PDA

View Full Version : Ickle Firsties (IC Thread)

dresdor
2010-09-14, 08:58 AM
The Highwaymen, those brave soldiers who keep the roads clear for trade and commerce, have asked for help. To reduce the local goblin population, a bounty has been placed on every pair of goblin ears that is returned to Boris, a Highwayman sergeant at the Headless Horseman, a local tavern. Thinking it might be a good place to start out, you head there hoping to find any helpful information.

Of course, the sooner you head out the better. Everyone knows where the goblin stronghold is, about two miles from the town. Why the guards haven't ever just wiped the place out is a mystery. It seems that now, though, the Highwaymen lack the manpower to deal with such a little threat.

The tavern is a small affair, with a half dozen tables that are all crowded. The fat old barkeep wipes a rusted tankard as if trying to remove the rust with his rag. There is no sign of Boris, or anyone wearing the Highwaymen's crossed sabre badge on their collar.

OOC: You can presume you've agreed to work together already. Saves time muahahaha

Original Post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168099)

OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168371)

Gray Mage
2010-09-14, 09:31 AM
A tall blond man scans the tavern, looking for the Highwaymen. No one of them in sight, this do not bode well. He didn't know much about them, but the seem to be really reckless, letting the stronghold be like that.
"What do you guys think we should do? Try to find the soldiers, find information or go now?"

OOC:Could you post a link to the other thread in the OP in each one? Also, what cleric did you pick?

Raidyn
2010-09-14, 11:00 AM
Mawgrint shrugs off the disapointment when he looks over the tables for a sight of the Highwaymen. Seems they haven't shown up yet. He corrects his pose, pushing shoulders back and chin up, and pulls his Red bandana a pit tighter on his head to conceal his longtiped ears. Allowing his thick black hair to flow down his back in a messy manner. An air of unease can be felt around Mawgrint, he doesn't trust many and doesn't feel comfortable with his Human form. Much rather spending his time in the form of a gray wolf.

"I don't know. We do know where the stronghold is so why not head out now, they will pay for the ears anyway. Its not like they offered to help get them. "

Obrysii
2010-09-14, 11:07 AM
Kyra sat comfortably in a chair near the middle of the tavern, idling moving a fork along the table, looking down at it with an anxious stare. She had long brown hair, greenish-gray eyes, and glasses - altogether, she was not what a 'hottie' but she was definitely in the realm of the cute.

On the table, pecking at a small dish, was a well-maintained raven, which looked about with unnatural intelligence; she had had a bit of an issue with the management, but in the end the bird's ability to speak impressed them, and they allowed it in.

She looked up, subconsciously grabbing a thick book also on the table, and watched the group start to gather up. She smiled gently, stood up, and walked slowly in sandles to the group, her heavy robe flowing behind her.

"Good to see you gentlemen again," she said, as she slowly put the fork in her hand into her traveling bag.

Gamblerjoe
2010-09-14, 02:42 PM
Vaxis has been sitting quietly at the table for several hours now. after finishing his meal and his ale, he just sat and waited for Boris. still no sign. the party he agreed to work with seems competent and motivated. their motivation is particularly evident now that no highwaymen have shown up. it seems they want to head out.

I wonder what could be keeping Boris. The briefing he planned to give us may be important. On the other hand we know how important ridding the kingdom of these goblins is. i think we should give Boris just one more hour.

Gray Mage
2010-09-14, 05:27 PM
Karran will scratch his chin, pondering if they should wait more."I guess waiting for an hour wouldn't hurt..."

Terraspaz
2010-09-14, 11:05 PM
"So I want to end tonight by addressing all the farmers in the room. Gentlemen, take care of your wives. Whether it's stopping a marauding horde from kidnapping her, or just helping with the household chores. Because if you don't, the only action you'll see every day is with a hoe.

Don't forget to tip your waitresses! G'night!"

Stroland came down off the makeshift stage, offering a wave and a warm smile to one of the barmaids nearby. Returning to the sound of mild applause, he sits down with the rest of the group. "Not the best of crowds tonight. Say, Vaxis, as a follower of Pelor, do you ever get tired of people taking you lightly?" Stroland flashes a grin at the cleric across the table.
"We have any leads, yet?"

Raidyn
2010-09-15, 12:21 AM
"Well i guess we could use some more information..."

