PDA

View Full Version : Walking the Moral Tightrope in Fable II

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-09-17, 11:40 PM
I've been playing Fable II lately, and there are a few things I've been wondering about morality and the like in the game, mostly regarding the Temples and their rewards.

I would like to obtain all the legendary weapons, including the Maelstrom longsword from the Temple of Shadows. I know, however, that you will at some point be forced to choose between the two temples, and I would personally stand with the Temple of Light. Is there a way to make the sacrifices I need for the Maelstrom without needing to do the quest that requires me to attack Oakfield? Once I got the blade I would donate as much money as was needed to get the Defender of the Light quest, since there's nothing I'd need from the Temple of Shadows anymore.

Also, I was wondering if there was a way to maintain purity despite doing some particularly corrupt things. Partly because I have unique tastes and partly because I enjoy subverting fantasy traditions, my hero has been stuffing herself with pies as soon as she first reached the shops in Bowerstone. I'd like her to keep her plush figure, but the marks of corruption are kind of ugly. Is there a way for her to achieve purity without slimming down? And also what's the upper limit on fatness in the game anyway? It seems to peak at 22, and figured there must be a 100% that's reachable at some point.

Thank you for assisting me in developing this admittedly twisted protagonist.. :smallsmile:

FoE
2010-09-18, 03:38 PM
The Maelstrom longsword is only available if you sacrifice a large number of people, including your own spouse, on the Wheel of Misfortune at the Temple of Shadows.

After completing the Crucible, you'll then have the choice of either defending the Temple of Light or massacring the people of Oakfield. I suppose you could both sacrifice a lot of people to earn Maelstrom and then defend the Temple, but honestly, Maelstrom isn't that great. It's enchanted to deal extra damage against guardsmen and regular citizens, so unless you're doing an evil playthrough, it's not really worth getting.

You can raise your Purity by lowering the rents of your properties and by charging less at stalls and stores that you own. However, you will need significant Corruption to get through at least one of the Demon Doors in the game — the one on the road to Westcliff. That has one of the legendary weapons you seek.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-09-18, 07:00 PM
The Maelstrom longsword is only available if you sacrifice a large number of people, including your own spouse, on the Wheel of Misfortune at the Temple of Shadows.

After completing the Crucible, you'll then have the choice of either defending the Temple of Light or massacring the people of Oakfield. I suppose you could both sacrifice a lot of people to earn Maelstrom and then defend the Temple, but honestly, Maelstrom isn't that great. It's enchanted to deal extra damage against guardsmen and regular citizens, so unless you're doing an evil playthrough, it's not really worth getting.
So the quest doesn't actually come until a certain point in the main quest? That makes things much easier. I plan on getting the necessary sacrifices and thus the Maelstrom before continuing on the main quest anyway (just recruited Hammer). And I know it's only really useful to an evil character...but I said I wanted to collect all the legendary weapons, obsessive completionist that I am.

You can raise your Purity by lowering the rents of your properties and by charging less at stalls and stores that you own. However, you will need significant Corruption to get through at least one of the Demon Doors in the game — the one on the road to Westcliff. That has one of the legendary weapons you seek.
Well, I'm already at 100% Corruption now, so I suppose as long as I don't start earning purity until after I go on the way to Westcliffe I'll be all-right.

Can the Temple of Light add purity? I was told it could.

FoE
2010-09-18, 07:09 PM
Well, I'm already at 100% Corruption now, so I suppose as long as I don't start earning purity until after I go on the way to Westcliffe I'll be all-right.

Can the Temple of Light add purity? I was told it could.

You don't need to be at 100 per cent to get through the Demon Door; I think around 80 per cent is sufficient.

I don't recall if donating to the Temple of Light adds Purity or Good points. It's one or the other, though I think it's the latter.

Dhavaer
2010-09-18, 08:27 PM
For Purity I think it's only celery that removes fatness and only meat that gives corruption, so you could eat all the blueberry pies you want and be both fat and pure.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-09-18, 10:58 PM
For Purity I think it's only celery that removes fatness and only meat that gives corruption, so you could eat all the blueberry pies you want and be both fat and pure.
She's eaten nothing BUT blueberry pies, and she's maxed her corruption. I think, yes, pies do give corruption...or maybe it's the booze. :smallconfused:

FoE
2010-09-19, 12:02 AM
She's eaten nothing BUT blueberry pies, and she's maxed her corruption. I think, yes, pies do give corruption...or maybe it's the booze. :smallconfused:

Booze gives pretty high Corruption.

Mewtarthio
2010-09-19, 04:47 PM
Corruption is horribly easy to adjust once you've got a good stock of real estate. Rent and price controls eventually overwhelm pretty much everything else, so you can make yourself as pure as you want, then just price-gouge everyone when it's time to open that one demon door.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-09-21, 03:18 PM
Once I sacrifice my spouse for the Maelstrom I'll work on building a small real-estate empire (right now I've bought a few food stalls and a couple houses, but a lot of the money from that goes into the allowance I've set up for my family).

Also, a few unrelated questions, how early can one enter Archon's Knot to obtain the Daichi? And what stuff do you need for the goth achievement?

FoE
2010-09-21, 03:36 PM
And what stuff do you need for the goth achievement?

You just need to wear all black, dye your hair black and put on black make-up.

If you do a search on Youtube, there's a video detailing the steps for the Goth achievement.

Dhavaer
2010-09-21, 04:07 PM
You can get the Daichi after going through the cullis gate to Wraithmarsh.