PDA

View Full Version : [pf/3.5]Slaying The Beast! Tarrasque slaying for young and old.

Fingerlessfist
2010-09-16, 04:59 AM
so, I was Surfing the Internets and I found this website of Eldritch lore, on ways to slay the impossible:http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dkb1/dnd/tarrasque.txt

Well, Gentlemen, we must not let the spirit of slaying die,(even if the damn thing now can't, due to the new rules) and to that end, I present his pathfinder stats!

TARRASQUE
This immense reptilian beast towers over the surroundings like a dinosaur, all teeth and horns and claws and thrashing spiked tail.
CR 25
XP 1,638,400
N Colossal magical beast
Init +7; Senses low-light vision, scent; Perception +43
Aura frightful presence (300 ft., DC 27)
DEFENSE
AC 40, touch 5, flat-footed 37 (+3 Dex, +35 natural, –8 size)
hp 525 (30d10+360); regeneration 40
Fort +31, Ref +22, Will +12
DR 15/epic; Immune ability damage, acid, bleed, disease, energy drain, fire, mind-affecting effects, paralysis, permanent wounds, petrification, poison, polymorph; SR 36
OFFENSE
Speed 40 ft.
Melee bite +37 (4d8+15/15–20/×3 plus grab), 2 claws +37 (1d12+15), 2 gores +37 (1d10+15), tail slap +32 (3d8+7)
Ranged 6 spines +25 (2d10+15/×3)
Space 30 ft.; Reach 30 ft. (60 ft. with tail slap)
Special Attacks rush, spines, swallow whole (6d6+22 plus 6d6 acid, AC 27, hp 52)
STATISTICS
Str 41, Dex 16, Con 34, Int 3, Wis 15, Cha 14
Base Atk +30; CMB +53 (+57 grapple); CMD 66
Feats Awesome Blow, Blind-Fight, Bleeding Critical, Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Critical Focus, Great Cleave, Great Fortitude, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Critical (bite), Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes, Power Attack, Run, Stunning Critical
Skills Acrobatics +3 (+43 when jumping), Perception +43; Racial Modifiers +8 Perception
Languages Aklo (cannot speak)
SQ carapace, powerful leaper
ECOLOGY
Environment any
Organization solitary
Treasure none
SPECIAL ABILITIES
Carapace (Su) The tarrasque's scales deflect cones, lines, rays, and magic missile spells, rendering the tarrasque immune to such effects. There is a 30% chance a deflected effect reflects back in full force at the caster; otherwise it is simply negated.
Powerful Leaper (Ex) The tarrasque uses its Strength to modify Acrobatics checks made to jump, and has a +24 racial bonus on Acrobatics checks made to jump.
Regeneration (Ex) No form of attack can suppress the tarrasque's regeneration—it regenerates even if disintegrated or slain by a death effect. If the tarrasque fails a save against an effect that would kill it instantly, it rises from death 3 rounds later with 1 hit point if no further damage is inflicted upon its remains. It can be banished or otherwise transported as a means to save a region, but the method to truly kill it has yet to be discovered.
Rush (Ex) Once per minute for 1 round, the tarrasque can move at a speed of 150 feet. This increases its Acrobatics bonus on checks made to jump to +87.
Spines (Ex) The tarrasque can loose a volley of six spear-like spines from its body as a standard action with a toss of its head or a lash of its tail. Make an attack roll for each spine—all targets must be within 30 feet of each other. The spines have a range increment of 120 ft.
The legendary tarrasque is among the world's most destructive monsters. Thankfully, it spends most of its time in a deep torpor in an unknown cavern in a remote corner of the world—yet when it wakens, kingdoms die.
Although far from intelligent, the tarrasque is smart enough to understand a few words in Aklo (though it cannot speak). Likewise, it isn't mindless in its rampages, but instead focuses on targets that threaten it, and is difficult to distract with trickery.

So! Peope of the fora!

HOW DO WE KILL GODZILLA THE TARRASQUE*?!!

*at the very least we need to permanently disable it.

Greenish
2010-09-16, 05:01 AM
I think you are mistaken. For Slaying the Beast, you have to kill Taragaman the Hungerer.

Kwinza
2010-09-16, 05:12 AM
Research a permanent force cage.... profit!

Fingerlessfist
2010-09-16, 05:18 AM
@Greenish ...Oh, I get it. Har har.

WELL SCREW YOUR ****, THAT WAS NOT THE BEAST I WAS TALKING ABOUT HERE!
@ kwinza: Do you know how you would do that?

