PDA

View Full Version : DnD 3.X Great Adventures Archive

ShriekingDrake
2010-09-16, 09:03 PM
I'm hoping, here, to begin a place to herald our favorite 3.X adventures. In particular I thought we'd establish a thread where we can share what we liked from magazines (Dungeon, Dragon, etc.) or 3rd party fare. Most of the standard Wizards' stuff has been discussed a lot, so I thought a place for the magazine and 3rd party (including 3rd party publishers and free/pay stuff on the web, etc.) adventures would be good.

To make things easy for others to find and to know whether the recommendations would be of interest, I thought we could do more than just list a name. I was thinking something like this for a format (which I'll demonstrate with my first recommendation, below.)

Mad God's Key by Jason Bulmahn (Level 1-3rdish)
Dungeon Magazine #114 pp.18-39
This adventure is a superb way to start a campaign. The party is on the hunt for a key, which takes them through various adventures and scenarios and eventually leads them beyond the city to the lair of the plot's antagonists.

This adventure is VERY well-written and conceived. It creates fun opportunities for both the players and the DM. There are opportunities for creative detective work from the players, solid role-playing, hack and slash, and event based encounters.

The adventure has a fast pace, but with opportunities for detailed adventuring from the players. It makes use of some rules and concepts many other adventures overlook. We finished this adventure in about 3 gaming sessions and it served as the foundation for an outstanding set of adventures to follow. I know that my players found this adventure to be among the best and most memorable of this particular campaign. The adventure was written for Greyhawk, but need not be used there--we didn't.

DM's eyes onlyThe adventure begins with the party coming across a crime scene, in which they have the opportunity to intervene or to observe. From this they learn of a larger plot and the opportunity to dive into the pursuit of a missing key. This takes the party down to the town's wharf, where the adventure really takes off.

This adventure has something that many adventures overlook, a classic chase--and this one takes place on barges and boats moored in a busy port. The chase scene is right out of the movies, and happens early in the adventure, setting the tone for what's to come.

The party then pursues the Green Dagger Gang, a local group of miscreants who've become bound up in a larger plot. The player's invade their hideout and face some traps and the thieves themselves. From their they follow the trail to a theft at a library and to the temple of Boccob, where the barty begins to hunt down a mysterious pendant.

Their pursuit of the pendant leads them to an ancient Tomb, where they have the opportunity to face creative opposition and recover the missing key.

Overall, the adventure is fast-paced and appeals to the indiana Jones/Romancing the Stone adventurer in us all.

ShriekingDrake
2010-11-08, 10:59 PM
No bites!!!

Elfin
2010-11-08, 11:17 PM
Red Hand of Doom. Without a doubt.

I thought Expedition to the Demonweb Pits was great, and Barrow of the Forgotten King was fun, too.

dsmiles
2010-11-09, 05:32 AM
I'm thouroughly enjoying Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, though it has been put on hold until Christmastime.

Eldan
2010-11-09, 05:55 AM
Desire and the Dead, by Armoury99 and the nice people over at Planewalker. 150 pages of solid awesome, though I like putting a little more work into fleshing out the already awesome NPCs. A word of warning, though: it's more a lose framework of random encounters, tons of NPCs and an overarching plot, and it's assumed that the PCs take a lot of action on their own. It also helps to already know a lot about Planescape and especially Sigil.

ShriekingDrake
2011-02-02, 11:24 PM
Thanks. I'll check those out.

I just came across one that is showing potential. It's called Meenlock Prison. I'll report on it once I've read through it.

Kol Korran
2011-02-03, 05:48 AM
just as a suggestion. you could perhaps put in the first or second post a sort of table or summation of the suggestions so far. it could have the following:
- publisher/ source
- price (if any)
- suitable for levels ...
- campaign setting (FR, Eberron, Planescape, Greyhawk
- maybe a synopsis in a sentence or two
- most importanlty- a link to the post where it is proposed/ discussed

and here's to having a great useful archive!

ShriekingDrake
2011-02-05, 12:26 PM
just as a suggestion. you could perhaps put in the first or second post a sort of table or summation of the suggestions so far. it could have the following:
- publisher/ source
- price (if any)
- suitable for levels ...
- campaign setting (FR, Eberron, Planescape, Greyhawk
- maybe a synopsis in a sentence or two
- most importanlty- a link to the post where it is proposed/ discussed

and here's to having a great useful archive!

Excellent idea. Will do shortly.

9mm
2011-02-05, 12:36 PM
Souls for Smugglers shiv (haven't played the rest of the Sepents skull path but it's an excellent start)
System; Pathfinder
Champaign setting: Glarion, though the start can be anywhere for the most part.
What happens: You get shipwrecked, make friends with some cannibals, and find some evil mojo. Also, reminds PCs that planning ahead is a good thing, less they spend 3 days trying to rest up hitpoints

Also my friends are raving about the Kingmaker adventure path.