PDA

View Full Version : Bacon Chocolate?

Chambers
2010-09-14, 08:06 PM
I just ate a bacon chocolate bar. Very strange. It chewed like kinda crunchy chocolate, but tasted like bacon!

http://blogs.westword.com/cafesociety/baconbar.jpg

Shas aia Toriia
2010-09-14, 08:08 PM
Sounds delicious. Where can I get some?

Chambers
2010-09-14, 08:09 PM

http://www.vosgeschocolate.com/

20_Sided_Horror
2010-09-14, 08:25 PM
omfgosh that sounds delicious

Dr.Epic
2010-09-14, 08:26 PM
This just blew my mind!

The Orange Zergling
2010-09-14, 08:27 PM
They have chocolate covered bacon at the Minnesota State Fair, too. It is truly a culinary masterpiece. :smallbiggrin:

Marnath
2010-09-14, 08:50 PM
You might want to post this in the current bacon thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167826), they'll probably get a kick out of it.

redcodekevin
2010-09-14, 09:03 PM
what has science done

:smalleek:

Orzel
2010-09-14, 10:28 PM
*ran from another thread*
Did someone say bacon...
and chocolate in...
the same sentence?

Pinnacle
2010-09-14, 10:32 PM
Ah, the perfect birthday gift!

Piggy (http://www.vosgeschocolate.com/product/flying_chocolate_pig/gourmet_bacon_food)!

Sneak
2010-09-14, 11:09 PM
That sounds like a heart attack wrapped in tinfoil. :smallyuk:

Still, all of Vosges' weird stuff is usually pretty good. I like their green tea chocolate, personally, but then again I'm just a sucker for green tea in general.

Moff Chumley
2010-09-14, 11:09 PM
=O

This thread recieves the Chumley Seal of Approval.

Mystic Muse
2010-09-14, 11:11 PM
bacon flavored chocolate? Why?

If I want bacon I want BACON. Not bacon flavored chocolate.

Lycan 01
2010-09-14, 11:35 PM
A few months ago, IIRC, one of my friends made this himself. He fried up some bacon, then dipped/glazed it in molten chocolate. Apparently, he quite enjoyed it.

smellie_hippie
2010-09-15, 05:59 AM

You are correct, it is delicious. I got a small bar from Earth Fare, and plan on buying more in the near future.

Form
2010-09-15, 06:13 AM
It was good? I hadn't expected any meat to combine well with chocolate.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-09-15, 07:35 AM
It was good? I hadn't expected any meat to combine well with chocolate.

If it's crispy, incredibely smokey bacon, I can imagine it. :smallbiggrin:

Chambers
2010-09-15, 08:21 AM
bacon flavored chocolate? Why?

If I want bacon I want BACON. Not bacon flavored chocolate.

It is not bacon flavored chocolate. There are actual pieces and bits of real bacon in the chocolate bar. :smallsmile:

Form
2010-09-15, 08:28 AM
If it's crispy, incredibely smokey bacon, I can imagine it. :smallbiggrin:

Well, maybe, but it's meat with chocolate. It just seems like such a weird combination.

And I really want to try some now. :smallconfused:

Mauve Shirt
2010-09-15, 09:15 AM
Meat with chocolate can be good. I really want to try this now.
I think I'd make the bacon and melt the chocolate myself though. Because if I find it gross, I still have bacon and chocolate to eat separately.

Eldan
2010-09-15, 09:17 AM
Perhaps it's just me, but I think this sounds disgusting.

Of course, I don't even like bacon on it's own very much.

Cyrion
2010-09-15, 09:20 AM
Chocolate and meat can go together quite well. I believe that's a traditional Mayan combo, though as I recall they typically use unsweetened chocolate.

Coidzor
2010-09-15, 10:36 AM
This gives me hope. Hope that someday, someday they'll make peanut-cheese bars... :smallfrown:

Dr.Epic
2010-09-15, 12:05 PM
Hate to say this, but...Simpsons did it.

The Succubus
2010-09-15, 12:21 PM
Of course, I don't even like bacon on it's own very much.

Does....not....compute.....

Kara Kuro
2010-09-15, 12:49 PM
I know the chocolate shop I worked for over the summer (and at the Wisconsin State Fair) offers chocolate dipped bacon. With is FAR more delicious than it should be.

