PDA

View Full Version : Falx?

Leon
2010-09-17, 09:16 AM
Is there anything in the various massive array of DnD books that gives stats for a Falx or should i just upsize a Kukri or invert a Scimitar.

Our party has the remains of a Slaughterstone Eviscerator, namely its blades and are looking to make some use of all the preshaped Adamantine. I couldnt recall the name of the weapon at the time but a quick search fixed that. The Falx looks to be a more useful item to have over a sycthe which was the DMs offer at the time.

Yora
2010-09-17, 09:17 AM
The falx is pretty much what a scythe used for combat should look like.

Greenish
2010-09-17, 09:23 AM
I should think that, depending on the length of the shaft, scimitar, falchion or glaive stats would be a pretty good approximation.

Because in D&D, curved blade means high crit range, straight blade is medium crit range, and axes are poor crit range/high crit modifier. :smallcool:

Leon
2010-09-17, 09:28 AM
Ok, Thanks for the quick replies.
Given the size of these things i'd hazard a falchion would be close in size.
Just was wondering if there were anying more than sycthe like etc.

Greenish
2010-09-17, 09:39 AM
Ok, Thanks for the quick replies.
Given the size of these things i'd hazard a falchion would be close in size.
Just was wondering if there were anying more than sycthe like etc.Do you mean "scythe-like" as in by description, or by mechanics (lower damage/very high crit modifier & trip)?

Talenta Tangat is a "curved blade mounted on a short haft", but it does curve the wrong way. Talenta Sharrash also has the head affixed in wrong angle by the picture, though the description would be pretty spot on: it "consist of a sickle-like blade in the end of a long pole". (I've understood the larger falx were polearms.)

Psyx
2010-09-17, 09:44 AM
Use a falchion for Dacian falx and scimitars for smaller ones, I'd say.

Shademan
2010-09-17, 09:51 AM
http://www.gk.ro/sarmizegetusa/ranistorum/site_eng/Images/falx_02.jpg
FALX

http://medieval.stormthecastle.com/images/polearms/scythe.jpg
Warschyte(the kind thats in the PHB)

yeah, theyre pretty much the same methinks

Fax Celestis
2010-09-17, 09:58 AM
...and here I thought someone had a question for me. Silly me, learn to not omit letters.

Keld Denar
2010-09-17, 10:08 AM
Is it bad that I thought the same thing? Then I realized that the L is on the other side of the keyboard from both A and X, so it would be one hellova fat finger to pull off...

tenshiakodo
2010-09-17, 11:17 AM
The Falx is used in a completely different fashion than a scythe, however. It's used to make overhead strikes; it's intended to pierce shields (as shown in the picture) and enemy helmets.

The Dacian Falx, in particular, is often described as a polearm.

Ugh, I better stop before I start sounding like a katana fanboy, lol. I guess there's nothing wrong with using a scythe's stats, although I think a Falx would be a high crit range weapon instead of a high crit damage one.

Fax Celestis
2010-09-17, 11:21 AM
The Falx is used in a completely different fashion than a scythe, however. It's used to make overhead strikes; it's intended to pierce shields (as shown in the picture) and enemy helmets.

Ugh, I better stop before I start sounding like a katana fanboy, lol. I guess there's nothing wrong with using a scythe's stats, although I think a Falx would be a high crit range weapon instead of a high crit damage one.

Take scythe.
Make scythe 17-20/x2 instead of 20/x4.
Call it a day.

Greenish
2010-09-17, 11:34 AM
Take scythe.
Call it a day.That's a higher crit range than any other martial weapon. In fact, I can't think of any exotic weapons with such a high crit range.

So, a keen falx, 13-20/x2. Nifty.

Spiryt
2010-09-17, 11:37 AM
And thus I think that's just a mistake, and 18 - 20 is proper answer :smallwink:

Anyway, take a falchion, call it " falx" - done. Weapon qualities in 3.5 are anyway completely abstract, so you can pretty much do whatever you like with existing stat blocks.

PersonMan
2010-09-17, 11:38 AM
Take scythe.
Call it a day.

I thought we were talking about falxes, not days.:smallamused:

I have nothing more to contribute, other than saying: Yeah, this works.

Greenish
2010-09-17, 11:40 AM
And thus I think that's just a mistake, and 18 - 20 is proper answer :smallwink:I thought it might've been a mistake, but if it's 2-handed slashing weapon, 2d4 18-20/x2, I'd be more inclined to call it "falchion with tripping" instead of "modified scythe".

Oh well, that's just how my head works.

Spiryt
2010-09-17, 11:44 AM
Tripping should go to hell IMO, it overpowers the scythe stat block a bit, and really there's nothing inherently more suitable for tripping in falx than in you average two handed axe.

Fax Celestis
2010-09-17, 11:45 AM
That's a higher crit range than any other martial weapon. In fact, I can't think of any exotic weapons with such a high crit range.

So, a keen falx, 13-20/x2. Nifty.

You're spending a feat on it already. It should be better.

Greenish
2010-09-17, 11:49 AM
Tripping should go to hell IMO, it overpowers the scythe stat block a bit, and really there's nothing inherently more suitable for tripping in falx than in you average two handed axe.But without tripping it would have the same exact stats as a falchion, so suggesting to modifying a scythe into one seems rather superfluous. :smallconfused:

[Edit]:
You're spending a feat on it already. It should be better.Ah, you're suggesting it should be exotic?

Spiryt
2010-09-17, 11:52 AM
But without tripping it would have the same exact stats as a falchion, so suggesting to modifying a scythe into one seems rather superfluous. :smallconfused:

Those are freaking 2 numbers : damage and crit, how does it matter what "modifies " into what? :smalltongue:

Besides, that's exactly what I have said :

Anyway, take a falchion, call it " falx" - done. Weapon qualities in 3.5 are anyway completely abstract, so you can pretty much do whatever you like with existing stat blocks.

Greenish
2010-09-17, 11:56 AM
Those are freaking 2 numbers : damage and crit, how does it matter what "modifies " into what? :smalltongue:Yes, but I was trying to make heads or tails out of Fax's suggestion. (He apparently meant the 17-20 crit range, too.)

And how does it matter? Well, telling someone to modify a scythe's stats until they're identical to a falchion is just silly, and Fax ain't, which caused some confusion for me.

Roland St. Jude
2010-09-17, 11:59 AM
...and here I thought someone had a question for me. Silly me, learn to not omit letters.
I thought we were going to talk about the rare AD&D Module R1 - To the Aid of Falx, so you're not alone in your disappointment. :smallwink:

Fax Celestis
2010-09-17, 12:05 PM
But without tripping it would have the same exact stats as a falchion, so suggesting to modifying a scythe into one seems rather superfluous. :smallconfused:

[Edit]:Ah, you're suggesting it should be exotic?

Absolutely. A scythe, which we are basing it upon, is exotic.

Greenish
2010-09-17, 12:07 PM
Absolutely. A scythe, which we are basing it upon, is exotic.It is? :smallconfused:

(3.5) SRD lists it as a martial weapon, at least.

Psyx
2010-09-17, 12:12 PM
Absolutely. A scythe, which we are basing it upon, is exotic.

Bets? I don't think so, Stiiiiiimpy...

Fax Celestis
2010-09-17, 12:30 PM
Bets? I don't think so, Stiiiiiimpy...

GAH. NWN has ruined my memory. You could probably make it martial, but I'd make it a 18-20. 17-20 as exotic would be neat, and would make taking the feat an interesting option for two-handed critfishers.

Matthew
2010-09-17, 12:36 PM
I thought we were going to talk about the rare AD&D Module R1 - To the Aid of Falx, so you're not alone in your disappointment. :smallwink:

Ha, you know I never made that association before. The number of threads started with something similar to this title over the years clued me in straight away, but I love the monochrome front cover of R1:

http://www.rpg.net/pictures/show-water.phtml?picid=2373

No falx in evidence, however! :smallfrown:

Leon
2010-09-17, 02:05 PM
So maybe a bonus to Sunder items of armour as well as trip and the threat range.

Which in the case of these ones would be rather brutal as they are Adamantine.

Greenish
2010-09-17, 02:29 PM
So maybe a bonus to Sunder items of armour as well as trip and the threat range.I don't think you can sunder armour. However, 17-20 crit range with tripping sounds quite decent for an exotic weapon, if you want it to be one.

I could definitely see it as a martial weapon with falchion's stats too, but in the end it'll be your DM's call.

Shademan
2010-09-17, 06:52 PM

youre thinking of a farming scythe, not a military schyte, which is VERY simillar to a flax.

arguskos
2010-09-17, 07:02 PM
youre thinking of a farming scythe, not a military schyte, which is VERY simillar to a flax.
Why are we talking about grain? Are we threshing flax seed now? :smallconfused::smalltongue: HARHARBADJOKEISBAD

SurlySeraph
2010-09-17, 07:17 PM
No, that's false. We're talking about whether a copper piece should be equivalent to an Umayyad fals, as suggested by Mr. Falche, and what monetary ramifications there should be when a paladin falls for refusing to flash his identification for the falxman guarding the Fell Falls.

