PDA

View Full Version : "Supernatural" and WoD

randomhero00
2010-09-14, 04:16 PM
Anyone seen the TV show Supernatural? It's pretty good. It really, really reminds me of a world of darkness campaign (with human hunters of course.) But I've never seriously played WoD so I don't know a lot about it. So is it just me or does the show play out like a campaign journal in WoD?

Tyger
2010-09-14, 05:20 PM
That was actually my first thought when we started watching it. I can't remember what the "Hunters" book was called, but the show is a perfect example of the game.

I made a point never to tell my wife that - she gets to watch those two guys, and I get to have a vicarious game experience! Win, win.

The Big Dice
2010-09-14, 08:36 PM
I've thought of doing a similar thing with GURPS a few times. Mostly because I'm not a big WoD fan. And I told my wife that it wold make a great concept for a campaign. She just rolled her eyes and asked if it meant I'd be spending more money on gaming books...

bokodasu
2010-09-14, 08:45 PM
I was in a Supernatural GURPS campaign that just ended recently! The game itself was great, but just... not exactly the right campaign for my group. I'd definitely play it again with people who were more into the investigative roleplay vs. HULK SMASH!

truemane
2010-09-14, 08:49 PM
I've also thought that it played a lot like a game of Hunter: the Reckoning. In fact, my wife getting into the show inspired me to start a PbP Hunter game on another site, whic wound up being by far my best, longest, and most successful PbP game ever.

Lord Vampyre
2010-09-14, 08:51 PM
I've thought of doing a similar thing with GURPS a few times. Mostly because I'm not a big WoD fan. And I told my wife that it wold make a great concept for a campaign. She just rolled her eyes and asked if it meant I'd be spending more money on gaming books...

You know, I get the same response from my wife, and the answer is always, "Yes."

On topic though, I guess I now have a good reason to catch the next episode of Supernatural. I haven't seen it yet, and with all of the disappointments with shows like Kindred, Buffy, Angel, and Charmed I wasn't sure if I wanted to waste the time.

truemane
2010-09-14, 08:57 PM
You know, I get the same response from my wife, and the answer is always, "Yes."

On topic though, I guess I now have a good reason to catch the next episode of Supernatural. I haven't seen it yet, and with all of the disappointments with shows like Kindred, Buffy, Angel, and Charmed I wasn't sure if I wanted to waste the time.

Funny story. I was in a video game store and guy was standing there scanning the racks. Younger guy. A girl came in, carrying a bag from a nearby clothing store, stopped next to him. A moment's pause. She looked at him and said, "Do you REALLY need more games?

He looked at her, another pause. "I always need more games. Do you really need more shirts?"

Her: "I ALWAYS need more shirts. Hey! What about that one?" And started pointing at games.

I applauded inside on behalf of beleaguered men everywhere.

And as for the show, what I've seen of it is okay. Has moments that approach excellence. The interplay between the two main characters is really good, the over-arching meta-plot less so.

randomhero00
2010-09-14, 09:56 PM

I just ordered season 5 on netflix. Hopefully Ill get through it quickly enough before season 6 starts.

Lycan 01
2010-09-15, 01:02 AM
Fun fact: There's a Supernatural RPG. :smallamused:

kyoryu
2010-09-15, 01:07 AM
And as for the show, what I've seen of it is okay. Has moments that approach excellence. The interplay between the two main characters is really good, the over-arching meta-plot less so.

I actually thought the overall plot was done well - there was a clear plot that actually worked from the very first episode. Few shows manage that.

I just ordered season 5 on netflix. Hopefully Ill get through it quickly enough before season 6 starts.

I'm not looking forward to season 6. At all. The story was done with season 5, which is why the original creator bailed on season 6.

Hawriel
2010-09-15, 02:51 AM
Fun fact: There's a Supernatural RPG. :smallamused:

Yep. It uses the Cortex rules. The Cortex system is also used for a Battlestar Galactica and Serenity RPG. Serenity came first then made into a genaric system. The setting books are about the setting and story building with in that setting. They leave the actual core rules to the Cortex system book.

My friends and I played Serenity for afew months. We really banged are heads against it. We just could not have a consistant mechanical experience. It looked good on paiper but at the table it was frustrating.

We usualy failed horably even in situations that where totaly in are faivor and are build should have succeded. The average target numbers where to high for the average of the die rolls. The apposed tests where desided on who rolled what extream high or low.

That said, the setting books and adventures where well written. Sence the setting books are mechanics light you can just use it for a story resorce and use what ever system you want.

I do recomend looking at the Cortex book though. Just to see what they had in mind. Pick it up if you want. It was not that expencive. Maybe my group just missed afew things.

Fallbot
2010-09-15, 04:17 AM
I'm not looking forward to season 6. At all. The story was done with season 5, which is why the original creator bailed on season 6.

If I remember rightly, back at the beginning the creator went as far as saying that five seasons was all he needed to tell the story, and if they made any more it would just be cashing in.

I've also heard they're making an anime, but I'm really hoping that's not true :smallconfused:

The_Admiral
2010-09-15, 05:53 AM
If I remember rightly, back at the beginning the creator went as far as saying that five seasons was all he needed to tell the story, and if they made any more it would just be cashing in.

I've also heard they're making an anime, but I'm really hoping that's not true :smallconfused:

Sadly i think it is:smallmad: