PDA

View Full Version : Pepsi or Coke

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-15, 06:18 PM
You read the title, which one do you like better? I prefer Coke myself, but I guess the people who make Pepsi are nicer.

RebelRogue
2010-09-15, 06:28 PM
I only drink sugarfree sodas these days, but after having prefered Coke for the longest of times, I'm now partial to Pepsi.

TSGames
2010-09-15, 06:29 PM
I don't know if this thread violates any forum rules or not....

While I think it over, I'll enjoy a cool, refreshing coke.
http://newtech.aurum3.com/images/coke.jpg

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-09-15, 06:33 PM
Pepsi is too sweet for me. I've always prefered Coke.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-09-15, 06:35 PM
Pepsi is harsher on my mouth, less smooth.
I think it has more carbonation, maybe?

I much prefer Coke.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-09-15, 06:36 PM
Dr. Pepper.

:smallcool:

Djinn_in_Tonic
Coke.

I only drink this sort of beverage in one specific circumstance: Coke goes better with rum. :smallbiggrin:

TheLaughingMan
It's time to buck the trend and pick Pepsi. Go, Pepsi Generation! Go forth and drink sugary liquids with wild abandon!

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-15, 06:37 PM
Dr. Pepper.

How dare you :smalltongue:

Mercenary Pen
2010-09-15, 06:40 PM
To be honest I have no preference in this matter... I more frequently drink Sprite than either of the above.

SDF
2010-09-15, 06:40 PM
Diet Pepsi when I feel like a soda.

Vaynor
2010-09-15, 06:43 PM
Of the two, I prefer Coke. But overall I prefer Dr. Pepper.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-09-15, 06:43 PM
Coke.

I only drink this sort of beverage in one specific circumstance: Coke goes better with rum. :smallbiggrin:

Yes. :smallsmile:

Dr. Pepper.

YES! :smallbiggrin:

RebelRogue
2010-09-15, 06:47 PM
I must say, the I have yet to experience a more hideous beverage than the peppery doctor :smalleek: No offense, but that stuff is vile!

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-09-15, 06:49 PM
I must say, the I have yet to experience a more hideous beverage than the peppery doctor :smalleek: No offense, but that stuff is vile!

But, but, but:smalleek:

It's like, a cross between Coke and root beer!

An awesome cross. :smallcool:

Mordokai
2010-09-15, 06:49 PM
Coke for me as well, all the way. Especially since I found out it mixes greatly with rum.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-09-15, 06:50 PM
I live two hours from the Coke capital of the world and have been through the Coke museum. It's awesome. At the end you can drink all you like. They have flavors from all over the world.

Never EVER try Itallian or Iraqi.

And yes, COKE please.

I love Dr. Pepper more, but Mr. Pibb beat it hands down... until they changed a perfectly good recipe and came up with the not-half-as-good Pibb Xtra. I was seeing red when that happened.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-09-15, 06:51 PM
I love Dr. Pepper more, but Mr. Pibb beat it hands down... until they changed a perfectly good recipe and came up with the not-half-as-good Pibb Xtra. I was seeing red when that happened.

We don't get Mr Pibb in Canada. Or at least, not in Toronto. Dr Pepper has that market cornered.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-09-15, 06:52 PM
We don't get Mr Pibb in Canada. Or at least, not in Toronto. Dr Pepper has that market cornered.
Believe me, it was sooo good. They purposely changed the recipe to be more like Dr. Pepper. WHY?!

It's like, a cross between Coke and root beer!
What the cockadoodle? Does not. I can't even stomach root beer. Dr. Pepper is more fruity. Ain't no fruity in RB. What you drinkin' in Canada?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-09-15, 06:54 PM
What the cockadoodle? Does not. I can't even stomach root beer. Dr. Pepper is more fruity. Ain't no fruity in RB. What you drinkin' in Canada?

What I mean, is it's like Coke, but more extreme. It's how I describe it to my immigrant friends.

Forevernade
2010-09-15, 07:03 PM
Coke for drinking on ice and a hot day.

Pepsi for drinking with whiskey. The syrupy flavour compliments the syrupy whiskey much better than coke. If I have coke and whiskey I feel that the drink is.... Have you ever had something sweet like jam, and then you have orange juice straight afterward, and the jam is sweeter than the juice so the juice doesn't taste right? Yeah.... that is coke and whiskey. The whiskey makes the coke taste un-sweet.

ScottishDragon
2010-09-15, 07:04 PM
There is no question that COKE is the better soda. Tastes soo much better. And diet Coke is even better than Coke itself.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-09-15, 07:09 PM
Pepsi for drinking with whiskey. The syrupy flavour compliments the syrupy whiskey much better than coke. If I have coke and whiskey I feel that the drink is.... Have you ever had something sweet like jam, and then you have orange juice straight afterward, and the jam is sweeter than the juice so the juice doesn't taste right? Yeah.... that is coke and whiskey. The whiskey makes the coke taste un-sweet.

...what a waste of good whiskey. Then again, I'm a whiskey snob, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. :smallbiggrin:

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-15, 07:10 PM
jones soda > pepsi and coke

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-09-15, 07:10 PM
...what a waste of good whiskey. Then again, I'm a whiskey snob, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. :smallbiggrin:

Whiskey is best served straight, imho.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-09-15, 07:11 PM

I have decided that I quite like you and your tastes, Gwyn, even though our mutual contributions to this thread make me wish I still had my bottle of Crown Royale. :smallbiggrin:

Mathis
2010-09-15, 07:15 PM

Straight with a single drop of water in the company of great friends after a big dinner made with love & comradery.

