PDA

View Full Version : McDonald's Serves Customer A Used Burger

Pages : [1] 2

Isolder74
2010-09-17, 04:28 AM
Link (http://consumerist.com/2010/09/mcdonalds-serves-customer-a-used-burger.html)

Short URL: http://con.st/10011166
AT LEAST THERE WEREN'T MAGGOTS
McDonald's Serves Customer A Used Burger
By Chris Morran on September 16, 2010 2:30 PM

(Lovely County Citizen)

If car companies and Ikea can make money selling pre-owned products, why not McDonald's? Oh yeah... that would be disgusting. Just ask the Arkansas man who was sold a pre-owned, pre-bitten burger.

According to a local news report, the customer and his wife purchased a pair of angus burgers at a McDonald's drive-thru. But when he opened up his burger box, he saw he'd been served a cold sandwich with a big chunk missing from it.

So he went back to the McDonald's and spoke to the manager, who he says told him, "I'd like to go into the kitchen and find out who did this and talk to him."

The customer says the manager then confessed that his burger had previously been sold and returned by an unhappy customer earlier in the day. The manager apologized for the error.{Error? ERROR!!!! This is downright willful and unreasonable!}

As proof of the gross gaffe, the customer had the manager sign his name to the refund slip.

"I have several avenues in mind of making this the most expensive hamburger they ever sold," said the customer, who in addition to being a minister, "was in the restaurant business for twenty-five years, and my concern is that they not do this to anyone else. It's a health concern."

Among the avenues the customer has in mind is sharing his story with the Arkansas Department of Health. He also plans to take his concerns to McDonald's corporate level.

"I wish I could just throw it in the trash, but then I'd feel bad if it continued to happen and someone got sick because I didn't speak up," he says. "There's enough negativity in this world without spreading more, so we try to stay positive; but this McDonald's has been a mess for years."

Not lovin' it! [LovelyCitizen.com]

As an avid foodie, I just had to post this one when i found it. This is absolutely inexcusable! This sort of thing should never ever happen to any customer of any restaurant anywhere i don't care how low you want to lower the bar. I hope the board of health closes this place down so fast their heads spin!

I'm going to go throw up now.

Skeppio
2010-09-17, 04:33 AM
What

the

hell?

ghost_warlock
2010-09-17, 04:52 AM
Hm. This seems as an appropriate a place as any to drop this off...

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/64841395-65f6-469a-801c-9319999e1701.jpg

Runestar
2010-09-17, 04:56 AM
What was going through the manager's head? If it hadn't been eaten yet, I can see, but it has a super-conspicuous bite mark on it. Did he really expect to get away with it? :smalleek:

Kislath
2010-09-17, 05:21 AM
I'm afraid this is only tip-of-the-iceberg stuff. You'd have to be crazy to ever eat at McDonald's. I REALLY wish I could tell you more, but I can't on account of a gag order. ( which itself should give you a hint of how bad things really are )

Rowsen
2010-09-17, 06:45 AM
Now why would you do that? If the first guy didn't like the burger, what are the odds the second guy will?
Or am I missing the point here?

Concrete
2010-09-17, 06:49 AM
Places like that would benefit from explosions.

truemane
2010-09-17, 06:58 AM
Hang on, hang on. Are you trying to tell me that the food at Mcdonald's is unhealthy? And that the impetus for the corporation isn't to produce quality food? But rather to simply produce at any cost? And are you further trying to imply that the employees at McDonald's might not be of the highest calibre?

Pfft. Next you'll tell me it makes you fat and we'll just be in crazy town.

:smalltongue:

Kneenibble
2010-09-17, 07:07 AM
McDonald's doesn't make people fat, truemane muffin. People make people fat.

Eldan
2010-09-17, 07:20 AM
Hang on, hang on. Are you trying to tell me that the food at Mcdonald's is unhealthy? And that the impetus for the corporation isn't to produce quality food? But rather to simply produce at any cost? And are you further trying to imply that the employees at McDonald's might not be of the highest calibre?

Pfft. Next you'll tell me it makes you fat and we'll just be in crazt town.

:smalltongue:

Of course the food is healthy. They sell salads and fresh fruit now.
You know, for health concious customers :smallbiggrin:

ghost_warlock
2010-09-17, 08:01 AM

Wait...so McDonald's food is people!? :smalleek:

That, actually, makes a lot of sense...probably better for the environment, too.

Skeppio
2010-09-17, 08:04 AM
Well, that certainly does explain the new McSoylent and all the ominous cackling in the ad for it. :smalltongue:

ScottishDragon
2010-09-17, 08:26 AM
Of course the food is healthy. They sell salads and fresh fruit now.
You know, for health concious customers :smallbiggrin:

Some of the salads are worse than the burgers.:smalleek:

Skeppio
2010-09-17, 08:30 AM
See, this is why I don't eat there anymore. But that means I ate there in the past!!! IT'S TOO LAAAAATE!!! :smalleek:

Winthur
2010-09-17, 08:37 AM
:smallyuk:

I liked McD milkshakes until I heard one word from a friend, just one word.

C***shake.

Skeppio
2010-09-17, 08:38 AM
I've never been more grateful to have never drank a McDonalds milkshake. :smalleek:

Ignition
2010-09-17, 08:57 AM
You know, I read the title of this thread, and was like "Used for what?" And my mind boggled at the sheer disgusting range of ideas I came up with. Pre-bitten wasn't one of them, and it certainly wasn't the worst of them, but that's pretty bad.

Deth Muncher
2010-09-17, 09:36 AM
F'what. This is ridiculous.

Flickerdart
2010-09-17, 09:59 AM
Selling used hamburgers is the same as piracy! People should buy hamburgers new, so that the devs make money!

Wait, wrong thing.

mangosta71
2010-09-17, 10:18 AM
Link (http://consumerist.com/2010/09/mcdonalds-serves-customer-a-used-burger.html)

"I have several avenues in mind of making this the most expensive hamburger they ever sold," said the customer, who in addition to being a minister,

That's a very vindictive statement for a man whose job description supposedly includes "turn the other cheek". He should have phrased it differently if his goal is to get the Health Department involved in cleaning the mess up (which, I agree, is appropriate).

From the manager's point of view, he was probably informed by the cashier that a burger had been returned by an unsatisfied customer, but assumed that the cashier had thrown it away (which I assume is their policy) instead of putting it back in line to be served to someone else. What it most likely comes down to is a minimum-wage part-time high school student screwing the pooch, and now the lawyers are going to force the whole corporation to admit liability, which may in the short-term improve health issues, but in the long-term they'll just slip back to where they are now. However, it will also have the effect of driving their prices up, which means that their competitors will feel safe in increasing their prices as well. Congratulations - in a year we'll be paying 20% more for the exact same food that we're getting now.

truemane
2010-09-17, 10:23 AM

They do. By eating McDonald's (inclusively, not exclusively).

And I like it when you call me muffin... :p

Pyrian
2010-09-17, 10:41 AM
I'm with mangosta71 - the notion that this was done wilfully and purposefully strikes me as kind of ridiculous, especially given how easy it is to imagine it being a mistake in a busy kitchen. The returned burger should've been thrown away, but instead it got left in its box on a counter, and then someone stuffing an order assumed it was for them and grabbed it.

The Bushranger
2010-09-17, 10:45 AM
That...is disgusting.

Alas, we pretty much have to eat at MickeyD's. Is cheap. CHEAP. And the tea's good too. But still...

We'll never shop for meat at the local Winn-Dixie, though.
Since, a number of years back, a lady in the meat department got canned, she claimed for whistle-blowing.
For blowing the whistle...on the meat department manager...ordering her to take meat that had been thrown in the trash as no good, out of the Dumpster and to put it back on sale.

:eek:

Eldan
2010-09-17, 10:53 AM
McDs really isn't all that cheap, if you think about it. It's not filling and the portions are small. Cooking yourself really is a lot cheaper.

The Bushranger
2010-09-17, 10:55 AM
Yup. But comparing a pair of 49-cent burgers to a $2.00 pack of ground beef, even if the latter goes further, the former is cheaper right now. :smallfrown: (Plus with the latter you have to add the cost of the buns, which can be more than the actual cost of the meat. :smallyuk: )

Jack Squat
2010-09-17, 11:03 AM
We'll never shop for meat at the local Winn-Dixie, though.
Since, a number of years back, a lady in the meat department got canned, she claimed for whistle-blowing.
For blowing the whistle...on the meat department manager...ordering her to take meat that had been thrown in the trash as no good, out of the Dumpster and to put it back on sale.

I couldn't find anything in a search, about how long ago did it happen? If she got fired over this, I'm sure it would have made media.

Not to say this didn't (doesn't) happen. In the chain I work for, less profitable stores will remark bakery goods that have gone past their original expire, and the produce sits around for awhile after it should be pulled. Never heard about it happening with meat, but I wouldn't be surprised.

mangosta71
2010-09-17, 11:13 AM
Brown a pound of ground beef. Stir a quarter of that into a batch of ramen noodles, freeze and save the rest for another day. Maybe shred a carrot into the noodles, too. Add a little broccoli and/or cauliflower. Maybe a little red pepper. Now remember that, since you saved most of the meat, you can do this 3 more times. Now consider that the total cost for 4 of these meals is less than you'd spend on a single Big Mac. It's also considerably healthier, and (imo at least) tastes better.

If you're making burgers on a budget, just use regular sandwich bread - you're probably buying it anyway, and it's cheaper and goes farther than a package of buns. If cost is a concern, it's always cheaper to make your own food. This isn't even a long-term return - you'll start saving money the first week.

The Bushranger
2010-09-17, 11:14 AM
It was eight or ten years ago. Our dinky little weekly county paper didn't even have a website until two yers ago.

If you want to see somewhere truly horrific, though, you'd go in the Tallahassee Big Lots store. :smallyuk:

@Mango: Heh, true, and I agree. Alas, I'm not the one making the food-buying decisions. :smallannoyed:

@v I remember reading about Food Lion doing that here...

Teddy
2010-09-17, 11:15 AM
We had a scandal here in Sweden where meat which had reach its expiration date, but which the employees still thought was fresh enough to sell, was repacked and given a new expiration date, to be placed in the shelves again. It it wasn't just in one store they did this, either.

