PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Riders in the Sky

Adlan
2010-09-18, 02:36 AM
The Year is 1890.
In What has only just become Oklahoma Territory, you, some of the oddest flotsam and jetsam to ride the stage or fork a horse, have ended up here, one of the last bits of frontier left.

It is early winter, the sun is shrouded by bitter cold.You gone to the local saloon to escape the weather, and to enjoy the warmth.

As you sit there, trying to enjoy your drink, the door is opened and a man in a smart brown suit and grey stetson hat, walks in, the polished leather of his holster matching nicely his attire, but obviously had not seen much use.

He walks in and stops just inside the door and examines the crowd in the saloon. Nonchalantly he walks up to the bar and ordered his usual, When he has finished his beer he turns to the curious customers.

"I‘m looking for some good and reliable men. They have to be not easily scared and be able to handle a gun as well if need be. It‘s only for a while, and I pay $100 a month."

He looks around the saloon, hopefully glancing at the regulars, but none of them even meet his gaze, and an uncomfortable silence descends, as he looks onwards to the new commers. This is one of the roughest Saloon's, and even lets the undesirables in, so long as the don't make trouble or take the good seats.

Tricycle_Knight
2010-09-18, 10:57 PM
Jacob

Jacob sits in the corner, its head buried in a tattered copy of the Melville classic Moby-****. (OOC: Really, forums? No, that's fine; whatever. :smallyuk:)Upon hearing the newcomer enter the tavern, its audio receptors perk up and the automaton stands from its seat, courteously pushing its chair back under the table and placing the book back into its leather satchel across its chest. Its internal components and sidearm cling and ting as the auto makes its way over to the man, its steps somewhat awkward but sure.

"I am not a man, sir. If that bothers you then I suggest you re-evaluate your position, but I will leave you alone. However, I have found nothing that brings me dread, and am more sure with my pistol than I believe you'll find elsewhere. For such a fee, though, I do wonder what this work would entail..."

Malfunctioned
2010-09-19, 04:00 AM
Kor-Keth sits by his table. Mugs are scattered across it but he does not seem intoxicated in the slightest.

As he turns round he accidentally knocks one of the mugs. It topples of the table only to be caught safely by his foot before being launched back up into his waiting hand.
"Some may not call me a man. But if you would be willing to pay for my tab then my body will be at your disposal."

Dorizzit
2010-09-19, 08:43 AM
Jebediah Cass

Cass sits at a table in one of the room's back corners, sitting against the wall so that he can see the entire room around him. A single mug of something unpleasant smelling is on the table in front of him, a drink that he has been nursing for the past several hours. His legs are folded in such a way to show the pistol he has holstered in his belt. The rifle hanging from the back of the chair needs no such showing off to be seen. He gives the man looking for workers and the other applicants a long, hard look, before finally speaking up.

"I'm in."

Gorgondantess
2010-09-20, 10:59 AM
Humbert sat on a table as opposed to a chair, in order to accommodate his cripplingly long legs. He looked like a man who had been sipping tea in an English country garden... about a year and a half ago. Now, however, he was dusty and haggard, his suit worn and frayed and his normally clean shaven face covered in orange and grey bristles.
Coming into America, he'd found his English pounds were no good here, and after being ripped off in the exchange to dollars his assets dwindled rapidly. By now he was wondering whether ordering a drink or twelve at the bar was a good idea... of course, by the time he was really thinking about it, he was too drunk to care.

As the man spoke, he stood up quickly in order to take his offer. Too quickly. Swaying dangerously on his too-long legs, he stumbled backwards and had to catch himself on the table for support. He stared at the wood grain for a moment, reminiscing.
It has been far too long.
While the wood was dead, it still had power, and he muttered a prayer to the fae spirits of the forest to cleanse the poison from his body. The table groaned under his weight and his power, and as he released it, standing back up, he composed himself as an English Gentleman ought to.
Clearing the room within two strides, he extended one hand to the man, and took off his hat with the other. He spoke in an accent that couldn't be discerned as refined, effete English or an Irish brogue, but a mix of the two.
"Humbert Humbert at your service, sir."