Mawgrint relaxes a bit as he drops deeper into his chair at the table. Scratching the table with his sharp claw like nails. He engraves the figure of a wolf howling onto the table. Looking up from the table a small smile finds its way to his mouth, mawgrint is pleased with the group he is now a member of. The goblins will die all that faster.

"Stroland where did you learn to play that instrument of your's that well? I rather enjoyed you playing. "

Terraspaz
2010-09-15, 12:43 AM
"Oh, the mandolin's a tricky, elegant instrument. I'd like to make some claim about following in my father's line, or striving to be like my talented sister, but my story's a lot less regal. I mostly learned it through trial and error.

The best stories aren't those inherited from stand or position in life, but those that are earned by effort. And that's what life's all about, right? Leaving a good story.

...Speaking of which, what's your story, anyway? Been meaning to ask you what your stake in this expedition was. What brings you to the goblin-killin' table?

Raidyn
2010-09-15, 04:07 AM
" I wish to not delve on my tale too long for it still burns in my recent memory. Goblins raided and killed my family and i seek vengeance. I came here to find assistance, delighted to find others seeking to exterminate them aswell... Has an hour already past? Im starting to lose my faith in these highwaymen..."

dresdor
2010-09-15, 06:35 AM
"Begin yer pardon, but if you five be an adventurin party, I'm going to have to ask you to leave. Mind I don't have a problem with you per say, just that anytime a party is all together in a tavern, pub, bar, or inn, the dice be rolling. Every six seconds I'm taking the chance of a bar fight breaking out, the guard coming to arrest us all, some evil conspiracy murdering one of my patrons, the whole city being invaded....you understand, don't you?" The barkeep keeps wiping his rusted mug, but looks ready to push you bodily out.

Obrysii
2010-09-15, 06:53 AM
"Every six seconds, eh? Must be a sort of check you're making, eh?" the girl said, smiling and finding herself amusing - she looked around and saw that few others were laughing and she quieted herself, blushing a bit.

"Oh, don't worry, Kyra. I thought it was wonderful!" her Raven said, popping up onto her shoulder, "For someone without a sense of humor!"

"Great, great, I get it," she said - why was her familiar acting up? She shrugged and looked at the other adventurers.

Raidyn
2010-09-15, 07:16 AM
Mawgrint manages a small sympathetic smile. He gets up to walk out the door. He doesn't want any trouble with anyone here.

"Shall we go slaughter some goblins? I feel they have gone undisturbed long enough."

As Mawgrint turns around he widens his smile to expose his wolf like fangs. Soon blood will be spilled and revenge had. He rises the collar on his leather armor and sniffs the air with eagerness and a look of madness in his eyes.

Terraspaz
2010-09-15, 09:55 AM
"Ladies and Gentlemen! I regret to inform you that the Stroland Lowpitch comedy hour will be on a brief hiatus, as myself and these excellent associates of mine are going off to keep you safe from the goblin horde. Don't fear for us - we're trained professionals. You all have an excellent evening! Goodnight Headless Horseman!" Stroland bows with a flourish, and
falls in step right behind Mawgrint, heading outside. We don't even have proper enemies yet, for him to be worried like that. ...But maybe it's best we just head out, anyway. Life rarely rewards sittin' on your butt.

dresdor
2010-09-15, 10:43 AM
"No check, marm, but it is how I roll." The barkeep waves you out.

You find yourself on a fairly empty street, dirt road leading in either direction (East to west). You know the goblin stronghold lies to the north west about two hours away. You could head there directly overland, or you could follow the main road, and leave it at its nearest point, a quarter mile from the goblins. That is where most of the raids happen.

Raidyn
2010-09-15, 11:33 AM
"I have no problem going over the land straight to the goblin stronghold. What do you guys reckon? and if you dont mind id like to continue on with four paws on the ground. "

Mawgrint looks over his shoulders to check no strangers are in sight and then crouches down, all his armor and cloths seem to meld into his skin and for a moment it looks like he is naked until the hair growth kicks in, all the while his body changing shape, where Mawgrint just stood is now a graybacked wolf. Mawgrint wags his tail a bit and looks at his fellow adventures waiting for them to make up their mind on what way to set forth.

Terraspaz
2010-09-15, 01:14 PM
"Though I have no doubts about our strengths and talents, marching into where the enemy normally conducts their ambushes doesn't seem very wise. I much prefer the trap-setting business to the trap-falling-in one.