As for coke vs pepsi? Pepsi for going to the movies with salty popcorn. Coke with ice on a hot day.

raitalin
2010-09-15, 07:18 PM
Mountain Dew. I will eat at restaurants simply because they have Mountain Dew.

But of the two, Coke by a long shot. Pepsi seems to leave a film in my mouth.

As far as mixers, here's what I've discovered

Jack Daniels + Barqs Root Beer= Brach's Root Beer Barrels

Vanilla Coke + Mid-range whiskey > Diet Coke + Mid-range whiskey > Coke + Mid-range whiskey. This formula works with Rum as well.

Vodka + Orange Juice + Mountain Dew = Electric Screwdriver

Fresca + OJ = Awesome (vodka optional)

Ravens_cry
2010-09-15, 07:19 PM
Cokes bubbles are harsher, but it's less sweet. Pepsi has smoother, smaller feeling bubbles, but is more sweet.
Personal favourite?
Root Beer. Or, if I can find it, a really strong ginger beer. The kind that feels like it's sand blasting your tonsils.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-09-15, 07:20 PM
Jack Daniels + Barqs Root Beer= Brach's Root Beer Barrels

Sounds interesting. Will remember that one.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-09-15, 07:20 PM
Root Beer.

For some reason, I despise all Root Beer except for one brand: Virgil's Root Beer. That stuff is delicious.

Shas aia Toriia
2010-09-15, 07:25 PM

I much prefer Coke.

Really? It's the complete oppsite with me. I dislike Coke for the same reasons you dislike pepsi.

Pepsi all the way!

Forevernade
2010-09-15, 07:28 PM

OH! I wouldnt waste a GOOD wiskey/scotch by mixing it with pepsi. Only if I buy the big 1L bottle of "no name" brand whiskey for parties.

I love me a good straight scotch. If it's a dry scotch I will have it on ice, if its a sweet one, I will have it straight.

Innis Cabal
2010-09-15, 07:32 PM
Root Beer seems like a wholey American thing honestly. I don't know anyone not from America who likes it

Brother Oni
2010-09-15, 07:37 PM
I prefer Pepsi, but Coke has more caffeine and is usually cheaper.

I once went drinking with a Polish workmate and picked up this tip - drink your spirits neat with no added water or mixers. The stomach just holds it since it's less dilute than your blood, thus it won't enter the bloodstream as quickly and won't get you drunk as much as it should.

Of course, as soon as you have some water, it'll all just enter your bloodstream and the next thing you know, you're waking up on a train platform in the middle of nowhere, hugging a traffic cone... or so I've heard anyway. *Cough*

Katana_Geldar
2010-09-15, 07:38 PM
I love Ginger Beer, but I don't think its the same thing.

As for me, Coke, Vanilla coke! MMMMMMMMMMM.

I need two 600ml bottles when I DM to keep me awake and the vocal chords lubricated.

Robert Blackletter
2010-09-15, 07:43 PM
This.

I have decided that I quite like you and your tastes, Gwyn, even though our mutual contributions to this thread make me wish I still had my bottle of Crown Royale. :smallbiggrin:
But that want to be whiskey not from Scotland (I'll accept Ireland at a push) so :smallyuk: and it not real whiskey

(may be a bigger wiskey snob then you :smalltongue:)

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
I love Ginger Beer, but I don't think its the same thing.

As for me, Coke, Vanilla coke! MMMMMMMMMMM.

I need two 600ml bottles when I DM to keep me awake and the vocal chords lubricated.

Ginger beer is amazing, when it's imported from Jamaica. Best thing to have with an extra-spicy jerk chicken dinner.

Innis Cabal
Giner beer isn't and that seems a distinctly Australian thing, though I being a big fan of ginger think it's wonderful stuff. Root Beer has a heavier taste, and from what I was told by various people from a rather wide range of countries, it tastes like certain cleaning products smell. So they're utterly turned off by it.

Robert Blackletter
2010-09-15, 07:44 PM
Oh and for the O.P an unholy combination of the two

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-09-15, 07:45 PM
This.

But that want to be whiskey not from Scotland (I'll accept Ireland at a push) so :smallyuk: and it not real whiskey

(may be a bigger wiskey snob then you :smalltongue:)

Rye is awesome though! And so is good bourbon. Generic non-scotch whiskey isn't as good though...

Katana_Geldar
2010-09-15, 07:46 PM
Giner beer isn't and that seems a distinctly Australian thing, though I being a big fan of ginger think it's wonderful stuff. Root Beer has a heavier taste, and from what I was told by various people from a rather wide range of countries, it tastes like certain cleaning products smell. So they're utterly turned off by it.

Ginger beer is more English, actually. I love Bundaburg Ginger beer, nice and minty.

Innis Cabal
2010-09-15, 07:47 PM
Ah, the only ginger beer I've seen is from Australia, also Peachey Beer from the same company.

Gullara
2010-09-15, 07:48 PM
Definitely Coca Cola (none of that Coke business)

Pepsi is like a sugar sweet. Coke has a very nice cola-y taste. Ironically I just finished drinking one.

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx135/oots12321/Me/Coke.png
and look insight into the mysterious world of me

Robert Blackletter
2010-09-15, 07:48 PM
Rye is awesome though! And so is good bourbon. Generic non-scotch whiskey isn't as good though...

