PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Suggestions for Level Up

Forged Fury
2010-09-17, 08:31 PM
I'm looking for help in deciding what level to add to my character in a PbP game. Here are the following assumptions:

1) None of us are optimized, by any stretch. The rest of the party consists of a Paladin, Evoker, Cleric, Dervish, & Fighter/Bard.
2) Character is an elf single weapon fencer-tumbler type, currently Swashbuckler 6 (See #1).
3) Available books are Core, Completes, and Eberron stuff. Others within reason, minus 3rd Party. Doubtful on non-updated 3.0.
4) Current feats are Weapon Finesse, Dodge, Mobility, & Combat Expertise
5) Campaign will almost certainly end no later than Level 10

I was heading for Duelist (once again, see assumption #1). But the class doesn't seem worth it at all unless you get to at least level 7, if even then. Since I doubt I'll get there, I was looking for other options aside from Swashbuckler 10. I was considering a few levels of Rogue and trying to pick up Daring Outlaw at 9th level.

OK idea? Better suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Seffbasilisk
2010-09-17, 09:14 PM
I was thinking Rogue myself, as I read through.

Perhaps look into invisible blade? Be the steriotypical foppish noble, wearing no armor, wielding an elven courtblade or what have you?

Or you could branch out. Pick up a level of sorcerer or Psion.

As an Elf, if you're story-wise a Hero, you might even look into Ruathar.

Edit: Single weapon tumble-y type? Look at Einhander, and skim through Complete Scoundrel. Skill tricks.

Master_Rahl22
2010-09-17, 10:01 PM
You could grab some levels of Scout. Lots of skill points and Skirmish to emphasize your tumbling and give you some bonus damage for your one-handed weapon.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-09-17, 10:15 PM
Grab a level of Psion (Egoist), and with your bonus psionic feat take Practiced Manifester (CP). Your three powers known should be Force Screen, Thicken Skin, and probably Offensive Prescience. That will give you considerably better defenses and more options in general, and opens the way for more psionic feats later on like Speed of Thought. Definitely consider getting Linked Power (CP) at 9th level.

See if you can switch out your Grace class feature for the Arcane Stunt ACF in Complete Mage. I'd probably get Spider Climb for versatility but all of those options are useful.

Gavinfoxx
2010-09-17, 10:26 PM
Rogue. Rogue/Swashbuckler Daring Outlaw (its in Complete Scoundrel) is a great build.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-17, 11:01 PM
Rogue. Rogue/Swashbuckler Daring Outlaw (its in Complete Scoundrel) is a great build.

To elaborate Daring Outlaw is a feat that lets you stack your rogue and Swashbuckle levels for SA and Grace, normally used on Builds that want to reach a +16 bab before level 20

Forged Fury
2010-09-17, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the Daring Outlaw suggestions, although I did mention it in my initial post. I was mainly wondering if there was something else out there. I think I'm going to stick with generally non-casting/non-manifesting answer, so it looks like Daring Outlaw is probably the way to go. Thanks again!

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-17, 11:28 PM
It seems I fail at reading >_<, I suggest you try to retrain dodge and mobility, they are.... subpar to be nice.

Forged Fury
2010-09-17, 11:37 PM
I suggest you try to retrain dodge and mobility, they are.... subpar to be nice.
True, they were originally there for entry into Duelist. Unfortunately, I doubt I'll be able to retrain them, although I will say that they have come in far more useful than I had originally imagined.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-17, 11:38 PM
If they are working for you, then by all means use them.

I don't have more useful advice right now...maybe I can come up with something later or tomorrow.