PDA

View Full Version : The D&D 4e and Essentials Thread: for people who have good things to say.

BlckDv
2010-09-17, 02:51 PM
Well, according to some posters in that other thread on the front page, it was not at all clear that the OP was hoping for a positive thread with posts from people who approve of and enjoy 4e and the Essentials products.

I'm hoping that this thread may be easier to follow:

I am looking for posts from players and DMs who have played in, are playing, or hope to play in 4e games which have found the experience enjoyable, and are not seeking to lament or critique the ways in which this version of the game compares to another system.

{Scrubbed}

Oracle_Hunter
2010-09-17, 02:55 PM
Um... yeah, I enjoy D&D4.

What's the point of this thread? Cheerleading? :smallconfused:

I mean, I think it's clear that there are people out there who like D&D4 and have good things to say about it.

tcrudisi
2010-09-17, 02:55 PM
What kind of response posts are you wanting? Yes, I enjoy 4e and it is my favorite system of all time. I like the direction that essentials is taking the product as anything that helps get new players is a win.

BlckDv
2010-09-17, 03:01 PM
Heh, thanks, I didn't want to double post but wanted to leave the OP as is for easy reading.

Well, for one thing I'd love to hear any experiences folks have had so far with the new Essentials products and the related errata to older rules.

Examples; the rogue Sneak Attack going to 1/turn... has this led to any crazy new Rogue/Warlord tactics?

Has anyone tried making a PC with a build from Heroes of the Fallen Kingdoms but an older Paragon Path or Epic Destiny? How clean was it?

Anyone homebrewed a way to Multiclass (Especially Paragon MC)into the builds that don't have At-Will/Encounter/Daily powers?

Added:

And I know folks out there do like 4e, but it is depressing that in any 4e thread, posters join in solely to inform the other players of their error in preferring the system, I'm hoping for a thread where you don't have to skip a third of the posts to avoid edition wars. The thread title was motivated by a specific comment in the other thread that it was not clear that the thread was pro-4e.

MachineWraith
2010-09-17, 03:01 PM
I've played in one (short) 4e campaign so far, and while I do still prefer the 3.5 system, the 4e game I played in was fun.

Our group has two DMs: myself, and my friend. My friend made the switch to 4e because he says it's much easier to DM, since it's much harder to make an overpowered character, and he can reasonably know what to expect from each player's character in any situation. Also, he says that he has to spend much less time prepping encounters for 4e.

I know enough to not bother arguing, and most of those points are probably true. I just have a... sentimental attachment, I suppose, to 3.5.

Still, 4e is a fairly well put-together system, and we play it the same way we've always played D&D, which is to say with far too much joking around and OOC conversations :smallbiggrin:

BlckDv
2010-09-17, 03:06 PM
Still, 4e is a fairly well put-together system, and we play it the same way we've always played D&D, which is to say with far too much joking around and OOC conversations :smallbiggrin:

I love this line. That's why I keep coming back to tabletop RPGs no matter where I roam, there is just something about the friendly, jovial atmosphere of friends at a table rolling dice to save the world (or at least their own backsides) that I don't get from CCGs, LARPS, Wargamming or other related hobbies. YMMV.

Reis Tahlen
2010-09-17, 03:10 PM
I'm DMing 4E since two or three sessions, and it's pure joy for me and my player (solo campaign, currently, will DM a group later).

I would like to know if someone here has tried the 4E of Dark Sun, and could tell what is good/bad in comparison of the 2nd edition?

Also, are the racial books worthwile?

hamishspence
2010-09-17, 03:15 PM
I haven't played 4E Dark Sun yet- but I tend to be pleased whenever old monsters make a reappearence.

Cloud rays, elemental drakes, megapedes, psurlons- the Dark Sun Creature Catalog definely pleased me in that respect.

In the main Campaign Setting book The Hordemaster epic destiny and how when you die, your lieutenant steps in to take your place with the same stats as you, seemed a bit like a very nice nod to The Princess Bride.

Mando Knight
2010-09-17, 03:17 PM
What's the point of this thread? Cheerleading? :smallconfused:

No, that would be this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_RPZcSZWJo)song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5LFReFumVM).

...No, wait. The song's about sailor-suit girl's uniforms.

BlckDv
2010-09-17, 03:23 PM
I'm DMing 4E since two or three sessions, and it's pure joy for me and my player (solo campaign, currently, will DM a group later).

I would like to know if someone here has tried the 4E of Dark Sun, and could tell what is good/bad in comparison of the 2nd edition?

Also, are the racial books worthwile?

I've played as an Elf Ranger for a single adventure three-session Dark Sun game.

When playing it, I had a blast and felt like I was back in Athas, afterwards, Several things struck me that seem to be gone, but did not diminish my fun.

Examples: other than working as any other implement, Obsidian Orbs no longer seem to have any special role in the game.

The lack of Dual Classing means that the flavor and powers of the Sorcerer Kings and the Dragon and Avignon (sp?) Epic Destinies are very different than their 2nd Ed forms.

The Primal power source in 4e fills in most of what "divine" did in 2nd Ed; so Primal Shamans and Druids instead of Elemental Clerics.

The monsters in particular I really loved, and really felt like a fun alien world.

Hordemaster did amuse me with the idea of Having the original PC raised when his Lt.'s Lt.'s Lt. had taken his place.

averagejoe
2010-09-17, 03:29 PM
The Mod They Call Me: Locked. This thread was a restart of a current (and, since then, locked) thread.