PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Roleplaying Game (WotC Version)

Teutonic Knight
2010-09-13, 08:28 PM
Is it loo late to get into that? I know it has stopped being produced, but I'm pretty sure I can still find sourcebooks at a local bookstore. Or online.

If not, can someone teach me how to play. I already know Dnd 3.5 and whatever the current version of MnM is. 2, I think. Anyway, interest levels? Should I even start? :smallconfused:

Kylarra
2010-09-13, 08:47 PM
Star Wars Saga Edition is pretty good. It's mostly along the same lines as the rest of the D20 line.

Some key differences offhand are: increased starting hit points, consolidated skills, both in number and from skillpoints to trained/untrained, and the addition of a condition track that represents your overall condition so that you're not at "any positive integer for hitpoints means full power".

Dienekes
2010-09-13, 09:02 PM
Saga Edition is like v3.5 but more awesome. I'd definitely suggest looking into it and seeing if it's what you want. Combat's fun, generally balanced (a few things to look out for but only 1 is really easy to fall into unexpectedly and that is only unbalancing for maybe the first 3-4 levels before getting back in line)

Do not get the other d20 versions.

Or if you still want Star Wars there is the old d6, which is great as well. Personally I like Saga slightly more, but many disagree.

Teutonic Knight
2010-09-13, 09:09 PM
Yeah I was looking into the Saga Edition, cause that's about all they sell nowadays in bookstores where I can actually look at the book before buying.

KillianHawkeye
2010-09-13, 09:20 PM
Some of the earlier books are expensive or hard to find, but you can play just fine with only the core rulebook if you want to. I'd say the main factor in deciding to buy the game would be whether or not you have anybody to play it with.

Nich_Critic
2010-09-13, 09:24 PM
Some things about saga:

- It's really difficult to make a build that is non-functional. Unlike 3.5 where you can take levels of monk, and end up way behind the party, or multiclass nonsensically, pretty much no matter what you do in saga will be reasonably useful.

-About the only broken thing is abusing the condition track too much. You can make a one shot-one kill build by just attacking the condition track instead of health. Some jedi powers are a little bit off the wall, but they have limited uses per day so it's not all bad.

-Almost nothing scales with your level. If you take a feat, it will be the exact same feat when you're level 20. Same with your abilities. You choose your skills at the beginning, and take feats to improve them (but there won't be any insane things like jumplomancers). About the only thing that scales is power attack, and you can get a ranged version as well. Jedi powers all have fixed power.

The Big Dice
2010-09-13, 09:46 PM
-Almost nothing scales with your level.
Apart from skills, attacks, saves and hit points, of course. :smallwink:

Saga is very much the halfway house between 3.X and 4th ed D&D. In fact, if they'd used it as the template for 4th, then that could have been the best edition of D&D ever.

But I definetly suggest grabbing everyting for it that you can find. They aren't making any new stuff for it, so grab it while it's on the shelves.

And download the Dawn of Defiance campaign too. It's a free Adventure Path that WotC produced for it. It's got it's flaws, but DoD is worth mining for ideas and NPCs.

Katana_Geldar
2010-09-13, 09:48 PM
Saga is very much the halfway house between 3.X and 4th ed D&D. In fact, if they'd used it as the template for 4th, then that could have been the best edition of D&D ever.

Um, they did. :smalleek:

Saga is ny favourite system, it can be very fast and there's so many variations on the kind of game you can run with it. :smallbiggrin:

Jack Zander
2010-09-13, 09:53 PM
How to Win in Saga:

Cerean
Assuming 25 Point Buy
Str 8
Dex 6
Con 14
Int 15
Wis 16
Cha 15

Jedi 3/Noble 1/Soldier1/Jedi 2
Trained Skills: Acrobatics, Initiative, Perception, Use the Force
1st Level: Force Training (Negate Energy x3, Rebuke), Deflect
2nd Level: Skill Focus: Use the Force
3rd Level: Force Training (Negate Energy x3, Rebuke), Block
4th Level: +1 Int +1 Cha, Trained in Persuasion, Damage Reduction 10
5th Level: Draw Fire
6th Level: Force Training (Negate Energy x3, Rebuke), Skill Focus: Persuasion
7th Level: Skilled Adviser
Everything past this is just icing.