Let's stray from the main path, and head directly towards the goblin encampment, as Mawgrint suggests. Less likely to be caught with our pants down, and we're already down by one set of pants already." Stroland nudges the newly shaped bear, looking to the others for input.

Obrysii
2010-09-15, 02:49 PM
"I would rather not wade knee-deep into combat - I'm a little too fragile for that!" she said, shifting slightly. For the first time in a while, she really did feel weak - her muscles tensing but not producing the power that the others had.

"I can help - but a good shot with an arrow would do me in really good."

Gamblerjoe
2010-09-15, 04:38 PM
Im just here to help. the sun god obviously wanted us to stop sitting around in that tavern and get moving, so i agree that we should get moving. whoever is best qualified to lead us through the wilderness should lead the way, i will follow and do what i do when the time comes.

not really sure who who the party tracker is, Vaxis looks around. he kind of dove into this 'adventurer' thing head first. his eyes shift from one party member to another and eventually settle on Karran. he musters an expectant grin.

Gray Mage
2010-09-15, 04:39 PM
Karran will shift uneasily, he wasn't used to being so out in the open, he felt vulnerable. He'd rather go through a jungle then the main road. Being ambushed isn't the best plan after all.

"I agree, it's better if we get the surprise. Less risk of they knowing we're headed there too, so we might get them with their pants down. Let's go directly there I say."

Any road we pick, Karran will carefully try to detect any ambushes.
Spot [roll0] (+8 if against goblins)
Listen [roll1] (+8 if against goblins)
Edits: Bad rolls are bad.

Edit: If the party agrees to go directly, Karran will lead them, being silent almost all the way (will talk if conversation is started, so feel free).
OOC: Will I need a survival check?

Terraspaz
2010-09-15, 06:00 PM
"Alrighty team, here's the plan. Karran, seems like you've got the front of this convoy, what with the sharper eyes, and all. Mawgrint, you and I are at his back, should anything jump out and grab him.

Finally, Vaxis, you watch our backs, and make sure nothing sneaks up on us. Also, keep an eye on Kyra, who'll be between us. Keep it close, keep it tight, and we'll be set to go. Also, don't forget the signal if something attacks you." Stroland pauses, takes in a deep breath, and lets out a short, sharp shriek. "I know it's complicated, but try to remember the code. If we're set, let's head out!"

dresdor
2010-09-15, 06:54 PM
OOC: Going to zoom ahead a bit because i'm bored :-p.

IC: The party heads out, traveling overland, led by their ranger. About a mile out of town (and a bout a mile from the goblins), Karran spots something ahead. The forest thins out into a clearing, and he swears he saw something moving. It could be nothing, or it could be a goblin ambush.

the clearing is about 50 feet ahead of you. Around you is semi-dense forest, with trees spaced about seven feet apart, but thinning the closer you get to the clearing.

Gray Mage
2010-09-15, 07:55 PM
Everything was going smoothly, until he saw that shadow. It could be just a trick of his eyes, but he best make sure what it was. He'll slow down to a rest and signal to the rest of the group to do the same, while carefully drawing his bow. "I think I may have seen something, so everyone stay on guard. Try not to draw attention or let them know we've saw them."-he whispers to the rest of the group.

Another spot and listen? [roll0] [roll1]
Both get +2 against goblinoids.
Edit: Now those are some good rolls. :smallsmile:

dresdor
2010-09-15, 08:57 PM
It is hard to make out but you think you hear what sounds like goblin speak coming from the trees at the edge of the clearing. The sounds are coming from the tree limbs about ten feet above the ground.

Raidyn
2010-09-16, 01:31 AM
If possible Mawgrint will try to flank the goblin position.
move silently[roll0]
hide [roll1]
OOC: remember he is in Predator form still.

If flanking is not allowed. Mawgrint will just tail along after Karran on guard.

Obrysii
2010-09-16, 10:09 AM
As they went through the underbrush, Kyra would often snag herself on branches and things, "They did not think about wizards when they made forests!"

She came a stop as they did, and she leaned forward, squinting, trying to make out what was going on.

She heard words.

She understood them.

"Ah - it's a goblin. I speak goblin, you know," she whispered.

Gamblerjoe
2010-09-16, 06:21 PM
Time to prepare then. Looks at Karran, who is the only one holding a weapon. i have a spell that can enhance your weapon, just give me the word when you are ready.

Vaxis casts magic weapon and holds the charge.

Gray Mage
2010-09-16, 06:28 PM
Karran will turn towards Kyra, a big grin in his lips."Knowing what they say would be great. Can you tell if they know were we are?"