Pyrian
2010-09-15, 12:55 PM
...the chocolate shop I worked for...Every time I think you couldn't possibly rise higher in my esteem, you surprise me yet again. :smallbiggrin:

Don Julio Anejo
2010-09-15, 12:56 PM
Ah yes, сало в шоколадi, Ukraine's main export..

arguskos
2010-09-15, 12:59 PM
Chocolate and meat can go together quite well. I believe that's a traditional Mayan combo, though as I recall they typically use unsweetened chocolate.
Yeah, I know a few chili recipes that use chocolate to flavor it. They don't sound good at first look, but dammit, they're delicious. :smallamused:

RebelRogue
2010-09-15, 01:06 PM
Yeah, I know a few chili recipes that use chocolate to flavor it. They don't sound good at first look, but dammit, they're delicious. :smallamused:
Try it in a good chili con carne (it should be added when to dish is almost finished). Use a good, dark chocolate with a high percentage of cocoa. You're not supposed to use a while lot of it, basically add in small chunks and taste. You just need to be able to taste that it's in there. It really adds a delicious depth to the dish.

You can also buy chocolate with chili in it, which is very good too.

arguskos
2010-09-15, 01:28 PM
Try it in a good chili con carne (it should be added when to dish is almost finished). Use a good, dark chocolate with a high percentage of cocoa. You're not supposed to use a while lot of it, basically add in small chunks and taste. You just need to be able to taste that it's in there. It really adds a delicious depth to the dish.
Precisely.

You can also buy chocolate with chili in it, which is very good too.
This? Less good than previously indicated. Now, if it was chocolate with chili con carne in it, that'd be DELICIOUS. Instead, it is chocolate with actual chili's in it, which was less good than I wanted it to be. Still ok... for certain values of ok anyways. :smallamused:

Coidzor
2010-09-15, 01:41 PM
With is FAR more delicious than it should be.

LIES. Also, typos.

RebelRogue
2010-09-15, 02:48 PM
Now that we're talking about strange chocolate-y food, I remember hearing about some molecular gastronomers who combined dark chocolate with blue cheese and white chocolate with caviar, respectively. I've never tried any of those myself (not all that big on blue cheese, although I do enjoy cooking with milder varieties of gorgonzola, and caviar is just too damn expensive), but they're supposed to create complex tastes which evolve over time.

Project_Mayhem
2010-09-15, 03:34 PM
Nooo, this thread nearly made me chunder ...

Asthix
2010-09-15, 03:35 PM
^^ Woah RebelRogue. That's some serious culinary experimentation.

They have chocolate covered bacon at the Minnesota State Fair, too. It is truly a culinary masterpiece. :smallbiggrin:

Yeah, bacon chocolate bars are so last year here in Minnesota. (though I guess Minnestotans were ninja'd by Ukraine) Still, way better than it should be. The important thing is to never buy it again after the first binge. That way you can say, 'yeah I tried that' in the future without having to look away sheepishly.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-09-15, 03:36 PM
There are now two bacon-related threads on this forum.

I love GitP.

Asthix
2010-09-15, 03:39 PM
I'm tempted to try for a third just on principle, but I can't see any way to NOT have it locked.

Eldan
2010-09-15, 03:40 PM
Does....not....compute.....

Too greasy, if badly done. I get sick.

I can however confirm that both chili chocolate and chocolate and cheese are delicious.

Chambers
2010-09-15, 03:43 PM
There are now two bacon-related threads on this forum.

I love GitP.

In my defense, I didn't know about the first one when I started this. :smallsmile:

RebelRogue
2010-09-15, 03:49 PM
In my defense, I didn't know about the first one when I started this. :smallsmile:
In your defense, IT'S FREAKING BACON!!! :smallbiggrin:

Pinnacle
2010-09-15, 04:16 PM
Ah, the perfect birthday gift!

Piggy (http://www.vosgeschocolate.com/product/flying_chocolate_pig/gourmet_bacon_food)!

$20 shipping for a $7 item? Maybe not such a perfect gift. 'Specially since I'm also sending him something larger that will also have a hefty shipping cost.

Coidzor
2010-09-15, 04:40 PM
Too greasy, if badly done. I get sick.

I can however confirm that both chili chocolate and chocolate and cheese are delicious.

What kind of cheese and what form of combination?

RebelRogue
2010-09-15, 04:50 PM
I've only heard of the blue cheese/dark chocolate one.

arguskos
2010-09-15, 05:25 PM
What kind of cheese and what form of combination?
He may be referring to simply eating chocolate and cheese at the same time, ie. a cheese and fruit plate, but replace the fruit with chocolate. I've seen that before, and can confirm that flavors of cheese and flavors of chocolate combine nicely.

Coidzor
2010-09-15, 05:27 PM
He may be referring to simply eating chocolate and cheese at the same time, ie. a cheese and fruit plate, but replace the fruit with chocolate. I've seen that before, and can confirm that flavors of cheese and flavors of chocolate combine nicely.

