PDA

View Full Version : A Changeling Question (3.5)

Ryu_Bonkosi
2010-09-15, 11:26 AM
Changelings have the ability Minor Alter Self (I think that is the name), that allows them to take the shape of a huminoid. Now the question I have is, if a changeling changes into a humanoid that has a flight speed do they gain the flight speed? Or do they just take the physical shape of the creature?

Snake-Aes
2010-09-15, 11:32 AM
No. As said in the descriptions, their shapechange mirrors the spell Disguise Self (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/disguiseSelf.htm).

Ryu_Bonkosi
2010-09-15, 03:29 PM
Ok, but the only reason I was asking is because it's a physical change and if you got wings it would seem to make sense that you get flight. Thanks for the clarification.

Yuki Akuma
2010-09-15, 05:13 PM
Ok, but the only reason I was asking is because it's a physical change and if you got wings it would seem to make sense that you get flight. Thanks for the clarification.

So what? It mirrors Disguise Self, which doesn't grant you any special abilities.

Just because it's an actual physical change doesn't mean anything - the change obviously isn't robust enough to grant flight or swim speeds.

Zhalath
2010-09-15, 08:17 PM
I guess raptorans have an easy time weeding out changeling spies.
"Jump."
"What?"
"Just jump. It's fun. I mean, all raptorans, big or small, can fly."
"Yeah...y'know, I'm just gonna...leave...now..."

Yuki Akuma
2010-09-15, 08:22 PM
Well, no. Not all Raptorans can fly.

Not even close, actually.

DaedalusMkV
2010-09-15, 08:59 PM
Well, no. Not all Raptorans can fly.

Not even close, actually.

They can, however, all glide. Which, coincidentally, Changelings cannot. Getting said suspected spy to jump off of a tall tower would have the desired effect; a Raptoran would be able to glide to the ground unharmed, or even go for a short flight beforehand. The Changeling... Hopefully wouldn't jump.

Dr.Epic
2010-09-15, 09:01 PM
No. As said in the descriptions, their shapechange mirrors the spell Disguise Self (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/disguiseSelf.htm).

I thought it was a +10 bonus to disguise.

Snake-Aes
2010-09-15, 09:09 PM
I thought it was a +10 bonus to disguise.

Which is granted by the spell. Here's the quote:

Minor Change Shape (Su): Changelings have the supernatural ability to alter their appearance as though using a disguise self spell that affects their bodies but not their possessions. This is not an illusory effect but a physical alteration on a changeling's features, color, texture and size, within the limits described by the spell. Changeling can use this at will and the alteration lasts until he changes shape again. When using this ability to create a disguise, a changeling receives a +10 circumstance bonus to disguise checks.
Of course, you can be pedantic and argue that you get both the +10 circumstance and the +10 untyped in the spell description...but i'm fairly sure they didn't plan for changelings to have a +20 to disguise from level 1.

Tetrasodium
2010-09-15, 11:03 PM
cabinet trickster in races of eberron gives you some of the doppelganger stuff, including gaining extraordinary abilities with change shape.

FMArthur
2010-09-15, 11:18 PM
Which is granted by the spell. Here's the quote:

Of course, you can be pedantic and argue that you get both the +10 circumstance and the +10 untyped in the spell description...but i'm fairly sure they didn't plan for changelings to have a +20 to disguise from level 1.

Is there something wrong with this interpretation? I like the idea of not being replaced by a hat.

The White Knight
2010-09-15, 11:24 PM
if you got wings it would seem to make sense that you get flight.

The ostrich would like to have a word with you.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-09-16, 01:11 AM
Is there something wrong with this interpretation? I like the idea of not being replaced by a hat.

I agree. A +20 to disguise, actually makes the changeling stand out from any 1st level wiz/sorc that's running around in disguise.

Esser-Z
2010-09-16, 07:40 AM
Yeah, I'm cool with it.

kamikasei
2010-09-16, 07:54 AM
I agree. A +20 to disguise, actually makes the changeling stand out from any 1st level wiz/sorc that's running around in disguise.
Well, there's the fact that anyone using only the spell looks the part but doesn't feel the part - a changeling can safely shake hands, bump in to people, leave footprints, etc.

Snake-Aes
2010-09-16, 07:56 AM
Well, there's the fact that anyone using only the spell looks the part but doesn't feel the part - a changeling can safely shake hands, bump in to people, leave footprints, etc.

Yup. It's not an illusion, but a shapeshift ( :O ), thus spells made to poke illusions won't work. True seeing does because it works with any shapeshift.

Prime32
2010-09-16, 12:20 PM
Is there something wrong with this interpretation? I like the idea of not being replaced by a hat.You can just wear the hat yourself for the +20 bonus.

Telonius
2010-09-16, 12:44 PM
You can just wear the hat yourself for the +20 bonus.

Or, you can make it look like you're wearing a hat of disguise and totally confuse everyone.

Prime32
2010-09-16, 01:41 PM
Or, you can make it look like you're wearing a hat of disguise and totally confuse everyone.Changelings can't change the appearance of their equipment.

Yuki Akuma
2010-09-16, 01:57 PM
Changelings can't change the appearance of their equipment.

Normal hat + Magic Aura = confused Wizards.

Forged Fury
2010-09-16, 02:05 PM
I tend to agree. I've actually played around with the idea that the bonus only applies to situations when changelings actively try to impersonate a specific person using their Minor Shapechange ability.

If they're just trying to be a Joe Nobody in a crowd, Spot checks automatically fail. If whoever is trying to pick them out of a crowd has seen them immediately before they changed, I'd probably allow a difficult spot check to pick out the clothing (unless it's obvious).

