PDA

View Full Version : My Fighter Revision -- Because All the Cool Kids Have One!

wayfare
2010-09-17, 01:53 PM
I'm thinking of running a 3.5 game with this version of the fighter. Is it useable.

Note: Only goes up to level 10 so far. Brainstorming more.

The Fighter
Hit Die: d10
Fortitude: Good
Reflex: Average (ends at 9)
Will: Poor

Bonus Feats: Every other level

Level 2: Advantageous strike 3d6
The tide of battle is often turned in a single moment, and a master combatant is always ready to make that moment happen. The fighter may add up to 3d6 damage to any successful attack he makes. These bonus dice are finite, but carry over for multiple uses – if the fighter decides to add 1d6 to an attack, he can later choose to add 2d6 to another attack that day, or 1d6 to two other attacks that day. Bonus damage dice recover after 8 hours of rest.
At level 4 and every 2 levels thereafter, add 3d6 bonus damage dice to the Fighters limit each day. The fighter may never add more bonus dice of damage to an attack than the levels he has in the Fighter class. Bonus dice are not multiplied when the character earns a critical hit – though the Fighter Bonus Feat Advantageous Critical does alter this.

Level 4: Offensive or Defensive Stance
While other combatants must limit themselves to engage in offensive or defensive positions, the fighter gains the ability to effortlessly assume basic stances without any penalty to his actions. The fighter chooses one of the following benefits:

Offensive Stance: The fighter must take a full action to gain the benefits of this ability. The fighter gains a +2 bonus to hit and damage, and gains +1 to threat range. Activating this ability ends Defensive Stance.

Defensive Stance: The fighter must take a full action to gain the benefits of this ability. The fighter gains a +2 bonus to AC and Reflex saves as well as a +10 bonus to movement speed. Activating this ability ends Offensive Stance.

The character gains the remaining ability at level 8.

Level 6: Bastion ofWill
A focused will is what separates a violent brute from a master of martial combat. The Fighter gains a +2 bonus to all Will saves. At level 10 this increases to +4.

Level 10: Counter-Strike
The movements of battle are well known to the fighter, every action begins and ends with a chance to finish the battle. Once per round, if the fighter is attacked and missed, the fighter may make a counter attack at his highest attack bonus.
The Fighter may use this ability twice per round at 15th level and 3 times per round at 20th level.

Any input would be great.

Many thanks, wise and mighty ITPers

--wayfare

Mystic Muse
2010-09-17, 02:04 PM
Usable? yes. I still wouldn't say it's past tier 5 though.

Ziegander
2010-09-17, 02:47 PM
I actually find Advantageous Strike a little bit interesting. It's pretty cool as a "sneak attack variant." I might have to dig around on my computer to see if I still have anything other than Warlord as far as 3.5 Fighter fixes. There's a lot of cool concepts floating around here for the Fighter.

wayfare
2010-09-17, 07:23 PM
I actually find Advantageous Strike a little bit interesting. It's pretty cool as a "sneak attack variant." I might have to dig around on my computer to see if I still have anything other than Warlord as far as 3.5 Fighter fixes. There's a lot of cool concepts floating around here for the Fighter.

Thanks -- thought it was a great way to give the fighter an extra boost in combat!

The first 10 levels focused on making the fighter better at fighting. The next ten levels allow the fighter to chose a role and gain benefits in line with that function. So far I'm thinking:

Tactical Archer: An etra-long range sniper who enhanes his attacks with status effects.

Commander: A walking buff machine.

Reaver: All about packing the most close combat damage in the least ammount of time.

Champion: DR, SR, and save boosts.

Any ideas i should include?

Ziegander
2010-09-17, 07:49 PM
I've had a love/hate relationship with the Fighter as long as I've played the game. What I always try to do with Fighter fixes is make sure that, at the same time as preserving the generic/modular feel of the class, I provide class features that assist the Fighter in actually being able to find, pursue, and finally hit the enemy.

Some people are okay with the Fighter absolutely needing to buy magical gear so that he can fly, pass mind-control and illusion saves, and hit ghosts. I prefer my Fighters to have class features to at least help with it (even Barbarians get a general Will boost while raging).

For instance, tremorsense is something I kind of auto-include in Fighter fixes these days (helps against invisible/illusions). I've also done things like delaying mind-afflicting effects for a short time, and even by focusing on a specific foe True-Sight regarding that foe.

I also like to give Fighters something like ToB maneuver readying or how Wizards prepare spells, but linked to their feats so that they can switch out their feats for other ones (so, say if they're completely melee focused and they're fighting something that can fly they aren't completely screwed without a Flying Carpet).

EDIT: Oh, hey! I did find a pretty recent Fighter rebuild I did. I like it a lot. It doesn't fix everything, but it definitely helps in a lot of ways. http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6127.0

wayfare
2010-09-17, 09:15 PM
Ok, so at level 11, each fighter must choose one of the following Class Features -- Tactical Archer, Commander, Reaver, and Champion. The class feature chosen determines the rest of the build.

Right now, I'll focus on...

The Tactical Archer

Level 11: Snipers Eye
The warrior doubles the range of any missile attack he makes, and adds 1 to the threat range of said attacks.

Level 13: Dazing Shot
The Fighter takes a full action to make a single attack. On a successful attack, the opponent must make a Fortitude Save DC (10 + 1/2 Fighter Level + Missile Enhancement Bonus) or be Stunned until the beginning of the Fighters next turn.

Level 15: Enhance Arrow
Whenever the Fighter enhances a missile attack with Advantageous Strike, the missile gains the True Striking Enhancement (+5 for the purpose of bypassing damage reduction).

