4 Int to get the flaw). Plain old mental retardation is also a flaw. Note that people 3 or 4 Int that they received because they rolled are merely 'dull witted' and can actually land typical jobs (non white collar, paper keeping) jobs - nothing compared to the severe effects of mental retardation resulting in speech impediment. Actual plain old lower Int people use simpler words to make up for more limited vocabulary - "Y'know, like? Like, y'know?" if they're young or 'Y'know, I says to him, and I says to him, y'know.' if they're older and work and live independently (chances are a lot of these people are discouraged and try to get help from the government whenever they can... at least that's pretty much how it goes down in Canada). Actual speech such as 'me want job opportunity or <insert name here> pleasured long time' are usually just the result of an accent rather than actual lowered Int - which could just as easily apply to the cliche orc (and reinforcing the 'orcs are stupider than ogres' stereotype). People with low Int that speak in their native language will never talk like this. They will attempt to at least somewhat mimic how the more intelligent ones talk because that is generally how a culture accepts its members (which could just mean stringing grammar together so that it make sense from an immediate conversational stand point) - at least for humans. That's why lower Int people can still be good narrators, orators, etc. But having a thick accent (orcish or otherwise; it's possible that the orc native language lacks pronouns, dependent on the setting rather then inanely/unfunnily/with dated humor declaring that they're dumb, primitive and thus talk like cavemen; due to both equal parts stupidity and primitiveness) always detracts from these qualities.

People with very low Int could still be geniuses in other ways in accordance to things like art and creativity (reflecting good Wis which allows you to perceive the significance of such things; more than just use or replicate them or 'get ideas' or throw about concepts haphazardly which a lot of typical fans of pop culture do since average or lower wisdom can hurt you in those areas), but they'd struggle with writing a novel if they typically failed writing class. Of course, because school generally takes a uniform approach to most students and hangs largely on the application of necessary skills taught using the same approach, very low Int people generally suffer due entirely to low Int. Dyslexia isn't necessarily covered by low Int though - such people may still have good flowing memories and retain great avenues of knowledge and/or be exceptional with numbers, etc.

akma
2010-09-14, 05:19 PM
I`ll be a monk for at least the first level. Might not be the strongest option, but it got a lot of benefits.
A. I will move faster, which will enable me to outrun enemies I couldn`t defeat and be generally usefull.
B. I`ll have all good saves.
C. I won`t be dependent on equipment, since my unarmed attacks will be strong. I would still carry a ranged weapon.

As for gaining XP - if all the players would be hunted, then gaining XP will occur naturelly when I`ll deal with law enforcement (I won`t technically have to kill them, just to overcome the challenge). I`m currently in a big D&D group and got a few friends who used to play, so I`ll have 8+ automatic allies. There is a resonable chance that none of them will be a cleric, so healing would be problamatic. I assume a few will be fighters, one would be a monk and one might be a rogue. I`m not sure how they would handle the extra power.
Also, what would heppen if I introduced someone to the game after the initial class gaining?

Icewraith
2010-09-14, 05:24 PM
str 9
dex 15
con 13
int 16 (16/15)
wis 16
cha 12

Not bad, not bad, although I need to do some more sit-ups so I can stop worrying about ray of enfeeblement. (Those were also rough guesses since I'm at school and I think people would stare if I just started doing crunches in the computer lab!) Also, if it weren't for that str I'd make a reasonable monk. I have a couple issues with the intelligence test (for starters, carrots are the only vegetable on the list that are specifically plural! Also, I understand that the test is meant to be taken by everyone but an integral certainly wouldn't hurt. Solve del psi=E for the non-trivial cases and get an auto-18, although even I don't have the math to do that yet.)

So it looks like any of the big-power casting/manifesting classes that aren't cha based are good choices, and confirms something I've suspected for quite some time, I'd make just as good a cleric as a wizard. Wizards have more fun I suppose, but it would depend on how clerics "work" and indeed how the whole universe is set up, since the theological debates would either be really boring or extremely deadly. (Oh hey, [insert deity here] is the only one granting spells. Alternatively, they're all granting spells, even the ones we thought weren't around anymore! In other news, fourteen major holy sites of differing religions have been burnt by what appears to be "divine fire," the newly appointed high priest of Thor has appeared on television with the statement: 'I challenge every televangelist to a divine duel to the death,' interfaith councils devolve into WWE-style magic dueling circles)

