PDA

View Full Version : I want to play..... [pseudo rant]

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-17, 11:40 PM
I don't know what to do.... I really, really would like to play D&D 3.5 again; it is the game that introduced me to RPGs. Despite its numerois faults and inbalance I love it, even free-form or Point based games don't give me the kind of freedom while making a character that 3.5 gives.

The problem is that I can't play it anymore, my gaming group converted to 4e and while I like it, it doesn't give me the feel nor the same enjoyment I had when playing 3.5.

Looking for another group near where I live has proven fruitless; and I am starting to loose faith on finding a group here. While PbP is an alternative I have tried, I have run into the most common problems of PbP, they can't seem to lift of the ground.

I just want to play again

Sorry for the rant but I had to say it to someone.

Dr.Epic
2010-09-17, 11:42 PM
Tough break. Maybe go to the finding players thread and ask for anyone near you or maybe even a game on AIM if you find the post rate too slow on PBP.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-17, 11:45 PM
Pardon my ignorance but what is AIM? I think it must be a message program similar to msn.

Also I tried to find players in mexico a few months ago, but I didn't have any luck.

Jjeinn-tae
2010-09-17, 11:51 PM
I was going to invite you to a smaller site that has a game starting up, and another one going to be made soon. Since it's so small these are needed for survival and will get off the ground... Then I realized where I recognized your name from. :smallsmile:

AIM is a IM like MSN, and games can probably go pretty quickly like that, I've never tried it, but it's probably similar to a face-to-face game in speed. You meet at a certain time, and you respond quickly, though that "new message" ping will probably quickly induce insanity if you leave your speakers on.

ericgrau
2010-09-17, 11:54 PM
Keep looking. Also try www.wizards.com, www.enworld.org (.com?) and other such sites. Eventually you should find someone.

Dr.Epic
2010-09-17, 11:56 PM
Pardon my ignorance but what is AIM? I think it must be a message program similar to msn.

Pretty much.

Frosty
2010-09-18, 12:17 AM
You should also try to *screen* players. Sometimes the only way to keep a game going is to only let the extreme-qualified and proven players in.

Dr.Epic
2010-09-18, 12:28 AM
You should also try to *screen* players. Sometimes the only way to keep a game going is to only let the extreme-qualified and proven players in.

How exactly do you find out if they're "qualified"?

Frosty
2010-09-18, 12:45 AM
Usually by their background. It's not 100%, but good-writers who put a lot of effort into the backstory and personality and such, tend to stick around longer. After all, they've put so much time into the charcter they ought to want to play right?

ericgrau
2010-09-18, 12:47 AM
Generally you can't tell for sure until you've played a couple games. But it helps to talk to them a bit beforehand.

Just noticed the OP is in Mexico, tough break. Well, ya, as said you could look for online games via AIM, chat room and so on. I've heard that while PbB don't tend to get started the trick is to find DMs and players with a good history of getting games started and join those. The other problem to look out for are PbB games that die off early. Check peoples' old threads and posts.

Nanoblack
2010-09-18, 02:06 AM
If it matters I'm having a similar problem out here in Florida, so if you ever happen to need an extra player for an online game, count me in. :smallbiggrin:

The_Admiral
2010-09-18, 02:17 AM
Same here D&D is an unknown game in Malaysia

FelixG
2010-09-18, 05:25 AM
If you like your gaming group, and you like 3.5 who not (on a free night) try to invite some of them to a 3.5 game run by you? Nestolga and all of that. Even if the "main event" as it were converted to 4E nothing says you cant run an old fashioned game with them on the side that doesn't detract from the main game.

Who knows you might win a few of them back to 3.5 :P

Another idea is you might offer to run a pathfinder game so they dont have the complaint that they already played it ect.

Drakefall
2010-09-18, 06:14 AM
3.5 and 4E are not mutually exclusive. Ask your group nicely if they wouldn't mind playing a 3.5 campaign when you're done with your current 4E campaign. Offer to run it yourself if necessary.

If your 4E game doesn't look like it's going to finish anytime soon, then try for a one shot or a short 2-3 session adventure. I don't see any reason for your group to be against a quick break from your regularly scheduled transmission.

Elvenoutrider
2010-09-18, 12:46 PM
Have you tried offering to run a 3.5 game for your gaming group

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-18, 12:54 PM
Keep looking. Also try www.wizards.com, www.enworld.org (.com?) and other such sites. Eventually you should find someone.
Thanks I haven't thought about that.

