PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Getting divine casting to count as arcane

Thurbane
2010-09-17, 07:09 PM
Hey all,

I believe there is (at least one) way to get divine casting to count as arcane...can someone please advise?

Specifically, it's for three things I'd like to try (for different reasons/for different characters):

To let a divine caster take the Obtain Familiar feat.
To allow a divine caster to take the Ultimate Magus PrC.
To allow an Adept take the Improved Familiar feat.

Ernir
2010-09-17, 07:21 PM
Southern Magician (Races of Faerūn), Alternative Source Spell (Dragon 325) and the Dragonsblood Pool (Complete Mage) all come to mind. Check them out, see whether you like any of them, and then ask your DM. :smalltongue:

Thurbane
2010-09-17, 07:39 PM
Southern Magician (Races of Faerūn), Alternative Source Spell (Dragon 325) and the Dragonsblood Pool (Complete Mage) all come to mind. Check them out, see whether you like any of them, and then ask your DM. :smalltongue:
Well, since I'll likely be the DM...:smallwink:

Thanks for the list. I don't usually use Dragon mag material, but I'll check out the other two.

Anyone got any others?

mootoall
2010-09-17, 10:37 PM
Miracle- I wish that all of my levels of cleric were gestalted with levels in Wizard.

Wish- I wish all of my known spells can be cast using both Arcane and Divine spell slots.

Done.

ericgrau
2010-09-17, 11:06 PM
Granted, except you now have half as many levels in each.

Granted, now you may only cast spells that are on both the wizard and cleric lists. :smallbiggrin:

Which is actually fair in this case, as the DM may pervert wishes that are beyond the power of the spell. Technically in the case of the miracle it is merely a request to which your deity would say "Uh, no".

Mongoose87
2010-09-17, 11:09 PM

Granted, now you may only cast spells that are on both the wizard and cleric lists. :smallbiggrin:

Which is actually fair in this case, as the DM may pervert wishes that are beyond the power of the spell. Technically in the case of the miracle it is merely a request to which your deity would say "Uh, no".

The key is to be less aggressive. Wish that one of your divine caster levels be gestalted, not all.

Amphetryon
2010-09-18, 06:17 AM

:smallannoyed: Isn't it easier and less frustrating for the players if you just say "I do not allow Limited Wish, Wish, or Miracle in my game"? Given that three, count them THREE, options have been listed already that actually work by RAW to do this particular trick, ruling that some of the allegedly highest-powered spells in the game cannot emulate a feat available at 1st level (because a 1st level feat is "beyond the power of the spell" (seriously?) ) just seems like a jerky thing to do.

JoshuaZ
2010-09-18, 07:34 AM
:smallannoyed: Isn't it easier and less frustrating for the players if you just say "I do not allow Limited Wish, Wish, or Miracle in my game"? Given that three, count them THREE, options have been listed already that actually work by RAW to do this particular trick, ruling that some of the allegedly highest-powered spells in the game cannot emulate a feat available at 1st level (because a 1st level feat is "beyond the power of the spell" (seriously?) ) just seems like a jerky thing to do.

As given what this would do is much more powerful. Gestalting is a much larger benefit than any of those feats would provide.

true_shinken
2010-09-18, 07:52 AM
Sword of the Arcane Order might do just that.

Thrantar
2010-09-18, 09:21 AM
By my reading, unless subsequently affected by errata, Anyspell (SpC) should work, although it's not feasible for all characters. Still, whether it works or not is a question of interpretation.