Kwinza
2010-09-16, 05:20 AM
Not off the top of my head but there are rules for researching new spells like that, hell at that level just wish for one :smalltongue:

Fingerlessfist
2010-09-16, 05:25 AM
small problem: I'm pretty sure that the Tarrasque is like 50ft70ft long and i don't think you could fit him within a 20ft cage. In Addition, the cage can still be damaged, although it has a hardness of 30 so the damage would be slow even for the Tarrasque.

Might still work with 3.5 though. you'd need a bigger cage, however.

Edit: I have an idea for a temporary solution: If you could get an Aboleth into It's mouth,it's mucous cloud might make it start drowning in plain air.

Edit: Wait nevermind, Fort save of 31 plus....

olentu
2010-09-16, 05:53 AM
So it looks like it can still be taken over with magic jar if I am not missing anything so presumably (with a reasonable interpretation of what the spell is supposed to do) one could use this to dictate the actions of the body.

Now let me see. It looks like one can still suppress special resistances to magics when choosing to voluntarily fail a save. Thus someone in the body can allow it to be baleful polymorphed and voluntarily fail both saves. Luckily this does not suppress ex abilities but rather removes them and thus can remove the regeneration. So then the body can be killed while it no longer has the regeneration special ability. And now it is dead if I am not missing any changes in the pathfinder rules.

Fingerlessfist
2010-09-16, 06:10 AM
actually, that looks like it might work, if you can legally suppress extraordinary abilities, and if you could successfully take over the Tarrasque.

the real question is, if you have taken over the Tarrasque, why would you then destroy it?

The White Knight
2010-09-16, 06:17 AM
Because you have just made yourself the target of countless exercises in tactical optimization.

olentu
2010-09-16, 06:24 AM
actually, that looks like it might work, if you can legally suppress extraordinary abilities, and if you could successfully take over the Tarrasque.

the real question is, if you have taken over the Tarrasque, why would you then destroy it?

Well you could always save it for later but perhaps you just want to kill it for the prestige or something.

Eldariel
2010-09-16, 06:37 AM
I've done it with a few Fighter 20s. The idea is to beat it into submission and then just keep beating it ad nauseam; as long as a CdG deals more than 55 damage, it's safe. A decent longterm solution is constructing Golems to hammer away at it, or just Plane Shift it to e.g. Positive Energy Plane where it'll just constantly keep exploding, or Elemental Plane of Water where it'll keep drowning. Or yeah, Magic Jar it.

Esser-Z
2010-09-16, 06:44 AM
Apply arbitrary numbers of negative levels through non-SR spells, likes Prestidigitation.

(As developed here) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168425&page=2)

That's right. I killed the unkillable with a cantrip.

Eldariel
2010-09-16, 07:03 AM
Apply arbitrary numbers of negative levels through non-SR spells, likes Prestidigitation.

(As developed here) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168425&page=2)

That's right. I killed the unkillable with a cantrip.

It's not that easy. Tarrasque is immune to Energy Drain. Tho Alliping it to coma still works; Shapechange, Command Undead and similar make Alliping it quite easy.

Esser-Z
2010-09-16, 07:06 AM
It's not that easy. Tarrasque is immune to Energy Drain. Tho Alliping it to coma still works; Shapechange, Command Undead and similar make Alliping it quite easy.

Oh bah. Missed that part. Curses.

Malbordeus
2010-09-16, 07:08 AM
Divine Persisting a Summon Undead 4...

wow, what a way to annoy a silly CR critter. ... wait. does its attacks count as magical?

Eldariel
2010-09-16, 07:15 AM
Divine Persisting a Summon Undead 4...

wow, what a way to annoy a silly CR critter. ... wait. does its attacks count as magical?

Tarrasque's? Its attacks count as epic for the purposes of penetrating DR, but that's it. It can't hit incorporeals. And frankly, Rebuke Undead to Control Allip or just Command Undead is probably the quickest way to pick one along; Teleport and Scry to get to 'em and then bring your new undead toy to comatose Big T permanently. No point in killing it since it would just be reborn, but comatose is nice and its Spell Resistance makes it hard for any random idiot to Restoration it.

Imprisonment is another nice way to get rid of it semi-permanently. Though then it's probably a good idea to conceal it from divination too so people won't know where to Freedom.

Esser-Z
2010-09-16, 07:16 AM
If you've got it comatose, you can then use it as an infinite supply of meat!

Malbordeus
2010-09-16, 07:19 AM
forgive me if i'm wrong here.
command undead on a intelligent undead is basicly charm person? rebuking you need 8 HD to control, otherwise it cowers?

or you could just repeatedly summon at it... all round win.