Wizard (and from what I've heard, Artificer, but I don't have ecs) would of course be blasts but require spellbooks and magical materials, so assuming comparitive rarity of said materials Psion would be the dominant power class. If I did go Artificer it would probably be partially my fault if the military developed magitek, but I think of all those guys as multiclass rogue/fighters so there would probably be some major changes to the military structure in short order. Or not, depending on level difference and abilities rogue/fighters can certainly wear a castign class down via attrition and forcing him to expend defensive spells. Also: wands of dispel magic +UMD. Working for the Government or a major corporation would probably be the way to go if I went artificer, you can expect access to the best material components and research in short order. (Google Magic! The magic that controls your life.) My biggest difficulty has always been that there's too many different classes that sound like fun, sometimes I want to be a melee gish, sometimes a cleric, sometimes a psion, sometimes a wizard, sometimes a sorcerer (although that seems to be a poor choice if I actually get those stats.)

Orzel
2010-09-14, 05:29 PM
I think a lot of people are thinking too far ahead. I would be a wildshape ranger who eventually takes SotAO.

Day one
I play with my extra speed and extra damage to humans. With maxxed Hide, MS, Listen, Spot, and Survival; and can survive in the wild out NYC with ease. After the purchase of some firearms and supplies, a nice XP trip can be performed into a week. With Track, I'll actually be able to find wild animals and kill them for XP and fur. I'll probably end up taking out some homicidal criminal who broke out of jail eventually. I'd get to level 5 within 2 months with no one knowing.

Meanwhile...
Some jerk or ex-con picked blasted wizard and robbed a bank. The public is panicked.

Highest level people on planet
Caster criminals who managed to not get shot dead by the police.
A couple of soldiers at war who picked barbarian, soaked up some bullets, shot dudes, and lived.

snoopy13a
2010-09-14, 05:47 PM
As for gaining XP - if all the players would be hunted, then gaining XP will occur naturelly when I`ll deal with law enforcement (I won`t technically have to kill them, just to overcome the challenge). I`m currently in a big D&D group and got a few friends who used to play, so I`ll have 8+ automatic allies. There is a resonable chance that none of them will be a cleric, so healing would be problamatic. I assume a few will be fighters, one would be a monk and one might be a rogue. I`m not sure how they would handle the extra power.
Also, what would heppen if I introduced someone to the game after the initial class gaining?

Law enforcement doesn't send in a level appropriate encounter. They send in the SWAT team. That's 20 or so level 2-3 warriors with automatic guns against your level 1 miscreant.

Also, the general populace won't know who is an adventurer unless they start casting spells or something. This won't be a MMORPG where our levels and classes are open to all. Thus, I'm not sure how people will "hunt down the weak adventurers" when the "weak" look no different than the everyday commoners, experts, etc.

I do find it intriguing as a game but I'd just use skills gained from a class to make money. Sure, some wizard will take over the world sooner or later but I wouldn't care. Since I don't want to post: "I roll a profession check to make mad money", I'm not going to play :smallsmile:

imp_fireball
2010-09-14, 05:54 PM
I`ll be a monk for at least the first level. Might not be the strongest option, but it got a lot of benefits.

Even though monk is Tier 6+ (or whatever they call it these days), you'd probably still ironically kick my ass with my miniscule yellow stripe in taekwondo.

I mean, c'mon, move faster without exerting any additional energy (fast movement claims that), execute a two hip powered punch throw in just one punch (flurry of blows) - both aimed at the solar plexus (lethal damage)? Combine it with power attack, and you could split concrete (hardness 8 or so; clearly less if its just a thin slab) at first level without having to target it in a special location like most martial arts practicioners in real life do. Also, you might even be able to break wood against the grain (hardness 5 + hp, like regular inch thick hard wood), which would be absolutely insane - but not necessarily in one punch.

You also get your bonus feats - if you want a decent monk just get martial study though and perhaps beg the GM (god) to base initiator level off of BAB rather than half HD.

That's 20 or so level 2-3 warriors with automatic guns against your level 1 miscreant.

Also body armor (hardness versus ranged weapons), shields (can actually check you, meaning you can't move), and gas grenades (which are usually deployed before they enter). Also break and enter training, which isn't really covered in D&D (yet) - but basically they'd move in with a readied action and maybe (I don't know), concentration check to retain readied action once it triggers (basically because they are multi-tasking). Readied action would basically be to fire on anyone they don't recognize (they could recognize with reactionary spot check).

