PDA

View Full Version : Bone breaking and wrestling balance PF

ShakeHandsMan
2010-09-16, 10:54 AM
Greetings playgrounders, I need a little help with a character concept I've been working on, and I want to make sure its relatively balanced before I run it by my DM.
I'm working on a (in my experience) unique character concept. I'll be building a grappling based character, but since grappling on its own sucks, I got to thinking, what would the mechanics be if I wanted to break someones elbow or neck while in a grapple?

Rough idea was as follows: I roll 1d20 + grapple modifier =X, with X being the DC the opponent has to beat in a grapple check or escape artist, whichever is higher, if they fail that roll, then they roll a fort save against the same DC, if they fail that i break the limb / joint, and apply the appropriate penalties.

Any ideas for improvement?

Kaww
2010-09-16, 11:01 AM
So if he can't roll high enough grapple he should be able to roll that same fort save? *Broken* DC is too high. Try your HD + STR mod + DEX mod as fort DC. And build from there.

Also I'd rule that you have to pin first.

To break bones you have to know creatures anatomy well. So a knowledge or heal check for you, DC=HD of what ever you are trying to subdue.

Lapak
2010-09-16, 11:59 AM
It's going to be tough to balance, honestly, because you're bypassing the damage-tracking mechanic of D&D (hit points) in a more permanent way than most status effects. An expert axe-wielder can't choose to chop off someone's hand; why can you choose to break someone's wrist?

Rather than try to apply penalties with limb-breaking, I'd make it some sort of opposed grappling role to allow you to apply a Coup de Gras attempt during a grapple.

Starbuck_II
2010-09-16, 12:11 PM
Greetings playgrounders, I need a little help with a character concept I've been working on, and I want to make sure its relatively balanced before I run it by my DM.
I'm working on a (in my experience) unique character concept. I'll be building a grappling based character, but since grappling on its own sucks, I got to thinking, what would the mechanics be if I wanted to break someones elbow or neck while in a grapple?

Rough idea was as follows: I roll 1d20 + grapple modifier =X, with X being the DC the opponent has to beat in a grapple check or escape artist, whichever is higher, if they fail that roll, then they roll a fort save against the same DC, if they fail that i break the limb / joint, and apply the appropriate penalties.

Any ideas for improvement?

The Reaping Mauler in CW (complete Warrior) does allow you to do this. Granted the Preqs suck.