Greenish
2010-09-16, 07:27 AM
small problem: I'm pretty sure that the Tarrasque is like 50ft70ft long and i don't think you could fit him within a 20ft cage.Actually, the Tarrasque is 30' by 30' by 30' cube. :smallamused:

Eldariel
2010-09-16, 07:40 AM
forgive me if i'm wrong here.
command undead on a intelligent undead is basicly charm person?

Correct. More or less you just ask it "Please wail at this thing" and then it goes "Sure" and Big T goes "RAWROMGITHURTSGETITOUTOFMYBRAIN!!!" and then you send the Allip right back where you got it from, or slay it depending on your attitude towards those things.

rebuking you need 8 HD to control, otherwise it cowers?

12 HD. It has Turn Resistance +2. You'll need a 12th level Cleric to Control it.

or you could just repeatedly summon at it... all round win.

Sure. I prefer longterm control though.

Chen
2010-09-16, 07:55 AM
Why do Allips work? Isn't it immune to ability damage/drain?

Eldariel
2010-09-16, 08:14 AM
Why do Allips work? Isn't it immune to ability damage/drain?

Because it's only immune to Ability Damage; Ability Drain works just fine. Really, reading the creature's entry should tell you that :smalltongue:

Fingerlessfist
2010-09-17, 02:03 AM
Actually, the Tarrasque is 30' by 30' by 30' cube. :smallamused:

STOP PEEING ON MY GLORY!

Seriously though, good point. Force cage clearly won't work though.

Also you other guys have good ideas.

Personally, I like the idea of using the Witch's forced Resurrection grand hex. while it had a low chance of working despite the Tarrasque poor will save, and you will have to wait a day if it fails, if it's successful it means that this mighty beast will die....

Of coruse, it will then immediately reincarnate as a really strong and really dumb goblin, but still... it will be a goblin that is (slightly more)easily killed.

Ravens_cry
2010-09-17, 02:16 AM
Get a a bunch of dirigibles and start bombing the Holy **** out of it from high altitude. Rocks, chunks of metal, doesn't matter. Just keep doing that until it falls unconscious and then keep doing that. If you want it DEAD you need a high level wizard or similar, but otherwise it's a completely mundane way of taking the beast out.

Reis Tahlen
2010-09-17, 02:42 AM
Easy.

Use the latest technology in goblin warfare, and it's game over for the beast:

http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/death-star-7.jpg

GOBLINS WILL PREVAIL!!!

Fingerlessfist
2010-09-17, 02:50 AM
Reis Tahlen: I appreciate your goblin-Superiority views, but that weapon is beyond the scope of both goblin and non-goblins in genreal.....

Maybe a pesant railgun?

@ raven's cry: That's A FINE solution! then again, i think being far enough to get away from a Tarrasque spike-launcher reach also means your accuracy will be shot, and it might run, so furtherer methods will be need in order to make this plan easier.

Augmented Lurk
2010-09-17, 02:58 AM
It can't hit incorporeals

Yes it can. The incorporeal subtype was updated in Monster Manual III (and reprinted in TOB), and clearly states that creatures with attacks that count as magic for overcoming DR can attack incorporeal creatures. Though an allip could still go underground and attack through the ground.

Draz74
2010-09-17, 11:11 AM
Dungeonscape.

Trollbane. 90 gp per dose.

Figure out a way to do massive damage with only a few attacks. Standard Ubercharging works, as does a Warblade 17 with Strike of Perfect Clarity.

Give the Tarrasque a couple of massive wounds coated with Trollbane; no more Tarrasque problem.

Ravens_cry
2010-09-17, 10:17 PM
@ raven's cry: That's A FINE solution! then again, i think being far enough to get away from a Tarrasque spike-launcher reach also means your accuracy will be shot, and it might run, so furtherer methods will be need in order to make this plan easier.
Hitting with a falling object would be like hitting with a grenade or other similar weapon, your trying to hit a particular square. This is AC 5. Even with distance modifers, it's still easy.
Plus, I think he only has a spike weapon in PF. Unfortunately, the PF also took out the wish-to-kill final method. Still, one could always do this after subduing it, and make Laws of the Conservation of Energy and Mass go to bed and weep. (http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=261519)

Jack_Simth
2010-09-17, 10:35 PM
Question:
Did Pathfinder get rid of the starvation and thirst rules, which explicitly bypass regeneration? Because if they didn't, and you can pound it into submission long enough, it's not getting back up until something comes along and deliberately feeds the permanently unconscious beast.

Fingerlessfist
2010-09-20, 05:19 AM
I'm not sure, i don't think so...

Although I agree, they should have kept the wish rule. or perhaps changed it to miracle, because it just sounds so appropriate to kill the kingdom-devouring god-beast with miracle.

