PDA

View Full Version : [M+M] Amalgam Campaign Ideas

ShaggyMarco
2010-09-13, 08:18 PM
Me and a couple friends will be running a short Mutants and Masterminds game inspired by the Marvel/DC Amalgam comics imprint of the 90s.

Basically, we will each be taking 1 hero from Marvel and 1 from DC, mixing them together to taste, and taking turns running team-up scenarios while the third member of the group comes up with the villains and plot.

The PCs (I think):
Flashfire (Human Torch/The Flash)
Green Goliath (Hulk/Green Lantern)
Spirit of '76 (Captain America/The Specter)

Other discarded ideas: Thunderman (Thor/Superman), Iron B.A.T (Ironman/Batman), Bat-devil (Daredevil/Batman), Nightmare (Nightcrawler/Sandman), American Eagle (Captain America/Hawkman)

I will be running adventures for the team-up of Flashfire and Green Goliath.

Any ideas for amalgamations of Marvel and DC villains/the plots they would use which would resonate with both of these heroes?

I know that Flash and Green Lantern frequently teamed up over the years. Who did they fight against?

About me: My DC comic-fu is pretty weak, and my Marvel-fu is mighty in the Ultimate comics, and moderate everywhere else. We like to break away from amalgamations that appeared in the comics, and also like for there to be some kind of unifying feature of the two heroes (Human Torch and the Flash are both red, Hulk and Green Lantern are both green, Captain America and The Specter are both old-school golden age heroes).

My current idea is is something with Sinestro and The Leader (unifying feature: The Moustache!) as a great foil to Green Goliath.

I am also sure that some kind of Galactus/Silver Surfer scenario (Traditional villain of the Fantastic Four) could mesh well with some interstellar Green Lantern foes.

Ideas?

Binks
2010-09-13, 11:52 PM
Mesh with Galactus/Surfer? That's kind of hard with the green lantern foes who tend to be similarly powered, but there's a couple possible ways you could go with it. Making an amalgam of Galactus and the Manhunters (http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Manhunters) could be cool. Parallax (http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Parallax) could also work, playing up the fear aspect.

Hmm...you've got, on one side, Avenger members + an FF guy and on the other side Justice League + the Specter. Making an amalgam of a couple Avenger//Justice League villains might work, with the occasional mesh of Specter enemies (I know next to nothing about him, so I can't help there) and FF enemies as the Dragon to the lead villain or villains.

Your Leader//Sinestro idea would work great as the lead villain behind the scheme, the brains behind the plan. Toss in an Ultron//Brainiac combo (obvious what the link is) as the primary executor of the plans and a Galactus//(some specter enemy) as a lead lieutenant and you'd have a pretty good super-villain team, Leader//Sinestro provides the brains (and stays out of fights till the end when he emerges to fight at full strength of course), Ultron//Braniac can die as many times as needed, he just restores from a backup, and Galactus//(specter enemy) could be the raw mindless power that makes the heroes hesitant to attack until they're stronger and then provides and enemy that can be beat through tactics.

As for the plan...what would a combination of the Leader and Sinestro want that he could recruit an Ultron//Braniac for? Why obviously to take over the world and remake it in his image of course, with Ultron//Braniac signing on for the opportunity to oust the Leader//Sinestro and remake the world in their image, and Galactus//(someone) being lured in by free food essentially. An overarching goal of taking over the world seems like a perfect fit to me.

Just my .02c. Hope you find something of use in it, and your game goes well. Sounds like it could be a lot of fun (I'm just starting up my first M&M game myself actually, so here's hoping :P).

dsmiles
2010-09-14, 07:51 AM
So, with all that ultimate cosmic power, I guess a Kingpin/Lex Luthor amalgam is out. :smallfrown:

But how about a Mr. Mxyzptlk/Impossible Man amalgam to spice things up a little? :smallbiggrin:

TheEmerged
2010-09-14, 08:23 AM
We ran a short campaign like this once in HERO, except we expanded the field to include other companies. However, we enforced the rule that you couldn't make a pairing that was too similar (Batman/Daredevil, for example).

For example, a key background (NPC) character was Ghostwalker - an amalgam of the Phantom and The Spectre. A generational hero ("Father unto Father's son") bound by an oath of vengence, who himself tries to solve problems *wthout* using the nigh-cosmic powers available to him more than necessary.

Another was The Bunny, an amalgam of Wonder Woman... and Crackerjack, from Astro City. A competent, capable crimefighter who purposefully plays the fool. One particular schtick was a number of fake weaknesses :smallcool:

ShaggyMarco
2010-09-14, 11:28 AM
Here's my current plan:

The lead herald of Anti-Galactus (Anti-monitor+Galactus), the Sinister Surfer (Sinestro+Silver Surfer) arrives with the Herald Corps (amalgams of Galactus's Heralds and the Sinestro Corps).

The Herald Corps are tasked with softening up each dimension in order to make it easier to consume by their master, who travels from dimension to dimension, devouring realities.

Flashfire and Green Goliath will need to figure out a way to capture a herald and get information about what is going on out of them so that they can coordinate a plan to defeat the Anti-Galactus.

I am considering giving the Heralds some minions to use as their strike teams...maybe an amalgam of the Manhunters and Ultron? Perhaps, afterward, one of those minions will survive on earth, cut off from the collective, and be it's own threat, as the Utra-manhunter.

For those who know: are there other touches that would fill this idea out?

Is there any great amalgam potential in the Heralds of Galactus + Sinestro Corps?