PDA

View Full Version : Arrr..tee..fisher? [3.5]

SillyBee
2010-09-17, 08:32 PM
So, I am considering getting out from behind the screen with the dragon on the outside of it.

The gentleman who is taking over is willing to let me play something that I've never played before, and something that we've never used. Namely material from Eberron.

I have been taking a look at the Artificer class, and whilst it seems very interesting, the build of it as well as the implementation within game of it seems to elude me.

Does anyone have suggestions?
(And yes, I have studied the Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5929.0) over at Brilliant Gameologists, but it doesn't get too detailed and seems overly generalized to me)

To clarify, I am looking for a solid Artificer build with all 3.5 books available. Keep in mind that it will not be in the Eberron campaign setting.

As a second part to this question, I have been perusing the Warforged race and would enjoy any ideas in terms of how to kit out a Warforged Artificer.

Anyone willing to share is a paragon of humanity.

SB

realbombchu
2010-09-17, 08:41 PM
I'll try to help, but I don't know how much I can. Just to be clear, what version of the game are you playing? That affects how much I know. Also, do you have a general theme or character gimic in mind beyond your race/class fluff?

SillyBee
2010-09-17, 08:53 PM
Ah, my apologies.

Modified the original post.

Also, I'm thinking that the world I'll be playing in will probably not see too many other Warforged, so I might be a singularity in the world. (Attention Whore? Who me?)

I'm thinking a classic Quantum Leap story.

Scientist(Mage) thinks that imbuing a construct with the soul of a mortal will aid society. In order to prove himself he/she attempts to execute the experiment with his/her own soul and wackiness ensues. (Hoping that the next leap...will be the leap home!)

Gavinfoxx
2010-09-17, 08:53 PM
Well there are some older artificer handbooks and threads out there that have info that is NOT in that newest handbook... let me drum up a few threads for ya:

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19869786/Optimized_Artificer

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872330/Artificer_Handbook_%28rough_draft%29

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Artificer_Player%27s_Guide_%283.5e_Optimized_Chara cter_Build%29

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7274.0

AslanCross
2010-09-17, 08:57 PM
The artificer has two primary roles:
1. Crafter of magic items. This is potentially their most "broken" role as they can easily break the wealth-by-level guidelines by funneling a stream of magic items into the party over and above treasure from monsters.

2. All-around magic user. Due to the artificer's UMD-centric build, he or she can pretty much cover any magical role by having a whole rack of scrolls, wands, and staves to use. Buff, blast, heal, solve problems---the artificer can do anything.

The biggest problem you might potentially face as an artificer is the lack of downtime to get any crafting done. Because you need to spend days working on an item (1 day/1000 GP in cost, IIRC), you might end up slowing down the party, especially if you're in a hurry. Now if you're not, then great.

In case your DM wants you to move around a lot and won't give you downtime, you can request the implementation of the Craft Points variant. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/craftPoints.htm)

This will allow you to work on items without holding up the party for weeks at a time.

realbombchu
2010-09-17, 10:06 PM
Also, if you are having some trouble finding time to craft on your own, consider a dedicated wright homunculus. Set up a workshop in a portable hole for it and let it work (I don't know if that was in the handbook).

Magic of Eberron has some good feats, like Rapid Infusion, that you'll want.

I'll try to think of something more, but I only have 2 Eberron 3.5 books.

Fizban
2010-09-18, 05:51 AM
I'd say not to worry about the portable hole for a while: they're very expensive, and unless your DM is out to get you I would think you'd be just fine renting out a secure room for a week while your homunculus works and you adventure. If you want to keep up appearances, craft an Iron Defender homunculus or two to guard the Dedidcated Wright while it works.

As an artificer, remember that you have more than just crafting at your disposal: Infusions have great effects and progress all the way up through 6th level. Your party won't even need proper magic armor and weapons for a while, since your infusions can give the same abilities you would get from permanent enhancements. Take a look through your books for some of the specific items, like empty Luckblades and other use/day weapon and armor enhancements to use with your Armor/Weapon Enhancement infusions. Straight + abilities aren't very worth it, but you can turn the gp limit of those infusions into extra spells and effects. Your ability to have just the right armor and weapons chosen out of any book is nothing to sneeze at.

When you want to go on the attack, you have to main tools: the Metamagic Item infusion, and the Metamagic Spell Trigger ability. They both let you apply a metamagic feat you know to a wand, but the infusion does so for free, making it your first choice. Take Twin Spell with one of your bonus feats, then when things get serious, imbue your attack wand of choice with Metamagic Item [Twin Spell] to double it's effects. When things get more serious than that, use Metamagic Spell Trigger to stack Maximize or Quicken Spell on top of the Twin at the cost of several more charges.

If you don't know what else to do, you can always use the Spell Storing Item infusion. It basically lets you make a scroll of a spell up to 4th level for a small xp cost and a 1st level infusion. Since you're always going to get more xp, and if you actually fall behind a level you gain xp faster (and can actually jump ahead of the other players depending on when you take a break and level up), you don't need to worry too much about xp costs. You won't be replacing a wizard with it but when your other items and party members can't get the job done, Spell Storing Item basicallly gives you all the versatility in the world.

shadow_archmagi
2010-09-18, 06:59 AM
STEPS TO PLAYING A GOOD ARTIFICER:

1. Spend time looking through the magic item compendium. Just sorta, you know, browse for things that look cool, because "I get to use that one item I always kinda wanted" is a like half the class.

2. Print This Out (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Infusions-Artificer.pdf) It's a convient pile of all your infusions AND all the armor and weapon enchantments you can apply. It's always really great when you can say to your DM "What's that? The building is on fire? No worries, I'll just slap a Fire Resistance on everyone's hat. We're fine now!" or "The airship is flying away? Give me five minutes; I'll give everyone's pants Whirlwind so we can chase it and then turn into tornadoes!"

3. Spend time looking through the spell compendium. Since you have access to every spell (Either via Spell Storing Item or scrolls) you may wish to actually familiarize yourself with, well, every spell.

4. Okay, this one is important: Be really awesome. Remember, since you're the one who makes your items, they look however you want and do whatever you want, so that gives you a lot of room for style. You can pretend to be a shaman and wear an enchanted bear-pelt and make Wondrous Items out of teeth and keep them all on a necklace. Or declare yourself The Economist and use Spell Storing Item so you can cast spells by chucking gold coins at people.

5. Keep in mind that the "Metamagic Item" infusion lets you metamagic a wand at no cost (other than, you know, burning a 3rd level infusion on it). That means if you know the Twin Spell metamagic, you can burn a 3rd-level infusion to make your wand twice as effective. Why fireball when you can DOUBLEBALL? Why disintegrate when you could distwintegrate?

6. This has to go with the first one but seriously: MAKE WIERD CRAP. Because if you can solve your problems by blasting through the wall with one of your many destructive wands, that's great and all, but in my experience, it's way more fun to figure out some absolutely preposterous plan using a decanter of endless water, half a robot, 300 feet of rope, half a can of troll rations, and a giant centipede. Which isn't to say to neglect giant lasers; just don't exclude everything else. Plus, if you start dealing more damage than the rest of the party combined, your DM may become upset, and the rest of the party too.

7. Craft for your party. You're basically a giant walking 50% off sale to them. (Actually, if the item is particularly rare, you may be their ONLY hope of acquiring it. I dunno, my group tended to say things like "I search the city for a +2 sword" and the DM let them buy it.) If you can declare yourself the party bank (because you convert their gold directly into more loot than they could buy anyway) then you're set.