Adlan
2010-09-20, 11:20 AM
The Saloon

The Man doing the Hiring looks at his applicants, and his face falls. It's obvious hoped he wouldn't have to hire any forgieners, from the dark looks he gave to Kor-Keth, and Humbert, but he had his orders. From the dum puzzlement that crossed his expression it's clear A Limey or a Paddy, he couldn't tell.

On the other hand, he gave Cass a respectful nod, admiring the tough looking man, and glad to have found someone willing to hire on who had equipment for the job.

And he was quite astonished when the Automaton agreed to take his employers money.

"All right you Four, I want us to ride before half an hour has gone, Your New Boss is in a Cabin away away's and we gotta make it by sundown.

And with that, he turns on his heel, and walks out into the street. Leaving you to follow as he beings getting his horse ready for the trail.

Adlan
2010-09-21, 07:22 AM
...10 minutes later
'Well, Come on then 'Tarnation! The Man called from horseback 'Ain't gonna stand around here all day'.

He looks on in askence at you, wondering if his Boss knew what he would get when he said to hire anyone willing to work.

Malfunctioned
2010-09-21, 02:30 PM
Kor-Keth swiftly leapt to his feet and in a few moments walked through the still-swinging doors. He stared at his mount questionably for a few moments before climbing on for the ride.
"I am ready."

Dorizzit
2010-09-21, 04:34 PM
Jebediah Cass

Cass is already saddled up and ready to go, having gathered his few earthly possessions right after their hirer had given them a time frame for leaving. He runs his thumb under the strap of his rifle, then moves forward after the man.

Gorgondantess
2010-09-21, 11:08 PM
H.H. walks past all the other horses, and to the road. He cups his hands around his mouth, and taking in a deep breath, calls out in a booming voice a long gaelic verse. From almost out of nowhere, a tall, glistening, strong russet mustang canters into town and up next to Humbert. He takes a thin blanket out of his suitcase and throws it over the horse's back, mounting awkwardly while it waits patiently. He may be no rider, but Glass was some horse: he'd spent hours baking in the hot sun, covered in pig's blood and bull**** and burning some herb that made his head swim and smelled worse than the stuff on his chest, but it was well worth the end result: Glass was unconditionally loyal and obedient to him, and his strength and gusto easily made up for Humbert's complete lack of riding skills.
Sitting on the back of the proud animal uncomfortably, Humbert tugged gently on his mane, speaking a word of gaelic, and Glass trotted on with the rest.

Tricycle_Knight
2010-09-23, 12:14 AM
Jacob

Jacob sits silently atop a tremendous draft horse, with a glossy black coat save for white stockings on his front two shanks. A gift from Earp and Masterson, Chiron was the only horse available that could carry the automaton's heavy frame. It leads the horse behind the others, its metallic parts gleaming in the sun.

"I am prepared, gentlemen."

Adlan
2010-09-23, 07:13 AM
'We'll Tarnation. Ain't we the travelling circus.'

With the group assembled, he leads you out of the town, along the dusty trail. pretty soon even the regular beaten path is left, and not even an animal trail is what you follow, winding your way up the mountain slope, into the low range that has dominated the horizon since you left town.

He dosn't seem very talkative, and rides warily as he leads you, generally responding to most questions or instances with no more than a grunt.

However, as you crest one ridge line, and continue through the valley to the next line, he speaks up.

'So what brought y'all to Oklahoma?'

Adlan
2010-09-23, 07:24 AM
OCC: Now, the game will henceforth contain two plotlines, the one we've had so far will be called 'The Legacy' the one that starts right now, will be called Redemption

So:
The Redemption
It was a Dark and Stormy Night, and the Rain was Lashing the Cave.

Cave....

You awake, in a Cave, outside, you can see a hideous Rainstorm. In the Darkness, you can make out other figures. And, to those of you aquainted with the scent, you can smell mountain lion.

