PDA

View Full Version : ARE YOU READY TO ROCK!? [PrC, PEACH]

strawberryman
2010-09-14, 08:24 PM
I've had this idea on and off, and only just started getting ideas for abilities and such.

Lightning Rocker
http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/734/lightningrocker.jpg

The master of music and storms, the Lightning Rocker is a summoner of thunder, electricity, and face-melting solos that are sure to steal the show.

Hit Die: d4

Requirements
Skills: Perform(string) 9 ranks.
Spells: Must be able to cast a 3rd-level spell with the electricity descriptor.
Feats: Energy Substitution (electricity).
Specials: Bardic Music.
Special: Must have played an instrument in a thunderstorm without shelter for 1 hour.

The Lightning Rocker
Class Skills: Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (local), Knowledge (the planes), Listen, Perform, Profession, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Tumble.
Skill Points per level: 4 + Int modifier.
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|Bardic Music, Lightning Rock|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|Born of the Three Thunders|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+3|
+3|Shock Ballad|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

4th|
+2|
+1|
+4|
+4|Lightning Metamagic|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

5th|
+2|
+1|
+4|
+4|Rockstorm 1/day|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

6th|
+3|
+2|
+5|
+5|Lightning Caster|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

7th|
+3|
+2|
+5|
+5|Improved Shock Ballad|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

8th|
+4|
+2|
+6|
+6|Bolt Jam|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

9th|
+4|
+3|
+6|
+6|Improved Lightning Metamagic|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

10th|
+5|
+3|
+7|
+7|Ixion Riff, Rockstorm 2/day|+1 level of existing spellcasting class[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Lightning Rockers gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Bardic Music: Whenever the character gains a new Lightning Rocker level, they also gain new uses of Bardic Music as if they had also gained a Bard level. They do not gain any of the Bard's new Bardic Music abilities, however.

Lightning Rock (Su)
The Lightning Rocker has an expanded control over electricity magic, using it to greater effect than almost any other. By expending a use of bardic music and making a perform check, the Lightning Rocker gains a damage boost for every die of damage on the next damage-dealing [electricity] spell they cast.

{table=head]Perform Check|Damage Boost
15|+1
25|+2
35|+3
40 or greater|+4[/table]
This is a swift action.

Born Of The Three Thunders: (http://www.realmshelps.org/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Born_Of_The_Three_Thunders) At 2nd level, the Lightning Rocker gains Born of the Three Thunders as a bonus feat.

Shock Ballad (Su)
At 3rd level, the Lightning Rocker can use the power of rock to coat themselves in a layer of lightning that harms those that attack them. By expending a Bardic Music use, whenever creatures attack the Lightning Rocker in melee they take 1d6 points of electricity damage for every two Lightning Rocker levels they possess. This effect lasts for 3 rounds, plus the Lightning Rocker's Charisma modifier.
At 7th level, creatures who strike the Lightning Rocker must also succeed at a Fortitude save (DC10 + Lightning Rocker level + Charisma mod) or be paralyzed for 1 round.

Lightning Metamagic: At 4th level, whenever a lightning rocker uses a metamagic feat with a spell of the [electricity] descriptor, they may ignore one level of spell adjustment (as long as it isn't the Heighten Spell feat). At 9th level, the Lightning Rocker may ignore two levels of spell adjustment when casting spells of the [electricity] descriptor. This ability cannot reduce the spell lower than its original level.

Rockstorm (Sp)
At 5th level, the Lightning Rocker can summon a thunderstorm of rock that strikes foes with bolts of lightning. Once per day, the Lightning Rocker can use Call Lightning Storm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/callLightningStorm.htm) as a spell-like ability with their caster level. By also expending two Bardic Music charges when they use the spell-like ability, all lightning bolts summoned deal d10 damage as if it were outdoors in a stormy area, and deal half sonic damage.
At 10th level, they gain another use of this ability. The Lightning Rocker may apply Lightning Rock to this effect, however it only applies to the lightning bolt they use that round.

Lightning Caster: At 6th level, the Lightning Rocker casts all spells with the [electricity] descriptor at +1 caster level.

Bolt Jam (Sp)
At 8th level, the Lightning Rocker can perform a solo so awesome, they summon a concentrated bolt of electricity that destroys their foes through the power of rock. By spending a Bardic Music charge, the Lightning Rocker can cast Chain Lightning (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/chainLightning.htm) as a spell-like ability. However, their caster level is equal to their Lightning Rocker level.
The Lightning Rocker may apply Lightning Rock to this effect.

Ixion Riff (Su)
At 10th level, the Lightning Rocker can perform their most powerful song of storms, coating the area around them with destructive lightning. Once per day, by expending a spell slot or prepared spell as a full-round action, the Lightning Rocker deals an amount of electricity damage equal to 4d8 times the level of the spell within a 30 foot burst centered on themselves (they are not affected, and they may exclude allies). Creatures caught in the blast are entitled to a Reflex save (DC 20 + Charisma mod) for half damage.
By expending two Bardic Music charges, the damage increases to d10s, and the range increases by 10 feet. Additional Bardic Music uses increase the area of the burst by 5 feet.
The Lightning Rocker may apply Lightning Rock to this effect.