Level 17: Punishing Arrow
The Fighter takes a full action to fire a precisely targeted arrow that hampers his opponents actions. On a successful ranged attack, the opponent must make a Fortitude Save DC (10 + 1/2 Fighter Level + Missile Enhancement Bonus) or suffer 1 point of ability damage to Constitution, Dexterity, Strength, or Intelligence.

Level 19: Arrow Swarm
The fighter takes a full action to all opponents within 50 feet, up to a maximum of his level in the fighter class. The Fighter makes one attack at -5 and applies it to all opponents, and makes one damage roll against all opponents.
If the fighter wishes to invoke Auspicious Strike to modify damage for this attack, he must to so on a case-by-case basis (each use only applies to one creature).

Any advice?

Mystic Muse
2010-09-17, 09:24 PM
The Tactical Archer

Level 11: Snipers Eye
The warrior doubles the range of any missile attack he makes, and adds 1 to the threat range of said attacks. This seems kind of nice.

Level 13: Dazing Shot
The Fighter takes a full action to make a single attack. On a successful attack, the opponent must make a Fortitude Save DC (10 + 1/2 Fighter Level + Missile Enhancement Bonus) or be Stunned until the beginning of the Fighters next turn. This isn't a 13th level ability. It needs to be at a lower level to be viable.

Level 15: Enhance Arrow
Whenever the Fighter enhances a missile attack with Advantageous Strike, the missile gains the True Striking Enhancement (+5 for the purpose of bypassing damage reduction).
Uh, what exactly does this do? A +1 weapon bypasses Damage reduction just the same as a +5 does.

Level 17: Punishing Arrow
The Fighter takes a full action to fire a precisely targeted arrow that hampers his opponents actions. On a successful ranged attack, the opponent must make a Fortitude Save DC (10 + 1/2 Fighter Level + Missile Enhancement Bonus) or suffer 1 point of ability damage to Constitution, Dexterity, Strength, or Intelligence. This ability is useless. 1 point of ability damage? The only time this would be effective is against magical beasts or animals.

Level 19: Arrow Swarm
The fighter takes a full action to all opponents within 50 feet, up to a maximum of his level in the fighter class. The Fighter makes one attack at -5 and applies it to all opponents, and makes one damage roll against all opponents.
If the fighter wishes to invoke Auspicious Strike to modify damage for this attack, he must to so on a case-by-case basis (each use only applies to one creature).[/quote] I don't really have any experience with this. It doesn't seem extremely strong for a 19th level ability though.

Any advice? before you work on the higher levels you should make it so that it's worth taking the class to those levels.

wayfare
2010-09-18, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the input, Kyuubi! Working on further revision as we speak.

Right now I'll post the Champion 11-20 build.

The Champion
Purpose: Large scale battle leadership.

Level 11: Rally
The Fighter must use this ability before battle is joined, within (Charisma Mod) hours of battle. The fighter daresses up to (Level x Charisma Mod) allies for no less than 5 minutes. When battle is joined, all effected allies gain the benefits of Improved Initiative -- if an ally already has improved initiative, he may roll initiative twice and choose the best result.

Level 13: Precision Tactics
The fighter takes a full action to grant (Level x Charisma Mod) allies +2 to hit and +1 to threat range. If these allies are under the effects of Rally, they instead gain +4 to hit and +2 to threat range.
The Fighter may maintain these effects as long as he likes, but may not take full actions on any round he is maintaining the effect.

Level 15: Defensive Tactics
The fighter takes a full action to grant (Level x Charisma Mod) allies +2 to Ac, +2 to Reflex, and +10 temporary hp. If these allies are under the effects of Rally, they instead gain +4 to Reglex and Ac, and +15 temporary hp.
The Fighter may maintain these effects as long as he likes, but may not take full actions on any round he is maintaining the effect.

Level 17: Brutal Tactics
The fighter takes a full action to grant (Level x Charisma Mod) +2 damage with all weapons, weapons deal damage as if 1 size category larger, and +10 to movement rate. If these allies are under the effects of Rally, they instead gain +4 to damage, weapons inflict damage as if they were 2 size categories larger, and +15 to movement.

Level 19: Final Gambit
This power ends the effects of rally, healing all those affected by rally 3d6+10 hp. All allies affected by rally may make a save against any persistent effects currently effecting them.

Many thanks for the help

--wayfare

Mystic Muse
2010-09-18, 03:33 PM
Final gambit doesn't seem like it's worth using. 3d6+10 isn't good at level 19 and I bet there are better ways to grant your allies saving throws. Even if there aren't, it's kind of lackluster for a level 19 ability.

defensive tactics and brutal tactics don't seem as good to me as precision tactics do. the AC defensive tactics give isn't anything special, don't know about the reflex save, and 15 temporary HP isn't all that much. Comparing this to a much higher chance of hitting (+4 is pretty good.) and an increased threat range and I know which I'd rather have.

brutal tactics doesn't seem bad but accuracy is generally more important than damage. Plus, power attackers can get twice that or more anyway with precision tactics.

Kamin_Majere
2010-09-20, 08:09 PM
The fighter debate has gone on forever, and its always great to see what people come up with.

I took the lazy way out and just gave the fighter a bonus feat every level (note not a fighter bonus feat) and started their BAB at 2 so they would have combat advantage over most classes. (and ended up with a nice 5th attack in the end)

But because i allow almost every d20 book for 3.x ever printed alot of interesting fighters have came about being able to take 27/28 feats over their career