Orzel
2010-09-14, 06:05 PM
Yeah week one, the strongest and highest level people on the planet would be paladins, monks, and barbarians. :smallyuk:

After a few months, the wilderness classes would outlevel them after killing many wild animals.

After a year and a half, adventurer guilds funded by corporations would have be in training long enough to be higher level than the guy who offed 8 brown bears.

Makiru
2010-09-14, 06:10 PM
STR: 3
CON: 10
INT(pt1/pt2): 13/10
CHA: 11

Unfortunately, this seems about right. There are a few options that are pretty nice, though. I could always go Druid and use wild shape to shore up my physical deficiencies. Archivist is also a good choice in this situation.

...is what I would be saying if I could actually play a prepared caster.

So, self-buffing Favored Soul, Ardent/Divine Mind, or Psychic Warrior.

...The new world order is not kind to me, it seems.

Kyuu Himura
2010-09-14, 06:25 PM
I think I would go warblade, I really don't have the stats for melee or casting, but being that I will suck anyway, might as well suck at something I like.
As for what I would do? I would pick Punishing Stance, Moment of Perfect Mind, Stone Bones and Steely Wind and... I don't know, start going to martial arts tournaments for profit... I think I would become vigilante at some point, just because the temptation of going all Daredevil on guys with guns is too strong XD.

mobdrazhar
2010-09-14, 06:32 PM

would love to... have never done a PbP before and this would be an awesome idea to be involved in

Tetrasodium
2010-09-14, 06:32 PM
I'd go with healer from the miniature's handbook and ride it all the way. Just get a job where the healing stuff will be useful and generate exp in relative safety. Then at the end... 1/week true resurrection with 0 cost?... yes I'll take that 5th yacht. As to making sure I get there safely?... soon as I hit level 3 and unlock the 1/day remove paralysis skill I'd go half cure stephen hawking since he's almost certainly an epic wizard day one and needs those somatic components to get the DC down to 0 on those permanent epic buffs :P

imp_fireball
2010-09-14, 06:37 PM
After a few months, the wilderness classes would outlevel them after killing many wild animals.

Y'know, I think all this XP grinding stuff would be deprecated after a while. The GM (god) is omnipresent, and he'll detest you finding an easy to way to slay brown bears with your epic craft (trapmaking) skill. I'm not talking divine vengeance, but the XP would clearly just stop flowing.

But if it weren't the case, then I imagine there would be territorial battles for the rockies where people erect cloning labs (to keep brown bears out of endangered territory; they already are pretty close to that) and set lose ultra violent, brown bears on steroids that yield maximum XP for each up front kill - which means you'd be seeing your typical ranger riding on top of an all-terrain humvee with .50 caliber and a UAV drone animal companion.

I think I would go warblade, I really don't have the stats for melee or casting, but being that I will suck anyway, might as well suck at something I like.

Being a neo-samurai ain't fun if you aren't hiro protagonist. :smalltongue:

STR: 3

Darn, according to that (lame) test, that's probably -

- Can't even do one push up or one sit up.
- Maximum bench: 30 pounds (just the bar, no weight).
- Jogging makes your quads sore (realistically)

Thus, I'm not sure how people will "hunt down the weak adventurers" when the "weak" look no different than the everyday commoners, experts, etc.

Even the weak can be distinguishable, say when you notice a 14 year old fat kid running on walls (attainable psiwar 1, I think?).

Also, yah the whole magic thing.

And if one kid suddenly comes to school one day, able to wield a sword he brought with him with all the profession of a sword master of the trade...
He'd be quite alarmed at the sudden skill and knowledge he woke up with (... and he chose to be a fighter 1).

Endarire
2010-09-14, 06:59 PM
Psion is tempting because of astral construct and mijnor creation. Now I just need Durable Construct (Hyperconscious) to let my constructs last for 10 minutes.

With the PP, I can effectively make disposable helicopters and submarines.

If we can change our race, so much the better.

imp_fireball
2010-09-14, 07:01 PM
Psion is tempting because of astral construct and mijnor creation. Now I just need Durable Construct (Hyperconscious) to let my constructs last for 10 minutes.

With the PP, I can effectively make disposable helicopters and submarines.

Eh... but the size restriction is limited - also they'd be nothing like helicopters in the way the move, their weapons or anything (the helicopter look would be entirely ascetic) and I don't think you can ride them (and a submarine wouldn't offer life support except through a primitive means of containing very limited air); if you can, they wouldn't be large enough to hold many passengers.