Like which ones?

arguskos
2010-09-15, 05:33 PM
Like which ones?
I've had it several times, but can only recall one specific meal.

The cheeses were as follows:
-An edam that I didn't care for.
-A really REALLY great smoked gouda.
-A 3-year aged sharp cheddar.
-A gorgonzola (apparently, this was great, but I hate that crap, so I didn't touch it).
-Something soft I can't remember. I don't think it was a brie, but I might be wrong.

The chocolates:
-A strong dark (something like 94%).
-A lighter dark (more like 80-odd%).
-A rather rich white I didn't like.
-Two different milks, one from Droste (this was in coin shape) and one from... Lindt, I think. The flavors were distinct.
-One bar of Ritter Sport milk with hazelnuts.

My favorite combo was the lighter dark with a slice of the gouda. I also liked the sharp cheddar with a Droste coin. Still, it was a strange thing, but pretty good.

JediSoth
2010-09-23, 11:03 AM
I tried this. I could tell they were using really high-quality bacon in the chocolate (and the chocolate itself was high-quality), but there was a weird after taste.

Still, I don't think the two flavors are inherently incompatible. Salt can enhance the sweetness of many foods (salt will block bitter receptors on the tongue). Chocolate in its purest form is not a sweet flavor, and properly used can enhance a number of dishes.

Personally, my favorite so far is chocolate with chili pepper in it. That stuff is REALLY good.

Christopher K.
2010-09-23, 01:00 PM
Reminds me of the scene in The Simpsons where Homer wants a new treat, and he's praying for it while driving. He takes his hands off the wheel, closes his eyes, and a fudge truck veers to avoid hitting him. Then a man driving a bacon truck shouts "OH FUDGE!" and crashes into the side of the fudge truck. The two trucks explode, and fudge-covered bacon smacks into Homer's windshield.

"Move over, eggs, bacon just got a new best friend!"

Mauve Shirt
2010-09-23, 01:36 PM
You know what's really good? Chocolate with Old Bay in it.

Karoht
2010-09-23, 01:53 PM
A friend of mine starts every day with a healty bowl of Beerios every morning. Beer + Regular Cheerios.
However, he laments that his choice of breakfast doesn't have bacon in it.

I propose, we the greatest product known to the stereotypical 'man.'

Bacon Beer!

Also, Bacon Chocolate does sound decent. I'm going to roll some hot bacon in cocoa powder and see what happens.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-09-23, 01:53 PM
Now that we're talking about strange chocolate-y food, I remember hearing about some molecular gastronomers who combined dark chocolate with blue cheese
...my two favorite foods in this world.

That... that...

*succumbs to craving malnutrition*

Willis888
2010-09-23, 02:06 PM
1) Make chips from that baconchocolate
2) Make cookie dough with the chips
3) Add that cookie dough to ice cream
4) Top with hot fudge and caramel covered bacon bits

Moff Chumley
2010-09-23, 08:25 PM
I'm tempted to try for a third just on principle, but I can't see any way to NOT have it locked.

I hear that, bro. :smallbiggrin:

Karoht
2010-09-23, 08:42 PM
1) Make chips from that baconchocolate
2) Make cookie dough with the chips
3) Add that cookie dough to ice cream
4) Top with hot fudge and caramel covered bacon bits

You forgot the bacon mayo.

Marnath
2010-09-23, 08:59 PM
You forgot the bacon mayo.

He also forgot the fudge brownie, shredded into chunks and sprinkled on top.

Chambers
2010-09-23, 09:07 PM
Personally, my favorite so far is chocolate with chili pepper in it. That stuff is REALLY good.

I've had a different brand's chocolate with chili pepper and I agree that it is really good. In the one I ate the chili pepper was a very subtle aftertaste, which was good. It enhanced the chocolate instead of overpowering it.

enigmatime
2010-09-23, 09:09 PM
At first I was going to say, "Who said what about the Wisconsin State Fair?" but then I saw what you meant. A friend of mine had something like that once except it had actual bacon bits in it. He said that it was pretty gross :P.

dehro
2010-09-24, 07:28 AM
so... wrong...:smalleek::smalleek::smalleek:

it sounds almost as bad as deepfried mars-bars..

I love both bacon and chocolate..but... together????

smellie_hippie
2010-09-24, 07:37 AM
I propose, we the greatest product known to the stereotypical 'man.'

Bacon Beer!

Ahem......

I have made this. :smallwink:

Karoht
2010-09-24, 01:14 PM
Ahem......

I have made this. :smallwink:

WHAAAAAT? You must tell me how!