Bourbon is not whiskey...... but it is good in it own right, and generic non scotch whiskey is evil and should be banned. sadly (or happily depending on your view) i met a friend who owned a lot of expensive whiskeies, and he the ruined the cheap stuff for me.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-09-15, 07:49 PM
Guys! Real ginger beer comes from Jamaica! I'm the only one of my friends who can handle the stuff. It has such an intense flavour?

Maybe you're thinking of Ginger Ale?

Ginger ale is the soft stuff that comes in cans. Ginger Beer is the hardcore stuff that comes in bottles, generally.

Edit: Bourbon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourbon_whiskey) is whiskey. :smallconfused:

arguskos
2010-09-15, 07:50 PM
Between Coke and The Bubbling Concoction of Failure that calls itself "Pepsi", I roll with Coke every time. Specifically, Cherry Coke or Mexican Coke. :smallamused:

Overall sodas, my favorites are as follows:
#3: Mexican Coke. The flavors are just so good, the aftertaste is bitter yet delicious.
#2: Orange Crush. GOD I LOVE THIS SO HARD AUGH I NEED SOME RIGHT NOW *nicks off the the kitchen*
#1: IBC Root Beer, in the bottle, cold. This is pretty much my panacea. I could drink this stuff forever. :smallcool:

EDIT: Ginger beer is good. Ginger ale is better, IMO. Still, each rock.

Dr.Epic
2010-09-15, 07:54 PM
Meh, I guess Pepsi is a little better but that's like asking what color glass do you want (assuming both hold the same amount of liquid). It doesn't really matter that much.

Eon
2010-09-15, 07:55 PM
Mountain Dew! :smallcool:

Coke vs Pepsi... I'll go with either. When I have a choice... flip a coin

Dr.Epic
2010-09-15, 07:56 PM
Coke vs Pepsi... I'll go with either. When I have a choice... flip a coin

Harvey Dent, is that you?

Katana_Geldar
2010-09-15, 07:57 PM
Mountain Dew! :smallcool:

You know it doesn't have caffeine in it outside the US?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-09-15, 07:57 PM

Aww, is that why I was so confused why everyone loved it so much?

Eon
2010-09-15, 07:59 PM
Harvey Dent, is that you?

No :smalltongue:

:smalleek:

*twitch* *twitch*

that's not fun...

Gullara
2010-09-15, 08:02 PM

I was wondering why everyone seemed to like sugar water.

Katana_Geldar
2010-09-15, 08:03 PM
Yeah, I was confused why it was a gamer's drink of choice until I found out that in the US it contained caffeine, as here it's little different to lemon lime solo.

Tirian
2010-09-15, 08:08 PM
I used to prefer Coke to Pepsi. Just so there is no question in my dedication to cola taste, I lived through the New Coke debacle and when I first tasted Classic Coke I announced to everyone around me that it was NOT the same formula as "Old" Coke. Oh, how they laughed at my foolishness, but I. was. right.

And then a handful of years ago I switched to diet cola and couldn't tell the difference.

And then when I switched to diet cherry cola, there was a remarkable and sad story. Diet Cherry Coke is fairly good, but in my area for whatever reason they don't sell it in 2 liter bottles. That leaves me with Cherry Coke Zero, which is an abomination.

Therefore, I am now a dedicated consumer of Diet Cherry Wild Pepsi.

Robert Blackletter
2010-09-15, 08:09 PM
Edit: Bourbon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourbon_whiskey) is whiskey. :smallconfused:

So I've been told, but there no Scotch in it nor any Irish Whiskeys so they are wrong. Hey I told you I'm a whiskey snob!

Mauve Shirt
2010-09-15, 08:11 PM
I am a coke person.

Spiryt
2010-09-15, 08:14 PM
As far as sodas go, I only really drink Kinley Tonic or Schweeps. That's my weakness as far as they go. :smallcool:

deuxhero
2010-09-15, 08:15 PM
Water (orange juice is fine too).

Nevitan
2010-09-15, 08:16 PM
I much prefer Coke. For some reason Pepsi seems a lot like syrup to me when I drink it.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-09-15, 08:17 PM
I just had a scary russian cola. It smelled roughly like rum and coke, and tasted slightly of raisin. Probably cause it had raisins floating in it.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-15, 08:19 PM
I actually like Sprite the best, but it isn't Coke or Pepsi, so my prefrence is void. Out of the two I like Coke (I think I said that already).

Forevernade
2010-09-15, 08:21 PM
:smallfrown: I am so jealous of you americans. I can't wait to do an exchange to america for uni :smalltongue:

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-15, 08:22 PM
:smallfrown: I am so jealous of you americans. I can't wait to do an exchange to america for uni :smalltongue:

Don't they have Coke in Australia?

thubby
2010-09-15, 08:24 PM
from a fountain they are, quite literally, the same exact thing.
pre-packaged, repeated tests have shown that the bulk of the population cant tell the difference.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-15, 08:25 PM
pre-packaged, repeated tests have shown that the bulk of the population cant tell the difference.

Some one did that test for a science project in 8th Grade. 5 out of 30 people could tell in a double-blind test. I was one of them.

Katana_Geldar
2010-09-15, 08:26 PM
Don't they have Coke in Australia?

Of course we do.

Innis Cabal
2010-09-15, 08:28 PM
It just dosn't taste the same as American Coke.

Gullara
2010-09-15, 08:28 PM

Fountain pop isn't real pop anyway.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-15, 08:29 PM
It just dosn't taste the same as American Coke.

Why? No caffine or sugar or something else?

