PDA

View Full Version : Leadership: Paladin, Mount, NPC class...?

fracas
2010-09-14, 04:09 AM
Playing 3.5, all books available.

I'm leaning heavily toward taking leadership for my Cleric since I just hit 6th level (the other option is Divine Spell Power, which is great but probably not the equivalent of a PC at my level minus 2 following me around.

Unfortunately I don't get to choose my cohort freely. I can either grab the 4th level human Paladin we just rescued or grab an NPC class like Enforcer. I could also take a level 1 class of my choosing, but that seems like a bad option considering how hazardous our environments are - he'd never live long enough to be useful.

So - I know Pallies are kind of a weaksauce class beyond a 2-level dip, but cha to saves and lay on hands are both highly useful, and the 3rd level disease immunity is more valuable than usual considering the heaps of undead we face (and now devils, in the last session).

Paladin looks like my best bet - thoughts on optimizing him? He starts with a good-aligned greatsword and nonmagic fullplate and we can equip him from the group treasury. The good news is that that treasury is just over 30k gp; the bad news is that we still can't buy items over 800gp.

Ability scores: 18 Str, 12 Dex, 16 Con, 12 Int, 13 Wis, 15 Cha. Boost Cha to 16 with lvl 4 point. Sound good?

I'm considering Knight of the Chalice as a PrC but it's late entry and it'd be nice to advance lay on hands if possible. VoP might also be an option and I'd assume it's a better one than usual because of item restrictions.

Note: He worships Pelor as I do, but may be able to get some of the feats for other deities with good reason.

Goals:
-SURVIVABILITY!
-Charge optimization (might be able to convince DM to let me change race to strongheart halfling for halfling outrider if needed, but non-mount charging might be better since I only have 3 feats available) or some other way to push damage output. Leaping charge? Ubercharger stuff (no more than mild cheese)?
-Some kind of supermount with ranger/druid/outrider/devoted tracker stacking?
-Party assistance via healing, flanking, etc

fracas
2010-09-15, 01:20 AM
Current build:

Human

LG Paladin of Pelor 5
Pious Templar 1
Anointed Knight 7
Kensai 5
Pious Templar 3

Feats
H Power Attack
1 Combat Expertise
3 Ancestral Weapon
6 ?

Not sure where to go on feats. Ideas? Build criticisms? Just go DMM instead?