Thanks to being a Cerean you now win Initiative almost every single encounter, even with your laughable Dex (you get a +10 and 1 reroll if you rolled below a ten; if so, just take a ten on your next roll). First round, move in the middle of enemy horde, standard action +force point to activate your damage reduction, swift action to make a Persuasion check vs. Will Defense to all enemies within line of sight. Failure means they cannot attack any of your allies, so long as you don't have cover against them. Second round, Draw fire as a swift action and do whatever the Hell you want with your other two actions. If Draw Fire somehow fails, use it again as a move action, and again as a standard action if necessary.

Congratulations. You are nigh-impervious to any damage or effects (area effects like grenades may give you slight aggravation but that's what DR is for) and your allies never have to worry about ever being targeted for anything ever. They can devote 100% of their builds into dealing damage. Out of combat you are still useful as you can give +5 or +10 to any other party member's skill checks.

Katana_Geldar
2010-09-13, 10:06 PM
Jedi tend to be spotlight stealers though. I like Jedi, but simply for the nature of what they are they demand a lot of attention, sometimes at the expense of other players.

Jack Zander
2010-09-13, 10:22 PM
Jedi tend to be spotlight stealers though. I like Jedi, but simply for the nature of what they are they demand a lot of attention, sometimes at the expense of other players.

Players who are able to select interesting destinies and roles for themselves get the spotlight. Uninteresting people do not get spot lights shining on them. Han Solo had just as much if not more of a spot light on him than Luke did, because he was an interesting character with an interesting back story. Any character can be the main focus of the story. It doesn't take magical powers and voodoo magic to do that. All it requires is a player with a little bit of imagination.

The Big Dice
2010-09-13, 10:35 PM
Um, they did. :smalleek:
They sort of did, but they took things too far and ended up with 4th ed :smallsigh:

Ozreth
2010-09-13, 11:12 PM
I'm looking to get into this as well.

Is the core book all that you need as a player and a GM? Or are there separate books for both?

Also, is there a noobish published level 1 module for it? Is there one in the core book perhaps?

Thanks!

Jack Zander
2010-09-13, 11:13 PM
I'm looking to get into this as well.

Is the core book all that you need as a player and a GM? Or are there separate books for both?

Also, is there a noobish published level 1 module for it? Is there one in the core book perhaps?

Thanks!

One book for both.

Try doing a search for the Dawn of Defiance Campaign.

Ozreth
2010-09-13, 11:45 PM
One book for both.

Try doing a search for the Dawn of Defiance Campaign.

Awesome, thanks!

I hear that this system is great, I hope it dosen't turn me off of 3.5 :p

Jack Zander
2010-09-14, 12:02 AM
Awesome, thanks!

I hear that this system is great, I hope it dosen't turn me off of 3.5 :p

In all honesty, it probably will inspire you to ditch 3.5 and homebrew your own fantasy setting based on SAGA rules.

Lycan 01
2010-09-14, 12:14 AM
Wait, the Core rulebook is out of production now? Since when? :smallconfused:

I've got the Saga rulebook and the Starships of the Galaxy book. Unfortunately, a few bad experiences let me with a bad impression of Star Wars Saga. Three words: Jedi Power Gamers. I was a newbie GM, so I didn't realize how optimized/broken they made their characters until it was too late. So, I never use them. Now I've come to find out that Starships is worth about double what I originally paid for it. :smalleek: So I'm currently pondering if I should sell it, or keep it and wait for the value to rise even higher...

Jack Zander
2010-09-14, 12:23 AM

I've got the Saga rulebook and the Starships of the Galaxy book. Unfortunately, a few bad experiences let me with a bad impression of Star Wars Saga. Three words: Jedi Power Gamers. I was a newbie GM, so I didn't realize how optimized/broken they made their characters until it was too late. So, I never use them. Now I've come to find out that Starships is worth about double what I originally paid for it. :smalleek: So I'm currently pondering if I should sell it, or keep it and wait for the value to rise even higher...

Sell it. The value probably won't raise much more. Right now everyone wants these books because they aren't that old and they are out of print, but as soon as the next Star Wars RPG is created they will all be worthless.

Or keep it and have fun with it like you originally intended.