Hague
2010-09-14, 07:03 PM
Nah, Poison Spell would let me get people high on drugs by casting simple illusions on them, that's all. Of course, I'd charge money.

Fat people love chefs who make good food right?

Don't druggos love dealers who give them a show with their fix?

And what with all the skullduggery and crazed magical crap going on, you'd think that the drug spell-caster would be the bad guy here?

Tetrasodium
2010-09-14, 07:07 PM
Eh... but the size restriction is limited - also they'd be nothing like helicopters in the way the move, their weapons or anything (the helicopter look would be entirely ascetic) and I don't think you can ride them (and a submarine wouldn't offer life support except through a primitive means of containing very limited air); if you can, they wouldn't be large enough to hold many passengers.

use an air elemental to purify the air for breathing, there are lots of ways to bind one including the possibility of a custom low level spell for a tiny air elemental or something.

Orzel
2010-09-14, 07:08 PM
Y'know, I think all this XP grinding stuff would be deprecated after a while. The GM (god) is omnipresent, and he'll detest you finding an easy to way to slay brown bears with your epic craft (trapmaking) skill. I'm not talking divine vengeance, but the XP would clearly just stop flowing.

But if it weren't the case, then I imagine there would be territorial battles for the rockies where people erect cloning labs (to keep brown bears out of endangered territory; they already are pretty close to that) and set lose ultra violent, brown bears on steroids that yield maximum XP for each up front kill - which means you'd be seeing your typical ranger riding on top of an all-terrain humvee with .50 caliber and a UAV drone animal companion.

Probably won't get that far that fast.

At first each ranger/druid/scout/wildernessrogues will have their own wild place to patrol (killing intruders who don't pay to enter). There won't be too many as rangers, druids, scouts and wilderness rogues aren't as popular as clerics, psionicists, and arcanists among D&D experts. I know I'd be one of the maybe 5 mystic rangers on the planet.

After a few go down to animals and random adventurers, those left alive will most likely be hired by the nearest major government. Then the animal cloning and reanimating dinosaurs begins. But that's at least a year or 2 in.

Mystic Muse
2010-09-14, 07:17 PM
I"d of course need to know my stats but probably bard or something that doesn't require huge stats if I can't know my stats.

Urpriest
2010-09-14, 07:41 PM
I'd go for diplomancer. You don't have to kill things to get XP, you just need to overcome encounters. I'd just convince lvl 1 shopkeepers to give me things for free. I'd gain XP pretty rapidly (each shopkeeper is 300XP if we're both lvl 1, more if they're higher level, so I only need four to get second level).

Diplomancers start out fast. After a few shopkeepers I'd be able to convince those trying to farm me for XP to join my side in under 6 seconds by binding Naberius (though on the other hand I would have to give speeches constantly, which could prove troublesome since I am in classrooms most of the day). When higher level foes start hunting me down I'll dipolmance an artificer and get a wand of celerity so I can dipolmance as an immediate action.

Demons_eye
2010-09-14, 07:59 PM
Binder beacuse its to awesome. To many thing are cool but yo pick my favorites: fast healing, all day invis, rock elemental, speak any language, fast ability heal, and cutting your own throat to kill you foe. The first and the last make a great combo if used long enough.

nolispe
2010-09-14, 08:31 PM
About the PbP thing, could I sign up?

kalkyrie
2010-09-14, 08:51 PM
First thing I do will be find my arch-enemy.
My flatmate.
They'll be another lvl 1 character, similar build to me.
We'll both take Vow of Nonviolence, or whatever feat forces us to do non-lethal damage.

We'll then get into arguments and fights over *everything*. Every ten minutes. Because we're flatmates.
Every ten minutes we have a encounter with someone equal to our character level. We rocket up in exp, and noone outside the house can tell!

Aim is to gain access to the Genesis spell and leave the Earth. Because two debating diplomancers will probably beat us to epic levels, and we don't want to around when one of them gets access to a TV station.

Erts
2010-09-14, 09:20 PM
I think we need to decide: Will the orbs come to people after the first wave?

I think it makes for a better story and is more realistic for us to say no. Why?

First off, because everyone, literally (no, not figuratively) everyone will have class levels. I know I'd teach the game straight away to my friends and family, and then boom, magical orbs.
Everyone will have this attitude, and imagine an entire world with class levels. We'd (as in, the whole human race) will die very, very fast. People will use spells to mass produce them, and parachute copies all over the world.

