PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Burning Down the House

hobbes1020
2010-09-14, 09:44 AM
My players are currently in an encounter inside of a wooden house. The party wizard has chosen to use Scorching Ray against one of the enemies. The enemy happens to be standing with his back to one of the wooden walls of the house. The wizard missed the touch attack with both of his rays. My question is, does this start a fire?

In looking at various spells I noticed that the Fireball spell quite specifically states, "The fireball sets fire to combustibles and damages objects in the area." The Scorching Ray spell doesn't mention anything similar to this so does this mean he is safe using Scorching Ray inside of a wooden house?

Emperor Ing
2010-09-14, 09:45 AM
If the fire spell is meant to catch stuff on fire, it will mention it. In other words, the wooden house has a scorch mark or scorched hole in it.

Esser-Z
2010-09-14, 09:50 AM
It depends. Do you want the house to be on fire, from a GM/narrative perspective? If so, the ray hits a flammable part and it burns.

If not, the fire scorches it but does not set it on fire. Wood doesn't necessarily ignite easily.

I absolutely despise the idea that only fire spells that specifically say they set things on fire actually do so, especially if they player's TRYING to start a fire. It's horribly silly.

hobbes1020
2010-09-14, 09:57 AM
It depends. Do you want the house to be on fire, from a GM/narrative perspective?

It certainly might make for some funny role play later but I don't really need it to burn down. I like the idea and will keep it in mind though. Thanks! :smallsmile:

Esser-Z
2010-09-14, 09:59 AM
It certainly might make for some funny role play later but I don't really need it to burn down. I like the idea and will keep it in mind though. Thanks! :smallsmile:

There's your answer, then. Situations like these aren't a question of rule interpretation, but of what would make the best game. :smallsmile: