PDA

View Full Version : Looking for these minis - Whats the best site?

Ozreth
2010-09-15, 02:49 AM
I'm after a handful of miniatures for my upcoming Expedition to Greyhawk game. I've got a few already but still need:

Ulgrek - Male Half-Orc Sorcerer
Wyvern (Large)
Logras - Male Human Sorcerer
Ilzien - Male Imp Familiar
Ghostly Scholar - Male Human Ghost Cleric
1-4 Elder Xorns - Large Outsider (earth)
3 Human Wraith Fighters
4 Undead Horse Skeletons (large)
Therat - Male Tiefling Rogue
2 Hill Giants (large)
4 Goblin Rogues
Advanced Grell - Medium Aberration
Atolamyr - Half orc Ranger/Fighter
Succubus
Mordified Flesh Golem (large)
3-6 Goblin Archers
Half-Fiend Worg
8 Acolytes of Iuz - Human Clerics
2 Gargoyle Zombies
3 Dretches
Kessarin - Male Human Cleric
Tyraniss - young blue dragon (medium)
Vrock - Large something or another
Ascariel the Unanticipated - Male Hezrou Demon
Sir Bluto Sans Pite - Male Mohrg
3 Male Human Monks
Huge ooze
Vyrthoon - Mind Flayer Rogue
kalystys - Female Half Succubus half drow warlock
Mashface - Male fomorian hulking hurler
Purple Worm (Gargantuan)
1 Shambling Mounds
6 Violet Fungi (medium plant)
Lorzag Priest of Iuz - Male hobgob Cleric
Bittertongue - Female Quasit
Vayne - Human Wizard
3 Giant Rutterkins
Avagaozel - Male barbed devil wizard
5 small fey
3 Hook Horrors
Enourmous Yellow Musk Creeper - Gargantuan Plant
2 Huge plant
Shodei - Male Lich Illusionist
Mavaug Dracolisk - Male half black dragon half basilisk
Han-Tan Chun - Male young adult t’ien lung dragon Huge
Island Ape - Dire Ape (Huge)
The Dormant King - Tyrannosaurus (huge)
Male rakshasha
6 Tiefling Rangers
Livashti - Female Lilitu Cleric
Rigby - Male Human Undead
False Iggwilv - Female Human simulacrum wizard
4 catabolignes

Can anybody recommend a good site for cheap, preferably pre painted minis? And if you've got any in your own collection that would represent something above, lemme know!

Hawriel
2010-09-15, 02:52 AM
I love reaper minies.

http://www.reapermini.com/

Ozreth
2010-09-15, 02:55 AM
I love reaper minies.

http://www.reapermini.com/

Yeah Reaper is great. I'll probably end up getting some of the bigger bosses from there, but I was hoping for some cheap, used, pre painted minis for most of the smaller guys.

Tyndmyr
2010-09-15, 07:24 AM
Yeah, that list is gonna cost you. Even shipping alone is gonna add up.

Ebay runs 3-15 a mini for most stuff shipped. It's unlikely you'll find anywhere significantly cheaper. I know lots of GOOD sources, but there's a lack of good, cheap sources, with good reason. Mini reselling is a PITA(I've done it on a decent scale), and shipping will kill you.

I suggest grabbing a bag of glass counters, and using that for the various things you don't yet have minis of while you slowly build your collection.

Ozreth
2010-09-15, 01:21 PM
Yeah, that list is gonna cost you. Even shipping alone is gonna add up.

Ebay runs 3-15 a mini for most stuff shipped. It's unlikely you'll find anywhere significantly cheaper. I know lots of GOOD sources, but there's a lack of good, cheap sources, with good reason. Mini reselling is a PITA(I've done it on a decent scale), and shipping will kill you.

I suggest grabbing a bag of glass counters, and using that for the various things you don't yet have minis of while you slowly build your collection.

Yeah this is the plan. I've got back up ideas for whatever I cant find, and am ok with not finding it all (i dont expect to), just thought I'd start : )

Gonna do a lot of rummaging through local game stores as well of course.

Bagelz
2010-09-15, 01:43 PM
for most of your human/undead/goblinoid i'd check a couple local gaming stores. You can usually pick up commons, and sometimes uncommon dnd minis/mageknight/clix for 1-2 USD each and you just search the bins.

ebay will eat up shipping unless you can get them all from one source.
TrollandToad.com, and coolstuffinc.com has commons for .69-1.80 but large dragons and such can run over 15. shipping will cost by size/weight ect,

The extensive list you have there would probably run over well over $100 reguardless of where you get it, and you might want to look at doubling up (for example you have a succubus and a named half succubus, if they aren't in the same encounter, and you have a bunch of named wizards you may be able to use just 2 or 3 minis for).

Huge "mini's" are also hard to find, and you'd be better to look for toys that match (t-rex for example).

Tyndmyr
2010-09-15, 01:51 PM
Consider looking at other games for models, too. A skeleton is a skeleton pretty much anywhere.

Warhammer fantasy/LOTR is probably the best source. Scale isn't always perfect, so check first, but a LOTR balrog and a balor are basically the same thing anyway, and most humanoids work out well.

Some things, like oozes, can be whipped up by a clever modeller as well. Or, you can just use a chunk of jello. Handy for splitting too. If you keep the map clean, you can even dispose of the corpse in dramatic fashion.

valadil
2010-09-15, 02:20 PM
I like Reaper for specific, individual minis. eBay for bulk monsters. You can get stuff by the pound on eBay, especially if you look for things like Mage Knight.

If you go this route, I recommend getting the glass counters at an arts and crafts store. They're usually a couple bucks a bag there, as opposed to $5/bag at gaming and pet stores (apparently they make for attractive gravel in fish tanks).