Also, story wise, whichever being is doing this probably doesn't want to just hand out free DND skills to everyone, he probably intended this for players.
Which raises another question, how do we classify a player? Someone who played once? Someone who has a basic understanding of the rules?
This doesn't mean that information in the source books is not useful to people who didn't play before, far from it. DR and such still exist, and I can imagine that trying to find all the random crap for spell components (seriously, look them up on the hypertext, frigging insane.)

Also, for you saying "Wilderness classes for the win!" well, in a modern setting, with guns and such, and buddies, what's to stop me and my ranger buddy from going into the woods and blowing everything we see to hell?

I think I'm going for Erudite.
Teleport is a must in this world.

Orzel
2010-09-14, 10:14 PM
My thought at first is that there is only one single wave. Any living human who has read any D&D rulebook, ran any D&D game, created or played any D&D character, or played any official D&D strategy or video game at any time by September 1 2010 gets an orb. So if your little brother played Neverwinter Nights, he gets an orb.

Additional orbs require high level magic and lots of money or XP. A new wave of orbs would need epic spellcasting. For the most part, new orbs wouldn't come until someone hits 7-8th level. By the time someone can shoot off a new generation of class orbs, Earth would already been screwed by epic magic fights/conquest.

Shovah
2010-09-14, 10:21 PM
First thing I do will be find my arch-enemy.
My flatmate.
They'll be another lvl 1 character, similar build to me.
We'll both take Vow of Nonviolence, or whatever feat forces us to do non-lethal damage.

We'll then get into arguments and fights over *everything*. Every ten minutes. Because we're flatmates.
Every ten minutes we have a encounter with someone equal to our character level. We rocket up in exp, and noone outside the house can tell!

Aim is to gain access to the Genesis spell and leave the Earth. Because two debating diplomancers will probably beat us to epic levels, and we don't want to around when one of them gets access to a TV station.

Isn't there some kind of rule that says this kind of thing doesn't actually count as an encounter?

Another_Poet
2010-09-14, 10:34 PM

Except the Divination specialists. And anyone in your hood with a decent Listen mod and an ounce of common sense. (DC to hear a fight is 0, plus 9 or so to hear it through a wall from 50' feet away.)

Quincunx
2010-09-15, 02:57 AM
{Scrubbed}

akma
2010-09-15, 06:47 AM
Law enforcement doesn't send in a level appropriate encounter. They send in the SWAT team. That's 20 or so level 2-3 warriors with automatic guns against your level 1 miscreant.

Also, the general populace won't know who is an adventurer unless they start casting spells or something. This won't be a MMORPG where our levels and classes are open to all. Thus, I'm not sure how people will "hunt down the weak adventurers" when the "weak" look no different than the everyday commoners, experts, etc.

I do find it intriguing as a game but I'd just use skills gained from a class to make money. Sure, some wizard will take over the world sooner or later but I wouldn't care. Since I don't want to post: "I roll a profession check to make mad money", I'm not going to play :smallsmile:

Law enforcement can`t send the SWAT at everyone, and it will make more sense to regular cops to arrest players first. I guess I would earn XP for outrunning them if I`ll decide not to fight.
Also, they could track me down thru my use of RPG forums. Same with other players - you won`t necceserly have to do anything to get caught.

Thatguyoverther
2010-09-15, 11:20 AM
Alot of people seem to be picking Warlock and Binder.

Aren't you people concerned with the whole sell your soul/ share your body thing? It's fine when it's just a character you're playing, but my guess is it sucks when it actually happens to you.

tyckspoon
2010-09-15, 12:39 PM
Aren't you people concerned with the whole sell your soul/ share your body thing? It's fine when it's just a character you're playing, but my guess is it sucks when it actually happens to you.

Not especially as regards Warlock, because there is nothing that absolutely requires you to either make a contract at all or to make it with a fiend if you do. If for some reason you can't innately have Warlock powers, you can contract with celestials or faeries or pretty much anything that has inherent power and may be willing to share it with you.

Urpriest
2010-09-15, 12:55 PM
Binder I agree will be...inconvenient. Permanently having a scratchy voice and being compelled to speak at podiums will have amusing results at the university where I work...but if I'm a dipolmancer, I can always convince people I was supposed to give that speech, and I have a cold.

arguskos
2010-09-15, 01:04 PM
Binder I agree will be...inconvenient. Permanently having a scratchy voice and being compelled to speak at podiums will have amusing results at the university where I work...but if I'm a dipolmancer, I can always convince people I was supposed to give that speech, and I have a cold.
Binder would be awesomesauce. Being Cthulhoid is awesome.