Swooper
2010-09-17, 07:17 PM
I think I remember stats for a falx in Quintessential Fighter from Mongoose Press.

Edit: Yup, there it is. It's called a "flax" though, for some reason. Twohanded martial slashing weapon, 2d4 damage, 19-20/x2 crit. 10lbs, 8gp, no special properties.

Roland St. Jude
2010-09-17, 09:09 PM
Ha, you know I never made that association before. The number of threads started with something similar to this title over the years clued me in straight away, but I love the monochrome front cover of R1:

http://www.rpg.net/pictures/show-water.phtml?picid=2373

No falx in evidence, however! :smallfrown:

Someone knew what I was talking about, sweet.

Yes, the lack of an actual Falx is quite a puzzler. But I do love the art of the early editions.

Psyx
2010-09-18, 06:05 AM
^Really? I found it embarrassingly bad on a regular basis. 'S' Series rocked, though.

Matthew
2010-09-18, 07:58 AM
You probably will not like this much, then:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_g5h76UahDMo/TIkxZlriI5I/AAAAAAAABLk/-od5yeFsqt0/s640/DnD_Bus_5.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_g5h76UahDMo/TIkxerElXsI/AAAAAAAABLs/If4RSGxsIL0/s640/DnD_Bus_6.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_g5h76UahDMo/TIkxkOlhW2I/AAAAAAAABL0/jsRPF4SojNs/s640/DnD_Bus_2.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_g5h76UahDMo/TIkxqRcmvpI/AAAAAAAABL8/Q4iPGpxuwu4/s640/DnD_Bus_3.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_g5h76UahDMo/TIkxvzUiYYI/AAAAAAAABME/V9sI11qCIEM/s640/DnD_Bus_4.jpg

...but I am sure Roland will appreciate it. :smallbiggrin:

Leon
2010-09-18, 08:37 AM
Two Handed Exotic Weapon
Venetian Falx
2d4, 18-20x2
Reach, Trip, Disarm

Sound ok?

Spiryt
2010-09-18, 08:41 AM
Sounds OK, I guess, why reach, trip and disarm though?

As far as I follow D&D logic, trip are weapons with some hooks or protrudes, as well as disarm. And reach is long stuff.

Leon
2010-09-18, 09:06 AM
Sounds OK, I guess, why reach, trip and disarm though?

As far as I follow D&D logic, trip are weapons with some hooks or protrudes, as well as disarm. And reach is long stuff.

The curved blade for trip and the disarm is a nod towards the shield damage of the classic weapon

Psyx
2010-09-18, 09:16 AM
That or WotC have no clues as to what they're writing about. I'll call Occam's Razor on this one.

Shademan
2010-09-18, 09:32 AM
but why reach? seems to me that a falx would not have any more reach than a greataxe or greatsword, or warschythe for that matter

Leon
2010-09-18, 10:37 AM
Loose the reach then - Trip and disarm do make it different enough to a falchion

Spiryt
2010-09-18, 10:41 AM
Loose the reach then - Trip and disarm do make it different enough to a falchion

And straightly better than falchion, yet still not worth using - because it's still not really worth a feat (I guess?).

Damn, this 3.5 weapon system is retarded.

I miss BG 2 one.

Roland St. Jude
2010-09-18, 10:50 AM
...but I am sure Roland will appreciate it. :smallbiggrin:

Who...what...? Unbelievable. Who did that and why? 'Tis awesome, though.

Leon
2010-09-18, 10:54 AM
And straightly better than falchion, yet still not worth using - because it's still not really worth a feat (I guess?).

Im not overly concerned about if it's "worth" a feat, my PC wont even be using it. The Fighter may, he still has a spare feat un chosen. More interested in settling on something decent to present to the DMs that's a different weapon from the normal range.
It will quite likely end up in our collection of "cool stuff we don't use atm"

At least 2 of the blades are going to be used in a golem project by one of the wizards (the one we trust not to screw over the party too much)
and the other is probably going be broken down and made into Daggers and throwing stars for the monk

Matthew
2010-09-18, 10:55 AM
Who...what...? Unbelievable. Who did that and why? 'Tis awesome, though.

The weirdest part of all is that Wizards of the Coast did it; it is their convention bus or some such thing, presumably tied to their release of Red Box with the original Larry Elmore art. Ah, here is a "tour" of the inside, it is the Pax 2010 D&D Bus (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN8FmQcUm9A).

Shademan
2010-09-18, 11:29 AM

Damn, this 3.5 weapon system is retarded.

I miss BG 2 one.

which is why you should just use the stats of a darn military schyte. :smalltongue: