PDA

View Full Version : Age of Worms?

Chambers
2010-09-13, 08:54 PM
I may be running a new home game and was thinking of running the Age of Worms. Is it worth the roughly 5 bucks per pdf from paizo.com?

realbombchu
2010-09-13, 11:31 PM
What kind of adventures do you like? I enjoyed the Age of Worms Adventure Path as a story, but never got to run it as a DM. I hear (and agree) that it's too deadly for new or low-op players though.

Innis Cabal
2010-09-13, 11:57 PM
It'd bloody tough. Kyuss is one mean mofo and I mean it. His Divine Blast ability more or less ended our game after we (A fairly optimized party) dominated the rest of the path. Great story, great adventure. End boss is insane. It's like a good video game really. Totally worth the money because you get more then just the adventure path.

ryzouken
2010-09-14, 12:00 AM
Tis amazing. Can't recommend it enough. Hands down better than most of the AP's I've encountered.

They put a ton of work into it and it shows!

jumpet
2010-09-14, 12:43 AM
Didn't like it. IMO its the very poor cousin of shackled city and savage tides. Story was linear and not very engaging. It was indeed tough at times particularly in the early to mid stages but I wouldn't count that as a fault. There a couple of good modules but personally found the rest too disjointed with not too many threads linking the adventurers (apart from obvious plot hooks). NPCs were cardboard cutout type villains only appearing long enough to die. At times it was a slog too. High level adventures really failed to account for typical high level spells and abilities. The final battle was a major anticlimax, with the big boss dying far too easily.

Mordokai
2010-09-14, 01:10 AM
Tis amazing. Can't recommend it enough. Hands down better than most of the AP's I've encountered.

They put a ton of work into it and it shows!

I've only played first couple of adventures but read the whole thing and I agree with this. And I simply love Diamond Like backdrop article. Makes for such a wonderful town (game wise) with pretty much endless possibilities. I found myself wishing we wouldn't leave quite so soon when we were playing.

BobVosh
2010-09-14, 05:46 AM
I'm halfway through playing it (friend is DMing). Well, halfway in levels (10). Its been amusing, but some of the plot transitions from books seem a little thin. The encounters can be devastating to unoptimized parties, but reasonable op + superior base classes (we played it in PF) made it very manageable.

I like it, and its a lot better as a player than savage tides was that someone above mentioned.

Runestar
2010-09-14, 06:09 AM
The designers evidently took the time and effort to optimise their foes. :smallbiggrin:

Mordokai
2010-09-14, 06:13 AM
I like it, and its a lot better as a player than savage tides was that someone above mentioned.

That is a matter of opinion, of course, but I found both of them well written and full of awesome, at least on paper. Our DM set on the task of converting Savage Tide to 4E (or at least the bigger part of it) and I hope I get to play it soon and tell more of it. But when I read both adventure paths, I had a jolly good fun with them both.

@Innis Cabal: did you guys took measures of weaking Kyuus? Without going too much into it, there are two ways to weaken him significantly and I think it should make that final encounter much easier.

Runestar
2010-09-14, 08:51 AM
I dunno, in a thread on enworld (about a player playtesting the swordsage), they pretty much walked all over him. Kyuss pretty much spent the entire encounter timestopping and spamming harm spells to heal himself, but that really just delayed the inevitable. :smalltongue:

Seriously, how many of you took one look at his statblock and thought "Darn, those excess lvs of sorc and cleric could just as easily have been mystic theurge lvs...) :smallbiggrin:

Telonius
2010-09-14, 08:59 AM
It wasn't particularly enjoyable for me. I love an engaging, over-arching plot. For about the first twelve levels, it didn't seem like any of the adventures were in any way related to each other. It was more of a hack and slash, monster of the week thing. The one recurring villain seemed to show up in places where there wasn't much plot reason for him to be there. (Granted, this could be due to the DM's style - I haven't seen the actual adventure path, so he might have left a lot out).

It did pick up near the end of the adventure path, but getting through those early adventures was like pulling teeth. IMO, Shackled City did a better job of making a proper quest of the whole thing (even if it did a terrible job of giving you challenging foes).