Obrysii
2010-09-16, 07:52 PM
The girl leaned forward more, casually placing a hand on Mawgrint's shoulder as if to get a better hearing; with one hand she made a bowl-shape to help hear better.

Listen check: 1d20+1=18 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2690172/)

dresdor
2010-09-16, 10:17 PM
The wizard listens closely and hears the conversation, though it makes little sense.

"I told you its impossible, but you just wont listen."

"Look, the tree is thinner here, it'll be easier to cut through."

"It can't be done, no matter what they say it can't be done, this is a futile effort...."

the voices get quieter, and indistinct.

OOC: will post a map tomorrow, working on getting a decent map making tool. if you have a recommendation let me know in ooc thread, using campaign builder atm.

Obrysii
2010-09-16, 10:20 PM
"They're moving away, talking about cutting down a tree," she said, "Maybe they're out trying to get wood for a fire?"

Terraspaz
2010-09-16, 11:23 PM
Stroland squats down, addressing the party in a hushed voice. "A possibility. But many great travelers have given their lives to the Goddess of 'failing to notice danger.' Karran, Mawgrint, if you both can sneak around and get a better view, we can assess the danger here, and maybe find out just what we're up against."

Gray Mage
2010-09-17, 06:03 AM
Karran will silently nod, and follow Mawgrint with bow in hand and ready to fire at the needed moment.

Hide [roll0]
Move Silently [roll1]
Edit:Maybe I could take 10 instead? :smallsigh:

dresdor
2010-09-17, 03:42 PM
OOC: You can take 10 on move silently but it will take you a long time to circle around the goblins.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm285/tigerus2004/Map.png

Here be the map. The goblins on the map are where you think they are, not necessarily where they are.

Tokens in the center (from top to bottom) are Karran, Stroland, Kyra and Vaxis. The one to the right is Mawgrint (Predator form)

I'll add a numbered grid to make things easier next turn.

Gamblerjoe
2010-09-17, 05:22 PM
Vaxis touches Karran's weapon, then moves behind the nearest tree

hide (take 10): 7
move silent (take 10): 7

Gray Mage
2010-09-17, 05:35 PM
Going to go toward the second tree to the left. (That'd be F8, right?) And wait for everyone else to be in position before firing. I have LoS from there, right?

dresdor
2010-09-17, 06:16 PM
OOC: Initiative Rolls

Karran: 4 +3 =7
Mawgrint: 16 +3 = 19
Stroland: 5+2 = 7
Kyra: 9+6 = 15
Vaxis: 7+1 = 8
Goblins: 8+1 = 9

Combat Order:
*We Are Here*
Mawgrint
Kyra
Goblins
Vaxis
Karran
Stroland

Map:

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm285/tigerus2004/Map2.png

Kyra: You here the goblin voices again; one says "Drop that fish, I think I hear something. Signal Grox."

You hear a strange bird call.

The map is bigger than the picture, and I'm moving the image to stay centered on the action. The legend will change with the map, but a square will keep its number (i.e. F8 will always be F8 but the scale may start at A or C on any given map)

OOC: You can post at any time, whether its your turn or not.

Gray Mage
2010-09-17, 06:18 PM
Would you like us to post in order or not?

Edit:Also it might be a good idea to spoiler the map.

Raidyn
2010-09-17, 09:05 PM
Il move from O17 to F16 all stealthy like and get ready to atk. =>
move silently[roll0]
hide[roll1]

Gamblerjoe
2010-09-17, 11:11 PM
On Vaxis' turn (round 1)
i draw my mace and stay hidden behind the tree. i watch and see how the initial engagement plays out.

Terraspaz
2010-09-17, 11:31 PM
Stroland's first turn
If the enemy's alerted to our presence by my turn:
Standard: Inspire Courage (+1) to all allies
Move: Advance toward enemy, while drawing longsword

If the enemy is not alerted to our presence by my turn:
Move: Advance (taking 10 to move silently) towards enemy, while drawing longsword
Move: Draw Short Sword

Gray Mage
2010-09-18, 08:24 AM
Karran's action
Delaying the turn so I act after Stroland, recieving the +1 bonus.
Going to approax one of them, an uninjured one if possible, so I get within 30 feet so I get point blank bonus if possible.
Attack (1[BAB]+3[dex]+1[Magic Weapon]+1[Courage]+1[point blank]=+7) [roll0]

Damage [roll1]

Obrysii
2010-09-18, 01:00 PM
Kyra reacts with a surprising quickness, loading her crossbow and casting a mystical barrier about herself.

