PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Mounted Barbarian build?

Flickerdart
2010-09-16, 09:03 PM
Mounted Fury (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031125a) allows a barbarian to share his rage with a mount that he is riding. Barbarians get Ride and Handle Animal in-class, allowing them to train and subsequently ride all sorts of fun beasties. Barbarians also get a whole bunch of stuff that happens on a charge, and the rules text ("If you make an attack at the end of the charge, you receive the bonus gained from the charge.") can be interpreted to mean that the barbarian gains all the bonuses associated with charging even if it's his mount that's doing the charging.

However, I've never seen anyone actually combine all of this stuff in a single build. Surprise me, Playground.

The Gilded Duke
2010-09-16, 09:39 PM
I don't think non rage associated abilities would pass over to the mount.

The scariest build that comes to mind would be a Lion Totem Barbarian with the Wild Cohort feat to get a dire tiger as an animal companion. Use a valorous lance. Rage gaining bonuses for both the dire tiger and the barbarian, and then both the tiger and the barbarian will full attack as part of a ride by attack.

Although.. I find the idea of a bear warrior war shaper with this hilarious. Or a frenzied berserker.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-09-16, 10:56 PM
Although.. I find the idea of a bear warrior war shaper with this hilarious. Or a frenzied berserker.

Unfortunately, when all the enemies are dead, that poor mount is gonna be the closest living thing to a FRENZIED BERSERKER.

herrhauptmann
2010-09-16, 11:00 PM
Or a frenzied berserker.
Here's what I'm imagining:
FB goes riding into battle, and eats a long range spell for such high damage he can't make the will save and enters a frenzy early. Closest creature to attack is the mount (same square), all enemies are 50ft away or more.

How about if you do some of the crazy stacking rules for mounts. There was a thread recently, something like a halfling riding on a pony (awakened), which rode on the back of a rhino, etc. :)
Not that I'm agreeing with the infinite stacking that keeps getting mentioned, but it'd be right for a goofy game.

edit:
Thank goodness the mounts rage ends when you dismount (get thrown). I imagine a FB getting knocked from the back of his warbeast, and promptly getting thrashed. Everytime he tries to stand, his frenzied mount gets an AOO, and it gets a full attack sequence. He's stuck with a single attack any time he tries to stand up.

Amphetryon
2010-09-16, 11:11 PM
Use a Halfing Druidic Avenger (from UA and the SRD) for Rage, Wild Cohort, Wild Plains Outrider, etc etc. Raging Supermount.

gorfnab
2010-09-16, 11:20 PM
One build I've seen done before was Ranger 4/ Horselord Barbarian 4/ Beastmaster 2/ Bowman Charger 10

Horselord Barbarian is in Dragon #338. Bowman Charger is in Dragon #325.

Human
1. Ranger - Weapon Focus: Composite Shortbow, Point Blank Shot, Skill Focus: Handle Animal, Mounted Combat, 2x flaws
2. Ranger - B: Rapid Shot
3. Ranger - B: Endurance, Mounted Archery
4. Ranger - ACF Champion of the Wild (CC) - B: Precise Shot
5. Horselord Barbarian
6. Horselord Barbarian - Ride By Attack
7. Horselord Barbarian
8. Horselord Barbarian
9. Beastmaster - Natural Bond
10. Beastmaster
11. Bowman Charger
12. Bowman Charger - Manyshot
13. Bowman Charger - B: Improved Mounted Archery
14. Bowman Charger
15. Bowman Charger - Improved Precise Shot, B: Weapon Specialization:
16. Bowman Charger
17. Bowman Charger - B: Improved Critical
18. Bowman Charger - Penetrating Shot, Ranged Weapon Mastery, or Extra Rage (set to Battle Ecstasy)
19. Bowman Charger - B: Greater Weapon Specialization
20. Bowman Charger

12th level effective druid for animal companion benefits at level 10 = +2 ranger + 2 horselord + 3 nature bond + 5 beastmaster. If you really want Improved Uncanny Dodge you could give up a level of Beastmaster for Horselord. However your effective druid level would drop to 11 meaning that you would loose out on the extra 2 HD, +2 Nat Armor, +1str/dex, and +1 skill trick for the mount. Sadly Bowman Charger does not advance your effective druid level. For the mount I would suggest a Magebred (ECS) Heavy Warhorse. For your favored enemy the Arcane Hunter variant from Complete Mage is always a good choice. For your bow I would suggest +X Force (MIC) Splitting (CoR) Serren Wood (BoED) Elven Craft (RotW) Mighty +X Composite Shortbow.