Tirian
2010-09-17, 11:18 AM
I'm with mangosta71 - the notion that this was done wilfully and purposefully strikes me as kind of ridiculous, especially given how easy it is to imagine it being a mistake in a busy kitchen. The returned burger should've been thrown away, but instead it got left in its box on a counter, and then someone stuffing an order assumed it was for them and grabbed it.

I mean, it could happen if the manager weren't trained properly. But as an ex fast food manager myself, you throw the food away*. You do it in front of the customer. That's helpful. Ugh, you say, let's put this garbage where it belongs, and now that it is our of our sight let's talk about how to make this right.

I agree that it is unlike to be a willful mistake, but the shift manager's job is to willfully prevent mistakes like this from happening, and that store and every other one in its region will pay for it in terms of lower sales and probably spot checks from the county health inspector. (Assuming this story actually happened. It's not hard to make up a story about a filthy fast food restaurant when you don't include any names, locations, or dates.)

* The only other option is that you can allow the customer to keep the food as long as it's a misorder. I mean, if someone orders a salami sandwich and you accidentally make them a ham sandwich, you can ask if they want to keep the ham sandwich. If they don't want it, you throw it away. Don't make that face. It is NOT perfectly good food from a restaurant's point of view if it has been to the far side of the counter and come back.

Ponderthought
2010-09-17, 12:54 PM
I once got a hamburger with no meat in it from McDonald's. The manager was mortified. Went home with a bag of free hamburgers and im pretty sure someone got canned right there.

Pyrian
2010-09-17, 01:01 PM
I once got a hamburger with no meat in it from McDonald's.How could you tell? :smallbiggrin: bum-dum-bum-pish!

EDIT: Did you ask him, "Where's the beef?" :smallcool:

Tirian
2010-09-17, 01:05 PM
I once got a hamburger with no meat in it from McDonald's. The manager was mortified. Went home with a bag of free hamburgers and im pretty sure someone got canned right there.

That happened to me once at a Jack in the Box. It was one of those absurd specialty burgers with three slices of cheese and five slices of bacon and ranch dressing, so it actually took me a while to realize that the thing that was slightly off was that there was no burger. I didn't get any free food, but the entertainment of watching the shift manager rip into his line staff was worth more. :smallbiggrin:

Dr.Epic
2010-09-17, 01:31 PM
McDonalds was just trying to recycle to help the planet. Also, Simpsons did it.

mangosta71
2010-09-17, 01:40 PM
Never gotten an empty bun before. However, just a few days ago I went out for dinner, ordered a double, and the waitress brought me a triple. I decided not to complain. :smallcool:

The Orange Zergling
2010-09-17, 01:48 PM
I'm not particularly adverse to McDonalds, honestly. They're such a massive chain that sells so much stuff so often that stuff like this is all but guaranteed to happen sometime.

It's most certainly not my favorite food or even fast food but it's (relatively) cheap, warm food that you can get right now if you need/want. Definitely more suited for a snack than a meal, though.

Asthix
2010-09-17, 01:48 PM
This is clearly the ministers fault for eating at Macdonalds.

SDF
2010-09-17, 05:22 PM
I ordered a cheeseburger from McD the other day without pickles. The wrapper had a "double checked for accuracy" sticker on it that held my receipt that said No Pickle. Of course it had pickles on it. I walked back to the counter with the pickled burger and the wrapper. Didn't say a thing, just had a, "really?" look on my face. Got a new burger, an apology, and some fruit pies. I didn't even really care, I mean I could just pick them off, but the double checked for accuracy sticker was just too much.

Dr.Epic
2010-09-17, 05:26 PM
My mom knew someone who at a McDonald's used one of those gumball machines and a cockroach came out when they turned the knob.

Innis Cabal
2010-09-17, 06:05 PM

Did you both also miss the part where he wanted to go into the back of the store and find the person responsible? I've worked in resturants all my working life and honestly...even if the customer was angry, stepping into the kitchen to yell at people just smacks of this guy being rude.

Also, what is a self proclaimed foodie doing worrying about what goes on at a McDonalds?

golentan
2010-09-17, 06:19 PM
I knew there was a reason I never ate there. Or 17 reasons...

Ashtar
2010-09-17, 06:22 PM
In meals McDonald's feeds the equivalent to the population of Spain daily.
Spain 45,555,716 people in 2008 - McDonalds 58,000,000 customers daily in 2008 and that doesn't count the number of meals served per customer.

It's normal that there will be mix-ups and " horror " stories. But yeah, I can understand the guy complaining, but making a absolute crusade about it... Well I'd say it's a bit overblown.

Deathslayer7
2010-09-17, 06:34 PM
overblown? maybe a bit. But do you want a previously eaten burger? I think not. He has the right ideas, but i dont think he's going about them very nicely or in the right way.

He should contact the health department, but be nice about it.

Pyrian
2010-09-17, 06:38 PM
He has the right ideas, but i dont think he's going about them very nicely or in the right way.I don't think he has the right ideas. I mean, clearly McDonald's shouldn't serve a "used" burger, so that's one idea at best, but this guy wants a big, fat payday out of it. He didn't even get burned or anything. ...Honestly, I'm not entirely convinced he didn't take a bite himself and then make the whole thing up, if money is his primary angle.

Mystic Muse
2010-09-17, 06:40 PM
I probably wouldn't eat there anymore after that.

Of course, I don't eat there now so it's not going to happen anyway.

I don't think the guy has the right idea. I think the right idea is "Make them tighten up their standards a bit" so that this doesn't happen to somebody else. Not "They made a mistake. Let's see how much money I can get out of this!"

Runestar
2010-09-17, 06:43 PM
It's normal that there will be mix-ups and " horror " stories. But yeah, I can understand the guy complaining, but making a absolute crusade about it... Well I'd say it's a bit overblown.

I see it more as helping to raise awareness and getting fast food companies to be more stringent about their hygiene and food handling processes.

There are times when I order my drink without ice, the cashier says okay, then proceeds to fill my cup with ice, and I have to call her to pour it back. Or extra vegetables and my burger comes without any at all. Or how they can blithely hand me a packet of fries which is clearly only half-filled and pretend nothing is amiss. And the outlet wasn't even crowded.

I am not trying to whine, but if they can't even remember these small details...:smallannoyed:

The Bushranger
2010-09-17, 06:47 PM

That happened to me once at a Jack in the Box. It was one of those absurd specialty burgers with three slices of cheese and five slices of bacon and ranch dressing, so it actually took me a while to realize that the thing that was slightly off was that there was no burger. I didn't get any free food, but the entertainment of watching the shift manager rip into his line staff was worth more. :smallbiggrin:

Egads, you too? That happened to us at the local Hardee's (on whom be fleas) years ago, when we ordered a bacon cheeseburger and got a "BLT".

Unfortunatly, it was only later that it occured to us we should have said, "where's the beef"...

doliest
2010-09-17, 06:48 PM
I actually like McDonalds; taste better than cooking myself. Faster too. Still, this is disgusting. And Hilarious. :smallbiggrin:

Mystic Muse
2010-09-17, 06:48 PM
what's this "Where's the beef?" joke from?

Deathslayer7
2010-09-17, 06:49 PM
I don't think he has the right ideas. I mean, clearly McDonald's shouldn't serve a "used" burger, so that's one idea at best, but this guy wants a big, fat payday out of it. He didn't even get burned or anything. ...Honestly, I'm not entirely convinced he didn't take a bite himself and then make the whole thing up, if money is his primary angle.

sorry partially right then. I wasn't talking about him getting money out of it, but tightening health standards as already mentioned.

The Bushranger
2010-09-17, 06:50 PM
what's this "Where's the beef?" joke from?

It was a meme before memes were meme-ified! :smallcool:

WHERE'S THE BEEF? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug75diEyiA0)

...and the sequel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aISkVvi5iI8).

Innis Cabal
2010-09-17, 07:55 PM
Another fact to remember is this isn't just the McDonalds Corp. but could very well be a franchise which are under different rules entierly.

Da Beast
2010-09-17, 08:15 PM
Ugh, McDonald's. Don't get me started on McDonald's Horror Stories (http://bestofmotherearth.com/2008/09/24/1996-mcdonalds-hamburger.html). I have the displeasure of working for McDonald's and would never recommend eating there to anyone. You know those new frappés and smoothies they're currently advertising? The wash function on the smoothie machine doesn't work properly so when you order a smoothie you're probably also getting the festering remains of every smoothie that was made in the past week. :smallyuk:

Mauve Shirt
2010-09-17, 08:21 PM
My only horror story is when I ordered a chocolate milkshake at McDonald's once, and got back a cupful of cold corn syrup with some chocolate flavoring in it.

druid91
2010-09-17, 08:22 PM
Places like that would benefit from explosions.

Everywhere would benefit from explosions, it would do wonders for the aesthetic charm of my home if they did a couple bombing runs on it. I mean I already have the rusted out cars, all I need is the shattered pavement and burnt landscape to complete the effect.

jmbrown
2010-09-17, 08:28 PM
I couldn't find anything in a search, about how long ago did it happen? If she got fired over this, I'm sure it would have made media.

Not to say this didn't (doesn't) happen. In the chain I work for, less profitable stores will remark bakery goods that have gone past their original expire, and the produce sits around for awhile after it should be pulled. Never heard about it happening with meat, but I wouldn't be surprised.

A similar thing happened in a chain of grocery stores where they bleached meat to make it look healthier. There was another incident at McDonalds were a store manager ordered a girl to use patties she salted too much and a police officer arrested her for trying to "poison" him.

This isn't McDonalds fault, it's the manager's fault. As far as I know there's nothing in the manual that says "Thou shalt sell all thy patties or be fired!" This is a case of laziness and deceit. The manager doesn't want to take the 5 minutes to cook a new patty and now both his job, his employees job, and several dozen jobs at McDonalds are in jeapardy because this minister will probably accept a healthy cash settlement.

Um... forgiveness, father?

golentan
2010-09-17, 08:37 PM
My only horror story is when I ordered a chocolate milkshake at McDonald's once, and got back a cupful of cold corn syrup with some chocolate flavoring in it.

How is that different from their normal milkshakes?

Cobalt
2010-09-17, 08:39 PM
That is all kinds of nasty. *munches on mcdonalds food*

...What?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-09-17, 08:40 PM
Bah, the only decent things are the apple pies, and last summer they had any size soft drink for only a loonie! Which was awesome. I discovered they even made the soft-serve ice cream taste like rubber. Somehow.