Kyra casts Mage Armor and loads her crossbow.

dresdor
2010-09-18, 01:45 PM
Mawgrint
You sneak forward, and can see several goblins (all of the ones on the map). You don't think they have noticed you, but you hunker down a bit to make sure.

Kyra
You load your crossbow and empower yourself with mage armor. You can't see any of the goblins, but you are sure that you will see action soon.

Goblins
The goblins move forward and fan out (Mawgrint is the only one that can see this). One of them almost trips over the druid, and screams in surprise. Mawgrint can't get a clear shot (movement only no AoO) and the goblin seems to startled to attack.

Vaxis
Vaxis can make out the figure of a small humanoid, that could be a goblin (at H11) approaching. Unsure, and a healer before a warrior, he lays back, waiting until he is needed.

Stroland
You spot a goblin coming up, and rush towards it, all the while making jokes about the puniness of goblins and their inability to hold their bowels when frightened. This seems to inspire your friends, even though it promises messy looting later. Your longsword is in your hand, and you can clearly make out a several goblins (all but E13)

Karran
You spot a goblin walking towards the party, and knock an arrow. Aiming for the heart, you loose, and the goblin falls with an arrow through its chest. There are several more behind that one (you can see all but E13).

Combat Order:
*We Are Here*
Mawgrint
Kyra (Mage Armor: 1 hour)
Goblins (One dead)
Vaxis
Stroland (Inspire Courage +1)
Karran

Map

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm285/tigerus2004/Map3.png

Gray Mage
2010-09-18, 01:54 PM
Karran yells as his arrow drops the goblin, one less to be worried about."Be carefull and don't let one get away or we'll be swimming in gobos before you say TPK." He'll pick another arrow, ready to strike again.

Actions
If one of them tries to run he'll aim for him. If not try to get as close as possible to an unhurt one so point blank bonus apllies.
Attack [roll0] Damage [roll1]+2 from favorite enemy= 6

Gamblerjoe
2010-09-18, 07:03 PM
Vaxis (round 2)
Vaxis moves a little closer to the action and takes cover behind another tree.
double move to M15

Raidyn
2010-09-19, 04:30 AM
Mawgrint (round 2)

I Attack Goblin in Front of me.
Attack BAB1+Str3+courage1= +4 [roll0]
Damage Str3+courage1= +4 [roll1]

And take a 5' step to G16

Obrysii
2010-09-19, 12:33 PM
Kyra steps further forward - the woodland features cracking underneath, and she tried to match up a goblin into the crossbow's sight.

Not sure which token is Kyra, but she moves up so that she can see, and fires a shot -
Attack: 1d20+2=12 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2693284/)
Damage: 1d8=5 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2693285/)

Terraspaz
2010-09-19, 01:02 PM
"Don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes! ...Because we want to change them to the REDS of their eyes!" Stroland rushes in to the nearest goblin, drawing his shortsword into his other hand, and slashes with his longsword.

Move: Advance and draw
Standard: Attack with longsword
[roll0], [roll1]

Edit: Forgot the Inspire courage bonus to both rolls, though it probably won't matter.

Gamblerjoe
2010-09-19, 05:56 PM
"By the gods, if you see whites, run for your lives!"

dresdor
2010-09-20, 12:16 AM
Mawgrint
You bite at the goblin, but the nimble little bugger dives around your jaws.

Kyra
Kyra moves forward (to L13, that's your token). She spots a goblin, and takes aim. She looses her bolt, and it lodges itself against the goblin's leather armor. It doesn't look like it penetrated far enough to hurt the goblin.

Goblins
The goblins seem to rush as one, charging forward towards the nearest party member. Mawgrint finds himself facing two, as does Stroland. One edges in on Karran. When they are this close you can see they wield simple clubs. Stroland nimbly dodges one, only to get hit accross the back by the second. The wound hurts badly, and he wonders about his ribs being broken (4 damage). Karran fairs much better, the goblin doesn't even get close. Mawgrint takes one hit accross the shoulders (6 damage), and a second center on his skull (5 damage). The druid drops to the ground, the world blackening.

Stroland
Stroland's sword comes up as the goblin's club swings in the air nearby. Catching the monster in between two ribs, he can feel the sword go through the creature's lungs, and can feel the heart vibrate the blade. This did give the opening for the thunk across his back, but as the goblin falls off his blade, it almost seems worth it.

Combat Order:
Mawgrint (11 damage, -1hp unconscious and unstable)
Goblins (One dead; all charged last round -2 ac)
Vaxis
Stroland (4 Damage, Inspire Courage +1)
*We Are Here*
Karran

OOC: Didn't do Karran's action as combat has changed a bit with the charge and his was definately based on the gobbos being at range.

Map

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm285/tigerus2004/Map4.png

Gray Mage
2010-09-20, 12:20 AM
I'll five-foot stepp to L10 and fire at the one at J11 as I think that the ones at Mawgrint will ignore him now . I'll use the same rolls if possible.

Obrysii
2010-09-20, 08:12 AM
"Mawgrint!" Kyra cried, before loosing a magical missile at the enemy closest to the druid; she did not want anyone to die.

Magic Missile damage: 1d4+1=4 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2694241/)

Terraspaz
2010-09-20, 08:33 AM
"Unrgh! Don't you know it's improper to strike someone in the back, honorless currs?!

Vaxis! Mawgrint looks really terrible and bad over there! Also, he's been hit by the goblins! can you get to him?!"

ooc: Gonna see what the situation's like on my turn

Raidyn
2010-09-20, 11:03 AM
OOC: I dont get any AoOs ?

dresdor
2010-09-20, 12:50 PM
Ooc: one was a 5 ft step the otherr was a charge so no aoo, sorry

Gray Mage
2010-09-20, 12:55 PM
Ooc: one was a 5 ft step the otherr was a charge so no aoo, sorry

Would you mind if I posted my action for the next round too?

dresdor
2010-09-20, 02:56 PM
Karran
You step to the side and knock your bow. The arrow flies past Stroland's shoulder and plants itself in the goblin's throat.

Mawgrint
Mawgrint lies on the ground, immobile. His spirit looses slightly from his battered body (1 damage, unstable)

Kyra
Kyra focuses on the arcane glyphs in her mind, and forms a bolt of force. It flies from her fingertips and flies into one of the goblin's chest. She can feel the bolt strike the goblin's chest, exploding its heart. It crumples into a pile on the ground.

Goblins
The remaining two goblins press the attack. It is clear that these goblins aren't afraid of even death. That is strange considering the stories about goblins running scared from the Highwaymen. Karran dodges the blow from one goblin. Kyra, mind still focused on the arcane, doesn't even see the goblin charging her. It raises its club menacingly, and brings it down in a blow that will crack her skull. It comes crashing down, and smacks hard against an invisible forcefield.

Combat Order:
Mawgrint (12 damage, -2hp unconscious and unstable)
Goblins (4 dead; One charged last round -2 ac (on K13))
*We Are Here*
Vaxis
Karran

Map

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm285/tigerus2004/Map5.png

Gray Mage
2010-09-20, 03:04 PM
"Ha! Bulleye. Now let's wrap this up quickly for Maw."

If there's one goblin still standing, try to get in range, but 5-feet away so no AoO and fire a third arrow.
Attack [roll0] Damage [roll1]

Gamblerjoe
2010-09-20, 04:14 PM
Vaxis (round 3)

Vaxis puts away his mace, and moves toward Mawgrint while casting a spell.
Move to I16, cast cure light wounds, hold the charge.

Terraspaz
2010-09-20, 05:54 PM
Stroland (Round 3)

"Keep your filthy hands off her, cretin!" Stroland shuffles over to the goblin assailing Kyra, and charges both blades into it.

5-Foot Step to J12
Long Sword: [roll0], [roll1]
Short Sword: [roll2], [roll3]

3 rounds worth of Inspire Courage left

dresdor
2010-09-20, 10:28 PM
Vaxis
(You can reach Mawgrint and cast, so I figured you wanted to).
Vaxis reaches the downed druid, and touches him. With a prayer and a burst of sunlight, the broken bones mend, and he regains consciousness (5 damage healed).

Stroland
Stroland takes a step towards Kyra, and stabs at the goblin that is beating against her magic field. Your longsword deflects his club, and the shortsword cuts out his throat.

Karran
Karran takes a step back and fires, but the arrow flies harmlessly over the goblin's head.