Tirian
2010-09-15, 08:35 PM

Well, now, the fact that some people can differentiate between them would indicate that they are not quite literally the same exact thing. I will grant that perhaps a majority can't tell, and I'd imagine that a larger majority couldn't be bothered to like one and dislike the other (which is just as well since you don't have a choice in virtually all restaurants and even some convenience stores these days), but they are different formulas that are designed to appeal to different demographics (even if they don't in practice).

Zaydos
2010-09-15, 08:35 PM
Fountain pop isn't real pop anyway.

Especially not at a school cafeteria...

That said in the last few years I've started liking pepsi more... I've gotten used to it being watered down though.

Even so Coke is still better, especially the rare times you can get it with real sugar or from a glass bottle. Pepsi Throwback is better than normal Coke, though, and both are better than Mexican Coke (despite Mexican Coke having a real sugar). Cheerwine is better than both, and Doctor Pepper is the king of sodas.

Innis Cabal
2010-09-15, 08:43 PM
Why? No caffine or sugar or something else?

Different water and other factors mostly. The coke and pepsi in London tasted awful.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-15, 08:45 PM
I had Coke in Tokyo and it tasted fine.

Forevernade
2010-09-15, 08:47 PM
I am jealous about America getting caffeine in their mountain dew. MD is one of my fav drinks here, but IT COULD BE BETTER!

Zaydos
2010-09-15, 08:48 PM
I had Coke in Tokyo and it tasted fine.

Japanese coke tastes normal, although I like their melon soda better.

Mauve Shirt
2010-09-15, 08:49 PM
I had some Doctor Pepper made with real sugar the other day, it is EXTREMELY GOOD.

Mando Knight
2010-09-15, 08:52 PM
Coca-Cola by a long shot. If a restaurant serves Pepsi products rather than Coke, I go with Mountain Dew or Mug root beer rather than Pepsi. One of the best days of my Sophomore year at my university is when they replaced one of the three Pepsi soda fountains with a Coke one in the dining hall I frequented most.

Besides, Coke's packaging is chromatically superior (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LawOfChromaticSuperiority).

Elder Tsofu
2010-09-15, 09:13 PM
If they haven't changed the recipes then I'd say Coca cola. Pepsi burned my throat and was all nasty bubbles.

But Jul/Påskmust (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julmust) is the way to go. :smallamused:

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-15, 09:16 PM
If they haven't changed the recipes then I'd say Coca cola. Pepsi burned my throat and was all nasty bubbles.

They changed the recipe BACK though. Right?

Elder Tsofu
2010-09-15, 09:19 PM
I have no clue there, haven't bought a Pepsi for years and years due to my dislike of it. For what I know they might have changed it numerous times without me knowing it. :smalltongue:

RebelRogue
2010-09-15, 09:22 PM
But Jul/Påskmust (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julmust) is the way to go. :smallamused:
I've tried it a few times. Didn't really do it for me. Must be a swedish thing.

AtlanteanTroll
I have no clue there, haven't bought a Pepsi for years and years due to my dislike of it. For what I know they might have changed it numerous times without me knowing it. :smalltongue:

Never mind. I thought we were talking about Coke changing its forumla.

Mando Knight
They changed the recipe BACK though. Right?

New Coke died like half a decade in. Coke Classic has been almost the only "plain" Coca-Cola since the 90s. Some people speculate that New Coke was a publicity stunt to boost classic Coke sales while they quietly made the switch from cane sugar to the cheaper HFCS.

Thajocoth
2010-09-15, 09:28 PM
This partially depends on locale.

I prefer Pepsi by far. It's a lot sweeter while Coke is a lot more acidic. I tried a bunch of different versions of Coke that they make for different places in the world at Epcot (Disney) once though, and they were all REALLY disgusting. So Coke doesn't taste the same everywhere, and Pepsi might not either.

Pepsi Throwback tastes a little better than regular Pepsi.

All in all, I prefer Root Beer.

TheThan
2010-09-15, 09:37 PM
Any soda pop but Coke especially must be served in an ice, ice, ice cold glass bottle. But they don’t sell much soda in glass bottles anymore here in the states. Well ok you can get Mexican coke, which is supposedly made from real sugar kane as opposed to HFCS (that’s high fructose corn syrup). there's also a few other smaller brands floating about too.

Anyway if you can’t get it in bottle form that’s fine, a tall glass (made out of glass obviously) that’s about a quarter to half way filled with ice will do the trick.

Anyway I much prefer Dr. Pepper to coke or pepsi. Although the best soda I’ve ever had was Sioux City Sarsaparilla.

Zevox
2010-09-15, 09:41 PM
Pepsi, though I'll drink whichever is available, as they're not really all that different.

As for other soft drinks, I like the lemon-lime types (Sprite, Sierra Mist, 7-Up) best. I've tried Mountain Dew, and while it's not bad, it's not something I'd pay money for. Haven't tried most other kinds, unless you count some of the oddball flavor combinations that either Pepsi or Coke (I honestly don't remember which) did a while back, and all I remember there is that I liked the caramel one best.

Zevox

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-09-15, 09:49 PM
Never heard of Mexican coke until recently. Must try to find...

Zocelot
2010-09-15, 09:55 PM
Definitely coke. Not only is it great by itself, I am of the opinion that every non-dairy drink is better when mixed with coke.

Normally, it's made with high fructose corn syrup, but around around the Jewish holiday of Passover, Coke releases a type of coke made from refined sugar, which is EVEN BETTER! I hoard it for special occasions.

Mando Knight
2010-09-15, 10:09 PM
Normally, it's made with high fructose corn syrup, but around around the Jewish holiday of Passover, Coke releases a type of coke made from refined sugar, which is EVEN BETTER! I hoard it for special occasions.