Lycan 01
2010-09-14, 12:28 AM
To be honest, I'd rather sell it. :smalltongue: I never used Starships of the Galaxies except for one space pirate game, which fell apart after two sessions. I can get along fine with the Core book and the starships included in it. If I can even find players for Star Wars, that is. Actually, maybe I should talk to my college RPG group about SWS tommorrow... :smallamused:

Teutonic Knight
2010-09-14, 02:07 AM

Yeah, I have no want to play Jedi, and I despise power/meta gaming. With RPGs I just want to make a character I want to play with my own choices put in, and play for fun, not to win. I actually wanted to get into this because I was reading up on Sith history and felt like playing a Sith warrior, not a Jedi, but simply a Sith, maybe force-user, not necessarily wielding a lightsaber. Really, it's like I want KOTOR but in tabletop format. With an original adventure.

Shenanigans
2010-09-14, 08:21 AM
I agree with most of what's been said. I'm not a big fan of 4th edition at all, but I do like a lot of the features they changed/added (defenses, skill consolidation, more durable 1st level characters). I think Saga Edition, which my friends and I call 3.75, implemented those better, while still maintaining the 3.5 identity. The talent tree system and condition track are also great.

There are some potential problems. Like folks have said, Force-using characters can become overpowered, and min/max playing can get out of hand, but that's any system. Generally, all our characters are effective and fun.

Overall, Saga Edition is a whole lot of fun, especially if you're any kind of Star Wars fan. It's my current favorite system. My buddies and I are finishing up the Dawn of Defiance campaign, and we love it. In fact, we're planning a new campaign already.

Rezby
2010-09-18, 10:07 PM
How to Win in Saga:

A very nice build

The one thing you didn't account for is how a Scout can take Evasion as a talent at level one, and its actually D&D Improved Evasion, half damage regardless on area attacks, and no damage at all if it fails to hit your reflex defence. So a single level dip in Scout for Evasion and you're basically good. 'Hey guys, come hit me! What's that? a physical attack? *block* What's that? something being fired at me? *block* Whats that? A grenade? lolno *evasion*

This is the next basic build concept I'm going for, being impossible to hit, but also drawing all enemy fire leaving my weaker medic/droid allies to be more surviving.

In fact, my current character, a wookiee soldier with a bowcaster thats been modified by a droid to have autofire, took a dip in Scout for Evasion, and basically combine that with my 20 defence Reflex (level 5, btw), and the in-group joke is that no, you don't hit me, I have evasion. Its how I can survive the capital ship I'm in exploding! Thats an area attack, yes? :D

Starbuck_II
2010-09-18, 10:15 PM
-About the only broken thing is abusing the condition track too much. You can make a one shot-one kill build by just attacking the condition track instead of health. Some jedi powers are a little bit off the wall, but they have limited uses per day so it's not all bad.

You mean like Force Stun? That was my favorite Jedi power. I mean, you can't get Dark side from it as it largely just knocks them out.
You can them Coup de Grace if you like or turn them into authorities if possible.

Force Heal rocks too because otherwise few ways to heal.

darkpuppy
2010-09-18, 10:18 PM
Heh, we've just received proof that powergaming and minmaxing is possible in Saga edition. But y'know what? that's actually alright. I ran a successful Saga campaign quite recently, and I've heavily enjoyed the game. I didn't really think of it so much a 3.75E as a D20 Modern 2E, but nonetheless, either comparison sticks. I'd definitely recommend it to people wanting a good Star Wars game, and, as noted, so long as you have an interesting Destiny, you're gold. It's also one of the few systems where I actually enjoyed and wanted the optional rules, as opposed to considering them "pain-in-the-rear-end-bookkeeping-chores" or "OMG-Not-Another-Rulebook-To-Tote-Around" addons.

Of course, the system isn't without its flaws (at above 8th level, even Corellian Power-Armour is only kept for the fact it has its own oxygen supply, as an example), but if you're looking for fun, easy-to-handle play, then this is the game for you. On top of that, while weak characters are still do-able, it is extremely hard to find a game-breakingly bad build. OPing is easy, I want someone to make the worst build possible. Only then shall they have the biggest e-peen in this thread!

Rezby
2010-09-18, 10:25 PM
Darkpuppy, I dunno if its worst build possible, but my wookiee is almost entirely melee-spec'd in terms of talents and feats chosen, yet he relies nigh purely upon his automatic bowcaster or grenades for when he needs to hit a 5 by 5 square of mooks.