Also, what happens if someone takes Cleric [Vecna] or something? Does that god suddenly spring into life? If so, man, someone could pick like Cleric [Tharzidun] and really shaft everyone.

Ormagoden
2010-09-15, 01:44 PM
I don't think my build will be any good!

Factotum with the following stats! I guess I could always go sorcerer...

STR: 10
CON: 8
INT(pt1/pt2): 13/14
CHA: 20

Tyndmyr
2010-09-15, 01:47 PM
Binder would be awesomesauce. Being Cthulhoid is awesome.

Also, what happens if someone takes Cleric [Vecna] or something? Does that god suddenly spring into life? If so, man, someone could pick like Cleric [Tharzidun] and really shaft everyone.

Well, dieties do gain power from their worshippers.

What happens when thousands of people began worshipping dieties, or better yet, devoting themselves to elder evils for power is an excellent question.

*evil chuckle*

Forrestfire
2010-09-15, 02:04 PM
STR: 9
DEX: 17
INT: 11/16 = 14
Cha: 15

I'd have to go Arcane Swordsage.

My feats would be Night Haunt and Adaptive Style (human bonus feat).

Arcane swordsage opens up a plethora of spell options, so that'd be fun.
The spells and maneuvers I'd pick for my first level would be:
-Cure light wounds (Bard 1st)
-Sleep (Wizard 1st)
-Endure Elements (Wizard 1st)
-Alarm (Wizard 1st)
-Mighty Throw (Setting Sun 1st)
-Benign Transposition (Wizard 1st)
-Stance: Step of the Wind (Setting Sun 1st)

...Yeah, that sounds about broken right

Birstel
2010-09-15, 02:19 PM
I just can't think of a decent class with this one. I guess Wizard or Sorcerer?

Str 12
Dex 9
Con 11
Int 14/16
Int 15
Wis 11
Cha 15

Telonius
2010-09-15, 02:35 PM
I'd probably go with Cloistered Cleric of Sharess (Domains: Lust and Trickery).

SurlySeraph
2010-09-15, 03:00 PM
Cloistered Cleric is certainly useful, especially for free Knowledge Devotion. I'd go with Healing Devotion (because you're squishy) and Time Domain (free Improved Initiative! Ridiculously good spell list!) myself.

BunnyMaster42
2010-09-15, 04:12 PM
Hmm, tough choice.

I'd probably go with druid in the end though, provided I have enough wisdom to cast some decent spells, but any caster would do really. Then I'd disappear into the wilderness for a while, get to level 5 or so, then make my way out to sea.

With water breathing, or even just an aquatic wildshape form, I could make myself quite comfortable in the ocean. Being far away from the rest of the world (which has probably been thrown into chaos), I could then work on hunting various sea creatures for XP, scouring the ocean floor for any sort of treasure (unlikely, but possible), and just generally getting stronger while staying out of trouble.

Once I'm a high enough level I would probably see about helping with any sort of pirate situations I might run across, and maybe even travel back to shore to find a friendly neighborhood articifier from which to buy items with my oceanic plunder.

If all goes well then I should be able to become decently powerful, build up an army of sea creatures, and then patrol the seas aquaman-style, except more awesomely and with the potential of riding a shark around.

And should I accidentaly stumble upon R'lyeh in my deep sea travels, well, then let's hope Mr. Cthulhu is a sound sleeper.

Oh, and should I not have the required stats for any real reason then I'd go for warlock or a binder, because unlimited spell like abilities per day is just awesome.

Makiru
2010-09-15, 08:09 PM
Darn, according to that (lame) test, that's probably -

- Can't even do one push up or one sit up.
- Maximum bench: 30 pounds (just the bar, no weight).
- Jogging makes your quads sore (realistically)

Asthma and spending basically your entire life inside doesn't do your muscles any favors. As I recall, the answers I put were: bench 40 lbs., 6 push-ups a minute and 1 sit-up before losing tempo, all of which are mostly true. And, yes, jogging does make my legs sore really quickly, but I can do several flights of stairs before being winded. I really don't get sick and can take at least a few hits before going down, which does explain the average Con.

kalkyrie
2010-09-16, 07:50 AM
Isn't there some kind of rule that says this kind of thing doesn't actually count as an encounter?

There might be, depending on the DM (which raises a new set of questions).
But the basic concept- find an enemy who won't kill you (Vow of Non-violence, LG alignment, etc) and keep attacking them with non-lethal attacks, will still work.
Think Golden Age superheroes and villians. (Or ripping off a shopkeeper who plays D&D for diplomancers).