3.5 and 4E are not mutually exclusive. Ask your group nicely if they wouldn't mind playing a 3.5 campaign when you're done with your current 4E campaign. Offer to run it yourself if necessary.

If your 4E game doesn't look like it's going to finish anytime soon, then try for a one shot or a short 2-3 session adventure. I don't see any reason for your group to be against a quick break from your regularly scheduled transmission.

One of the biggest problem with my group is that we are really infrequent, we have been playing this campaing for a bit more than a year and the highest level character just became level 8.

If you like your gaming group, and you like 3.5 who not (on a free night) try to invite some of them to a 3.5 game run by you? Nestolga and all of that. Even if the "main event" as it were converted to 4E nothing says you cant run an old fashioned game with them on the side that doesn't detract from the main game.

Who knows you might win a few of them back to 3.5 :P

Another idea is you might offer to run a pathfinder game so they dont have the complaint that they already played it ect.

Have you tried offering to run a 3.5 game for your gaming group

I have almost no experience running 3.5, a couple of oneshots and one completely improvised sessio.

I was preparing to run EtCR but someone broke into my house* and stole my laptop with all my notes and many of my books, I spend a lot of time on modifing the module to be a challenge for slightly optimized characters, and it being stolen robed me of my steam and enthusiasm. I might start to prepare another module or something but I am not in the mood nor the mindset to run a campaing right now.

Thanks for the idead/thoughts/ everything guys.

*For more detail look for the thread in friendly banter.

Cogidubnus
2010-09-18, 01:10 PM
DnD's pretty much a mystery in England too, and we're supposed to be the new rip-off of America :smalltongue:

Anyway, I only play PbP at the moment, don't have anyone with the time/will to play face to face. It's a little slow, but if you get a good group it is great. When All Hell Breaks Loose (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153616), the first game I joined, is running well, relatively rapid posting and very good fun. Try looking out for games any of those guys are in/running - they'll likely give you an idea of the calibre of gamer. Which for these guys, is basically over 9000.

Heliomance
2010-09-18, 01:21 PM
D&D is not at all unknown in England! :P
Check out your local university's gaming society, they probably have one, and they probably play D&D. And if they're anything like us down in Southampton, they'll be very relaxed about accepting members that aren't technically students.

Jjeinn-tae
2010-09-18, 01:45 PM
This is too big of a problem to let stand. I'm part of a smaller forum, we almost died but have rebounded with a call on this site. I'm going to be running a game on there too, so if anyone's interested we're right here (http://thatonerp.proboards.com/index.cgi). I was originally going to post it for people that missed out there, but I could run a larger game/two games. I also know one of the members is also planning on putting up a game as well.

Tyrmatt
2010-09-18, 03:28 PM
D&D is not at all unknown in England! :P
Check out your local university's gaming society, they probably have one, and they probably play D&D. And if they're anything like us down in Southampton, they'll be very relaxed about accepting members that aren't technically students.

This. And our society has ~1/4 of the members who used to be students but have long since graduated.

I spent four years avoiding my uni's gaming society because they were dominated by LARPers. This year I decided to bite the bullet. Within 10 minutes of walking in the door and pulling out my copy of All Flesh Must Be Eaten, one of the longstanding members beelined for me and immediately declared that he'd been waiting 3 years to find people to play AFMBE. Next week we start a campaign with him as DM, me as "Co-DM" (despite that I've never played the specific Unisystem before) and 3 other guys.

Characters so far include a redneck with a penchant for dynamite, a Christian priest Inspired who thinks he's the Messiah (this will not end well) and an Indian shaman Inspired.

I'm supposed to be playing a scientist-type who will craft weapons for the others to use and serve as backup First Aider. Molotovs baby :D

oxybe
2010-09-18, 04:59 PM
I'm in the strangely opposite boat of D_E. the only 2 games i have chance to partake in (due to my working the night shifts, in only have monday & wednesday evenings off) are 3.5 games whereas what i really want is a 4th ed game. or GURPS... well, i'd need to find my books first (darn moving!). :smallfrown:

i've tried PbP but those games are too slow for my liking.

hopefully with my new daytime schedule i'll be able to start GMing a 4th ed game soon. probably eberron or darksun.

but yeah, i feel for you OP.

Mando Knight
2010-09-18, 05:12 PM
I want to play...
Asobitai! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MOlCAHZR1c) :smalltongue:

You'll have to look hard... occasionally there'll be a MapTool-based D&D game advertised on the forums, which makes it almost as convenient (finding-players-wise) as PbP, but is real-time like an actual tabletop game...