PDA

View Full Version : Wii not working right, can someone help?

Rae Artemi
2010-09-16, 08:06 PM
Okay, so I got Other M today, and when I put it into my Wii, the motor didn't run. I figured that the motor may have just died in the couple of months that I hadn't been playing it, but no, it will run all of my old games, but not Other M.

I tried downloading system updates, but it didn't work, the motor still wouldn't run when I put the game in.

So, does anyone know what's wrong with it?

Geno9999
2010-09-16, 08:46 PM
Have you tried cleaning your Wii? I've had a similar problem with Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and it worked when I cleaned the Wii a little bit.

Triaxx
2010-09-16, 09:15 PM
Put it in upside down. See if it engages, and gives you a wrong side error, or invalid disc. It might be a flaw in the disc.

Rae Artemi
2010-09-16, 09:37 PM
Have you tried cleaning your Wii? I've had a similar problem with Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and it worked when I cleaned the Wii a little bit.

I could try that, if only I could find a screwdriver that can get at the stupidly shaped screws holding the front casing on. I mean, seriously, where am I supposed to find a screwdriver with three sides on the head?

Put it in upside down. See if it engages, and gives you a wrong side error, or invalid disc. It might be a flaw in the disc.

I already tried that, and it still didn't spin. It won't spin any of my discs if I put them in backwards though, but it does spin the old ones when I put them in the right way.

Triaxx
2010-09-17, 07:54 AM
That's exactly the thing. You aren't supposed to get in thus the Y head screws. Mind, if you're sufficiently mechanically inclined you can manufacture your own screw driver, but it's more work than most people are willing to go to.

ObadiahtheSlim
2010-09-17, 07:59 AM
Stick a different disc in. If it won't read that disc then your Wii's drive is broken. You'll need to send it in to repair it.

Triaxx
2010-09-17, 08:11 AM
This is common enough that it shows up under the Tech Support for the Wii on Nintendo's website. It suggests trying the Wii cleaning disk, or sending it for repair.

Irbis
2010-09-17, 08:38 AM
That's exactly the thing. You aren't supposed to get in thus the Y head screws. Mind, if you're sufficiently mechanically inclined you can manufacture your own screw driver, but it's more work than most people are willing to go to.

Um, what? All you need is to bend a head of normal flat 'driver.

Good quality 'driver (to last the operation), pliers, hard surface, 10 seconds and you're good to go.

Geno9999
2010-09-17, 10:08 AM
I could try that, if only I could find a screwdriver that can get at the stupidly shaped screws holding the front casing on. I mean, seriously, where am I supposed to find a screwdriver with three sides on the head?

Umm... when did "Clean the Wii" mean "Take the Wii apart"? I bought a lens cleaner from Nintendo, so poke around in their customer support to find out how to get one of your own.

Rae Artemi
2010-09-17, 02:42 PM
Umm... when did "Clean the Wii" mean "Take the Wii apart"? I bought a lens cleaner from Nintendo, so poke around in their customer support to find out how to get one of your own.

Yeah, I though you meant manually, as in take it apart and clean the dust out of the motor and such. Lens cleaning would indeed be much easier.

I just checked Nintendo's site(I probably should have done that first), and I'll either have to send my Wii in for repairs, or spend ten bucks on the cleaning kit. I'll probably send it in for repairs, because it's apparently still under warranty, once I finish Other M using my friend's Wii, as I have to send the disc in with the system.

Winter_Wolf
2010-09-18, 08:26 PM
Okay I probably missed something, but did you take the Other M disc back and ask to exchange it for another copy? Sometimes it works. Usually not, but you could have a defective disc.

Unless it's a problem with ALL new games, in which case you're pretty much stuck with sending it back for repairs. Good luck, either way.

Rae Artemi
2010-09-18, 08:34 PM
Okay I probably missed something, but did you take the Other M disc back and ask to exchange it for another copy? Sometimes it works. Usually not, but you could have a defective disc.

Unless it's a problem with ALL new games, in which case you're pretty much stuck with sending it back for repairs. Good luck, either way.

Which is why I'm going to be borrowing a friend's Wii, to make sure it isn't the disk, and if it isn't I will play through other M on his wii before sending in my wii for repairs.