Fingerlessfist
2010-09-15, 02:12 AM
Hell, it's about time somone made a class like this!:smallcool:

Lix Lorn
2010-09-15, 02:38 AM
Have an internet.
Then marry me. ♥♥♥♥♥

Dairun Cates
2010-09-15, 03:13 AM
Hell, it's about time somone made a class like this!:smallcool:

*cough* Right. Because no one's done killing people with the power pure rock yet (http://wiki.pvnrpg.com/index.php?title=Rokinja) and posted it on Giantitp. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7426634&posted=1#post7426634)

Although, that example's not d20, but I think Rock powers have actually been done before in D&D. Of course, the added lightning flavor is actually pretty interesting, and makes it pretty flavorful.

I am a bit confused what the suggested entrance into this class is though. You could go wizard, but you're cross-classing perform. You can go bard, but the bard spell list doesn't have anything lightning based unless we go into splatbooks. So, it seems like the best option is one level of bard and 5 of wizard without splatbooks. Seems a bit awkward. Of course, I think there are lightning spells for bards in later books, but most spells aren't offensive for bards, which leads to kind of a weird disconnect where it can't decide what it's a prestige class for.

Also, Lightning rock may be a bit overpowered. At level 10, a 25 perform isn't too hard to pull off consecutively if you specialized in it and went the bard route. Even with a 10 charisma wizard, you should be pulling it off a little less than half the time. And for that, you're getting 30 extra damage on most offensive lightning spells for a swift action. For a bardic music use, that's pretty ruthless.

All in all, looks pretty good though.

Fingerlessfist
2010-09-15, 03:58 AM
oh...

okay that's doubly embarrassing because I have actually posted in that thread....

Morph Bark
2010-09-15, 03:58 AM
*cough* Right. Because no one's done killing people with the power pure rock yet (http://wiki.pvnrpg.com/index.php?title=Rokinja) and posted it on Giantitp. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7426634&posted=1#post7426634)

Although, that example's not d20, but I think Rock powers have actually been done before in D&D. Of course, the added lightning flavor is actually pretty interesting, and makes it pretty flavorful.

Yeah, I've seen at least two like these on the WotC forums before, but they weren't actually lightning-themed.

I am a bit confused what the suggested entrance into this class is though. You could go wizard, but you're cross-classing perform. You can go bard, but the bard spell list doesn't have anything lightning based unless we go into splatbooks. So, it seems like the best option is one level of bard and 5 of wizard without splatbooks. Seems a bit awkward. Of course, I think there are lightning spells for bards in later books, but most spells aren't offensive for bards, which leads to kind of a weird disconnect where it can't decide what it's a prestige class for.

For this reason, it seems a good idea to make it dual-advance spellcasting, even if it only half-advances bardic casting. Or that if you advance bardic casting, you can get 1 lightning spell from the wizard list every odd level, and if you advance wizard casting you can get music-related spells off the bard list.

Also, Lightning rock may be a bit overpowered. At level 10, a 25 perform isn't too hard to pull off consecutively if you specialized in it and went the bard route. Even with a 10 charisma wizard, you should be pulling it off a little less than half the time. And for that, you're getting 30 extra damage on most offensive lightning spells for a swift action. For a bardic music use, that's pretty ruthless.

Agreed. It would be better if the DCs were 15, 25, 35, etc. Similar to the Archivist's granted bonuses from Dark Knowledge.

Fingerlessfist
2010-09-15, 04:01 AM
oh...

okay that's immensely embarrassing because I have actually posted in that thread....

Lix Lorn
2010-09-15, 04:04 AM
Personally, it just made me think of Dominic Deegan's concert arc.

Bards could use Energy Substitution (Which is a prereq, so no loss) To cast Sound Burst (Electricity).

strawberryman
2010-09-15, 09:53 AM
Have an internet.
Then marry me. ♥♥♥♥♥

I make it a point of not--

Ooh, Lamia. :smallredface:

There's also Krimm's. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10284)

It's supposed to be somewhat vague. You can pair it with almost any spellcasting class as long as they can cast an electricity spell (though that might not be reflected in the prereqs as written, now that I think on it).

Hm, Fair enough!

Lix Lorn
2010-09-15, 10:02 AM
I make it a point of not--

Ooh, Lamia. :smallredface:
Lillend.
(Purrs, curls self around you seductively)

strawberryman
2010-09-15, 10:17 AM
Lillend.
(Purrs, curls self around you seductively)

Right, those.

Either way, snake tail, so works for me. :smalltongue:

Lix Lorn
2010-09-15, 10:19 AM
Huzzah.
(Adds to the harem personnel list)

Back ontopic, it is really nice to have a bard who can do damage. (nodnod) Without hitty sticks.