PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Tutorial Dungeon

MrEdwardNigma
2010-09-13, 07:38 PM
A while ago some friends asked me to run a D&D game for them. Unfortunately, none of them have any experience with the rules, and I only have a very limited amount of experience playing and no experience DMing. This is why I have decided to build a tutorial dungeon for our first session to explain certain rules. However, I could really use your help with building it.

The idea to the tutorial dungeon is teaching my players the game while playing, instead of forcing them to just read the player's handbook. I also want to familiarise them with the D&D world.

I plan to explain a couple of rules in each small section of the dungeon. For instance, one of the battles could have someone with a reach weapon as their enemy, which would allow me to explain those rules, a trap could require a will save, a section might feature difficult terrain, etcetera... I would like to fit as many as possible rules into the tutorial dungeon to be able to explain everything, though at all times I would like to stop it from becoming confusing. That is to say, I don't want them to be introduced to so many rules in a single section that they interfere with each other and get confusing. Before explaining combat with reach weapons, combat with regular weapons needs to be explained for example.

My players are a human fighter with a hatred for paladins, an elven ranger with rather low rolls (but high dexterity so he'll be focusing on archery) and a halfling rogue. There will also be a fourth player but his character has yet to be built.

The dungeon they will be traversing is called the Hell Pit. It is located in the middle of a sprawling city but predates it by a long time. When the humans settled there they discovered the deep dark hole full of monsters and placed constant guards around it. It soon became a habit to toss attacking monsters into the pit, as that was the easiest method of getting rid of them. Some of the monsters tossed in survived and thrived in the Pit. Eventually the Pit was accepted into the justice system as an alternative to the death penalty. Since there was a faint possibility of surviving the Pit (it hasn't been explored properly and there may thusly be an alternative exit, in fact, legend has it that there is) it was a punishment reserved for those whose conviction wasn't beyond a shadow of a doubt. The logic was that if the gods favoured you, you would find the fabled exit.

I've already decided my players will start out without weapons, lowered into the Pit shaft by rope. They will have to wriggle free, at which point they'll find out about falling damage. The bottom of the shaft will feature some sort of combat (explaining unarmed rules) and afterwards they'll be able to pick up some weak weapons from the corpses of people whose ropes broke before they were all the way down and of whatever foe they just beat.

The Hell Pit is supposed to be utterly difficult but the PCs were preceded by a rather epic character who has killed most of what was in there. This means they will be following in his wake, fighting the leftovers.

The setting in this game is a planet used for figuring out which race is the toughest for scientific purposes. The Hell Pit actually used to be a laboratory of the advanced society that started this research. This explains the variety of monsters in there and could also explain any sort of magical (or actually technological) healing in there, which might be needed considering the PCs don't have a healer. The advanced technology is this dungeon's variation of magic. It's all very dilapidated but a lot of traps and stuff could still be in working order.

So, can you help me, Playground? What should I do after the unarmed encounter? How should I even flesh out that first encounter?

quiet1mi
2010-09-13, 11:37 PM
My suggestion is to start simpler... if you want them to learn combat, have a gladiatorial game...

Watch the movie gladiator a few times to find a feel, and go from there...

JeminiZero
2010-09-13, 11:59 PM
You might want to break the 4th wall entirely, and forget about any sort of setting. Just tell them they are going through a tutorial dungeon purely for learning purposes, and no other real reason. That way you don't have to justify stuff like "why is there a pack of wolves in a sealed room, when there is obviously no source of prey for them".

Along the way, you can even have them using different characters, so that they can get a feel for the various class mechanics. In particular, the Vancian casting system is rather different, and takes some getting used to, for those brought up on the mana system.

MrEdwardNigma
2010-09-14, 04:55 AM
We're only playing core, so whatever the Vancian system is there will be no need to explain it. Also, they'll be playing these characters for a while, so they don't need to be taught other classes yet.

I'm not sure why I'd want to cut down on the plot, as I don't see it getting in the way of anything. I mean, I understand why you guys would suggest simplicity in that regard, but really, I can handle the bit of plot. The thing that's difficult for me is explaining the rules in an orderly manner, and that's what I need help with.

FyreByrd
2010-09-14, 05:08 AM
Look through some of the monsters in the srd, and have a good range of different monsters with attack strategies, especially those that have more confusing(by raw) attacks.

So magic users, Aberrations with tentacles(for grapple attacks), things that posion/disease.

And although you'll be dm'ing, show them everything you do for these monsters, so they understand what's happening.

Oh and take it slow, and be prepared for lots of pauses!

Vancian magic is core by the way!

Peregrine
2010-09-14, 06:24 AM
We're only playing core, so whatever the Vancian system is there will be no need to explain it. Also, they'll be playing these characters for a while, so they don't need to be taught other classes yet.