Da Beast
2010-09-17, 08:44 PM
Bah, the only decent things are the apple pies, and last summer they had any size soft drink for only a loonie! Which was awesome. I discovered they even made the soft-serve ice cream taste like rubber. Somehow.

The any size drink for a dollar was a trap. They made drinks cheaper but at the same time raised the price of all their meals to make it balance out to what it was before the special (the drink and the rest of the meal get charged separately). If you ordered your meal with something other than pop to drink, it actually costs more than it would have before they started the drink special.

Pyrian
2010-09-17, 08:44 PM
That is all kinds of nasty. *munches on mcdonalds food*

...What?Yeah, this thread keeps making me crave McDonald's french fries. :smalltongue:

Mauve Shirt
2010-09-17, 08:45 PM
How is that different from their normal milkshakes?

That was actually my point. :smallwink:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-09-17, 08:52 PM
The any size drink for a dollar was a trap. They made drinks cheaper but at the same time raised the price of all their meals to make it balance out to what it was before the special (the drink and the rest of the meal get charged separately). If you ordered your meal with something other than pop to drink, it actually costs more than it would have before they started the drink special.

Ah, but why order a meal? I just got the drink! Maybe some fries...

SensFan
2010-09-17, 09:12 PM
Must be different where you are than in Canada. Here, not only have the prices of the meals not changed at all this summer with the Dollar Drink promotion, but it specifically does not apply if you order a meal.

Pinnacle
2010-09-17, 10:00 PM
Ugh, McDonald's. Don't get me started on McDonald's Horror Stories (http://bestofmotherearth.com/2008/09/24/1996-mcdonalds-hamburger.html).

The old one is exactly the same as the new one, except for the different color and the fact that the old one is deteriorating and the that the old one smells really bad? These must be some new definitions of "exactly" and "same" that I hadn't heard yet.

Also "this is a chemical food"? As opposed to... ?
Nutrition is chemistry, no?

I'm not gonna argue that McDonald's is any good, but that does nothing to convince me of anything.

The Bushranger
2010-09-17, 10:28 PM
I actually preferred the old, "mystery meat" McNuggets to the new, "chunks of white meat" ones. <_<

You're not supposed to want to know what's in a McNugget. To me, that's part of its appeal. :smalltongue:

...yes, I'm weird.

Moff Chumley
2010-09-17, 10:48 PM
I just finished reading Fast Food Nation. My first thought on seeing this thread was, "wait, everything that corporation does and THIS is what people have a problem with"? :smallconfused:

Mystic Muse
2010-09-17, 10:55 PM
I just finished reading Fast Food Nation. My first thought on seeing this thread was, "wait, everything that corporation does and THIS is what people have a problem with"? :smallconfused:

I've never read fast food nation. Does it just deal with McDonalds or fast food places in general?

Moff Chumley
2010-09-17, 10:57 PM
In general, but McDonalds is focussed on. Well, them and the companies that supply them. It's a pretty arresting book, I highly reccomend it.

Mystic Muse
2010-09-17, 11:14 PM
In general, but McDonalds is focussed on. Well, them and the companies that supply them. It's a pretty arresting book, I highly reccomend it.

Okay. *Puts on hold at local library*

Libraries are one of my favorite things ever.

I did see the documentary "Supersize me" which kind of turned me off to fast food though.

Moff Chumley
2010-09-17, 11:15 PM
Supersize Me was pretty small peanuts compared to FFN.

The_Admiral
2010-09-18, 06:40 AM
I remember when my parents brought me to MC Donalds and they gave us an extra big mac i did not complain

2010-09-18, 06:50 AM
the mcdonalds people ****ed up. you dont sell a used product without refurbishing it first! what kind of idiots are they? you replace the sauces, maybe the meat, and the top bun-maybe bottom. the certified used burger program is clearly not meeting its own standards. boycott?

jmbrown
2010-09-18, 07:15 AM
Guys, the used food industry is immoral and decadent. By returning and recycling food you're depriving the corporations of their hard earned money. Please buy new food only or you're just flat out robbing this multi-billion dollar market and that's bad.

Gamerlord
2010-09-18, 07:18 AM
Ewwwwwwwww.

Of course, not all Mcdonalds are bad, I found a fairly nice one....but I have also visited other ones, and I don't need to finish this sentence.

Marnath
2010-09-18, 09:44 AM
I was at Mcdonalds for breakfast today and I'm the only one in my 5 man crew who hadn't thrown up or thought of throwing up by the time the sun rose. Calling that stuff food is too nice. Darn Big Boy not being open at 5 am. :smalltongue:

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-18, 09:47 AM
I've never had a problem with McDonals. Well, I mean I've asked for no Mayo and gotten it, but that negligible.

The Bushranger
2010-09-18, 10:46 AM
Darn Big Boy not being open at 5 am. :smalltongue:

There are still Big Boys out there?! :smalleek:

*grabs Marnath and shakes*
WHERE ARE YOU AND CAN I LIVE THERE?!?!

...*ahem* Sorry. (Frisch's) Big Boy was kinda one of the favourite places to eat when I was a little kid. I still miss them so. :smallfrown:

EDIT: EGAD THERE'S ONE IN FLORIDA (http://bigboyflorida.com) AGAIN.

Serpentine
2010-09-18, 11:26 AM
Neville's Corner Store sells the best hamburgers in Armidale, even before the Hungry Jacks burnt down.

No, I'm not just saying that cuz my boyfriend makes them.

Actually, I don't think I've gotten one since he started...

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-18, 11:41 AM

But is it close to where you live? You know what they say in real-estate (back when it was profitable), "Location, location, location."

Eldan
2010-09-18, 12:41 PM
Yeah, this thread keeps making me crave McDonald's french fries. :smalltongue:

I never understood that. Those soggy, oily things which only taste of salt and wet cardboard?

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-18, 12:42 PM
I never understood that. Those soggy, oily things which only taste of salt and wet cardboard?

Not in America.

Tirian
2010-09-18, 12:44 PM
Neville's Corner Store sells the best hamburgers in Armidale, even before the Hungry Jacks burnt down.

No, I'm not just saying that cuz my boyfriend makes them.

Actually, I don't think I've gotten one since he started...

One of the old ad lines from a good burger joint in my town is "You can get a hamburger for 79 cents somewhere else*, but then you'd have to eat it!" :smallconfused:

Eldan
2010-09-18, 12:44 PM
Ah. Every McDs I've been to over here had those fries. Of course, at least in Switzerland, McD's also really expensive compared to other restaurants. No idea why.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-18, 12:46 PM
Ah. Every McDs I've been to over here had those fries. Of course, at least in Switzerland, McD's also really expensive compared to other restaurants. No idea why.

Expensive? Mickey D's is cheap, cheap, cheap. Like a sandwhich for 4 dollars USD.

Eldan
2010-09-18, 12:58 PM
Yeah, but I can get either a McD hamburger, which is fairly disgusting for 4$, or a better sandwich twice the size from a corner kiosk for 2.50.

Or an entire warm meal on a plate for a little over the cost of a burger, fries and drink.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-18, 01:00 PM
Well, I only eat McD's when I'm going to eat in the car anayway, so yeah.

Marnath
2010-09-18, 01:09 PM

Greenville, Michigan. Or Greeneville, I can't remember the exact spelling. It's a little town that we visited for a couple days. I know it's in business cause we ate dinner there and it was packed. It's just down the road from the Americ Inn. Cheers. :smallsmile:

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-18, 01:19 PM
Was going to see relatives out in the midwest and they had a Big Boys in a place called Richmond, Indiana.

Tirian
2010-09-18, 01:47 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if they imported most of their food to provide a uniform taste experience. It's like you can have two Italian restaurants next door to one another offering the same quality food but one will cost twice as much as the other because all of their ingredients came from Italy.

I recall getting a snack from the Burger King on the Champs-Élysées. My recollection is that the prices were reasonable except for the Coke, which was wickedly overpriced no matter where you went.

Eldan
2010-09-18, 01:54 PM
No, actually, they have gigantic signs saying things like "High quality organic Swiss Beef and Wheat in Our Burgers" out at the moment. No idea why. I still doubt the kind of people eating there are the least bit concerned about food quality.

Mystic Muse
2010-09-18, 02:07 PM

...*ahem* Sorry. (Frisch's) Big Boy was kinda one of the favourite places to eat when I was a little kid. I still miss them so. :smallfrown:

My favorite were "Captain D's" and "Karen's kitchen." I like seafood and Karen's burgers were absolutely amazing.

SDF
2010-09-18, 02:35 PM

In many ways, Bob's Big Boy never left, sir. He's always offered the same high-quality meals at competitive prices.

Knaight
2010-09-18, 03:03 PM
Yup. But comparing a pair of 49-cent burgers to a $2.00 pack of ground beef, even if the latter goes further, the former is cheaper right now. :smallfrown: (Plus with the latter you have to add the cost of the buns, which can be more than the actual cost of the meat. :smallyuk: )

Meat is a bit pricy. Tap water however is nearly free in the quantities used in cooking, and spaghetti is incredibly cheap by volume if you look at the volume after cooking. Looking at burgers, the ground beef does go further, and as far as buns are concerned, flour is not an expensive ingredient at all (yeast can be, but if you can find a nice big pack it isn't so bad), and my previous point about tap water stands. Though there are places where you can't drink it.

The Bushranger
2010-09-18, 04:55 PM
But is it close to where you live? You know what they say in real-estate (back when it was profitable), "Location, location, location."
Alas, no. It's ~5.5 hours away. :smallfrown:

...hey, some of us like soggy, oily fries that taste only of salt.
"Hold the carboard." :smalltongue:

In many ways, Bob's Big Boy never left, sir. He's always offered the same high-quality meals at competitive prices.
Alas, we never had Bob's here. Only Frisch's, all of which closed roundabout 1990. But now there's the New One...

Expensive? Mickey D's is cheap, cheap, cheap. Like a sandwich for 4 dollars USD.
...oh, you mean the Angus.
A $4 burger is not cheap.
It's freaking expensive.
(When you can get two doubles and two orders of fries at the Huddle House right next door to Mickey D's, especially.)
Now, the 49~89-cent burgers, those are cheap.