Feats: Duel Weapon Master I, Point Blank Shot, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Shake it Off [bonus feat from scout level] and armor and weapon proficencies.

Talents: Devestating Attack: Bowcaster, Gunclub, Evasion.

Stats: Str 18, Dex 16, Con 18, Int 10, Wis 6, Cha 6. [talk about minmaxing!]

So its a pretty retarded build considering I just stand around and go WA HA HA, BABIES most of the time. See, the plan was to go shoot people while moving closer to them, then charge them with a double attack with the bowcaster gunclub with an attached vibro-bayonet, then quick draw switch it in for my vibro-axe and power attack their head off, but then I realized it was a lot more fun and star wars to stand around with a machine crossbow.

darkpuppy
2010-09-18, 10:38 PM
Y'know what? that's not a hilariously bad build, but the rationale behind it is plain hilarious. Lovin' it, man... I just had this image of a wookie with a huge chin and big belly bowcastering an entire group of Trandoshans with sticky-bombs while yelling "CRY SOME MORE!" in Shyyriiwook! :smallbiggrin:

Rezby
2010-09-18, 10:44 PM
No, it gets better. He received a Bracer Computer, which is effectively a wrist Data Pad, so anything he says in Shyyriiwook gets picked up and translated into Basic by it - in effectively Microsoft Sam's voice. Cry. Some. More. Wah. Ha. Ha. Ha.

Image-wise, he's damn big - for a wookiee. 8 feet tall and about 350-400 pounds, dark grey fur matted with scars. His backstory is he and his brother had a quarrel about both loving the same lady, and he became a mad claw.

Oh, there's more. Our ship had a Gizka (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gizka) infestation, and it was driving everybody nuts, so he was like, I HAVE GOOD IDEA, so he rounded up a **** ton of them. Then made a stew out of them. Turns out the fumes alone were a damn strong hallucinigen (as well as smelling reaaaally foul), so the party locked him up in the kitchen where he got really high and stumbled around like a durp for a while, which the party filmed and put it up on the future-internet-youtube. It got so many views.

Its the most hilarious character concept I've ever come up with.

darkpuppy
2010-09-18, 11:25 PM
Oh, man, that rivals my Star Wars D20 (older) character who was infamously known as Nayell Darhan the Force Inept... most famous for successfully rescuing an ambassador (darned close to posthumously) with just Force Speed, and a tarp covered Wheelbarrow properly secured. XD

FelixG
2010-09-19, 09:47 AM
I personally still play Starwars D20 revised and Space D6 (the free generic version of starwars d6)

Bowerbird
2010-09-19, 12:48 PM
I for one am a big fan of SAGA, been on and off running a campaign IRL and have been trying desperately to collect the old books. All I'm missing is KOTOR and Starships and those are apprently the hardest ones to get... Typically as soon as I started spending money on it they went out of print.. :smallannoyed: Ideally what I'm kindof hopiong for is for someone to do with it what was done with the Dark heresy line, and continue it with it's original system.

Lycan 01
2010-09-19, 01:24 PM
Well that's tragically ironic. I was about to put my Starships of the Galaxy up on Amazon for about 68 bucks. Sorry Bower, but I need the money. :smalltongue:

Its not that useful anyway. I played Star Wars several times, but only really used Starships once. I mean, you can easily just get by with the regular stats and rules for starships in the core rulebook. Yeah, the players wanted all the specially customized A-Wings and stuff, but they never had the money for them anyway. So unless you're gonna run a high level game with lots of space focus, I don't think you're gonna get your money's worth out of it.

Try Ebay, though. I see it cheap on there all the time, compared to Amazon.

Jack Zander
2010-09-19, 11:45 PM
The one thing you didn't account for is how a Scout can take Evasion as a talent at level one, and its actually D&D Improved Evasion, half damage regardless on area attacks, and no damage at all if it fails to hit your reflex defence. So a single level dip in Scout for Evasion and you're basically good. 'Hey guys, come hit me! What's that? a physical attack? *block* What's that? something being fired at me? *block* Whats that? A grenade? lolno *evasion*

I forgot that evasion and improved evasion are all in one talent now. Thanks for that bit of advice. Although it should be noted that with the build I've proposed you cannot get into the Jedi Knight class until level 9. Taking a level of scout would delay Jedi Knight until level 10. At level 7 you should evaluate if the GM has been using area attacks to try to stop you or throwing hordes of enemies to try to whittle down your defenses. If he hasn't caught on to area attacks yet, go for Jedi Knight and grab Soresu/Shii-Cho before dipping into scout.