"Vancian magic" refers to the system of limited spell slots and memorisation of spells that all of the core classes, especially prepared casters, use. It's because the inspiration for that system was drawn from Jack Vance's Dying Earth series of books.

I'm not sure why I'd want to cut down on the plot, as I don't see it getting in the way of anything. I mean, I understand why you guys would suggest simplicity in that regard, but really, I can handle the bit of plot. The thing that's difficult for me is explaining the rules in an orderly manner, and that's what I need help with.

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head: Pick a rule and make it the theme of a dungeon section. Lather, rinse, repeat. :smalltongue:

I would suggest having them do as much as possible. For example, rather than having them fall down once lowered in, you might start them out having to climb down (skill checks) -- and if/when one of them fails a check, then hey, they learn about falling damage.

Then the door at the bottom of the pit is stuck (ability checks and aid another).

On the other side of the door, fearful after surviving the passing of that epic character you mentioned, a monster is in hiding (spot checks). If spotted, it attacks (initiative and surprise round); if not, it will ambush them (ditto!). This first monster should be something nice and simple, no particular immunities or anything. Even so, your unarmed players should have to work tactically to beat it (melee attacks, damage, flanking, sneak attack).

Then they can arm themselves with daggers and clubs. Both of these types of weapon can be thrown (ranged attacks), so give them a ranged encounter next. (Maybe let them find one better weapon, a short sword, perhaps, that can't be thrown.) In fact, this can be an encounter against a slow, melee-only enemy, so that getting in some ranged attacks before closing to melee is a sensible move.

Next, fight a skeleton. Clubs good, daggers and short sword bad (damage reduction).

That's my first idea dump, anyway. :smallsmile:

bokodasu
2010-09-14, 07:08 AM
In addition to what everyone else said, focus is a key here; pick monsters that just do one new thing at a time.

You may have to break it down into smaller bites than you first think. For example, start with one enemy - your party can learn basic attack and defense, plus flanking - that's a lot of rules right there.

Then fight one enemy, and add in ranged attacks.

Then fight two enemies with no new abilities, and see how all the things you just learned work against the party.

Then fight two enemies, and make them wolves - hey, you just learned about trip!

If anything gets confusing, back up and see if you can break it down into yet smaller bits.

Good luck! My own DM is doing something like this now - not quite so formally, but also running the party through all 20 levels so we can see how things function at different power levels, which is pretty cool. It's definitely been instructive. (Although I just missed level 6 AND 7, so I haven't been able to be a bear who rides on a bear while summoning more bears yet. Grrrr.)

Doomboy911
2010-09-14, 03:33 PM
I suggest that in the beginning is a tunnel of water so they learn about swimming along with other types of terrain movement like climbing so they understand moving around. Send a flying monster and land monster at them that the fighter and elf have to fight respectively while the rogue tries to pick a lock.

The Big Dice
2010-09-14, 03:39 PM
<Some really good advice>
I really miss the old Red Box D&D. That had a great introductory dungeon. Ultimately, an introductory adventure needs to do two things. It needs to include as many aspects of the game system as it can, without getting cluttered. And it needs to introduce the setting.

Give the dungeon a theme, tanks advice from the people posting in this thread and don't sweat the small stuff. If mistakes get made, they get made. Own up to them after the fact, say you'll get it right next time and move on. Never go back and have a do-over because someone didn't die when they should have, but if you're teaching new players, go easy on them if a character dies because of a mistake in understanding or applying a rule.

MrEdwardNigma
2010-10-30, 12:37 PM
Any more advice?

This is happening tomorrow, and I've still got a lot of work on it.

Steveotep
2010-10-30, 01:25 PM
Please tell us how it goes in a new thread to avoid charges of Necromancy.

One thing often overlooked in intro games is the actual "roleplaying". Try to get them to see their characters as people rather than numbers. You can do this by immersive descriptions and rewarding roleplaying.

Use all five senses: Shadows flicker at the edge of the torchlight, footsteps echo, zombies smell, the doorknob feels cold and the healing potion tastes like key lime pie.

Use sweets to reward players who describe what they are doing from their character's perspective and avoid unnecessary game terminology.

balistafreak
2010-10-30, 08:12 PM
Use all five senses: Shadows flicker at the edge of the torchlight, footsteps echo, zombies smell, the doorknob feels cold and the healing potion tastes like key lime pie.

Not sure you want them to taste like key lime pie.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0002.html

MrEdwardNigma
2010-11-01, 08:09 AM
Please tell us how it goes in a new thread to avoid charges of Necromancy.

This is going to be my last post in this thread (or anyone's last post in this thread for that matter). I made a campaign log (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174189) in a new thread, again asking for some advice for my next session, but in a different capacity I guess than last time. Any remarks or questions go in the other thread!