Jack_Simth
2010-09-20, 07:07 AM
Ah, there it is (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering---final/environment---final/environmental-rules#TOC-Starvation-and-Thirst):

Characters might find themselves without food or water and with no means to obtain them. In normal climates, Medium characters need at least a gallon of fluids and about a pound of decent food per day to avoid starvation. (Small characters need half as much.) In very hot climates, characters need two or three times as much water to avoid dehydration.

A character can go without water for 1 day plus a number of hours equal to his Constitution score. After this time, the character must make a Constitution check each hour (DC 10, +1 for each previous check) or take 1d6 points of nonlethal damage. Characters that take an amount of nonlethal damage equal to their total hit points begin to take lethal damage instead.

A character can go without food for 3 days, in growing discomfort. After this time, the character must make a Constitution check each day (DC 10, +1 for each previous check) or take 1d6 points of nonlethal damage. Characters that take an amount of nonlethal damage equal to their total hit points begin to take lethal damage instead.

Characters who have taken nonlethal damage from lack of food or water are fatigued. Nonlethal damage from thirst or starvation cannot be recovered until the character gets food or water, as needed—not even magic that restores hit points heals this damage.and.... (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/universal-monster-rules#TOC-Regeneration-Ex-)
Regeneration (Ex)

A creature with this ability is difficult to kill. Creatures with regeneration heal damage at a fixed rate, as with fast healing, but they cannot die as long as their regeneration is still functioning (although creatures with regeneration still fall unconscious when their hit points are below 0). Certain attack forms, typically fire and acid, cause a creature's regeneration to stop functioning on the round following the attack. During this round, the creature does not heal any damage and can die normally. The creature's descriptive text describes the types of damage that cause the regeneration to cease functioning.

Attack forms that don't deal hit point damage are not healed by regeneration. Regeneration also does not restore hit points lost from starvation, thirst, or suffocation. Regenerating creatures can regrow lost portions of their bodies and can reattach severed limbs or body parts if they are brought together within 1 hour of severing. Severed parts that are not reattached wither and die normally.

A creature must have a Constitution score to have the regeneration ability.(Emphasis added)

So Mr. T (in Pathfinder) has:
HP 525
AC 40
Regen 40
Con 34
DR 15/Epic

With Con-34, he's got a +12 Con modifier. Assuming he always rolls 20's on his Con checks, and always rolls a 1 on his nonlethal damage checks...

For thirst: 1 day, +34 hours before he needs to make checks (58 hours). DC starts at 10, so if he always rolls 20's, he can make DC's up to 32. To get DC 33 (always fails), he needs 24 checks (10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33). So he takes his first point of damage that he can't recover from at hour 92. 524 hours later (total: 616 hours) his nonlethal damage from Thirst matches his hit points, and he falls unconscious. Staying that way until the water goes high enough that he can drink it while unconscious (note: Pathfinder inherited the oddity from D&D that you can't actually die of thirst...).

Now, how much damage do you need to deal to him to keep him down that long?

Well, at Regen-40, 10 rounds per minute, 60 minutes per hour, and 616 hours, and not neglecting his starting HP, that's 14,784,525 points of damage. Hurt him that much, move him somewhere that there won't ever be any water (The Plane of Fire, maybe), and you're set.

So unless that pesky "permanent wounds" immunity takes care of the nonlethal from thirst, an Ubercharger with a +4 Bane (Magical Beast) Greatsword can take him down permanently. With a little bit of work.

Esser-Z
2010-09-20, 07:46 AM
SLAY it? I'd rather make it my animal companion!

Jack_Simth
2010-09-20, 06:08 PM
SLAY it? I'd rather make it my animal companion!
It's a Magical Beast with an Int of 3, so it doesn't qualify. It's also immune to mind-affecting effects, so it's a bit tricky to get it permanently under your control.

I mean, sure, Miracle (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells---final/miracle) and Limited Wish (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells---final/limited-wish) don't technically inherit the [Mind-Affecting] tag from Charm Monster (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells---final/charm-monster), and Big T (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-lists-and-details/-t/tarrasque) doesn't exactly have a stellar Charisma for resisting when you tell it to do something against it's nature, but still...

Draz74
2010-09-20, 07:35 PM
I mean, sure, Miracle (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells---final/miracle) and Limited Wish (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells---final/limited-wish) don't technically inherit the [Mind-Affecting] tag from Charm Monster (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells---final/charm-monster), and Big T (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-lists-and-details/-t/tarrasque) doesn't exactly have a stellar Charisma for resisting when you tell it to do something against it's nature, but still...

Or, since Dominate is way cooler than Charm, just go Psionic and use Bend Reality (which likewise doesn't inherit the mind-affecting tag, and is available at ECL 15 instead of 17) to duplicate Psionic Dominate.