Combat Order:
*We Are Here*
Mawgrint (7 damage, 3 hp)
Goblins (4 dead; One charged last round -2 ac (on K13))
Vaxis
Karran

Map

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm285/tigerus2004/Map6.png

Gray Mage
2010-09-20, 10:33 PM
OOC: I have a question, if I stepped away, why is it next to me?
Karran curses as his arrow flies past the goblin.
[roll0] Damage [roll1]

dresdor
2010-09-21, 10:18 AM
OOC: I have a question, if I stepped away, why is it next to me?
Karran curses as his arrow flies past the goblin.
[roll0] Damage [roll1]

I need to update the map. I actually made an error with Vaxis's movement too now that I think about it, but I'm not going to change that now. I'll shift you over one and reupload that map later today.

Obrysii
2010-09-21, 05:03 PM
Kyra let out a sharp yelp - as her magic armor deflected the blow. She stepped back, reloaded her crossbow, and fired.

Five foot step back, reload, and firing the crossbow.
Attack: 1d20+2=12 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2695777/)
Damage: 1d8=7 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2695780/)

Terraspaz
2010-09-21, 10:57 PM
"Mawgrint, you alright?! You look like you could WOLF down a healing potion!"

ooc: Editted for accuracy

dresdor
2010-09-22, 10:04 PM
Going to have Mawgrint delay to speed things along. (and terraspaz, it's a wolf form, not a bear one)

Mawgrint seems to need a moment to regain himself after being healed.

Kyra steps back and fires, her bolt flying wide.

The goblin, looks around at its dead comrades, and tries to run for it. He makes it into the clearing before Karran pins an arrow in its chest. The clearing is silent, as the dying goblins breath their last.

(and a grand 500xp to each of you, don't spend it all in one place).

Party Status:
Mawgrint (7 damage, 3 hp)
Vaxis
Stroland (4 Damage)
Karran

You are about a mile from the goblin stronghold.

Gray Mage
2010-09-22, 10:09 PM
"Hey, paws, are you ok?"

After making sure Maw is fine, Karran will pick the goblins and spread them in the clearing. Then he will use his dagger to collect the ears and will search them, hoping to find keys or something that will help them in the fort.
Taking 20 on the search for a total of 24.

Terraspaz
2010-09-22, 10:24 PM
"Everybody lick your wounds, and let's get ready to move out pretty quick. If there are any patrols around, they'll either be on their way now, which is bad, or going to get reinforcements to be on their way here, which is worse. Let's give the area a good once over, patch ourselves up, and start makin' tracks."
ooc: What time of day is it?

dresdor
2010-09-23, 11:31 AM
On the bodies of the six goblins, you find a smattering of gold (most on the largest of the goblins), 120gp in all. The denominations are from several different nations, which most likely means that they are from merchants that have been robbed and killed by the goblins.

The goblins also have their wooden clubs, which are largely worthless, and six sets of smelly, half-rotted leather armor that is of small size. They might be worth something, but might not be worth carrying. And of course you have six pairs of ears.

Oddly enough, at the base of the tree where the goblins were overheard is a small red fish.

OOC: It's about eleven am, you were about to stop for lunch when the battle started. You'll probably reach the goblin stronghold in about 20 minutes; an hour if you approach very stealthily.

Obrysii
2010-09-23, 02:19 PM
"I'm out of spells," Kyra said, "Sorry - but I've got my crossbow!"

She would be able to manage with them fine, though, through any undergrowth as it became necessary.

Gray Mage
2010-09-23, 09:18 PM
Karran will distribute the gold equally, but won't collect the clubs or armor as it'd only slow him down. He will try to collect his lost arrow, though."So, should we continue or should we stop for lunch?"

If 2 I get the arrow, if 1 I don't[roll0]

Terraspaz
2010-09-23, 09:51 PM
"We've got the ears, and the treasures that won't weigh us down. Lingering's only gonna lead us into trouble. Let's hit the road towards the goblin camp. Keep an eye for the Highwaymen, or signs of their presence. Knowing where our allies are could prove crucial."

Gamblerjoe
2010-09-23, 10:22 PM
Vaxis spontaneously casts cure light wounds on Mawgrint
[roll0]
Sounds good, lets be on our way.