Meat is a bit pricy. Tap water however is nearly free in the quantities used in cooking,
That assumes you can drink one's tap water.
We can't. Well, we could, if we wanted all the iron and such that's in our well water.
(Or the chlorine in city water if we hooked up to that. :smallyuk:)
Our water is distilled, 89 cents a bottle.

Da Beast
2010-09-18, 05:57 PM
The old one is exactly the same as the new one, except for the different color and the fact that the old one is deteriorating and the that the old one smells really bad? These must be some new definitions of "exactly" and "same" that I hadn't heard yet.

Also "this is a chemical food"? As opposed to... ?
Nutrition is chemistry, no?

I'm not gonna argue that McDonald's is any good, but that does nothing to convince me of anything.

After twelve years the meat doesn't show a hint of decomposition. Whatever they do to that meat makes it so disgusting mold can't grow on it and bacteria can't break it down. That doesn't seem even a little bit gross?

Pyrian
2010-09-18, 06:07 PM
...It's the salt.

Knaight
2010-09-18, 06:24 PM
That assumes you can drink one's tap water.
We can't. Well, we could, if we wanted all the iron and such that's in our well water.
(Or the chlorine in city water if we hooked up to that. :smallyuk:)
Our water is distilled, 89 cents a bottle.

Even with this, something like spaghetti is frequently cheaper than McDonalds. Besides, water bottles are extremely expensive even for bought water, if you buy a much larger container full of water, an option you probably have, it goes down dramatically.

Renegade Paladin
2010-09-18, 06:51 PM
I'm afraid this is only tip-of-the-iceberg stuff. You'd have to be crazy to ever eat at McDonald's. I REALLY wish I could tell you more, but I can't on account of a gag order. ( which itself should give you a hint of how bad things really are )
Why in God's name do you have a gag order over it?

Innis Cabal
2010-09-18, 06:58 PM
I don't think he means a literal gag-order. If you work for the McDonald's Corp. (Even if it's a franchise) and you say anything against the Company, they can take you to court and fire you. You can say what ever you want once you leave the Corp. of course, but employee's are not permited to disclose any sensitive info about the Company, policies, Promotions or other such things under strict and heavy penalty.

arguskos
2010-09-18, 07:44 PM
I don't think he means a literal gag-order. If you work for the McDonald's Corp. (Even if it's a franchise) and you say anything against the Company, they can take you to court and fire you. You can say what ever you want once you leave the Corp. of course, but employee's are not permited to disclose any sensitive info about the Company, policies, Promotions or other such things under strict and heavy penalty.
I'd like to note, before people start raging, that this is hardly unique to McDonald's. Most major corporations have this sort of policy (and if you want to see one that IS rageworthy, check out Apple's :smallsigh:).

Asthix
2010-09-18, 07:46 PM
Yeah but that's still a literal gag order. It's still 'do it and I'll freaking spank you'.

Innis Cabal
2010-09-18, 07:47 PM
And it's not a dumb idea from a legal standpoint either. A Corperation exists on it's image. If that image is bad they are totally sunk. So, also in before people start raging. If you were a Corperation you'd probably do the same thing. People are going to be unhappy when and where ever you go over any and everything. One small snaffu and your company could be sunk. PR teams and laws that prohibit defemation against the company while under it's employ exist for a reason. Customers suck.

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-09-18, 07:58 PM
In addition to which, as a publicly traded company, they are REQUIRED BY LAW to maximize their profits. If that means gag orders, then they must issue them.

EDIT: I have rescinded this post upon request, and apologize to any I have accidentally offended. I meant to attack the policy of the company in question, but seem to have unknowingly attacked people on this forum, and for that I am sorry.

jmbrown
2010-09-19, 01:42 AM
After McDonald's prices sky rocketed around '05 or so I started eating at Steak 'n Shake. It's a "classy" sit down burger diner but they're fast, have good burgers, fantastic ice cream, and they cost as much as having a McDonald's large value meal. It's a shame I can only find the thing in the North East.

arguskos
2010-09-19, 01:44 AM
After McDonald's prices sky rocketed around '05 or so I started eating at Steak 'n Shake. It's a "classy" sit down burger diner but they're fast, have good burgers, fantastic ice cream, and they cost as much as having a McDonald's large value meal. It's a shame I can only find the thing in the North East.
Steak 'n Shake exists here in Ohio, and I know it exists in Dallas, Texas as well. I'm pretty sure I've also seen it along the interstates between Ohio and Texas too. Can't speak for the West Coast though.

Innis Cabal
2010-09-19, 02:05 AM
I've also found that all the one's I've ever eaten at in Ohio were rude with crappy service. The one's in Columbus especially. One even closed at 2 am!! What the hell is up with that?

Frankly, Sonic is the best fast food joint.

Coidzor
2010-09-19, 02:13 AM

It's a tie between them and Rally's for me.

Rally's got the breaded fries, which I like... But Sonic's got the bomb in the drinks and confection department. And they also had battered and fried pickle rings.

Steak 'n Shake exists here in Ohio, and I know it exists in Dallas, Texas as well. I'm pretty sure I've also seen it along the interstates between Ohio and Texas too. Can't speak for the West Coast though.

AFAIK, no steak 'n' shake's on the west coast.

None in Oregon, at least.

They started around Illinois and spread throughout the Midwest and then through the Eastern Seaboard, IIRC.

Serpentine
2010-09-19, 02:15 AM
Meat is a bit pricy. Tap water however is nearly free in the quantities used in cooking, and spaghetti is incredibly cheap by volume if you look at the volume after cooking. Looking at burgers, the ground beef does go further, and as far as buns are concerned, flour is not an expensive ingredient at all (yeast can be, but if you can find a nice big pack it isn't so bad), and my previous point about tap water stands. Though there are places where you can't drink it.I've worked out that I can make my super-delicious spaghetti bolognese, which gets better with freezing, and which is very easy to cook in bulk, for a few dollars (I'm thinking $1.something, or $3.something) Australian per serving. The basic recipe makes 6-8 servings.

Allan Surgite
2010-09-19, 04:10 AM
This is an understandable mistake, but the guy who it happened to seems to be closer to what I consider scorn-worthy. Nevertheless.

And I rarely eat at McDonalds voluntarily. I always feel vaguely ill after eating there; not entirely why, however.

Runestar
2010-09-19, 05:41 AM
And I rarely eat at McDonalds voluntarily. I always feel vaguely ill after eating there; not entirely why, however.

I get that feeling as well, similar to how you feel when you have been eating the same thing too often, have now grown sick of it and the mere mention makes you want to puke.

And this is despite the last time I ate at Macs being a month ago. :smallyuk:

Syka
2010-09-19, 12:19 PM
See the Big Mac Index for variations in price. :)

I rarely eat at McDonald's. I did for a while since it's the closest quick place where I work (both jobs I've worked, actually), but I'm trying to swear off fast food altogether now. Taco Bell is pretty much my only remaining vice and it's dwindling.

That said, ewwwww. Reminds me of a chicken sandwich I got at Denny's. It took me two bites to get to a good part of the chicken and wonder "Why is this still chewy? *looks at sandwich...sees pink chicken* Um, ma'am? My chicken isn't cooked..." Totally raw. :\

mastermind
2010-09-19, 12:30 PM
McDonald's is going green! Yay for recycling! :smallwink:

Allan Surgite
2010-09-19, 12:31 PM
McDonald's is going green!
They've started selling mould?

mastermind
2010-09-19, 12:33 PM
What do you think the "pickles" are?

Allan Surgite
2010-09-19, 12:35 PM
What do you think the "pickles" are?
Picked scabs.

Mystic Muse
2010-09-19, 01:09 PM
I've also found that all the one's I've ever eaten at in Ohio were rude with crappy service. The one's in Columbus especially. One even closed at 2 am!! What the hell is up with that?

Not the one my family went to in Georgia.:smalleek: (We were on our way to a vacation in Florida)

There were GIANT bugs around the place and ants. We weren't willing to eat at that place after seeing them. One almost stabbed me in the Achilles tendon.

My cousin nicknamed them "The Georgia state bird."

I'm aware that it's just that specific one but we don't have one around here anyway.

VanBuren
2010-09-19, 01:14 PM
Not the one my family went to in Georgia.:smalleek: (We were on our way to a vacation in Florida)

There were GIANT bugs around the place and ants. We weren't willing to eat at that place after seeing them. One almost stabbed me in the Achilles tendon.

My cousin nicknamed them "The Georgia state bird."

I'm aware that it's just that specific one but we don't have one around here anyway.

It must be nutritious indeed, for it to let ants grow that big.

arguskos
2010-09-19, 01:47 PM

There's a S&S up on Sawmill Road that's pretty good, and 24 hours to boot. Haven't been disappointed by that one yet.

Sonic is good times though. The best fast food in the country is still Whattaburger, but dammit they only exist in the south. :smallannoyed:

It's a tie between them and Rally's for me.

Rally's got the breaded fries, which I like... But Sonic's got the bomb in the drinks and confection department. And they also had battered and fried pickle rings.
**** yeah, Rally's. :smallamused: God love Rally's.

Flickerdart
2010-09-19, 02:01 PM
I've worked out that I can make my super-delicious spaghetti bolognese, which gets better with freezing, and which is very easy to cook in bulk, for a few dollars (I'm thinking $1.something, or $3.something) Australian per serving. The basic recipe makes 6-8 servings.
Care to share your secret with us lesser beings? :smalltongue:

Mystic Muse
2010-09-19, 02:21 PM
It must be nutritious indeed, for it to let ants grow that big.

The ants weren't the big thing. I should have made that more clear. The big things were giant water bugs.

Isolder74
2010-09-19, 02:28 PM
The ants weren't the big thing. I should have made that more clear. The big things were giant water bugs.

You do have to admit those things do look very scary.

http://naturenet.net/blogs/media/blogs/eating/giantwaterbug.jpg

Cristo Meyers
2010-09-19, 02:33 PM
You do have to admit those things do look very scary.

http://naturenet.net/blogs/media/blogs/eating/giantwaterbug.jpg

It's almost big enough to be a McDonald's burger patty...

...hmmmmm...

Boci
2010-09-19, 02:46 PM

...hmmmmm...

Please tell me you do not work at McDonalds.

SensFan
2010-09-19, 02:58 PM
Likely this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4199993&postcount=1).

Cristo Meyers
2010-09-19, 03:20 PM
Please tell me you do not work at McDonalds.