Rezby
2010-09-20, 12:30 AM
Mooks always like to lob grenades, I think its worth the dip. As long as you're not planning on personally going to clear out the jungle wilds, you'll be facing people enemies, and if the DM has half a brain, he'll realize that most enemies carry grenades since those are good firepower and are excellent back up weapons. Always. This one time, we were going on a suicide run against the sith, so we just stocked ourselves up with as many explosives as we could.

And lycan, clearly none of your players has ever been a Noble with the Wealth talent, then.

Bowerbird
2010-09-20, 02:12 AM
Well, I'm mainly after it for two reasons, one to complete the collection and the other is that it has the tech specialist talents and feats in it, also vehicles. I'm tempted to offer to buy it off you for that, if it's in good condition...

As for explosives, yeah they're fun for the GM to use too. I had one instance where a player was boarding a transport manned by Stormtroopers, after he messily killed all the other troopers, including the driver, the last one just popped the pin on his grenade and leapt overboard. The character survived the grenade going off, and then had to try and steer the thing while sitting on the front leaning in through the windshield :smalltongue:

FelixG
2010-09-20, 04:57 AM
Good way to kill a boss: Find his escape ship/speeder, plant a bomb in the drivers console, go fight him then watch him blow himself up when he tries to escape.

Jack Zander
2010-09-20, 07:56 AM
Good way to kill a boss: Find his escape ship/speeder, plant a bomb in the drivers console, go fight him then watch him blow himself up when he tries to escape.

Car bombs? Who exactly are the heroes again?

Zaydos
2010-09-20, 07:59 AM

I'm not completely sure either. You're heroes, one of the core principles of heroes is: you do not blow up the loot.

JediSoth
2010-09-20, 09:08 AM
It shouldn't be too hard to find the core books at the very least. (And if you're interested in D20 rather than Saga, I have a bunch I'm willing to part with.)

The big pitfall I've seen is adventure design. You have to be very careful, or it can quickly feel like D&D in Space. The Order 66 Podcast has some really good advice in that area; I think most of it you can find in their sub-forum on the D20 Radio Network forums.

Shenanigans
2010-09-20, 03:11 PM
I forgot that evasion and improved evasion are all in one talent now. Thanks for that bit of advice. Although it should be noted that with the build I've proposed you cannot get into the Jedi Knight class until level 9. Taking a level of scout would delay Jedi Knight until level 10. At level 7 you should evaluate if the GM has been using area attacks to try to stop you or throwing hordes of enemies to try to whittle down your defenses. If he hasn't caught on to area attacks yet, go for Jedi Knight and grab Soresu/Shii-Cho before dipping into scout.
I'm on board with Soresu, but personally, I think Ataru is the top choice for any Jedi Knight with a Dex of 14 or better unless they're completely focused on Str.

The J Pizzel
2010-09-20, 03:18 PM
We've been playing SAGA off and on since it came out. I recently just started running Dawn of Defiance. One of my players is going to start a campaign journal. I'll post it if he ever gets to it.

SAGA is by far my favorite system (with my limited knowledge that is). 2nd DND was good. 3.5 was great. 4E is awesome. SAGA is the best of everything.

My personal favorite thing about it is the talent system. Seriously. I've yet to find a player who could not custom make a character exactly the way he wanted it.

Everything about the system is just good. It might have minor bugs, but honestly, the sum of it's parts are amazing.

imp_fireball
2010-09-20, 03:21 PM
Star Wars Saga Edition is pretty good. It's mostly along the same lines as the rest of the D20 line.

Some key differences offhand are: increased starting hit points, consolidated skills, both in number and from skillpoints to trained/untrained, and the addition of a condition track that represents your overall condition so that you're not at "any positive integer for hitpoints means full power".

What's it do about Jedi?

Could you give me a general outline?

My personal favorite thing about it is the talent system. Seriously. I've yet to find a player who could not custom make a character exactly the way he wanted it.

Guess I'll need a Pdf of it.

Optimator
2010-09-20, 04:07 PM
Saga Edition owns. I highly recommend it. It is very well thought out and is easy to pick up, fun to play, and full of options.

Also, not quite sure where the "SAGA" notation comes from. Should be SWSE if anything. That or "Saga". Having all the letters in SAGA capitalized is just strange, as it is not an acronym.

Starbuck_II
2010-09-20, 04:09 PM
What's it do about Jedi?

Jedi aren't batter at the Force than anyone else. Jedi are better at Lightsabers though.

Everyone has to take that Force Talent feat to gain force powers.

Gametime
2010-09-20, 04:27 PM
Also, not quite sure where the "SAGA" notation comes from. Should be SWSE if anything. That or "Saga". Having all the letters in SAGA capitalized is just strange, as it is not an acronym.

It clearly stands for "SAving the Galaxy by overloading it with Acronyms".

Ozreth
2010-09-20, 04:51 PM
So adventures in this game are not meant to play out like d&d? I'm having a hard time imagining how to do it otherwise. Anybody care to elaborate?

Jack Zander
2010-09-20, 08:34 PM
So adventures in this game are not meant to play out like d&d? I'm having a hard time imagining how to do it otherwise. Anybody care to elaborate?

What do you mean, "play out like DnD?"

Loot isn't important as even small amounts of credits get your characters everything they'll ever want (even personal starships).

You are expected and encouraged to multiclass and cherry pick your own class features. As for the actual adventures, the Star Wars Universe has so many adventure opportunities that you can really do any style of adventure you want, even dungeon crawls, without any trouble.

I'm on board with Soresu, but personally, I think Ataru is the top choice for any Jedi Knight with a Dex of 14 or better unless they're completely focused on Str.

Well if you look at the build I posted that we were discussing, it has a negative strength. Also, I am of the opinion that a Jedi should always dump Dex and boost Str instead. It frees up more talents, deals more damage at low levels and a Jedi already has plenty enough defensive options with their force powers and talents that they really don't need Dex at all.

imp_fireball
2010-09-21, 04:36 AM
Jedi aren't batter at the Force than anyone else. Jedi are better at Lightsabers though.

Everyone has to take that Force Talent feat to gain force powers.

Well it is generally implied in starwars universe (at least throughout movies) that every force user happened to start off as a jedi and then either became a dark jedi or eventually ascended to sith with only the good guys remaining as jedi.

Loot isn't important as even small amounts of credits get your characters everything they'll ever want (even personal starships).

Bah, I'd prefer to run games as the price of a starship making sense (otherwise it'd be like owning a car - the space lanes would get rather crowded).

You can either run a business early on and earn billions of credits to purchase a decent out-rigged ship, or adventure a bit first... or go the other route and steal a ship. Which is probably what Han Solo did for all we know (he never was rich; just because he has a ship doesn't mean every player should have one - Han is supposed to be astounding in his own right).

Us. *aims tommy gun*

B-But...

*tommy gun clicks into rock'n'roll position*

Okay, okay.

You are expected and encouraged to multiclass and cherry pick your own class features. As for the actual adventures, the Star Wars Universe has so many adventure opportunities that you can really do any style of adventure you want, even dungeon crawls, without any trouble.

Hey, you can do all that in DnD too! I think a conversion is in order. :smallwink:

Rezby
2010-09-21, 06:01 AM

Adventures play out depending on how your DM/group is. If your DM is very good at math but not so good at making up a story, and your group loves hack n' slash, chances are you're going to be doing a dungeon crawl - IN SPACE! If your group loves to roleplay characters to the max and enjoys good stories, well, I'd say the sky's the limit, but that doesn't really apply here now, does it?

Imp_fireball, well there's also the Zeison Sha [From the Jedi Training Academy sourcebook, page 90] guys who aren't quite friendly with the Jedi order, yet they have a high level of force sensitivity in them since they are descendants of fringe Jedi who left to Yannibar to escape the Jedi/Sith war.

Shenanigans
2010-09-21, 08:30 AM
What do you mean, "play out like DnD?"

