PDA

View Full Version : Mundane Weapon Mods

Gan The Grey
2010-09-14, 02:37 AM
I'm running a low-magic E6 campaign, and I've been looking for ways to spruce up weapons without making them magical. I've come up with a few ideas of my own, but I haven't yet determined how to price them or what the craft DCs and processes will be. So, looking for more ideas, constructive criticism of my current, and a few pricing and crafting rules. Without further ado...

Serrated – Edged weapons only. Serrated weapons never deal less than half damage on unarmored opponents, and deal an additional 1 damage anytime they roll more than half. A serrated weapon reduces the HP of a weapon by 1 for every 5 HP it has. On light blades and light hafted weapons, it reduces the hardness by 2.

Forked – Blades only. Forked blades increase disarm chances by 2. A forked blade reduces the HP of a weapon by 1 for every 5 HP it has. On light blades, it reduces the hardness by 2.

Feathered – Polearms and ??? only. Feathered weapons increase feint chances by 2.

Heavy – Non-polearms and non-light weapons, melee only. Heavy weapons receive a +2 to hit on opponents wearing breastplate or better armor, and +2 to hit on sunder attempts. A heavy weapon has 2 more HP per 5 HP, but suffers a -1 to hit on all non-sunder attacks.

Flexible - Swords and polearms only. Flexible weapons resist disarm and sunder attempts, increasing their defenses against those attacks by 1. Flexible reduces hardness by 1.

Barbed – Arrows, bolts, javelins, darts only. Barbed weapons stick inside unarmored targets until forcibly removed. While still buried in the victim, this prevents them from healing a number of HP equal to one-half the weapon’s max damage. Pulling out the arrow requires a DC 10 Healing check to prevent breaking the tip off in the wound. Unless the healer achieves a 15 or better, pulling out the weapon deals an additional amount of damage equal to its damage die.

Stiletto – Arrows, bolts, javelins, daggers, darts, spear-types only. Stiletto weapons receive a +1 to hit against opponents wearing chain and leather armors.

Practice – Any. Practice weapons always do non-lethal damage, and are generally made of lower quality materials as well. Practice weapons have 2 less hardness per every 5. However, making a practice weapon masterwork nullifies all detriments.

Fearsome – Any. A fearsome weapon is made up in such a way as to make the wielder seem more intimidating. A one-handed or larger fearsome weapon adds a +2 bonus to intimidation checks, with a light weapon only granting a +1. A fearsome weapon weighs 50% more than normal, and has 2 more HP per 5 HP, though light weapons only gain 1 more. A character can only benefit from one fearsome weapon at a time, and the weapon must be visible.

Decorative – Any. A decorative weapon is made up in such a way as to make the wielder look more attractive, charismatic. A one-handed or larger decorative weapon adds a +2 bonus to diplomacy checks, with a light weapon only granting a +1. A decorative weapon weighs 50% more than normal, and has 2 more HP per 5 HP, though light weapons only gain 1 more. A character can only benefit from one decorative weapon at a time, and the weapon must be visible.

Basket Hilt – Blades only. When the user of a blade with a basket hilt uses the Combat Expertise feat or fights defensively or uses a full defense, he receives a +1 deflection modifier to AC.

Weapon HP and hardness are fairly important in my games, as my players and baddies like to sunder things quite often.

Thoughts?

Morph Bark
2010-09-14, 06:14 AM
One issue of Dragon had material like this. Once I am home I could see which it was.

What is a Stiletto weapon supposed to look like?

If Basket Hilt is what is often seen on rapiers in movies, I'd give that a bonus against being disarmed rather than a deflection bonus to AC, as well as limit it to light blades and rapiers (and perhaps longswords and scimitars).

Esser-Z
2010-09-14, 09:39 AM
I note that some magic bonuses work as mundane. The ever boring +1s, keen, wounding...

EdroGrimshell
2010-09-14, 09:50 AM
One issue of Dragon had material like this. Once I am home I could see which it was.

If Basket Hilt is what is often seen on rapiers in movies, I'd give that a bonus against being disarmed rather than a deflection bonus to AC, as well as limit it to light blades and rapiers (and perhaps longswords and scimitars).

Dragon 358 has a feat and weapon/armor mods that work pretty well, my favorite being the deceptive mod to make my elven thinblade look like a cane.

I note that some magic bonuses work as mundane. The ever boring +1s, keen, wounding...

I actually let my players create weapons/armor with these if they have the appropriate feat.

Gan The Grey
2010-09-14, 02:06 PM

A Stiletto weapon has a needle-like tip, initially designed to pierce the metal links in chain armor.

A Basket Hilt was designed to protect the wielder of a sword from thrusting attacks.

Selenir
2010-09-14, 02:21 PM
A Stiletto weapon has a needle-like tip, initially designed to pierce the metal links in chain armor.

A Basket Hilt was designed to protect the wielder of a sword from thrusting attacks.

I'm gonna agree with Gan here. I've done quite a bit of swordfighting with boffer weapons, and while a basket hilt does help a bit against disarming, its primary purpose is to shield my wrist from attacks which slide down the blade of my sword.

You could give it a bonus to resist disarm checks too, if you want.

arguskos
2010-09-14, 02:26 PM
From Arcana Evolved by Monte Cook comes Dire (+2 damage, melee weapons only, +25% weight, +250 gp to cost). There's also a treatment called Devonian that just makes it lighter (don't recall the precise stats, sorry).

Soulblazer87
2010-09-25, 07:30 AM
How about these ones?