Nah, you're safe. I work in insurance.

Spent my youth in a Pizza Hut, though. But we actually kept the place clean.

The Bushranger
2010-09-19, 03:27 PM
Mmm, Whataburger. Definitly the best fast-food burgers on the planet. Unless you're in New Smyrna Beach, in which case, it's Pappas'...

...hmmmmm...
No, McDonald's burgers are actually made out of worms (http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/wormburg.htm). :smallwink:

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-09-19, 03:45 PM
As a Seattleite, I'm going to have to proclaim my faith in ****'s burgers. Best fast food anywhere.

golentan
2010-09-19, 05:02 PM
In In'n'Out I trust.

Okay, no. For chains, sure, but there's a hole in the wall about 10 blocks from where I live which offers the best food I have ever tasted. Sadly they're a single store.

Syka
2010-09-19, 05:27 PM
For chain burger joints, I like Checkers the best (I'm pretty sure that's just another name for Rallys, actually). They're fries are awesome. Sadly, the ones in my area have all closed. :( I still make sure to get some Checker's when I visit my sister.

That said, I recently discovered a local burger joint that is pretty much the best burgers evar. They're buns and fries are all home made, nothing is frozen, and you get to choose from a list of 10-12 toppings- all at no extra cost. Pretty much only cheese and bacon cost extra. I love me their swiss, mushroom, and onion burger with A1 sauce. You can also choose from american, cheddar and bleu cheese. <3

Their malt shakes are pretty win, too. The chicken sandwich was underwhelming but...well, it's a burger joint!

Eadin
2010-09-19, 05:47 PM
In Belgium, we only have 2 kinds of fast food joints : McDonalds (I actually never had any problems there, just bit expensive) and Quick (only in Belgium and France, I think)
Quick is awesome. Cheaper than McDo and better burgers with moreand better sauce and veggies !

Oh, we do have these little shops that sell fried food (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friterie)

But I never ever had any problems at McDo. Always clean, custom order is always right etc.

The Extinguisher
2010-09-19, 06:04 PM
I prefer to eat in food courts. It's a little bit better, because malls have slightly higher standards... usually. Also just a wide selection of food.

But my favourite fast food would probably be New York Fries or A&W. You people and you're US fast food places. It's all so very confusing. (McDonalds is pretty cheap though, which is one of the appeals, I guess)

The Bushranger
2010-09-19, 11:04 PM
A&W is delicious. Alas, the closest one is about four hours away. :smallfrown:

For chain burger joints, I like Checkers the best (I'm pretty sure that's just another name for Rallys, actually).

Once, there was Checkers, and there was Rally's. Then they merged, but they remained seperatly branded. About three or so years ago (I think), all the Rally's were re-branded as Checkers.

Serpentine
2010-09-19, 11:37 PM
Likely this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4199993&postcount=1).Thanks for saving me the effort :smallcool:

arguskos
2010-09-20, 12:49 AM
Once, there was Checkers, and there was Rally's. Then they merged, but they remained seperatly branded. About three or so years ago (I think), all the Rally's were re-branded as Checkers.
Nope! There's a Rally's, an actual Rally's, down the road from me. :smalltongue: Also, in St. Louis, I know for a fact there are Rally's, as of like 14 months ago. :smallwink:

The Extinguisher
2010-09-20, 01:05 AM
A&W is delicious. Alas, the closest one is about four hours away. :smallfrown:

Unfortunate. You can have some of ours. There's a million of them just in the south half of the city.

Although your crazy US geography always confuses me. Four hours away is pretty crazy far. I'm not sure whether that's just a really big city, or a dozen or so towns down the line.

golentan
2010-09-20, 01:10 AM
Unfortunate. You can have some of ours. There's a million of them just in the south half of the city.

Although your crazy US geography always confuses me. Four hours away is pretty crazy far. I'm not sure whether that's just a really big city, or a dozen or so towns down the line.

Depends where you are. In many cases it's all the way in another state, much less another town.

In LA, it's half a mile by highway.:smalltongue:

arguskos
2010-09-20, 01:11 AM
Well, four hours is probably a different state, or the faaaar side of the state you're in. Hell, Ohio (where I live) isn't exactly small, but it takes about four hours to cross the entire state, edge to edge.

Likely, if Bushranger has a specific time like that, it's the nearest fairly large town (such as a major college town or some city of note like Detroit or Chicago or something).

Also, we have A&Ws. They're not prolific though, a fact for which I am pleased, since they're frankly pretty terrible. Can't speak for overseas though, they might be better over there.

Eldan
2010-09-20, 08:28 AM
Thanks for saving me the effort :smallcool:

I add some carrots and celery, but that's just a matter of taste.

But how, how, how, can you cook italian food without basil and oregano?

Edit: oh, wait. Mixed herbs. Sorry.

Anyway, my point being exactly that: cooking large quantities for yourself is a lot cheaper. I always have three or four different spaghetti sauces (hey, I like different pestos) and some chilli frozen. Sadly, my curries doesn't handle being frozen all that well.

Serpentine
2010-09-20, 08:31 AM
Tsk. Tsk. Tsk.

And I've thought about adding stuff like that to it, but it's already soooooo tasty that I don't wanna risk it.

industrious
2010-09-20, 08:40 AM
It's all about Five Guys or Fatburger where I live.

Though as my own horror story, at my summer job, I ate at Taco Bell...every days I worked because of the store's location. It was only on the last day that I realized that I could just pack a frozen meal and then use the employee lounge to eat.

The worst hells are the ones that you walk into willingly. :smallfrown:

Knaight
2010-09-20, 08:52 AM
So Five Guys is a chain then. They are very good, as far as burgers are concerned, if more expensive than most.

Zen Monkey
2010-09-20, 09:44 AM
One vote here for Fuddruckers, if you can find one. Buns are baked at the restaurant, and the meat is fresh ground on site as well. Burgers are ordered by choice of meat, weight, and how you want it cooked.

Pyrian
2010-09-20, 10:14 AM
I love Fuddruckers. 'Course, spent almost $12 on just a burger and shake there the other day, but hey...

The Bushranger
2010-09-20, 11:21 AM
Anybody here ever had Cheeburger Cheeburger? Was awesome.
Jungle Jim's was, too...

Well, four hours is probably a different state, or the faaaar side of the state you're in. Hell, Ohio (where I live) isn't exactly small, but it takes about four hours to cross the entire state, edge to edge.

Likely, if Bushranger has a specific time like that, it's the nearest fairly large town (such as a major college town or some city of note like Detroit or Chicago or something).

Actually, instead of being clear across the state, four hours away is less than halfway down the state, from here. :smalleek: Florida's big. Really big. Mind-bogglingly...*cough* anyway. And it's not the nearest fairly large town, alas - we live in a major college town (Florida State)*, it's just that we're in the Panhandle, and all the A&Ws are down in central Florida. (Although as I recall, it may only be 3.5 hours to the closest one, which would be in Ocala, instead of Spring Hill, which is four hours.)

* For varying definitions of 'major'. Tallahassee is a hundred-miles-from-anywhere-else hole, and murder on resturaunts. Krystal, Fazoli's, Miami Subs, Piccadilly, Backyard Burgers, Denny's - all these used to be here, but aren't now. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

THAC0
2010-09-20, 12:53 PM
Four hours would get me.... to the middle of nowhere, still in my own state, and still hours and hours and hours from not being in my own state.

Unless I hopped an airplane. Then I could be Outside in four hours!

arguskos
2010-09-20, 01:09 PM
Actually, instead of being clear across the state, four hours away is less than halfway down the state, from here. :smalleek: Florida's big. Really big. Mind-bogglingly...*cough* anyway. And it's not the nearest fairly large town, alas - we live in a major college town (Florida State)*, it's just that we're in the Panhandle, and all the A&Ws are down in central Florida. (Although as I recall, it may only be 3.5 hours to the closest one, which would be in Ocala, instead of Spring Hill, which is four hours.)

* For varying definitions of 'major'. Tallahassee is a hundred-miles-from-anywhere-else hole, and murder on resturaunts. Krystal, Fazoli's, Miami Subs, Piccadilly, Backyard Burgers, Denny's - all these used to be here, but aren't now. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.
Ooooooh, you live in the Florida panhandle. Yeah, four hours is Jacksonville from Tallahassee, at least it was last time I drove it (I've got family in Jacksonville).

So Five Guys is a chain then. They are very good, as far as burgers are concerned, if more expensive than most.
Five Guys is... divisive. The burger itself is alright, but they commit the CARDINAL SIN of using American cheese. :smallannoyed: My god though, if you love fries, 5Guys has you covered. :smalleek:

One vote here for Fuddruckers, if you can find one. Buns are baked at the restaurant, and the meat is fresh ground on site as well. Burgers are ordered by choice of meat, weight, and how you want it cooked.
Fuddruckers wasn't half bad, but they're all closed here.

Concerning local chains, Graffiti Burger (Columbus, OH) is love on a bun. Burger Island in Dallas, TX, was OMGWTFBBQ amazing.

Knaight
2010-09-20, 02:22 PM
Five Guys is... divisive. The burger itself is alright, but they commit the CARDINAL SIN of using American cheese. :smallannoyed: My god though, if you love fries, 5Guys has you covered. :smalleek:

The fries is a big part, Five Guys isn't nearly as good as local places or what I can make, but if I'm going out for a burger then the fries that come with are relevant. Plus Five Guys has quite a lot of good vegetables and what not for options, the cheese is the only downside. Its just a big one.

Castaras
2010-09-20, 02:33 PM
Fastfood wise, I like Little Chef best. Pity they've disappeared in most places. :smallfrown:

Isolder74
2010-09-20, 02:45 PM
4 hours puts me somewhere near Moab and or Bryce Canyon.

Some states are tiny others are big. Then there is California, Texas and Alaska.

Pyrian
2010-09-20, 02:48 PM
The joke is that if you bisect Alaska into two states, Texas becomes the third largest state. :smallcool:

Syka
2010-09-20, 03:07 PM
BooHissScowl, Bushranger. :smallwink: I'm a Gator girl.

And omg I haven't seen a Miami Subs in YEARS! I loved that place as a kid, but it closed at least a decade ago (probably more like 15 years). Where it used to be is now a Wachovia, lol. Apparently they still exist as I have a friend who found one somewhere in the Gainesville area.