Well if you look at the build I posted that we were discussing, it has a negative strength. Also, I am of the opinion that a Jedi should always dump Dex and boost Str instead. It frees up more talents, deals more damage at low levels and a Jedi already has plenty enough defensive options with their force powers and talents that they really don't need Dex at all.
I'll second the point about multi-classing being encouraged, if not nearly required (in order to get the best defense bonuses) Again, it's hard to make a really bad character, but you have options galore, even within base classes. For example, as a Jedi, you can be focused on lightsaber combat, force powers, stealth, or a combination. Even within those categories, you can have many different focuses. Within force powers, you can focus on damage-dealing, lockdown, protection, healing, etc.

Jack, I'm sorry I missed the build earlier. It looks like a lot of fun, if a little brokenly good. I might have to test-build that and run it in a practice encounter. :) Personally, I prefer the Dex-heavy Jedi build. I think Jedi characters especially run into the problem of MAD, so I tried to mitigate that with Weapon Finesse(LS) and Ataru. My Reflex Def is second only to our Mandalorian Armor Specialist, and Deflect and Block (with Soresu) take care of most other things. I am considering a 1-level Scout dip for Evasion. Admittedly, I was blessed with excellent ability score rolls, so that made it all easier.

Gametime
2010-09-21, 11:28 AM
You can either run a business early on and earn billions of credits to purchase a decent out-rigged ship, or adventure a bit first... or go the other route and steal a ship. Which is probably what Han Solo did for all we know (he never was rich; just because he has a ship doesn't mean every player should have one - Han is supposed to be astounding in his own right).

Han actually won the Falcon in a game from Lando. If you believe Lando, this means he did steal it; knowing what we know of Han, it was more likely luck.

Tangent aside, having your characters actually play in such high-stakes gambling games is great for scoundrel campaigns. If they lose, they have a debt to pay off, and if they win, they make a recurring enemy. It's an infallible plot hook!*

*Well, unless they refuse to gamble, but c'mon!

Kylarra
2010-09-21, 11:32 AM
I'm pretty sure in one of the Han books, it points out that they were both cheating, just Han cheated better.

Gametime
2010-09-21, 11:59 AM
Funny. The vibe I always got from the movies was that Han would be a pretty poor cheater; he's not very good at lying or planning ahead, and manages multiple times to avoid death only by sheer luck.

Mordaenor
2010-09-21, 12:29 PM
I still own my copy of the Star Wars D6 Corebook. I had a very brief encounter with the D20 system when it was first released, and I must say, while I like the D20 system in general, I thought the D6 system was better for Star Wars. I like the fact that it did not have Character Classes or Levels in the same sense that most RPG's do and instead allowed the player to use a simple point system to build and develop any concept they so chose, although advancment could be very slow, which might bother some people.

Ignition
2010-09-21, 12:34 PM
I've always wanted to give Saga more of a try than I have, but A) Star Wars as written is no longer my thing, and so I would use the system and kill the fluff in the process, and B) the people that would play Star Wars with me are married to and having children with the WEG d6 system, and reject the heresy that is d20 out of hand without giving it a fair chance.

I only have the core book, none of the supporting stuff. From what you guys have seen of said supporting content, how much of it is worth tracking down, and how much is a gross waste of time? Thanks! :smallbiggrin:

Kylarra
2010-09-21, 12:36 PM
If we're only using movies as source material, then yeah, a lot of the skills people are supposed to have are really just Informed abilities (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/InformedAbility). Notably people like Boba Fett and Mace Windu.

Shenanigans
2010-09-21, 12:40 PM
I've always wanted to give Saga more of a try than I have, but A) Star Wars as written is no longer my thing, and so I would use the system and kill the fluff in the process, and B) the people that would play Star Wars with me are married to and having children with the WEG d6 system, and reject the heresy that is d20 out of hand without giving it a fair chance.

I only have the core book, none of the supporting stuff. From what you guys have seen of said supporting content, how much of it is worth tracking down, and how much is a gross waste of time? Thanks! :smallbiggrin:
I like most of the additional books, particularly KOTOR and Scum & Vilainy, although most of the books have useful and interesting races, feats, talents, etc.

That said, you can run a very good campaign with just the core book.

Optimator
2010-09-21, 02:25 PM
Yeah, to echo what Shenanigans said, the KoTOR book, Scum and Villainy, and the Force Unleashed books have a lot of fun stuff inside for players. All the best and important stuff is in the core book though, so you're in the clear there.