Dorizzit
2010-09-23, 07:41 AM
Cass

Cass reaches back into one of his saddle bags and withdraws a rolled up piece of paper. Rather than respond verbally, he unfurls it to reveal a wanted poster of a fugitive of moderate fame. Those with their ears to the ground will probably know that said fugitive had been caught recently by a bounty hunter.

Frozen Messiah
2010-09-23, 08:43 AM
Redemtion

Prothero

Prothero leaned up against the mouth of the cave and fiddled with his prayer beads. He always loved storms, it was he smell that he loved the most. It brought him back to when he was an angel and would stare down at humans. He watched the rain fall hard outside and also watched the figures. He kept his other hand on his revolver. "You won't let me enjoy one thing will you?" Prothero said with a small laugh as he kept his eyes on the figures that roamed outside.

WhiteKnight777
2010-09-23, 03:09 PM
Redemption

Caine

It said something about Caine's life that his first thought upon waking in a cave surrounded by mysterious figures was to mutter "Not again." He dusted himself off, stood, and cracked his neck. He grinned as he felt the lightning arcing outside. The chained angel inside him howled at the storm, and Caine's blood sang with the thrill with it as he looked around, his eyes almost glowing in the stormlight.

UserClone
2010-09-23, 05:23 PM
Redemption

Rider:

More games...well ain't this just a bitch. The brown leather- wearin' man in the corner lays his hat low across his brow. He breathes a sigh and goes to move on, not taking any particular interest in these strangers or what ideas they might have in store for him.

The rider tips his brim slightly at the others.
"Gents, pleasure's mine, I'm sure. But I'll be takin' my leave now."

He begins walking to the mouth of the cave.

Frozen Messiah
2010-09-23, 08:42 PM
More games...well ain't this just a bitch. The brown leather- wearin' man in the corner lays his hat low across his brow. He breathes a sigh and goes to move on, not taking any particular interest in these strangers or what ideas they might have in store for him.

The rider tips his brim slightly at the others.
"Gents, pleasure's mine, I'm sure. But I'll be takin' my leave now."

He begins walking to the mouth of the cave.

Redemption

Prothero

"You leave, you become my new quarry, I have beat death before and I can beat you." Prothero says not even looking up, "and if you play along there will be loads for you to do." When he finishes he stands up and moves into the path of the Rider. "My names Prothero and I have met the man who gave you the deal, it was on...unfreindly terms. We are both puppets for something big and old. If you stick with me we may be able to cut our strings. You with me or not?" Prothero askes as he puts out his hand towarsd the rider. "Oh and don't worry about your touch, I'm made of firmer stuff." Prothero said with a small smile on his face

WhiteKnight777
2010-09-23, 08:56 PM
Redemption

Caine

"Cassius Caine don't work for free, pard. So you tell me what our bene-factor plans on dishin' out in silver and gold and I'll think about it. Otherwise... well, I'll just be movin' on. Got better things to do than stick around in some stinkin' cave."

Gorgondantess
2010-09-23, 10:43 PM
Humbert coughs, against the silence, speaking in his effete brogue. "Well, I came here in order to come into contact with these native... ah, what do you yanks call them... injuns? For, ah, academic reasons, you see, though my attempts thus far have been... relatively unsuccessful."

Tricycle_Knight
2010-09-24, 01:45 AM
Jacob

Jacob rides along in silence with its comrades. When its new employer inquires about its purpose, it must contemplate the question itself; it's never really had an answer before.

"Wanderlust, I suppose. I wanted to go and see the rest of what this country has to offer something like myself."

Adlan
2010-09-25, 08:07 AM
The Legacy

As you ride on in silence, you can feel the air fill with the smell of a thunderstorm, the pressure on comming heralding one of Oklahoma's Winter Thunderstorms, wetter than the summer variety, but still driven off the plains. As you ride on, you can see the clouds darkening and as it begins to rain, you spot the light of a Log Cabin. Built into a nook out of the rain. The Man who hired you leads you upto the cabin, where a Shelf of rock provides a good hitching post for the horses.