Most of Florida is definitely devoid of the good chains. ALTHOUGH, the presence of Jimmy John's in Gainesville was a huge bonus to my boyfriend. He hadn't seen one since he lived in Illinois. They've got some darn good subs, but I still prefer Publix subs. Yum.

The Bushranger
2010-09-20, 05:18 PM
Three hours is Jacksonville...well, three-and-a-half.

Brooksville, is almost exactly four hours. :smalltongue:

@Syka: Can I get away with saying I was rooting for the Bulls the other week? :smalltongue: I don't mind the Gators too badly though. (At least now that Spurrier isn't there anymore. :smallamused::smalltongue:)

I remember the Miami Subs torwards the end were "crossed over" with Arthur Treachers, and Nathans. The ones here turned into a Zaxby's (good) and the Infiniti dealer's used car lot (boooooooo!). And Florida does seem not to have very much in the way of the good stuff...but Tallahasse's the worst for that.

...at least we have Whataburger. I wish there was a Krystal closer than two hours away, though. Used to be one in Thomasville, but it died a couple years ago. :smallfrown:

We do have Jimmy John's, though - two of them, in fact. But yeah, Publix subs are pretty good. Especially the Cuban. Mmmmm. (Now, if only we had a Sweetbay...)

@v Well, they re-branded all the Rally's here. There didn't used to be a single Checkers, now they're all C > R.

Coidzor
2010-09-20, 05:20 PM
BooHissScowl, Bushranger. :smallwink: I'm a Gator girl.

Well, you know, poodles were invented so you could have an afterschool snack. :smallamused:

NEIN! It's a regional thing.

Also, curse you for making me want breaded french fries.

...Does anyone else bread their french fries or is it just them?

Lord Seth
2010-09-20, 06:06 PM
I'm a Burger King guy myself.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-20, 06:08 PM
Anyone remember a chain called RAX that as presumably put out by Arbys?

The Bushranger
2010-09-20, 06:12 PM
Anyone remember a chain called RAX that as presumably put out by Arbys?

Egads, yes. Rax was my favourite place to eat when I was a kid. :smallfrown:

Cristo Meyers
2010-09-20, 06:14 PM
Fuddruckers wasn't half bad, but they're all closed here.

That's pretty much the story everywhere. Fudd's damn near went under sometime in the spring.

Heh, LadyMeyers actually got an email from their little email club saying that our local place was closing...the day it closed. Five Guys has since moved in. Their burger was...tolerable, I suppose. Nothing special.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-20, 06:14 PM
Egads, yes. Rax was my favourite place to eat when I was a kid. :smallfrown:

OK, so I was out visiting relatives AND I FOUND ONE.

Where? Lancaster Ohio. Sadly, it wasn't quite what I remembered, it went independent when the chain died I guess. Still better then Arbys though.

The Bushranger
2010-09-20, 06:20 PM
Awesome.
Hmm. Seems there's still 13 or so of them. And they're planning a few more.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rax_(restaurant)

snoopy13a
2010-09-20, 07:32 PM
O

Cardinal sin? I thought as cheeseburgers are basically an American invention, American cheese is the standard.

I've never had Five Guys myself. Although, I have heard good things about them.

Knaight
2010-09-20, 07:43 PM
Cardinal sin? I thought as cheeseburgers are basically an American invention, American cheese is the standard.

Its standard low end stuff. American cheese is a low end food, and this is understood by just about everyone, including Americans.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-09-20, 07:45 PM
Its standard low end stuff. American cheese is a low end food, and this is understood by just about everyone, including Americans.

Yeah. When it comes to cheese, I like the good stuff, but mozzarella is my favorite.

Never had a cheeseburger, but 5 guys is really good, if greasy.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-09-20, 07:48 PM
Yeah. When it comes to cheese, I like the good stuff, but mozzarella is my favorite.

Never had a cheeseburger, but 5 guys is really good, if greasy.

Never tried Ementhal on a burger? For shame, it is amazing.

snoopy13a
2010-09-20, 08:00 PM

And a cheeseburger is supposed to be gourmet food?

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-20, 08:01 PM
5 Guys French Fries are the most un-healthy in all of America.

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-09-20, 08:18 PM
And a cheeseburger is supposed to be gourmet food?

They can be. Good ones are. McDonalds burgers? Not so much. Most chains will serve low-quality burgers, but there are good independent restaurants out there that serve gourmet burgers with fancy cheeses.

Krade
2010-09-20, 08:43 PM
While not a burger joint, there is a local restaraunt chain here in Indy called Yats. It's a Cajun/Creole slop over rice place and my GOD, that stuff is amazing. The main one is literally right across the street from where I work and I can't help but eat lunch there almost every day. The best part? It's about the same price as most fast food places and it has better, friendlier service, better music, and usually even faster.

Edit: And the owner is generally recognized as the coolest dude in the city.

Shas aia Toriia
2010-09-20, 08:44 PM
The joke is that if you bisect Alaska into two states, Texas becomes the third largest state. :smallcool:

Then you can go to Canada, where Alaska is still smaller then probably most of their provinces/territories.

Mystic Muse
2010-09-20, 08:59 PM
If American cheese is so bad then what do you guys suggest?

I'm not using Casu Marzu under any circumstances.

Marillion
2010-09-20, 09:11 PM

Bleu, Pepperjack, Cheddar, Swiss, Provolone, Goat...with quality cheese and a well-prepared burger, it's hard to go wrong. As long as you don't pick American :smallfurious:

As for gourmet burgers, there's a restaurant chain here called Red Robin and it is SOOO good. I especially like that burger they do that has pineapple on it. Sure, it's a sit-down place and thus more expensive, but it's totally worth it.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-20, 09:13 PM
Can you get American Cheese in other countries? Most of it is crap, KRAFT product plastic.

Though, I have had some decent American Cheese at a few diners.

THAC0
2010-09-20, 09:17 PM
Bleu, Pepperjack, Cheddar, Swiss, Provolone, Goat...with quality cheese and a well-prepared burger, it's hard to go wrong. As long as you don't pick American :smallfurious:

As for gourmet burgers, there's a restaurant chain here called Red Robin and it is SOOO good. I especially like that burger they do that has pineapple on it. Sure, it's a sit-down place and thus more expensive, but it's totally worth it.

While Red Robin does an awesome job with burger toppings and the like, their actual burgers (the meat part!) are pretty blah. So are their buns.

Not that I am opposed to a Red Robin trip every now and then, of course!

I tend to prefer local joints, though.

Marillion
2010-09-20, 09:47 PM
Really? The RR I go to actually has pretty tasty meat. I could eat their meat by itself. But then, I'm fairly easy to please with meat; as long as it's not well done, I'll eat it.

The Bushranger
2010-09-20, 11:03 PM

Munster, or Colby Jack are excellent. Pepperjack and bleu cheese are good too. Ditto Swiss.

Cheddar is decidely second-tier.
White American is better than Yellow.

Kaiser Omnik
2010-09-20, 11:20 PM
The Works (http://www.worksburger.com/) makes the best hamburgers ever, no discussion. :smalltongue: 67 varieties of burgers on the menu IIRC. Only found in the Ottawa region in Canada, unfortunately.

thubby
2010-09-21, 12:28 AM
there's a little roadside diner around here that has such good burgers that truckers detour to get them. seriously.

bacon chedar bbq burgers. may induce heart attack but SO worth it.

THAC0
2010-09-21, 01:07 AM
Really? The RR I go to actually has pretty tasty meat. I could eat their meat by itself. But then, I'm fairly easy to please with meat; as long as it's not well done, I'll eat it.

I'm pretty picky. :smallsmile:

I generally find RR patties to be thin and grey through rather than plump and pink. Doesn't matter as much because of all the delicious, delicious toppings, though!

Serpentine
2010-09-21, 03:36 AM
Actually, instead of being clear across the state, four hours away is less than halfway down the state, from here. :smalleek: Florida's big. Really big. Mind-bogglingly...*cough*Australia and mainland US are about the same size, apparently.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_W_PA36a63MQ/SZqUog-NXII/AAAAAAAAASs/QnZZYwkPAXU/s320/Aus+on+US+map.JPG

Where you have - what is it, 50-something? - states, we have 6 states and 2 territories.

I scoff at your boggled mind :smalltongue:

edit: >looks at US map<
That's Florida? :smallconfused: It might just barely be the size of Victoria. Victoria's teensy.

thubby
2010-09-21, 04:08 AM
Australia and mainland US are about the same size, apparently.

Where you have - what is it, 50-something? - states, we have 6 states and 2 territories.

I scoff at your boggled mind :smalltongue:

That's Florida? :smallconfused: It might just barely be the size of Victoria. Victoria's teensy.

if we're including virtually unpopulated swaths of land, you missed alaska.

Serpentine
2010-09-21, 04:12 AM
I wasn't (I did specify "mainland US", but that was probably a bad way to put it), but it's still smaller than Queensland, which is only our second-largest state.

Knaight
2010-09-21, 06:09 AM
Maybe the low end yellow stuff Kraft puts out. There is some very, very good cheddar however. I'm partial to Black Diamond's Extra Sharp Aged White Cheddar, but even where I live there is a decent variety to pick from.

Destro_Yersul
2010-09-21, 07:20 AM
Munster, or Colby Jack are excellent. Pepperjack and bleu cheese are good too. Ditto Swiss.

White American is better than Yellow.

I suspect you are getting the wrong kind of 'cheddar'. Anything that's been processed doesn't count, even if it says it's cheddar flavoured. This includes anything in a can, anything that comes individually wrapped, and most varieties of cheese stick.

Proper cheddar is one of my favourite cheeses. There's a brand you can get here called MacLaren's Imperial which is particularly good. Canada only though, I think.

Also, anyone here ever been to Fatburger? They make pretty damn good hamburgers.

Knaight
2010-09-21, 08:02 AM
I suspect you are getting the wrong kind of 'cheddar'. Anything that's been processed doesn't count, even if it says it's cheddar flavoured. This includes anything in a can, anything that comes individually wrapped, and most varieties of cheese stick.

They put cheddar in cans now? Imma go cry myself to sleep.

Krade
2010-09-21, 09:30 AM

It's not big so much as mind-numbingly LONG. Half the distance between here (Indianapolis, IN) and where I used to live (Key West, FL) is Florida. The total distance is around 1400 miles. And just being in Florida reduces your ability to vote properly.

