PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Feats for Pathfinder Mystic Theurge

Grifthin
2010-09-17, 04:14 AM
I've rolled up a Pathfinder character. I'm currently Cleric 2/Sorceror 1. I'm getting enough XP to get to level 4 and I'm looking to class to Mystic Theurge. Equipment is almost non existent and the same goes for money (desert island type setting). I took the infernal bloodline - and pathfinder books are allowed. What feats do you guys and gals recommend ? I have combat casting and Extend spell so far.

BobVosh
2010-09-17, 05:14 AM
Quick, take the retrain levels feat!

*ahem* Arcane...knowledge? Gives you additional spells known for, well, any class with a spell known list. In the new book, advanced player's guide.

Are any feats allowed, or just PF ones? SF: your favorite school is always nice, along with GSF. Especially since you have 2 castings of such.

May want to hold off on arcane...lore? until you can cast 2nd level spells, as it gives 2 lower than your highest vs 1 at your highest.

Grifthin
2010-09-17, 05:35 AM
Just pathfinder feats.

Starbuck_II
2010-09-17, 05:45 AM
I've rolled up a Pathfinder character. I'm currently Cleric 2/Sorceror 1. I'm getting enough XP to get to level 4 and I'm looking to class to Mystic Theurge. Equipment is almost non existent and the same goes for money (desert island type setting). I took the infernal bloodline - and pathfinder books are allowed. What feats do you guys and gals recommend ? I have combat casting and Extend spell so far.

I'd still try to craft something. Money is commonly accepted currency. If everyone accepts coconuts you should be able to craft with those instead of gold pieces.

Snake-Aes
2010-09-17, 05:47 AM
Just pathfinder feats.

He meant expanded arcana, and the advanced player's guide is a Pathfinder product.... I can't help you on this one. Multiclassing away from sorcerer tends not to be any worth it.

BobVosh
2010-09-17, 05:48 AM
Also...why do you have extend spell? Just preparing for the future?

Grifthin
2010-09-17, 06:46 AM
I have extend spell because the island is exceedingly lethal so having a plus 4 to AC 4 hours instead of 2 hours saves lives (seriously) - there's almost no tools, no basic survival gear, you start naked (well you have a robe). So extended effects are fantastic. Extend is mostly for grabbing buffs. It's also been useful for creating traps that rely on temporary magic's and some cleric spells.

BobVosh
2010-09-17, 06:49 AM
You are a first level sorcerer, you can't cast an extended mage armor. That is a second level spell.
http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/feats.html#extend-spell
An extended spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell's actual level.

Don't get me wrong, I love extend. However right now you can only extend a cantrip.

DragoonWraith
2010-09-17, 09:54 AM
The Pathfinder Mystic Theurge is somewhat better than the 3.5 version. It's still awful, however. You would be much better off as a single-classed representative of either of your base classes.

That said, the PF Mystic Theurge does open itself to some interesting ideas, if you're prepared/spontaneous, as you are. But you need to convince the DM of a few things:
It should require only 1st level spells on one side (Arcane, in your case), possibly paired with an Ultimate Magus (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20061010a&page=3)-like spellcasting progression
Combined Spells needs to not increase the spell level by 1 (honestly, wtf?)
Spell Synthesis needs to be more than 1/day - 1/encounter would work nicely, which generally comes out to 4/day. It should also probably appear somewhat earlier in some limited form - perhaps 1/day at 1st, 2/day at 4th, 3/day at 7th, and 4/day at 10th. Possibly with a spell level restriction (the spells cannot be of a level either than one less than your class level, perhaps).
If you can add these changes, the class becomes quality. Otherwise, you probably shouldn't bother.