In any event, I'd allow a reasonably high Sense Motive to provide a hunch that the individual is concealing something. In a world with changelings, that might be one of the first guesses a guard may make.

Otherwise, IMO, it seems like a less than stellar racial trait of a race that should be able to walk down the street as whatever race they want to appear with little issue.

Plus, Detect Shapechanger is like a 2nd level spell. If it's that easy for a spellcaster to ID the changeling, at least make it tough for normal people, especially with the way the Disguise skill works.

DM: "Sorry, I secretly rolled a 1 on your Disguise check. With your +10 bonus to disguise and the -2 penalty for being a different race, an average person sees through your disguise by taking 10. Looks like you put your nose on upside down." <Womp, womp, womp>

Telonius
2010-09-16, 02:15 PM
Changelings can't change the appearance of their equipment.

True, but you can make your hair look like a hat, no?

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-09-16, 02:17 PM
True, but you can make your hair look like a hat, no?

I think that's stretching it a bit, don't you?

Holocron Coder
2010-09-16, 02:49 PM
I think that's stretching it a bit, don't you?

Not really (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1dVZ3r83Bo)

Snake-Aes
2010-09-16, 03:36 PM

Except hats are clothing, and changelings can't affect their clothing. It'd be a stretch.

hamishspence
2010-09-16, 03:38 PM
Produce a hairstyle that can be very easily mistaken for a hat if not examined very closely?

Yuki Akuma
2010-09-16, 04:02 PM

Mystique specifically has the power to create clothing.

Changelings do not.

Terazul
2010-09-16, 04:09 PM
Except hats are clothing, and changelings can't affect their clothing. It'd be a stretch.

It's true. Best to spend 500 gp on a Vestment of Many Styles, for all your various disguise needs.

Zhalath
2010-09-16, 08:53 PM
It'd make sense that Changelings get an overall +20 to Disguise. I mean, it's basically how they live their lives. Except for the reality seekers, which I remember from RoEberron.

I'm envisioning a changeling and a doppelganger having a shapeshift-off.

"I can change my entire appearance. You can't."
"I get an additional +10. Mine looks better than yours."

Kelb_Panthera
2010-09-16, 09:20 PM

They could always just adjust their entire head so that it's kinda hat shaped and make their hair look like some cloth or leather.

Holocron Coder
2010-09-17, 06:09 AM
Mystique specifically has the power to create clothing.

Changelings do not.

-sigh-

I was making a point on shapeshifters in general doing it, and trying to make an amusing reference at once. Didn't mean for it to be a solid argument. :smalltongue:

Coidzor
2010-09-17, 02:03 PM
Great, now I'm imagining a Changeling Avaunt Garde artist who uses itself (do they have an innate sex?) as a mobile, fluid canvas.

And then having horrible shuddery body horror at the dadaist ones.

Snake-Aes
2010-09-17, 02:06 PM
Great, now I'm imagining a Changeling Avaunt Garde artist who uses itself (do they have an innate sex?) as a mobile, fluid canvas.

Yes, changelings have a gender in their natural form. However, when they assume another gender, it's functional. A male changeling can disguise as a female and get pregnant. The changeling can also assume no gender or many at the same time. Really, the limit is how deep you go into the ability without squicking yourself.

Yuki Akuma
2010-09-17, 02:09 PM
Changelings are more human than doppelganger, remember - they actually have physical characteristics that can differentiate them from other changelings!

This includes an actual sex.

Prime32
2010-09-17, 02:12 PM
Yes, changelings have a gender in their natural form. However, when they assume another gender, it's functional. A male changeling can disguise as a female and get pregnant. The changeling can also assume no gender or many at the same time. Really, the limit is how deep you go into the ability without squicking yourself.Races of Eberron goes into detail on this. A pregnant changeling is stuck as female until the child is born. It's mentioned that many changelings find this stifling and change their appearance more often to compensate.

Then there's all the jokes about changeling brothels (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DroppedABridgetOnHim). :smalltongue:

Telonius
2010-09-17, 02:15 PM

Hm, that might work as a Performance check for a Bard.

Greenish
2010-09-17, 03:40 PM
Then there's all the jokes about changeling brothels (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DroppedABridgetOnHim). :smalltongue:Jokes? I seem to recall that Sharn - The City of Towers specifically mentioned how well represented Changelings are in the city's red light districts.

Coidzor
2010-09-17, 03:52 PM
Yes, changelings have a gender in their natural form. However, when they assume another gender, it's functional. A male changeling can disguise as a female and get pregnant. The changeling can also assume no gender or many at the same time. Really, the limit is how deep you go into the ability without squicking yourself.

Good thing changing sexes can get all the stuff out of one's body before it can release an egg.

Actually, that raises the question of whether they can control the menstrual cycle or if they start off in a default part of the menstrual cycle when they change and have to stay with the same internal morphology viz the ovarian setup until the cycle starts and releases an egg.

And if they can do that, how much control do they have over their own metabolism? Isn't control over the own metabolism on such a fine level the fluff explanation for why monks can become immune to poison or something? :smallconfused:

x.x My head hurts now.

Greenish
2010-09-17, 04:00 PM
Good thing changing sexes can get all the stuff out of one's body before it can release an egg.

Actually, that raises the question of whether they can control the menstrual cycle or if they start off in a default part of the menstrual cycle when they change and have to stay with the same internal morphology viz the ovarian setup until the cycle starts and releases an egg.Who says changelings menstruate? After all, if you can make major alterations to your physiology within six seconds, having the womb clean shouldn't be a major hurdle.

Also, while monk's disease immunity is Ex, the poison immunity is Su.