Mercenary Pen
2010-09-21, 10:18 AM

Proper cheddar is one of my favourite cheeses.

Quoted for truth. There's a significant difference between proper cheddar and anything that doesn't quite hit the mark- though coming from Britain I can get decent cheddar in supermarket own brand form... You just need a company that actually knows how to make cheese properly and they need to let the cheddar mature properly. There can be good processed cheeses, but attempts at cheddar are not among their number.

Serpentine
2010-09-21, 10:18 AM
:confused:

This is Florida and Victoria at about the same scale.http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/serpentine16/vicflor.jpgVictoria is... well, our third smallest state/territory, if you include the ACT, but who does?
It takes days to get from one side of Western Australia and probably several others.

I stand by my scoff :smallcool:

Syka
2010-09-21, 10:34 AM
:smallconfused: Yeah, I think the sun numbs our brains so we don't know how to vote.

Anyway, before any of y'all go making burgers with bleu cheese, make sure those dining on said burgers aren't allergic. ;) It's more common than you would think, specifically if someone has a mold allergy. I had just a smidgen of a bleu cheese sauce thing on a sandwich, forgetting I have reacted in the past (since I hadn't had it in YEARS), and ended up not breathing right for 5 hours. :smallsigh: It was only afterwards I made the bleu cheese-mold connection.

Mmm...now I'm craving the burger joint again. Curse you! I've probably eaten there 6-8 times in the last two months, which given their prices is frequently for me.

Also, I don't mind living in Florida if for one reason- Hurricane wings. Best. Wings. Right now, I've stopped with their Category Two sauce, but only because I'm scared above that will ruin the wing experience, lol. There's something like 30+ flavors to choose from.

Pyrian
2010-09-21, 10:37 AM
Then you can go to Canada, where Alaska is still smaller then probably most of their provinces/territories.:smallconfused: I had to go through Canada to get to Alaska in the first place, but that aside, no, Alaska is larger than any of Canada's provinces and all but one of Canada's territories.

(I did specify "mainland US", but that was probably a bad way to put it)We usually call this portion the contiguous forty-eight, or just The 48.

This is Florida and Victoria at about the same scale.Key West is off the bottom of your Florida map. (And yes, it's reachable by car.)

Serpentine
2010-09-21, 10:39 AM
Oh hey. Cool.

But still, it's not all that much longer than Victoria at its longest, and I wouldn't call Victoria "mind-numbingly long" :smalltongue:

Pyrian
2010-09-21, 10:52 AM
Personally, I think your tail is mind-numbingly long. :smallwink:

Destro_Yersul
2010-09-21, 11:03 AM
Yeah, Alaska is the only state that I won't call 'small' :smalltongue:

Krade
2010-09-21, 11:04 AM
We usually call this portion the contiguous forty-eight, or just The 48.

I have never heard it called that before.

Pyrian
2010-09-21, 11:08 AM
*blink* Well, now you have. :smallbiggrin:

Syka
2010-09-21, 12:23 PM
Really? We were taught all through elementary and middle school that it is either the Continental United States, Contiguous United States, or The Lower 48. All three were accepted and taught.

Huh...maybe Florida is good for something...

Pyrian
2010-09-21, 12:31 PM
Wouldn't Continental include Alaska?

I never understood "Lower 48". I mean, lower than Alaska, sure, but not Hawaii, Puerto Rico, or Guam... Anyway, anything with "Contiguous" or "48" is hard to misconstrue.

Pinnacle
2010-09-21, 12:32 PM
We usually call this portion the contiguous forty-eight, or just The 48.

:smallconfused: Who is "we"?

I've lived in two different US states and never heard either of those. "Mainland United States" would probably be the most common. Or Continental.

But still, it's not all that much longer than Victoria at its longest, and I wouldn't call Victoria "mind-numbingly long" :smalltongue:

Long compared to other states? I don't think that's actually true, though my geography skill is rather low. Long compared to how wide it is? I'd more call Florida narrow than long.
US states are on the small side (we did manage to cram 48 of 'em in there, after all), but the comparison was to other states.

THAC0
2010-09-21, 12:33 PM
Those of us up here in Alaska call it "Outside." With a capital "O."

Although, I suppose that technically goes for anything that's not Alaska, not just the lower 48.

Pyrian
2010-09-21, 12:36 PM
:smallconfused: Who is "we"?Well, SoCal, really. :smallconfused: And apparently Florida.

I've lived in two different US states and never heard either of those. "Mainland United States" would probably be the most common.Weird. I've only ever heard "mainland" once or twice, and it suffers from the same problem as continental: it's not immediately clear whether it includes Alaska.

The Bushranger
2010-09-21, 12:42 PM
"Lower 48" is all I've ever heard.

Also, I don't mind living in Florida if for one reason- Hurricane wings. Best. Wings. Right now, I've stopped with their Category Two sauce, but only because I'm scared above that will ruin the wing experience, lol. There's something like 30+ flavors to choose from.
...hurricane wings?

These sound intriguing, and I wish to know more.

Ignition
2010-09-21, 12:45 PM
I hear "the lower 48", "Continental US" or just "The US" most commonly, as if Alaska and Hawaii don't really count :smallwink: Generally speaking, though, the people around here seem to refer to individual states as if they are their own countries, radically different zones which have untold gaps in space-time between them.

Regarding burgers that aren't used, I like Red Robin as well, especially for their steak fries. I most commonly eat at Portillo's - Chicago-area chain which also controls a few other smaller brands - or just make my own burgers, which I prefer in the long run. I like my burgers to be very dry, and most restaurants do not comprehend this - I'm looking at you, Culver's and Buona Beef.

arguskos
2010-09-21, 01:01 PM
American cheese specifically refers to the Kraft singles crap. America produces many fine ementhalers, cheddars, mozzerellas, swisses, and other fine fine cheeses.

I've had that. It's... pungent. :smallamused:

Coidzor
2010-09-21, 01:01 PM
Weird. I've only ever heard "mainland" once or twice, and it suffers from the same problem as continental: it's not immediately clear whether it includes Alaska.

Well, there's always Contiguous.

...Why did we start comparing the lengths of the various countries' manhoods?

mangosta71
2010-09-21, 01:42 PM
We have those phrases in AR, too.

arguskos
2010-09-21, 01:52 PM
Well, there's always Contiguous.

...Why did we start comparing the lengths of the various countries' manhoods?
...why wouldn't be be doing that though? :smallbiggrin:

Syka
2010-09-21, 03:11 PM
"Lower 48" is all I've ever heard.

...hurricane wings?

These sound intriguing, and I wish to know more.

I'll email err...PM you. :) Suffice to say, they are awesome.

Surprisingly, I found Pizza Hut's wings to not be horrible. That very much surprised me.

Destro_Yersul
2010-09-21, 03:38 PM
I went to a restaurant called Wings, once. They had the hottest wings I've ever eaten. Had to sign a release form before they'd serve us the things.

They were really, really tasty, but they made my organs roil.

Knaight
2010-09-21, 03:39 PM
American cheese specifically refers to the Kraft singles crap. America produces many fine ementhalers, cheddars, mozzerellas, swisses, and other fine fine cheeses.

None of which have Kraft written on them. That company is nothing but trouble if you want good food. If you want cheap, they suddenly have a virtue. Kind of. On occasion.

arguskos
2010-09-21, 03:41 PM
I went to a restaurant called Wings, once. They had the hottest wings I've ever eaten. Had to sign a release form before they'd serve us the things.

They were really, really tasty, but they made my organs roil.
Bah! Having drank an entire bottle of Dave's Premium Insanity Sauce (not the standard one, a much hotter special edition), there's not a hot sauce I can't lick. Where was this Wings place?

None of which have Kraft written on them. That company is nothing but trouble if you want good food. If you want cheap, they suddenly have a virtue. Kind of. On occasion.
...they make a passible mac n' cheese I liked as a kid. That's about it honestly.

Eldan
2010-09-21, 03:54 PM

GAAAAARRGH! "SWISS" IS NOT A KIND OF CHEESE! THERE ARE HUNDREDS OF DIFFERENT CHEESES MADE IN THIS COUNTRY AND THEY ARE ALL DIFFERENT!

Sorry. Nerdrage. I'm a cheese geek. Seriously. The only people calling any kind of cheese "swiss" are americans. And "swiss" is mostly american cheese. The few times I've had any "swiss", it tasted like plastic.

arguskos
2010-09-21, 03:57 PM
GAAAAARRGH! "SWISS" IS NOT A KIND OF CHEESE! THERE ARE HUNDREDS OF DIFFERENT CHEESES MADE IN THIS COUNTRY AND THEY ARE ALL DIFFERENT!

Sorry. Nerdrage. I'm a cheese geek. Seriously. The only people calling any kind of cheese "swiss" are americans. And "swiss" is mostly american cheese. The few times I've had any "swiss", it tasted like plastic.
Ok, look, it's just a term, chill the hell out dude. The cheese we're discussing is a version of the Swiss Emmental cheese, a milky white cheese that is typically riddled with holes and has a fairly mild but strong taste. Is that clear enough now? :smalltongue:

Eldan
2010-09-21, 04:00 PM
Oh.

I forgot the smiley at the end, didn't I? :smallredface:

Sorry.

Anyway, typical Emmental of the kind you get, well, in Emmental, is actually quite a bit darker and has a pretty strong smell. It's also crumbly.

arguskos
2010-09-21, 04:09 PM
Oh.

I forgot the smiley at the end, didn't I? :smallredface:

Sorry.

Anyway, real Emmental of the kind you get, well, in Emmental, is actually quite a bit darker and has a pretty strong smell. It's also crumbly.
The category of Emmental is pretty large man. Yeah, that's one type of emmental, but I have room for varieties and variants. :smalltongue:

Eldan
2010-09-21, 04:14 PM
Right. I should have said typical. Variants... hmm. Five or six I can think of right now, but probably more depending on how they are made.

arguskos
2010-09-21, 04:17 PM
Right. I should have said typical. Variants... hmm. Five or six I can think of right now, but probably more depending on how they are made.
Precisely. Not all cheese categories are one specific type of product. Hell, just look at CHEDDARS, which come in something like 20+ varieties. :smallbiggrin:

Also, I like how we derailed the hell out of this thread.