Inside, the cabin is warm, bright and well furnished, with fine skins, and trophies, but this is no trappers cabin, clearly the shelter for a well to do individual's hunting trips.

'My name is Andrew Wesley Lewison, you might have heard of me. If not, I can tell you that I‘m the son of one of the richest men in the area. Three weeks ago when I was on a business trip to Roswell, I heard that my father had been killed in a terrible accident.'

The Man speaking is well dressed man of about 30, fine clothes, from his dogskin gloves to his fine polished shoes. The Picture of a wealthy westerner's son, though he speaks with an educated accent, probably he spent most of his time back east. He dosn't seem too distraught by his fathers recent death.

"A couple of days later, I heard my father‘s last will. To my surprise everything went to my brother, Justin. This is so absurd, my brother is a useless, dangerous, idiot, I think that he and the lawyer wrote the will themselves. I need your help to get that will, and a letter with my fathers handwriting. Then I can use an honest lawyer to get back the part of the inheritance that is mine, by birthright. I‘m prepared to do anything to succeed, I‘ll even resort to violence. Gentlebeings, if you help me, I‘ll make sure you are handsomely rewarded."

He makes the offer as if reading a script, clearly, he's been planning this for sometime. What is really going on here, is the question that instantly forms in your mind.

Redemption

Prospero stands at the mouth of the cave, and is Illuminated by a Flash of Lightening. The shapes, and figures beyond him, in the dark, are lit up too, dark shapes, with long ears, they seem to be carrying long sticks, and though in the light of a the flash, not much can be seen, though humaniod, it's uncertain if they are human.

The Pale Rider see's them, looking over the fallen angel's shoulder, while Caine is puzzling over exactly what the stink in this cave is.

UserClone
2010-09-25, 03:00 PM
"I'll 'play along' I suppose, but only because it suits me. I'm not afraid of you, or anything anymore. You have to care to feel fear."

He whistles, and a pale white mist coalesces at the cave mouth. A white horse forms from the mist and she trots in, pushing past the man blocking the opening.

The Pale Rider begins rubbing her side.

"Atta girl."

Adlan
2010-09-25, 04:29 PM
Redemption

The Horse Whinney's, and prances, as from the darkness, a black shaft flies at her, cold and true, save that in the split second of flight, it can be seen getting thinner and thinner. It is no more than a twig when it hits her, a hair as it cuts cruelly along her flank, and vanishes before it has penetrated very deeply into the animal.

UserClone
2010-09-25, 04:36 PM
Nostrils flaring with indignant rage, the Pale Rider first checks Misery's flank to assess the damage done. Then he mounts her, ducking his head low and turning her back around to head out the cave mouth.

"You don't **** with my horse...

"You boys comin'?"

Frozen Messiah
2010-09-25, 10:11 PM
Prothero looks straight at the Rider and smiles. He steps back into the rain and pulls out his revolver. He moves to attempt to get a flanking position on the creatures and waits for his companions to draw heitr attention.

WhiteKnight777
2010-09-25, 10:45 PM
Caine

Caine moved quick. Between the lightning-strokes he slipped, his fist coming up in a bone-shattering haymaker to catch the first of the creatures square in the face - and then three more times in quick succession, faster than the naked eye could follow.

UserClone
2010-09-25, 10:53 PM
The Rider smiles back grimly at Prothero, and then draws his pistols as Misery makes her way back out of the cave.

Frozen Messiah
2010-09-25, 11:49 PM
Prothero understands that the soulbound has attracted everyones attention and moves into to attakc. He runs straight towards one of the beings and with a quick flick of his right wrist Penitentia is ready to quell her thirst. The being turns to see Prothero's face but he does not see the blade that plunges into his stomach. Prothero pushes the blade even further and whispers in the beings ear, "May you be judged better at the golden gates". While he says this a faint blue light can be seen moving from the beings and into Prothero's arm as he takes in breath, as an addict would inhale smoke. He pulls the blade out of the being, Protheros eyes now have a faint glow to them and he looks fo the next creature.