Gray Mage
2010-09-26, 05:33 PM
"Let's move then."
Karran will remain in the front with his bow ready to strike.
Spot(+2 if goblins) [roll0]
Listen(+2 if goblins)[roll1]
I also took the librty to add th ear in my inventory for now.

dresdor
2010-09-29, 11:14 AM
You thankfully don't meet any more goblins for a while. Suddenly the forest ends in a clearing. The ground seems burnt and ashy, and there are scorched tree stumps all around. In the center of the clearing is a wooden wall surrounding a tall wooden structure. This must be the goblins fortress, though a castle is a more accurate description. Each of the four corners has a high tower, with goblins inside. More goblins patrol the walls, and the gate (which is facing you) has a dozen goblins around it. Occasionally a foursome of goblins mounted on worgs ride past the front gate.

It is clear now why the Highwaymen would be unsuccesful against these goblins, they are too well dug in. It would seem the Highwaymen may be using adventurers to cull the goblins by attrition before seeking to destroy this stronghold by force.

It is the early afternoon.

Obrysii
2010-09-29, 11:30 AM
"I don't think we're gonna win this one, guys," Kyra said in a whisper. She already felt tired - and with her spells expended for the day, she wasn't too useful.

Terraspaz
2010-09-29, 10:45 PM
"Y'know, we got 12 ears, and that's something. Are we content settling with that? Because I know that taking this fortress, just us few, would make us permanent heroes, forever! Downside is, if we're caught, we're dead. So, question is, can we take out all those gobbo's all stealthy like one at a time, or even better, a bunch of 'em at once?" Stroland eyes the team, eyebrows raised.

Gray Mage
2010-09-30, 07:39 AM
"We could try setting some ambushes for the scouting groups, but going inside is plain suicide, me thinks".

Gamblerjoe
2010-09-30, 12:40 PM
My god thats a lot of goblins. the stories i heard do not even do this place justice. If someone were to fall here there would be nothing i could do.

dresdor
2010-10-01, 11:25 AM
As you debate whether it is worth trying to enter, you see a human leading a team of horses hitched to a wagon. He stops in front of the guards, and says something that is well out of earshot. They nod at him, and stand aside. He leads the cart inside the fort. The back of the cart is covered, but you can see boxes and bundles inside. Whether this is tribute, trade, or something very sinister you do not know.

Obrysii
2010-10-02, 03:41 PM
Kyra again leaned forward, trying her hardest to hear what was said - her strong knowledge of languages hopefully helping.

Listen check: 1d20+1=20 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2709691/)
yay.

Gray Mage
2010-10-03, 10:15 AM
"Maybe we can sneak inside one of those carts?"

dresdor
2010-10-03, 10:39 AM
Kyra faintly hears part of the conversation, at least the part the human says, as his voice carries better than the goblins. He said (in goblin of course): "The merchant Hibia brings tribute to the great king Obligug, so that he may be remembered and granted safe passage and trade through the lands of the goblin nation."

That cart is big enough to hide the whole group without much chance of being noticed (the goblins didn't search the other cart). The merchants along the road not far from here may have a cart that could be used, or maybe waiting for this merchant to leave and borrowing his cart.

dresdor
2010-10-19, 10:33 AM
After some time waiting, the merchant wagon is seen at the gate again. Another brief exchange between the merchant and the guards, and the wagon is on its way. However, this time, instead of returning to the road the way it came, the wagon comes right for you, probably to meet up with the rest of the merchant train further along the road. This might be the perfect opportunity to secure a wagon, or the help of the merchant. Or at least to capture and interrogate him as to why he is helping the goblins.

Gamblerjoe
2010-10-19, 11:26 AM
"Alright folks, whatever you decide, im behind you 100%."

Obrysii
2010-10-19, 01:31 PM
"I am out of useful spells, and I'm not real good with the crossbow - no matter how cool it makes me look," Kyra admitted.

Terraspaz
2010-10-19, 10:54 PM
"Knowledge is power, guys, and we really need some power right now. Hide to the side, we'll jump him at once."
OOC:
DM, feel free to roll my hide check

Gray Mage
2010-10-20, 03:15 PM
"Very well then."

Hide[roll0]

Obrysii
2010-10-25, 09:39 AM
"Don't know how well ..." she said, closing her eyes, and trying to hide herself.

...and as it turned out, in spite of her robe and pale skin, the forest seemed very much to look like her ...

Hide: 1d20+2=19 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2738217/)

dresdor
2010-10-25, 11:38 AM
Whether by luck or by chance, the merchant doesn't notice any of you hiding. He drives his wagon right by you. You can let him pass, or try to accost or talk to him (or go back to town, up to you guys; the goblins can wait if you don't want to try to take out a fortress)