Mercenary Pen
2010-09-21, 04:19 PM
Maybe somebody ought to start a cheese discussion thread?

The Bushranger
2010-09-21, 07:19 PM
Ok, look, it's just a term, chill the hell out dude. The cheese we're discussing is a version of the Swiss Emmental cheese, a milky white cheese that is typically riddled with holes and has a fairly mild but strong taste. Is that clear enough now? :smalltongue:

Now, why am I suddenly imagining a Cheese Elemental?

:smalleek::smalltongue::smallamused:

Isolder74
2010-09-21, 07:24 PM
ooooh! Artists get on that!

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-09-21, 08:11 PM
:smallconfused: I had to go through Canada to get to Alaska in the first place, but that aside, no, Alaska is larger than any of Canada's provinces and all but one of Canada's territories.

The point remains, though, that US States are quite silly in size. Then again, when you look at the Departements of France, now THAT is silly. And wait till you hear someone in England complain about driving far. I drive the equivalent of the distance from the Welsh border to the Wash just to visit my grandparents.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-21, 08:19 PM
All the states are pretty well populated though.

Coidzor
2010-09-21, 08:29 PM
Do the British not have very good roads or something, so travel is slower to travel an equivalent distance as someone would via the Autobahn(sp?) or U.S. Interstate system?

Or do they just have an inflated idea of what distance means due to living on such a miniscule island?

Or am I off-base and it's more because distance driving is unthinkable due to the actually half-decent railway system?

All the states are pretty well populated though.

Err.... Montana. Also, Alaska.

Also: Re: Cheese. I love how Cheddar is the generic cheese in the U.S.

The Bushranger
2010-09-21, 08:31 PM
Do the British not have very good roads or something, so travel is slower to travel an equivalent distance as someone would via the Autobahn(sp?) or U.S. Interstate system?

Or do they just have an inflated idea of what distance means due to living on such a miniscule island?
They have a good system of Motorways, as I recall. I would suspect it's the latter. :smallwink:
No offence to any of you Brits/Scots/Welsh/Ulstermen/Irish/anybodyelsegetawayfromewiththatherrring!

Surely you mean Wyoming. :smalltongue:

Coidzor
Surely you mean Wyoming. :smalltongue:

Who? :smallconfused:

AtlanteanTroll

Also: Re: Cheese. I love how Cheddar is the generic cheese in the U.S.

Beware my use of the word "all" I use it as the word majority.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-09-21, 09:26 PM
Beware my use of the word "all" I use it as the word majority.

Well, that's just wrong, and confusing.

Nevertheless, your point is true: America is generally more densely populated than most parts of Canada.

Eon
2010-09-21, 10:05 PM
ewww :smalleek:

that's kinda disgusting...

(I just ate there yesterday, just fries though.)

On a somewhat related note... A&W is amazing. MMMMmmm Root Beer Floats.

Or Dairy Queen, although they don't have very good food, personally.

(It's amazing how much of a sweet tooth I have but yet still very thin :smallbiggrin:)

Serpentine
2010-09-22, 12:15 AM
US states are on the small side (we did manage to cram 48 of 'em in there, after all), but the comparison was to other states.No it wasn't. The statements were "mind-numbingly long" and "really big. Mind-bogglingly... *cough*". Neither had any reference to other states, and from my reference point such statements are in fact laughable :smalltongue:
Nevertheless, your point is true: America is generally more densely populated than most parts of Canada.Western Australia has an electorate that is bigger than New South Wales, where the majority of Australia's population is. To put it another way: Western Australia has an area of land the size of New South Wales that has approximately the same population as a suburb of Sydney.
Not arguing anything, just sayin' :smalltongue:

Cheese is swell P: but I find those bright orange limp squares of plastic I'm lead to believe is "American cheese" quite horrific.

Coidzor
2010-09-22, 12:58 AM
^: Well, y'know, people generally like to think of their junk as large, and this even extends to the national level... :smallwink:
Well, that's just wrong, and confusing.

Nevertheless, your point is true: America is generally more densely populated than most parts of Canada.

Well, the vast majority of you, especially of integrated citizens, are all living in a narrow band hugging the U.S.

And as for your other point, it's more like we just got lazier the further west we got, with reasonably province-sized states on the eastern seaboard, into states the size of reasonably sized feudal nations in the Midwest, and then finally states that dwarfed major European nation-states in the West proper.

That's what you get when you have a nation on the scale of a continent though.

Jayngfet
2010-09-22, 01:05 AM
As a general rule I only eat at McDonalds when I'm low on time and need to be somewhere. Given that it's almost the only fast food joint downtown since the Dairy Queen closed years ago thats basically any time I sleep in on an important date. I am regretfully a heavy sleeper.

Really though the other major joints I've been to aren't that great in general. A&W is the only other place near there, but it's hella expensive, being upwards of twice what I'll order from McDonalds. Burger King half asses it's non sandwhich portion quite a bit, their onion rings are really kind of a joke and they're usually out of anything that isn't coke. I ate at a Jack in the box a couple of times, the bread-meat ratio was way in favor of the bread.

The only really good chain I've seen was checkers. Mainly because it dropped all pretention and serves cheap food cheap and added spices and sauces to mask what meat and potatoes actually taste like, and made the whole thing around the idea of "get your food and leave".

Serpentine
2010-09-22, 01:05 AM
Pfuh. You have two and a bit countries on your continent, get back to me when you've just got the one!

...alright, I'm done now :smalltongue:

Coidzor
2010-09-22, 01:07 AM
Pfuh. You have two and a bit countries on your continent, get back to me when you've just got the one!

...alright, I'm done now :smalltongue:

Well, we've tried, haha.

Katana_Geldar
2010-09-22, 01:17 AM
Serpentine, you and I both know the best burgers are found at the local take away shop. With a thick meat patty, onion, cheese, lettuce, tomato, egg, bacon and beetroot. YUM! I want one now and won't have one until saturday.

This is why I am so pissed of when McDonald's killed the McOz.

We have burgers gaming night and the best part is that they deliver. Though we do probably get a few strange looks when we tell them its to a church.

Coidzor
2010-09-22, 01:19 AM
Beetroot? Like, pickled beetroot? Or Raw?

Katana_Geldar
2010-09-22, 01:20 AM
From a tin. I think that's pickeled.

And I forgot the tomato sauce!

Used to make burgers like this, and I don't miss it one bit.

Serpentine
2010-09-22, 01:21 AM
Tinned beetroot. Nummy.

And my personal favourite is the cheese, egg and bacon burger (cheese, egg, bacon, big meat patty, tomato, decent amount of lettuce, onion, tomato sauce, beetroot... what you said, really, in fact) from Neville's.
If you can wrap your mouth around it without being at risk of losing the innards, it's not a real burger.

Katana_Geldar
2010-09-22, 01:23 AM
And it needs tro drip so you have juices, and by the time you are finished the bun you have lost half the burger.

That with chips and two 600ml vanilla cokes really make my gaming night.

Serpentine
2010-09-22, 01:26 AM
Good chips. They're generally a bit more hit-and-miss. Fluffy on the inside, crunchy on the outside... Do you prefer plain or chicken salt? Or tomato sauce/gravy/cheese?

Katana_Geldar
2010-09-22, 01:29 AM
NO chicken salt for me, thank you. I associate that with bogans too lazy to open their mouths properly.

Chips and gravy is lovely, but if no gravy vinegar and then salt. Not the other way around as the vinegar washes off the salt. You also need to double-bag the chips if you have vinegar.

But the burger place makes shoddy chips :smallmad:. They overcook them, and I like my chips nice and soft and THICK. Three minutes in the vat and they're nice and crispy.

And the requests we used to get for chips! You'd think they were steak in people saying how they wanted them cooked...

Serpentine
2010-09-22, 01:33 AM
Hehee. That's a very... specific association :smalltongue:

Dunno if I've ever had vinegar chips, although I've heard of it... I think plain salt and gravy are my favourites.

To tie it back to the actual topic: McDonalds can metaphorically suck real burger shops' hypothetical... toes.

VanBuren
2010-09-22, 04:52 AM
ooooh! Artists get on that!

They have existed as part of an NWN mod since early 2003.

Behold. (http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Hakpaks.Detail&id=577)

Coidzor
2010-09-22, 05:07 AM
When you say tomato sauce...

Serpentine
2010-09-22, 05:13 AM
I mean... tomato sauce.
No, it's not the same as ketchup, but it's close enough for me to say "like ketchup".

Coidzor
2010-09-22, 05:17 AM
So what do you call the base for red sauces then?

Serpentine
2010-09-22, 05:19 AM
A different sort of tomato sauce. Probably in practice "tomato pasta sauce", but even more often by the pasta sauce's specific name (e.g. bolognese).

The Succubus
2010-09-22, 05:28 AM

And that's why I stay off the Soylent Green.

Knaight
2010-09-22, 08:08 AM
...they make a passible mac n' cheese I liked as a kid. That's about it honestly.

Try it now and see if that still applies. Of course, I'm biased, mac n' cheese is one of those things I'm reasonably good at cooking (because its easy once you know the trick to it), and even my quickly thrown together lazy mac n' cheese is better than Kraft.

Destro_Yersul
2010-09-22, 08:49 AM
Bah! Having drank an entire bottle of Dave's Premium Insanity Sauce (not the standard one, a much hotter special edition), there's not a hot sauce I can't lick. Where was this Wings place?

Late reply, but they're in British Columbia, Canada. There's a few to choose from. Also, I've had Dave's normal sauce, and these were definitely hotter. Dunno about the special edition. And these weren't even the hottest they make. According to the chef there's an even hotter special kind that's not on the menu. If you ever go, ask for the "Uncle Bobby" wings.

Eldan
2010-09-22, 11:14 AM
Now, why am I suddenly imagining a Cheese Elemental?

:smalleek::smalltongue::smallamused:

Ah. The Elemmental.

I guess the entire nation size and driving thing comes down to habit, mostly. Switzerland is a little over 300km in length, and here people complain about driving two hours. That's so far you only visit your relatives living two hours away once every few months.

Pyrian
2010-09-22, 11:20 AM
I have co-workers who spend two hours getting to work in the morning. And another two getting back...

The Bushranger
2010-09-22, 12:03 PM
Oooh, egg burgers. IHOP's is good. Bacon, cheese, and a fried egg...

Of course, it is a heart attack on a bun. But still. Yummy.