*Note to self: find an international goods store or a fairly heavily-Jewish neighborhood. Then hoard refined-sugar Coke during Passover.*

Silly Wizard
2010-09-15, 10:49 PM
Coca Cola, if we are talking about the cola drinks. If we're talking about which company we prefer, I like Pepsi better (<3 Mountain Dew).

Since we're on the subject of soda products, what is Dr. Pepper? Wikipedia says it's Dr Pepper Snapple Group, but everywhere I go serves Dr. Pepper with Pepsi products.

TSGames
2010-09-15, 10:51 PM
Coca Cola, if we are talking about the cola drinks. If we're talking about which company we prefer...

Wow, I totally didn't see that post going in that direction....

Mando Knight
2010-09-15, 10:52 PM
Since we're on the subject of soda products, what is Dr. Pepper? Wikipedia says it's Dr Pepper Snapple Group, but everywhere I go serves Dr. Pepper with Pepsi products.

Dr. Pepper is an independent group, but it's often served alongside Pepsi products since Pepsi has no Dr. Pepper clone/derivative/improvement/whathaveyou, unlike Coke and their Mr. Pibb.

Zain
2010-09-15, 11:04 PM
I prefer Pepsi, mainly because that was the only one my mom would let me drink for some reason, as for what that reason is, I have no idea. :smallconfused:

thubby
2010-09-15, 11:25 PM

Dr pepper may or may-not be bottled by pepsi in your area.
around here, all the Dr pepper is bottled at a relatively nearby coke... plant? :smallconfused:

golentan
2010-09-15, 11:40 PM
Pepsi tastes spicier and more interesting to me.

Also, I did a science fair project as a kid involving different beverages, concentrations, and plants. And Coke killed more radishes then pepsi, though cola in general was one of the worst offenders.

Serpentine
2010-09-15, 11:46 PM
Neither, they're both foul.
That was easy :smallcool:
I've only tasted Dr Pepper once, years ago, and it was the nastiest thing I'd ever tasted. I don't really drink much soft drink anyway, though - I've been slowly going off one at a time over the years. Now the only ones I can stand are "fire engines", lemon squash and other "5% lemon juice" drinks, and some fancy ones (blood orange soft drink, for example). Even then, I almost always much prefer a real juice, chocolate milk or a plain ol' water.

Gullara
2010-09-16, 12:42 AM
Pepsi tastes spicier and more interesting to me.

Also, I did a science fair project as a kid involving different beverages, concentrations, and plants. And Coke killed more radishes then pepsi, though cola in general was one of the worst offenders.

That's what makes it delicious.

Coidzor
2010-09-16, 12:53 AM
My immediate family partakes of Pepsi, but my extended family are primarily Coke consumers. So I've had a fair bit of exposure to both. As far as I can tell, Coke really is the superior mixer for rum, though I haven't exactly had the inclination or resources for any kind of rigorous testing.

Still, just having it by itself, I'll generally prefer a pepsi due to the carbonation of coke making me want to let it set for a minute before I start drinking it usually.

I much prefer Coke.

:smallconfused: You... you have the opposite reaction to the two than everyone I've ever discussed this with before.

That's two people now.

The syrupy flavour compliments the syrupy whiskey much better than coke. If I have coke and whiskey I feel that the drink is.... Have you ever had something sweet like jam, and then you have orange juice straight afterward, and the jam is sweeter than the juice so the juice doesn't taste right? Yeah.... that is coke and whiskey. The whiskey makes the coke taste un-sweet.

Syrupy Whiskey? What?! :smallconfused: Are you saying that the whiskey is sweeter than the coke? What kind of whiskey are you drinking?

factotum
2010-09-16, 01:31 AM
Speaking personally, Dr. Pepper is better than either, but given a choice, I would drink Coke if the full sugar variety, and Pepsi Max for diet.

X2
2010-09-16, 02:05 AM
Pepsi but it's very close.

Malfunctioned
2010-09-16, 02:22 AM
I prefer Pepsi. It's always tasted a lot more.... caramelly?....to me. Of course the Passover Coke is incredible anyway. :smallbiggrin:

Kneenibble
2010-09-16, 02:27 AM
Ugh, between the two I'll take Pepsi because coke makes my nose bleed and small bugs crawl on me.badumch.

ghost_warlock
2010-09-16, 02:47 AM
How I get through those long nights at work when I've had far too little sleep:
http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq339/ghost_warlock/pepsi.jpg

(Coke tends to give me stomach aches. Cherry Coke seems not to have this issue, though. :smallconfused:)

MoelVermillion
2010-09-16, 02:49 AM
Hmmm... Cherry Coke or Dr. Pepper are my prefferences. I guess if we're talking strictly Coke or Pepsi though I'll go with the Coke due to more bad experiences with Pepsi (if you laugh while drinking Pepsi it comes out of your nose and then you get this sugary mucousy gunk that runs down into your throat and tastes horrible, Coke probably does the same thing but I've never experienced it, hurray for too much information!).

Mercenary Pen
2010-09-16, 05:15 AM
For all the people talking about different sweeteners in different varieties of Coke/Pepsi, I think in the UK we end up with Aspartame or similar being used to sweeten both...

Orzel
2010-09-16, 05:47 AM
Coke if I'm gonna go cola but I prefer...

Orange Soda.
Who loves Orange soda?

banjo1985
2010-09-16, 05:52 AM
Kel loves Orange Soda!

