PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Archer Base Class

WarKitty
2010-09-16, 03:58 PM
I'd like a design for an arcane archer as a base class. Essentially, a class that uses spell-imbued weapons as their primary means of attack (in this case arrows). The class should be roughly equal in power to a sorcerer.

Eldan
2010-09-16, 03:59 PM
You could base it remotely on the Soulbow...

Hmm. Soulknife weapon progression (or better than that, probably) for a bow, wisdom to hit and damage with bows, ranger spells and then the various class features of the arcane archer?

boomwolf
2010-09-16, 07:37 PM
Actually, I think a partial caster with some archery shticks and bow-spell interactions might work better then a soulbow to really give the Arcane Archer "Feel"

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-09-16, 07:39 PM
Taking the duskblade, making Arcane Channel work with bows and crossbows only, and swapping the touch-range spells in its spell list for area spells would probably be the most straightforward solution.

Temotei
2010-09-16, 08:02 PM
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9186186&postcount=1)'s one solution.

Starbuck_II
2010-09-16, 11:32 PM
I'd like a design for an arcane archer as a base class. Essentially, a class that uses spell-imbued weapons as their primary means of attack (in this case arrows). The class should be roughly equal in power to a sorcerer.

Give it Bard progression (but 1 level 1 known and 0 level 1 spells/day so high casting stat gives 1 or more 1st levels/day): Sorceror spells known and casting type (spontaneous).

Let them shoot at 2nd level imbued arrows (ones that cast spell on target hit). Basically any single target spell (even touch/rays) can be cast through arrow.

They now can use area spells at 5th level.

They get Enhance arrow (arrows always treated as magical) and gain +1/2 levels to hit/damage (this stacks with enhancement bonus from magical bow or arrows).
These arrows only gain this bonus when used by the Arcane Archer.

In addition, he can enhance them to be treated as his choice (free action):
1/encounter per 2 levels ( level 4 twice/encounter, Level 6, 3/encounter, etc).
He can use an extra use for an extra benefit (flaming and frost arrows).

At level 3rd: Arrows can gain Flaming, Shock, or Frost
At 8th: Arrows can gain flaming Flaming burst, Shocking burst, or Icy burst.
At 12: Arrows can now gain anarchic, axiomatic, holy, or unholy.

Add in seeker arrow, Phase, Hail of Arrows, and Arrow of Death.

Eldan
2010-09-17, 07:42 AM
Actually, I think a partial caster with some archery shticks and bow-spell interactions might work better then a soulbow to really give the Arcane Archer "Feel"

I didn't mean conjuring your own bow, really. I meant a self-enchanting weapon like a soulknife. Kensai is a better example, perhaps.

Also, I would add the ranger's bow spells to whatever spell list you end up using.

Alternatively, the Age of Warriors project has three or more archery schools you could use to make an archery swordsage who would come out pretty similar to an Arcane Archer.