PDA

View Full Version : (4e) My Healic...Heals Too Much

DragonBaneDM
2010-09-15, 11:34 AM
Ironic, I know.

I was crunching some numbers around 3 am last night, and I came to realize that a level 30 healing word that heals for 180 on the primary target and 170 on the second is just a little... Superflous.

That's with surges included, of course, but I can post the math later if you want.

I focus on dishing out vulnerability during Paragon Tier, granting saves with Saving Grace/Stream of Life, but I loose my vulnerabiltity gimmicks during Epic Tier. By the time I hit 30, I feel like I'll be way too specialized in healing/granting saving throws and not enough in assisting strikers and debuffing. Any thoughts on how I can keep up with those?

I'll also edit this at a later time to include my feat chains, powrs, equipment, etc. I just wanted to bang this thread out before my next class.

Here's the basis of the build:

Xavion:
Kalashtar Cleric multiclassed Artificer(fluff reasons and PRestorables); Miracle Worker; Saint

Key Feats:

Pacifist Healer
Potent Restorables
Defensive Word
Shielding Word
Mark of Healing
Saving Grace
Beautific Healer
Supreme Healer

I'm only level 6 at the moment, which gives me A LOT of time to work on this build in a test environment. However for those "Build a great level 30 character and we'll do a big dungeon" games I like to play with friends, this is gonna be my boy.

So, how can I specialize less, because unlike damage, it appears that you can go too far with healing.

The Glyphstone
2010-09-15, 12:32 PM
Is it too much? I haven't read the books in detail, but I'm pretty sure I've heard of Epic-grade Solos that deal 100+damage in a single lump to PCs with some of their attacks.

Master_Rahl22
2010-09-15, 12:39 PM
Here is a level 22 Healic that I played with in a game on myth weavers: Gelitari (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=161866)

We had great healing and all kinds of extra saving throws and stuff, so basically we were all free to just go straight for the enemies without worrying about nasty status effects. I know this character was made before PHB3 was out but after Divine Power. I'm not sure which Dragon issues may or may not have been used.

As far as specializing, certainly you don't want healing to be the only thing you can do. Gelitari could grant saves, sometimes outright remove or let us ignore conditions, and debuff enemies/buff allies. An enemy that misses because of a debuff means you won't have to spend a power and a surge to heal the damage from its attack.

Gelitari generally healed around 70-90 at a time, with Supreme Healer letting her do that to two different people a turn. She basically saved our butts in the last fight of that level when we fought dopplegangers of ourselves. Our strikers hurt, and we simply had to take out Evil Gelitari first or watch all of our damage and status conditions get erased when she had her next turn.

DragonBaneDM
2010-09-15, 03:49 PM
Hm... Good point Glyph. I'venever dealt that much damage in my Level 25 campaign, but it might be possible.

Maybe I should run this guy straight through 30 before I decide how much is too much.

And thanks Rahl. I'll use her as a good guide to supplement my current build.

One of my friends, Potion Sale if ya know him, suggested that Saint isn't the best Epic Destiny available. Anyone agree? It seems pretty good with Mark of Healing attached.

Mando Knight
2010-09-15, 05:16 PM
One of my friends, Potion Sale if ya know him, suggested that Saint isn't the best Epic Destiny available. Anyone agree? It seems pretty good with Mark of Healing attached.

Potion Sale would probably argue that Soul of the World is the best ED available, hands down.

Could be true, might not be. Demigod and Chosen are slightly weaker now, but still solid choices. Legendary Sovereign needs multiclassing for (likely to Warlord or Paladin, though both are far more damage-focused than a Pacifist Cleric), but is pretty solid itself.

A Pacifist Cleric's entire schtick is "keep the party healthy." It's almost any other Leader's focus to give damage support and what have you, though most of the Pacifist-compatible powers deal (slightly) better buffs and debuffs than other Leader powers in exchange for direct damage. If turning one surge into four isn't your thing, then Pacifist Cleric isn't, either.

DragonBaneDM
2010-09-16, 01:17 AM
Hahaha, that was literally the FIRST thing out of his mouth when I visited him this morning to talk about this!

Gotcha, gotcha. And it is, I jus kinda hate that my Epic Tier isn't my best tier for powers. Breath of the Stars leaves a lot to be desired as a capstone, namely a lasting effect like Beacon of Hope or Penance of Blood. Seal of Binding is my best Daily in Epic. And cool as perm-stun is, and as awesome as the imagery is, I feel like that sort of badassery is meant for 29.

Hm... I'm thinking maybe the key here is keeping some of my Heroic and Paragon attacks. Does that seem like a good idea with this build?

Nu
2010-09-16, 02:17 AM
Hahaha, that was literally the FIRST thing out of his mouth when I visited him this morning to talk about this!

Gotcha, gotcha. And it is, I jus kinda hate that my Epic Tier isn't my best tier for powers. Breath of the Stars leaves a lot to be desired as a capstone, namely a lasting effect like Beacon of Hope or Penance of Blood. Seal of Binding is my best Daily in Epic. And cool as perm-stun is, and as awesome as the imagery is, I feel like that sort of badassery is meant for 29.

Hm... I'm thinking maybe the key here is keeping some of my Heroic and Paragon attacks. Does that seem like a good idea with this build?

As far as capstones goes, why not take Enforced Surrender? I don't think a Pacifist Cleric needs to heal with every power they take, not when cleric has some really strong control powers that don't deal damage and are thus viable in the hands of a Healic.

DragonBaneDM
2010-09-16, 12:35 PM
That could work! I feel like I might have been underestimating dominate.