...sorry, not sure what came over me. :smalleek:

Diet Pepsi for me, its a slightly less sickly marzipan-y taste than Cola, and the sugar-free versions taste nicer. I don't drink full-sugar versions if I can help it.

Archonic Energy
2010-09-16, 06:06 AM
I prefer Nuka-Cola
i especially like the Quantum brand...
mmmmmmm. radioactive. :smalltongue:

Coke.

Thajocoth
2010-09-16, 06:11 AM
I prefer Nuka-Cola
i especially like the Quantum brand...
mmmmmmm. radioactive. :smalltongue:

They could probably put a glowstick or something in the bottle, add more sugar (or equivalent) and sell Nuka-Cola Quantums. It'd be good promotionally. I'd try one. I doubt they could recolor your pee so easily, but it doesn't have to be identical.

Shpadoinkle
2010-09-16, 06:18 AM
Of the two, I'll take Pepsi over Coke any day. Coke is okay, I guess, but it makes my teeth feel funny.

Given a choice of any soda I'm familiar with, though, I'd much rather have a Dr Pepper.

Skeppio
2010-09-16, 06:37 AM
Pepsi any day. I've always found it to be much smoother and milder than Coke. Not to say I dislike Coke, just that I prefer Pepsi. In any case, I'd rather a nice lemon-lime drink over the both of them. :smallsmile:

Serpentine
2010-09-16, 06:39 AM
Ah yes, lemon lime and bitters is my soft drink of choice.

Coidzor
2010-09-16, 06:46 AM
Ah yes, lemon lime and bitters is my soft drink of choice.

Angostura?

Serpentine
2010-09-16, 06:49 AM
Is there any other?

No, really, is there any other bitters you can buy?

Coidzor
2010-09-16, 06:56 AM
Is there any other?

No, really, is there any other bitters you can buy?

Err, I believe so. Some of which actually contain angostura rather than being named for the town. Though the one named for the town is the most famous. Not sure about availability or anything, or whether you'd consider things like orange bitters to be bitters or a separate class of orange bitters.

The Big Dice
2010-09-16, 12:34 PM
I gotta say Pepsi. Coke is too thick and the wrong kind of sweet. Pepsi is yummy and has that caramel aftertaste.

Also, people who either can't tell the difference or just don't care coonfuse me.

Thorcrest
2010-09-16, 12:57 PM
Dr Pepper<Pepsi<Coke<Root Beer<Rolay Crown Cola :smalltongue:

RC Cola all the way!

It has oddly been excluded... so I felt like I had to put it in!

Also, wierdest pop I've had is Spruce Beer... got it in Quebec, that's in Canada for anyone not aware. It tasted like pine trees... I oddly found it quite appealing:smallconfused: no one else did

Joran
2010-09-16, 01:47 PM
I love Cherry Coke Zero. In general, I like the Coke Zero products better than the Diet versions. I swore off the sugary stuff years ago.

My workplace gives us free soda. Recently, we switched from Coke to Pepsi. There was a near riot, which abated after a stern message from our manager that "people should keep in mind that it is FREE".

nihilism
2010-09-16, 10:21 PM
i only really drink obscure stuff from organic stores except the cola stuff is all disgusting.

as for regular all american soda, pepsi over coke any day. doctor pepper is an abomination.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-09-17, 03:44 PM
Sketchy-cola! :smallcool: President's Choice brand cola. I've never had it, because it looks so sketchy.

Also: Coke is consumed by a lot of Jewish Orthodox families as an alternative to alcoholic beverages, because they can't drink milk, which is the usual jewish drink. I'm not sure what happens to fruit juices...

Coidzor
2010-09-17, 04:12 PM
Also: Coke is consumed by a lot of Jewish Orthodox families as an alternative to alcoholic beverages, because they can't drink milk, which is the usual jewish drink.

At all or just with meat in the same x hours/meal?

Trog
2010-09-17, 06:35 PM
Mexican Coke in glass bottles. P= Though usually I drink Diet Mt. Dew. Which is awful... but I'm addicted. >>;

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-09-17, 06:55 PM
At all or just with meat in the same x hours/meal?

With meat. Dairy+meat is not allowed in same meal.

Mando Knight
2010-09-17, 07:21 PM
With meat. Dairy+meat is not allowed in same meal.

...I did not know that.
*searches memory*
...Ah. I see where they got that restriction.

Dr.Epic
2010-09-17, 07:22 PM
No :smalltongue:

You either die drinking Pepsi or live long enough to see yourself drinking Coke.

Mando Knight
2010-09-17, 07:32 PM
You either die drinking Pepsi or live long enough to see yourself drinking Coke.

*Pops the cap off a bottle*

...Huh. Guess I'm doing the latter. (As it should be :smalltongue:)

Remmirath
2010-09-17, 07:56 PM
I prefer Coke to Pepsi, although I'm really not particularly fond of soda in general. Most of them are all right, but not anything I'd drink if I have things I like better on hand. Coke, I'll sometimes drink if there are other options. Same goes for Dr. Pepper.

I'm not really sure why I like Coke better. It goes better with rum and tastes better flat, I think. That's probably part of it.

Ravens_cry
2010-09-17, 10:21 PM
My workplace gives us free soda. Recently, we switched from Coke to Pepsi. There was a near riot, which abated after a stern message from our manager that "people should keep in mind that it is FREE".
Wow, it's like the Internet but in REAL LIFE.:smallamused:

Klose_the_Sith
2010-09-17, 10:46 PM
I honestly can't tell the difference, but if you put me on the spot with both in front of me and said "CHOOSE!" I'd probably go Pepsi.

No real reason for it, I just would.