Basket Hilt
Weapon Customization - Sword - Hilt
Craft: 24
Weight: -
Cost: 5gp

Custom made hilts are made specifically for the user. They need not be part of a masterwork weapon, but they usually are. A basket hilt wraps comfortably around the user's hand, granting him a +4 bonus to resist disarm attempts.

Liquid Compartment
Weapon Customization - Sword - Hilt
Craft: 30
Cost: 15gp

Liquid compartments feature a small release next to where the thumb would be placed on the weapon. Trigerring this catch causes a compartment exit to open and, if the weapon is held point down, flow down the weapon's length. Doing so is a free action, but it takes time for most items thicker than water to flow down the length of the weapon, meaning that the actual use of the item is a move action, or part of one. Doing so can enhance a weapon with poison or an alchemical substance withour provoking an attack of opportunity, but the compartment only holds room for one dose for medium or lighter weapons, and two for larger, though they would need both doses to be effective. Reloading is a full-round action. You cannot use this with Alchemist's fire because it would catch on fire before flowing down the blade, not to mention it would be impossible to reload since reloading isn't done by switching stoppered vials.

Spike Guard
Weapon Customization - Sword/Axe - Guard
Cost: 30gp

This is a fairly simple customization, borrowing some elements from the basket hilt. It's mostly a thin bar of steel that connects one end of the grip with the other, covering the area where the fingers should be. Spikes or a small axe-like edge is placed over that piece of steel, enabling the user to make attacks even where there would be no way to normally, such as while grappling. The spikes or blade take the enchantments of the main blade. Also, it grants a +1 to resist disarm checks.

Sponge Scabbard
Weapon Customization - Any Weapon - Scabbard
Craft: 18
Cost: 20gp

A rare modification for those not of questionable values, but it is rather popular with adventurers who know of it. By storing a thin layer of sponge and then emptying a vial of poison on it, enables the user to not only poison the weapon as soon as he sheathes it, but also to spend less poison altogether. Each vial of poison may be used twice now.

Fake Gem
Weapon Customization - Any - Pommel
Craft: 25
Cost: 5gp

A fake gem modification is performed on the weapon's centerpiece. It's usually a small gem decoration, but anyone with enough ranks in appraise will notice that it's in fact a fake. The real trick is in the fact that it's detachable and easily replaceable by another gem. A cunning fighter may even store an ioun stone instead.

False Tip
Weapon Customization - Any Weapon - Blade

This is a rare somewhat modification, which can only be used in non-piercing blades. The tip of the blade is in fact a hole that is just large enough to place a small item on it. Be it a vial of alchemist's fire, a thunderstone, a flashbang pellet or something of similar size, using the weapon as a piercing weapon is impossible. Instead, when attacking, the user may try to strike with the tip of the blade as well, bringing the chosen item to bear and activating it hopefully. Such close proximity to the item in question provides a -2 penalty in checks to resist its effects. A piercing only weapon cannot benefit from this improvement, but a slashing/piercing or bludgeoning/piercing can.

Crushing Boss
Weapon Customization - Shield - Outer

The shield's boss is the central spike in the centre, reinforcing the shield. However, some ingenious adventurers have found a way to turn even that to offence. A crushing boss doesn't crush something outside, but rather inside the shield. From the inside of the shield is a small removable plate. The entire boss is in fact on a weak spring, with a small sharp point towards the inside of the shield. That pointed edge is actually aimed towards a small holding place for a small round item. Be it a thunderstone or a flashbang pellet, a shield bash or any hit that is deflected with the shield unless the character wants it will activate the item. Some even made steel rivets move along the shield, not only reinforcing their wooden equipment, but also helping transfer a very shocking charge in the case of bottled lightning.

Shield Compartment
Weapon Customization - Shield - Inner
Craft: 15
Cost: 2gp

A shield compartment is a common customization, so common in fact it's almost standard fare for adventurer-dealing shops. It features a small holding compartment, just big enough to hold a small item like a potion or maybe holy symbol, just within easy reach from the hand, but placed so that the user won't accidentaly hit it. Some have even used pepper dust, thrown to blind their enemies, or even withdrawn and dropped a vial of alchemist's fire for their enemy to step

Spring Bolter
Weapon Customization - Any Weapon - Blade
Weight: 3lbs
Cost: 40gp

The spring bolter is an ingenious customization as rare as it is wanted. It consists of a long, slightly thick metal tube. By coiling a powerful metallic spring, the user can store a single ammunition bolt inside, be it a crossbow bolt or a sling stone (but no arrows). It has a range of 20ft, 20/x2 critical and deals shortbow or sling damage (according to amunition) even though it functions more like a crossbow. It takes some time to get accustomed to it, granting a -2 penalty to attack rolls for the first month of usage due to weight shift. Reloading is a full-round action and impossible with strength lesser than the one listed upon purchase. Using the spring bolter can either be its own attack or be used as part of a standard attack. The spring bolter is considered a matial weapon for terms of weapon broficiency. It can be enchanted separately. Spring bolters are wide enough to use most small alchemical items.

Laminated Blade
Weapon Customization - Sword - Blade
Cost: 600gp

Laminated blades are blades that are made by alternating extremely thin layers of harder and softer material. Doing so not only helps the weapon withstand blows despite being thinner and lighter, but also increases the sharpness by an amazing degree. Double the threat range of the weapon when it deals slashing damage. This effect is similar to Keen and does not stack with it but is otherwise considered to be completely mundane.

Made them some time ago and they are rather usefull. Especially in a low-magic campaign, or if the party lacks craft mages...