PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Knight/Paladin/Hellreaver level 10: help needed

Torvon
2010-09-14, 03:18 PM
Heya!

We're starting with a rather weird planar campaign soon, so I'm going to play a rather weird character!

We start at level 10, and there's so many things to consider that I'm a bit confused. Maybe you can help me out.

Stats:
Strongheart Halfling, Vary Swordknight Variant, Holy Knight AcF.
With 38 point and the +1 and +1 at level 4 and 8 I get to:
16 / 14 / 16 / 13 / 8 / 16
STR for attacks and damage, DEX for AoO and armor, CON for survival, 13INT for weap. expertise, dump WIS since I won't be casting spells anyway (Holy Knight), and CHA for saves and other fancy stuff (like taunt abilities)

Build:
I'm going for a mounted tripper tank build, Paladin4/Knight5/Hellreaver1.
I'm not going for a supermount build, because I don't want to play a mount, I want to play a halfling :) ... supermount leaves the riders crippled like hell, and I don't want that.
Can't find Hellreaver in Heroforge, I'm going to die if I have to do it manually ~_~ ...

Feats:
Feats are going to be Combat Expertise, Imp. Trip, Combat Reflexes, Exot. Weapon Prof.: Spiked Chain, Dodge, Power Attack, Titan-Fighting, Goad, Parrying Shield, Knock-Down and I am also thinking about Mage Slayer, Rob's Gambit, Divine Justice, Deft Opportunist, Standstill, and the Ride-Feats like Ride-by-Attack and Spirited Charge.
And obviously feats to gain proper mounts.

Gear:
It's the first time I make a high level character like that, and our GM gives us 100.000 GP. Now, I have no idea what to do with it. I thought about an animated riding shield, sounds like fun, but I'm not even sure how you calculate it. You should look up the +2 enhancement, see that +2 enhancement is 4000GP, and so that's 4000 GP?
Armor: just some mithral superarmor like mechanus gear, maybe? He's going to ride anyway, so screw the penalties on movement ... how do you calculate mithral prices - I found +9000GP, so would it be armor price + 9000 GP + possible enhancements? I want to have a decent AC as a tank, what would you recommend? I'm also going to give my dude Dex14 to a decent amount of AoOs. So keep that in mind, because that would be a +2 AC in some armors, I guess.
Any other comments on gear would be appreciated. Doesn't have to be supercheese, nothing too broken, just some ideas because there's like billions of items. Thanks :)

Mount:
Huh, no idea. I read all about people recommending that dinosaur with awesome abilities (fleshraker), but that sounds too hilarious .. a knight-paladin riding a dinosaur. ALthough it *is* going to be a rather weird paladin anyway ... was thinking of some medium creature which doesn't die immediately, I'll handle the rest.
Also thinking about the feats. My DM is pretty nice, so as long as it's not too cheesy he'll allow it. Leadership sounds hm. Maybe Wild Cohort + Exalted Companion? Although they look quite squishy, and I can't imagine a Knight with a blinking dog ... any other ideas for my lvl 10 halfling tank?
Also, mounts do not level with me, right? Maybe I convince my DM that I just got a new one around level 10, and then switch it out for another after a couple of levels?

Thanks for your patience reading this, sorry for my rather sloppy English, but I was working 14h today and am pretty tired (and not a native speakers, obviously).

ta-ta
Torvon a.k.a. Eiko

EDIT:
Dragon Cohort looks pretty nice. I'm not sure about the rules, though. DMG says p. 106 that I can attract a cohort of up to my level, but after the comma it says up to my level -2. I don't understand. Dragon Cohort let's me substract 3 from the calculation again. Does that mean with level 10 I can have a 8 mount, but since I can subtract 3, I can have a 11 mount? So according to draconomicon p. 139 that would be Copper (very young) CG 11, Red (wyrmling) CE 11, Silver (wyrmling) LG 11 ?
EDIT again:
d'oh, can't ride dragons because they ones available all are not even medium, right?

Fax Celestis
2010-09-14, 03:21 PM
I can only recommend one mount: giant owl. Giant eagles, giant ravens, hippogriffs, pegasi, and griffons also work, but nothing quite has the same style as a giant owl. Most of them ARE Large, however, so use the Dungeonbred template from Dungeonscape to scale them down to Medium, making them a suitable mount for a halfling.

Torvon
2010-09-16, 04:19 AM
Thanks.

Do you have input on my other questions as well?

Eiko aka Torvon

Person_Man
2010-09-16, 10:13 AM
Knight Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109429) might help you out, especially on the feat and equipment lists, which includes some good mount options. I also suggest dropping the 5th level of Knight, as Vigilant Defender depends on your Knight level to be useful. Similarly, I would dump Dodge, Titan-Fighting, Parrying Shield, Exotic Weapon Proficiency, Divine Justice, and Deft Opportunist, and Stand Still. You have better options.

Also, if you formatted your post more legibly, you might get more replies. Right now it just reads like a wall of text. Here is another way it could have been presented:

Strongheart Halfling Paladin 4/Knight 4/Hellreaver 2

I'm using the Wary Swordknight Variant and Holy Knight Alternate Class Feature, which trade...... for....

Feats: Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, Knock-Down, Combat Reflexes, Power Attack, Mounted Combat, Ride by Attack, Spirited Charge, Mage Slayer.

I have 100,000 gp to spend on equipment, and I'm not sure what to buy.

I'm looking for suggestions, especially about the best way to get a viable mount.

Then if you have additional questions about mithral or whatever, ask them in the thread after your main questions have been addressed.

Torvon
2010-09-16, 10:27 AM
Knight Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109429) might help you out, especially on the feat and equipment lists, which includes some good mount options. I also suggest dropping the 5th level of Knight, as Vigilant Defender depends on your Knight level to be useful. Similarly, I would dump Dodge, Titan-Fighting, Parrying Shield, Exotic Weapon Proficiency, Divine Justice, and Deft Opportunist, and Stand Still. You have better options.

Thank you. The character idea is based upon both your Knight and Shield handbooks.
I will def. drop Dodge and Titan-Fighting, since they are not available for Halfling, and I want to stick to the Wary Swordknight. Divine Justice sounds fun, but there are better options, you're right. Stand Still sounds good for someone who doesn't do a lot of damage, because with level 10 there will be a ton of trip-immune enemies which will otherwise just bypass me.
Also, thanks for the 5th level Knight tip, you're right that there isn't much of a point to raise the tumble DC from 15 to 20.

Also, if you formatted your post more legibly, you might get more replies. Right now it just reads like a wall of text. Here is another way it could have been presented:
D'oh! I put a lot of effort into the formatting actually (sorting my feats, abilities, etc., putting the important stuff in bold letters). It's probably some hereditary flaw :/
I'll try even harder next time, sorry for giving you a hard time.

Thanks so far
Eiko aka Torvon