Were there a Dr. Pepper, however ... :smallbiggrin:

DranWork
2010-09-17, 10:52 PM
Being in Australia and how hard it is to get Pepsi sometimes I am forced to drink more coke then I like. However I much much much prefer Pepsi over Coke. it can be quite annoying.

Also much prefer Pepsi as a mixer, its a bit smoother I guess or something...

Mando Knight
2010-09-17, 11:16 PM
Wow, it's like the Internet but in REAL LIFE.:smallamused:

1.) It's the Internet that's like real life, not the other way around. :smallwink:
2.) Coca-Cola is Serious Business.

Xyk
2010-09-18, 12:17 AM
Mexican Coke in glass bottles. P= Though usually I drink Diet Mt. Dew. Which is awful... but I'm addicted. >>;

Mexican coke in glass bottles is the most delicious caffeinated beverage ever. It has real sugar! Like from sugar cane, not corn!

Ozymandias9
2010-09-18, 12:32 AM
Caffeine-Free Diet Cherry Vanilla Doctor Pepper.

But only because the name rolls off my tongue.

thubby
2010-09-18, 12:34 AM
Caffeine-Free Diet Cherry Vanilla Doctor Pepper.

But only because the name rolls off my tongue.

except for the diet part, that actually sounds really good.

Zaydos
2010-09-18, 12:36 AM
except for the diet part, that actually sounds really good.

Needs more caffeine too.

Nibleswick
2010-09-18, 01:49 AM
I seem to drink more Ironport (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironport_(beverage)) than other sodas. It's kinda a local thing though.

Lioness
2010-09-18, 03:51 AM
I don't do soft drink anymore, but I'm definitely a Pepsi person

thubby
2010-09-18, 04:38 AM
Needs more caffeine too.

if you need the energy fix, i guess. i dislike the whole addictive aspect of it though.

HellfireLover
2010-09-18, 05:35 AM
Pepsi over Coke most days, unless you're counting Cherry Coke (which is very difficult to find in my area.) Dr Pepper over both. Jamaican Ginger Beer over Dr Pepper. But if I could only ever drink one type of pop again... it would be Irn Bru (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irn-Bru).

Barr's drinks are great, Irn Bru being the best. It even cures hangovers.

Archonic Energy
2010-09-18, 08:14 AM
I doubt they could recolor your pee so easily,

here's a fun experiment
buy a small bottle of food colouring (try Blue)
drink the bottle. don't worry it won't kill you*!
wait 6-8 hrs
pee.

* unless you are allergic to food dyes is which point do NOT try this!

Serpentine
2010-09-18, 08:17 AM
I don't recommend it with anything with an alcohol base, either. I think there's a particular food that's known for changing urine colour, too (and I don't think I'm thinking of asparagus' smelliness)...

Hieronymus Rex
2010-09-18, 08:22 AM
I personally prefer Coke (goes better with my JD :smallbiggrin:) but it was banned on my college campus last year due to... Something to do with their business practises I think? Was there some kind of scandal involving the Coca-Cola company?

Serpentine
2010-09-18, 08:27 AM
When is there not? I believe there's things like them fouling/using up all the water supplies of poor communities and things like that. Among others.

Hieronymus Rex
2010-09-18, 08:32 AM
Ah, probably one of those then. I'm not terribly politically aware, I'm afraid.

Yora
2010-09-18, 08:34 AM
I hate pepsi. Always tastes as if it had been left standing for too long and it's sickeningly sweet. :smallyuk:

Penguinsushi
2010-09-18, 09:18 AM
I'm generally cool with any kind of soda, but I tend to *prefer* Pepsi. A lot of people say that pepsi is too sweet, but I personally find coke to be too syrupy...

~PS

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-09-18, 09:59 AM
I've yet to understand the appeal of Mountain Dew. When I was working with the crew to help build my parent's place there was a guy who went through at least one of the jumbo enormous bottles every day.

One day he forgot to bring it and he started getting shakes because of withdrawal.

It's like the non-alchoholic drink of choice in my (red)neck of the woods. Though I have nothing against it's taste per se, not sure why anyone would prefer it.

Trog
2010-09-18, 10:15 AM
I've yet to understand the appeal of Mountain Dew. When I was working with the crew to help build my parent's place there was a guy who went through at least one of the jumbo enormous bottles every day.

One day he forgot to bring it and he started getting shakes because of withdrawal.

It's like the non-alchoholic drink of choice in my (red)neck of the woods. Though I have nothing against it's taste per se, not sure why anyone would prefer it.
One doesn't prefer Mtn Dew, one is addicted to it. And not in a "this tastes so awesome that I'm addicted to it" sort of way but more in a "need my fix" sort of way, unfortunately.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-18, 10:32 AM
Has anyone ever heard of NOS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NOS_(drink))? My friend drank two of them and it he started to physically shake. They call it an energy drink and it has high fructose corn syrup and caffeine it it. Very healthy. Worse part is that it's a Coca Cola product.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-09-18, 10:36 AM
I've seen it, but never thought to taste it. Energy drinks have zero affect on me and as such have nothing going for them but the taste, which energy drinks are also notoriously lacking in.

I.e. blech.

The Bushranger
2010-09-18, 10:39 AM
I'm going to go with...

Royal Crown Cola

Hold the moon pie, though. :smallcool:

Malfunctioned
2010-09-18, 10:40 AM
I've seen it, but never thought to taste it. Energy drinks have zero affect on me and as such have nothing going for them but the taste, which energy drinks are also notoriously lacking in.