Adlan
2010-09-26, 03:40 AM
Redemption
With hideous Features obscured in the dark, only their outline can be seen against the night sky, a blacker shape against the clouds. But definitely not human now, as they approach closer to the caves mouth, upto a dozen of them. With Bat like Ears sticking up, the short beings brandish their spears as they approach.

The Pale Rider's raised pistol and high status on the horses attracts the attention of three at the back, and a Volley of the Dark Spears fly to wards him, narrowing as they leave the beings hands, but looking wickidly evil as they arc down.

OCC: Your time to shine, write something interesting, it's upto you if you do get hit or not, how you get out of it and what you do. Impress us ;)

One impish being Gets too close to Caine, and suffers brutally at his hands, a bloody ruin in instants, it waves it's spear feebly, but fails to land a mark. Two of it's fellows hang back, not willing to risk coming to it's aid, they hold their spears at length, ready to spear Caine as soon as he moves towards them.

Prothero meanwhile, horrifies the beasts, who back away, Two of them retreat till their backs are against a rock, and look on in horror as the fallen angel feeds on their fellow. Their Dark spears in hand quake with terror.

UserClone
2010-09-26, 07:08 PM
The Rider only manages two shots before the spears reach him, the first one shattering as the bullet crashes headlong into the tip of the spear. The second bullet deflects another spear, but the third one strikes him between the ribs, cutting deep. he sticks the fingers of his left glove in his mouth and, biting down on the leather, pulls his hand free.

As he grasps the shaft with his bare black hand, it immediately rots away.

Laughing a grim, cruel cackle, The Pale Rider draws Anguish and lets her and Agony do all the talkin' for him, laying waste to all three of the hideous creatures that had thrown the spears.

Even he, jaded as he is, is surprised when the three, as well as the previously decimated ones, with the sole exception of the creature whose soul was drained by Prothero's blade, begin to slowly move, putting themselves back together, and rapidly regenerating.

"Hey, boys, maybe we better try a diffrn't tack here. Whaddaya think?"

Frozen Messiah
2010-09-26, 11:59 PM
Prothero's face turns into a scowl as he walks up to the other two imps. He stabs Penitentia into one of them and grabs the other one by the neck. The energy arcs up his arm and his eyes glow brighter as he looks at the imp. "Who is your master on this world you vile fiend?" As he stares at the imp he can see that the creature is beginning to smoke from his gaze.

Adlan
2010-09-27, 07:30 AM
Redemption
The Beast squirms in your hand, but it has little facaulty for language, and what ever shred of lingustics it once possed fear, at encountering the dammed unaligned with it's master, has driven away.

Like it's spear, thrown from it's grasp and fading from the mortal world, it too now fades, wilting away from the angels eyes.

'Noooo Mahzzter' the words come from all the imps save the one you interogate. 'Nooo Mahzzter Now' The Begin to band together, leaving the one left to the angel, and even the one who's bones have been snapped by Caines Anger, try's to crawl away.

Frozen Messiah
2010-09-27, 05:18 PM
"Tell the Lightbringer that I have refused him once and I will do it again." and Prothero's eyes line up with the creature and ist burst to blue flames in his hands. He opens his hands and lets the dust fall from them. He quickly begins to follow the imps. "I suggest we follow them, imps are never far from the place or person who brought them into the world. Coming?" Prothero says as he turns around to them, if they look har enough the rain seems to be hitting and moving around what appears to be wings behind Prothero.

UserClone
2010-09-27, 09:16 PM
"You go on ahead. We'll catch up."

With that, the rider begins rapidly reloading his sixguns before following the others on Misery, quickly catching them up.

Gorgondantess
2010-09-28, 02:39 PM
Humbert takes off his dusty spectacles, wiping them with an equally dusty washcloth as he thinks. While this man is clearly morally reprehensible, and probably no better than his brother, a job is a job- it's not Humbert's business as to his motivations or morality.
Replacing his dusty and now smudged spectacles on his face, he blinks a bit, and speaks up. "Well, first we'll have to know where this brother of yours lives, and of course some more details about his... home, and such. Should be, ah, relatively simple, though."

Adlan
2010-09-30, 07:46 AM
The Legacy
The Man looks from each of you, seemingly releived that you have taken on the job, although concerned at the outlandish nature of his new employees.

'Good, my brother is staying on My fath... Mine... the ranch.' He seems to stumble over who's ranch it is.

'Al here' he indicated the man who intially found you. 'can take you there, though you'd be better off staying the night here in my cabin. There's going to be a storm tonight, far too risky to ride the mountains at night'

Al meanwhile, was settling into the cabin, getting a fire going in the stove and a pot of coffee. 'Tha's right... They do say these old hills are haunted'

Redemption
As you venture out into the darkness, the shadow of the hills and mountains swallows you up, and the imps vanish from sight. Their chattering stops, and no more chanting can be heared.

Suddenly, Misery, with the pale rider on her back, is whinneying, and prancing. From the cave, visible in the dark starlight, a dark form on all fours slinks out.

Dorizzit
2010-10-02, 09:42 AM
The Legacy

Cass' expression doesn't change as the details of the job are revealed to him.

"It'll get done."

He also accepts the offer of staying in the cabin during the night.

UserClone
2010-10-04, 09:24 PM
As you venture out into the darkness, the shadow of the hills and mountains swallows you up, and the imps vanish from sight. Their chattering stops, and no more chanting can be heared.

Suddenly, Misery, with the pale rider on her back, is whinneying, and prancing. From the cave, visible in the dark starlight, a dark form on all fours slinks out.

"It's alright, girl. Go'on home now, y'done good," says the Rider to his ol' girl, and as he pats her flank a few times, she dissolves into mist beneath him, and he drops to a standing position.

He walks slowly and purposefully towards the sinister shadow lurking in the cave mouth, pulling his gloves on tightly, his spurs making a regular pattern to match their clinking sound with each deliberate step.

He spins the chambers on his weapons, and with a flick of each wrist, they are locked in place. He is ready to shoot the hell out of it if it charges, but right now, he wants to see what in blazes it is.

Frozen Messiah
2010-10-04, 10:01 PM
Prothero pulls out the large golden blade on his back from it's sheath, touches his forehead to the blade, and utters a prayer. He walks to the side of the cave and leans up against the side of the mouth of the cave. "What do you see rider?" Prothero askes as he has his blade readied to cut through whatever would come out.

UserClone
2010-10-05, 12:49 PM
"S'just an ol' cougar, ornery 'cause he's been forgot. I know the feelin'."

As he holsters his sixguns and turns his back, he hears a horrible, gurgling, popping sound. He looks back, and the cougar's flesh is bubbling and boiling as a black, sinister mist forms out of the inky blackness of the cave, coalescing around the putrescent flesh of the rotting animal.

"****. On yer toes, fellas."

The Rider gives a grim nod to Prothero.

Gorgondantess
2010-10-05, 04:03 PM
Humbert raises an eyebrow, rubbing his beard. "Haunted, you say? How so? I should be interested in investigating that. Your Yank folklore is so very odd, I do believe it will be quite a didactic experience."

Frozen Messiah
2010-10-26, 09:52 PM
"S'just an ol' cougar, ornery 'cause he's been forgot. I know the feelin'."

As he holsters his sixguns and turns his back, he hears a horrible, gurgling, popping sound. He looks back, and the cougar's flesh is bubbling and boiling as a black, sinister mist forms out of the inky blackness of the cave, coalescing around the putrescent flesh of the rotting animal.

"****. On yer toes, fellas."

The Rider gives a grim nod to Prothero.

"Lure whatever is in there out, when it comes out I shall attack it from a flanking position" Prothero whispers not moving from his position and keeping his sword readied for whatevre was in the cave.