In general, gaining exp without killing people is a very good idea. It means that all the police, SWAT teams and divination experts will be more bothered about those who have gone on a killing spree. Act like normal humans (rowing couples, etc) where ever possible, until you hit high enough level to get out of there. (Rope Trick might work, depending on setting).
Also, hide your roleplaying books.

On another level, militaries are likely to remain very strong. A significant fraction of soldiers play D&D during quiet times. Once the chain of command figures out what is happening, expect military training exercises designed to power level D&D playing soldiers.

boj0
2010-09-16, 08:55 AM
Probably go Bard or Sorcerer; charm important people and diplomize mooks, set myself up as some sort of millionaire playboy, use glibness to lie in zone of truth court rooms when necessary. Make friends with an Artificer and a Wizard, set them up with money and "material pleasures" at low levels then call in favors at higher levels. Then live in a life of luxury and comfort until some one rolls Pun-Pun.

bokodasu
2010-09-16, 09:42 AM
Yeah, I think one thing a lot of people seem to be overlooking is that there are D&D players all over the place. I've played with people in every branch of the military (except AF, for some reason, but including the National Guard), and generally at least half the people I play with are government contractors. So it's not like "they" (for whatever value of "they" you're worried about) are going to be all mundanes with sticks and rakes or whatever.

Also there's no DM guaranteeing level-appropriate encounters. Just sayin'.

Me, my first thought is how I'm going to protect my family, because only my husband and big girl would get orbs, and we'd still have a baby to take care of. Also, I'd have a 7-year-old who could cast Produce Flame, which could be a problem. (But if I chose carefully, I could cast "sleep" which I've always wanted to do at 2 in the morning when the kids think it's playtime, so hey, bonus.)

And my second thought would be how to take down a couple of the players in my current group. One would probably neutralize himself by picking wizard without the necessary INT, but the other could be... dangerous. And he would definitely hunt other D&Deified people. Then again, I think most of the rest of our group would recognize this and we'd form Team Old Folk and take care of it.

On the plus side, all my best friends from college would get to be superpowered, and one of them is a total munchkin, so hey, I'd have some power on my side too.

I'd have to go druid, anyway. Two words: National Zoo. (For choice of animal companion! Not hunting. I'm a little disturbed at how many people are willing to wipe out endangered species just for a little XP. But hey, that's why I'm going druid.)

Urpriest
2010-09-16, 09:57 AM
One thing I'd do very early on: tell my family to get rid of the cat. Now.

Even if they're mid-level experts, that thing can have a nasty full attack. And think of the children!

kestrel404
2010-09-16, 11:13 AM
Yeah, I think one thing a lot of people seem to be overlooking is that there are D&D players all over the place. I've played with people in every branch of the military (except AF, for some reason, but including the National Guard), and generally at least half the people I play with are government contractors. So it's not like "they" (for whatever value of "they" you're worried about) are going to be all mundanes with sticks and rakes or whatever.

Yeah, this is totally true. Especially amusing is that the agency with the highest percentage of "PCs" will be the NSA. Seriously, they're almost all geeks.

Me, my first thought is how I'm going to protect my family, because only my husband and big girl would get orbs, and we'd still have a baby to take care of. Also, I'd have a 7-year-old who could cast Produce Flame, which could be a problem. (But if I chose carefully, I could cast "sleep" which I've always wanted to do at 2 in the morning when the kids think it's playtime, so hey, bonus.)

Yep, I'm right there with you. My little one is nowhere near old enough to get an orb, even if she enjoys looking at the pictures in daddy's books. Fortunately, between me and my wife and our friends, I'm not that concerned, for the short-term at least.

Soren Hero
2010-09-17, 05:04 AM
STR: 13
DEX: 17
INT(pt1/pt2): 13/17
INT: 15
CHA: 19

I guess with stats like that, i could be a sorcerer or wizard...my goal would be to get to caster level 7, grab the craft wondrous item then start producing dusts of sneezing and choking...the only caveat is that i need the spell "poison", which is only on cleric/druid spell list...im sure someone could provide scrolls or wands...after this is achieved, i'd always be prepared for fights against other casters

nolispe
2010-09-17, 05:27 AM
I hate to say it, but I would choose a wizard, take precoucious apprentice as soon as possible, and take summon mirror mephit. And the moment I got my orb, I would try Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu.