I.e. blech.

Energy drinks tend to have little effect on me. Except for one particular Relentless Inferno which does tend to give me a notable buzz.

Of course the energy shots tend to do about them same.

Kaiser Omnik
2010-09-18, 10:45 AM
I personally prefer Coke (goes better with my JD :smallbiggrin:) but it was banned on my college campus last year due to... Something to do with their business practises I think? Was there some kind of scandal involving the Coca-Cola company?

We can't discuss much of this because of the forum rules, but here's a link for more information on a campaign against Coke:
http://killercoke.org/

It's not banned on my campus, but at least it doesn't have the exclusivity contract like it used to.

I don't drink much soft drink anyway. So neither Pepsi or coke for me. :smalltongue:

Zevox
2010-09-18, 11:06 AM
One doesn't prefer Mtn Dew, one is addicted to it. And not in a "this tastes so awesome that I'm addicted to it" sort of way but more in a "need my fix" sort of way, unfortunately.
...but how does one become addicted to it if it doesn't taste good enough to warrant at least semi-regular drinking of it to begin with? :smallconfused:

Zevox

Archonic Energy
2010-09-18, 11:07 AM
I don't recommend it with anything with an alcohol base, either. I think there's a particular food that's known for changing urine colour, too (and I don't think I'm thinking of asparagus' smelliness)...

fair point, don't drink the alcohol based food colouring.

Trog
2010-09-18, 11:40 AM
...but how does one become addicted to it if it doesn't taste good enough to warrant at least semi-regular drinking of it to begin with? :smallconfused:

Zevox
You work up to it, naturally, when you don't get enough sugar or caffeine by other means. :smallwink:

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-18, 11:59 AM

Zevox
You work up to it, naturally, when you don't get enough sugar or caffeine by other means. :smallwink:

And then you become addicted :smallwink:

Assassin89
2010-09-18, 12:01 PM
I have no preference between Pepsi or Coke. In fact, I find that they taste similar.

RebelRogue
2010-09-18, 12:04 PM
I think there's a particular food that's known for changing urine colour, too (and I don't think I'm thinking of asparagus' smelliness)...
I'm not sure, but I could imagine beetroot in large quantities might do it.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-18, 12:13 PM
I have no preference between Pepsi or Coke. In fact, I find that they taste similar.

That's why I made the thread. They're similar, but just a bit different and some people can tell that difference.

AKAAATT
2010-09-18, 05:22 PM
coke, it just tastes better to me

seadak
2010-09-18, 07:03 PM
Coke, because my sister hates it!

AtopTheMountain
2010-09-18, 09:22 PM
Coke > Pepsi

Diet Pepsi > Diet Coke

Cherry Coke = Cherry Pepsi

Mountain Dew >>>>>>>> Everything.

Winter_Wolf
2010-09-19, 05:48 PM
I like Vanilla Coke, Vanilla Cherry Coke, regular Pepsi, cherry Pepsi. Regular coke just tastes nasty, and diet sodas of both types are nasty.

Vanilla Coke wins on account of how much I like vanilla, though. Now I need to go grab a soda.

Snares
2010-09-19, 06:11 PM
My preference changes all the time - I get bored of one particular kind of Pepsi/Coke quickly. At the moment I'm hovering between regular Coke and Dr. Pepper, although Pepsi Max was my favourite for a long time.

Zaydos
2010-09-19, 06:18 PM
I've got to say I agree that Mountain Dew is addictive. I like the blue version and Code Red for flavor, but the green is more easily available from the campus fountains and so I end up drinking it when I need a caffeine fix... which with my bad sleep schedule is too often.

Thajocoth
2010-09-19, 07:21 PM
I like Vanilla Coke, Vanilla Cherry Coke, regular Pepsi, cherry Pepsi. Regular coke just tastes nasty, and diet sodas of both types are nasty.

Vanilla Coke wins on account of how much I like vanilla, though. Now I need to go grab a soda.

What about Pepsi Vanilla?

Rae Artemi
2010-09-19, 08:22 PM
Guys, guys, Pepsi White, that is all.

most disgusting sounding big soft drink I've ever heard of.

Winter_Wolf
2010-09-19, 10:53 PM
What about Pepsi Vanilla?

Never even heard of it, much less seen it in the local stores. I would try it if I found it, though.

Thajocoth
2010-09-19, 10:57 PM
Never even heard of it, much less seen it in the local stores. I would try it if I found it, though.

It's advertised as the "Not so vanilla vanilla", if that helps at all.

Mando Knight
2010-09-19, 11:05 PM

Possibly because your location says you're in China. It was primarily released in Canada and the US. Its current availability in those two countries is infrequent...

Winter_Wolf
2010-09-20, 11:05 PM
Actually I'm currently in the US, but I don't know that it's a local thing. Then again I don't usually buy a lot of soda so I haven't really looked that hard for it. About the time I get around to changing my location I'll probably be back in China, so I just leave it.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-21, 08:06 PM
Guys, guys, Pepsi White, that is all.

most disgusting sounding big soft drink I've ever heard of.

No, that goes to Pocari Sweat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocari_Sweat). My mom freaked. It was hilarious.

Tasted pretty good though, sort of like Gatorade.

Elfin
2010-09-21, 11:32 PM
Honestly? I can't stand soda of any kind, though then again I'm not really partial to sweet tastes.
But on the few occasions I have tried Coke or Pepsi, I can never tell the difference. To me, they're both carbonated, sugary, brown, obscenely successful drinks which come in cans.
I'm not much of a connoisseur when it comes to soda.