Tyndmyr
2010-09-17, 06:52 AM
I hate to say it, but I would choose a wizard, take precoucious apprentice as soon as possible, and take summon mirror mephit. And the moment I got my orb, I would try Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu.

One slight problem. Sarruk only exist in faerun. Pazuzu exists elsewhere.

imp_fireball
2010-09-17, 04:20 PM
And what with all the skullduggery and crazed magical crap going on, you'd think that the drug spell-caster would be the bad guy here?

If he wasn't the bad guy, then that'd sanctify that law and order has broken down, almost overnight - forcing the government to implicate martial law (national guard everywhere; so essentially north america becomes like the PRC). Which is BAD.

imp_fireball
2010-09-17, 04:23 PM

Warlocks and binders are assumed to be ambitious enough that getting raped doesn't suck for them. :smallyuk:

imp_fireball
2010-09-17, 04:50 PM
Law enforcement can`t send the SWAT at everyone, and it will make more sense to regular cops to arrest players first. I guess I would earn XP for outrunning them if I`ll decide not to fight.
Also, they could track me down thru my use of RPG forums. Same with other players - you won`t necceserly have to do anything to get caught.

Wise governments would try to adapt and take advantage of things, surely.

There may be a few odd cops and soldiers out there that receive class levels on the first wave. Also, cops and soldiers already know how to fight, so combine that with superpowers from class levels - that should give them some sort of advantageous template (via level adjustment or whatever).

There'd be a lot of nerds out there that would try running head first into combat and getting killed by mundane dudes that are level headed, despite the nerds having superpowers.

The below is a kick-ass inspired horror dialogue

Nerd: Sweet! Dude, I'm totally gonna loot that cop.
Nerd 2: What - are you insane? What are you?
Nerd: Level 3 barbarian... I'll kick his ass. Just watch me.
Nerd 2: Woah dude, how'd you get that high?
Nerd: I've been doing things homie. Where the hell were you.
Nerd 2: Um... yah, I'm a cleric so if you get wounded or whatever, scream in pain... or something. I'll heal you. I'm pretty sure I know how.
Nerd: Alright, sweet... oh my god I'm doing this. Sup!

Cop: What the hell do you want kid?

Nerd: Um... uh... what the hell do I want? I want your head on my mantle!

Cop: .... ? Are you kidding me kid. What've you and your friend been doing? Where'd you get the bright idea to be wandering out this late.

Nerd: Uh... uh... okay, get ready. Uber charge!

Cop: What the - Freeze! Back away!

*with face red, kid charges brandishing a knife in an exaggerated mock fashion, Cop opens fire - and nails the kid with 14 bulles at close range in half a second; 49 damage total, enough to drop a typical ECL 3 raging barbarian*

Nerd: Ack - ah!
Nerd 2: D-damn, that's loud! Uh... I'm coming to heal you. Say something if you're still alive... um, are you? Did you forget to rage... oh ****.
Nerd: *gurgle*
Cop: Stand down! Hands over your head! Get the hell on the ground!
Nerd 2: You shot my friend, you... you... cure moderate wounds! Do I know that? Uh... !
Nerd: *coughs*
Cop: I'm not seein' 'em! Hands on the ground you little after birth! *leans into shoulder radio* I've gotta suspect that needs medical attention. Hey! Damn hands off your pal there! You just pissed off the wrong cop today. ****, I never knew these kids had it in them - they don't even have social skills! Jesus. The whole world is gone insane.
Nerd 2: But I... I have to heal my friend.
Cop: You're not jesus. You're friend is gone and you'll be too if you don't co-operate you little puss bucket.
Nerd 2: *horrified half squeel half scream of rage* AHHHH!!! Inflict - !
Cop: *opens fire in fear again and empties entire clip* Huh.... Oh christ. Two bodies. 44, two bodies over. Status unknown. I don't wanna know. God damn. *sniffs* Where the heck is that smoke coming from? *observes legs* Oh jesus! How did that kid scald me? Feels like I've got a third degree. Ah damn.

One slight problem. Sarruk only exist in faerun. Pazuzu exists elsewhere.

And yet none of them exist on earth. Seeing as this is set on earth, I think we can all safely bet on setting mash up.

grimbold
2010-09-19, 01:30 AM
wizard would be killer. I would then go to a pond, kill a couple hundred toads and advance two levels to get flame strike upon which i would kill more animals in my quest for power. Until i get fireball, that is like packaged fun, and fly and invisibility to confuse people.