PDA

View Full Version : [4e] The Kazan Syndrome

Sir Homeslice
2010-09-18, 04:14 AM
So one day I was looking at that one Class Acts: Avenger article with the scaling encounter powers and I thought "hey this is a good idea, too bad the implementation is complete ass." And then later I looked at the PHB3 and thought "man, the rune feat idea is pretty damn cool, too bad I wouldn't take most of them."

Then recently while playing Dungeon Fighter Online I thought "man I love Slayer sub-classes, too bad I hate the Slayer itself." Then my thoughts drifted to 4e homebrew. Then I laughed at the idea.

Then recently, but later than last paragraph's recently, I cooked up some crazy theory/fluff involving DFO. Then I put it aside.

Then very recently I revisited the idea and thought "why the hell not." The following is what came out of it.

Note that my following mashup of scaling encounter powers, rune feat-like system, and korean MMO may just cause you to stare at your screen in puzzlement and dismay. This is normal. This is, after all, 4e sparta a mostly unfinished project that I cranked out in a day or so. All I've done so far is the "entry feat," the best I could do fluff-wise, and the entry feat for the three sub-classes I'm focusing on. Because Blade Master is covered pretty well by the entire martial soruce, minus the arm.
Nobody who puts "sufficient" research into Kazan knows whether Kazan is an especially intelligent demon with a great idea, or a devil with a great idea, but they can all agree that Kazan is a parasite that benefits the host in its own questionable way. There exist people afflicted by "Kazan Syndrome," however, it isn't a disease in the conventional sense; it is a possession physically manifested by a reddening of the skin beginning from the host's non-dominant arm's fingertips, and spreading to just barely beyond the shoulder, followed by clawing of the fingernails, and thicker, more visible veins appearing. Soon after the change finishes itself, the host will usually fly into a demonic rage, killing anybody nearby and soaking the arm in their blood. Soon after the deed is done, the host regains his sanity. Hosts are frequently and unknowingly driven by Kazan to wear blessed metal shackles. Kazan doesn't discriminate; anybody can become a host to the parasite, though he prefers to begin early.

A host of the Kazan Syndrome is easily spotted by the blood-red skin covering its arm, non-painful and non-obstructive varicose veins, and thick metal bands on their arm, usually around the wrist and just below the shoulder. Hosts of the Kazan Syndrome find their possessed arm extremely clumsy, fine motor control is completely out of the question, and basic use takes the greatest of effort; anything shorter than complete unfailing concentration is met with a rigid, or limply dangling arm. If this wasn't enough deterrent, sometimes exciting the afflicted arm too much causes the owner to feel a distinct presence pushing against their mind. The experience is very disorienting and very jarring, hosts tend to complain of nightmares for the next few days.

As an exception to the above, accomplished hosts of Kazan (read: PCs and whatever NPC you feel like) seem to have almost complete free range of movement, though fine motor control is still out of the question, and the nightmares persist.

Kazan is not completely cruel, his hosts often find themselves imbued with great power. Despite the crippling disadvantage of only having one arm to use, the host often finds themselves able to use weapons with startling competency and proficiency, in addition to being able to wield most two-handed weapons with only one hand.

Kazan Feats:
Much like PHB3's Rune Feats, feats marked with [Kazan] have a greater effect in proportion with the amount of Kazan feats you possess.

The Kazan Syndrome feat can only be taken at first level, and it is strongly advised to not allow retraining the feat, like Dragonmark feats. The Kazan Syndrome feat represents a demonic possession that is impossible to get rid of, short of the obvious permanent death of the character.

Those who begin the Kazan feat chain gain access to the other Kazan feats and are able to wield weapons belonging to the heavy blade, light blade, mace, club, or hammer group that require two hands in one hand, and are considered to wield the weapon two-handed for any beneficial effects. In exchange, the character's off-hand cannot hold or wield any item whatsoever. Don't like it? Deal with it. You've got a demon setting up shop in your arm.

Feats:
Kazan Syndrome [Kazan]
Benefit: The Kazan feat power replaces one of your 2nd-level or higher utility powers. If you do not have a 2nd level utility power available to replace, you gain Kazan as a bonus utility power that replaces your 2nd level utility power when you reach 2nd level.

Passive ability on a feat that opens up a feat chain? NAH MAN. Also what I'm doing may shock you (oh noes, getting a second level utility at first level) but it's been done before (admittedly, only for paragon I believe. Easiest example I can think of is one of those dragonborn utility feats).

Image of Kazan, Feat Power
With willpower, focus, and an extending of your Kazan-afflicted arm, you can call forth the being that calls your arm home. With a rattling laugh, it summons a circle in which it lends its power to the host that feeds it, and their allies.
Daily * Zone
Minor Action, Area burst 2 within 2 squares
Special: This power does not provoke opportunity attacks.
Effect: The burst creates a zone with a ghostly image of Kazan at its center. The zone lasts until the end of the encounter and cannot be ended for any reason. While you or one of your allies is within the zone, you or the ally gains a bonus to damage rolls to the first attack during their turn equal to the number of Kazan feats you possess, to a maximum of +3.
Level 11: The bonus equals the number of Kazan feats you possess times 2, to a maximum bonus of +6.
Level 21: The bonus equals the number of Kazan feats you possess times 3, to a maximum bonus of +9.

My god, the power of this utility. Personally, I think it's fairly balanced, as it's an unmovable zone that isn't exactly Large McBigHuge. Could use a tiny tone down, maybe?

Fledgeling Berserker of Kazan [Kazan]
Fully accepting the power of his possessed arm, the host opens his soul to the power of Kazan and sets down a dangerous path, the fires of his life like a blazing candle.
Prerequisite: Kazan Syndrome
Benefit: The Gore Cross feat power replaces one of your 3rd-level or higher encounter attack powers.
Special: You cannot select this feat if you have the Initiate of Kazan's Black Magic, or the Neophyte to the Wave Inherent in all Things as Told by Kazan feat.

Gore Cross, Feat Power
You slash an enemy twice, forming a cross. With a push of power from your arm, blood is forcefully ejected from your foe's body. If they don't have blood, now they do. And it's going to be pretty painful.
Encounter * Weapon
Standard Action, Melee Weapon
Targets: One creature
Attack: Primary ability vs. AC
Hit: 2[w] + ability modifier damage, and the target is affected by explosive desanguination (save ends). While the target is affected by explosive desanguination, and after the target has failed a single saving throw against explosive desanguination, you can end the effect as a minor action on your turn to make a secondary attack against the enemy affected by explosive desanguination as long as it is within reach.
Secondary Attack: Strength vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1[w] + ability modifier damage. For every three Kazan feats you possess, increase the damage you deal with this secondary attack by 1[w].
Level 11: Increase the primary attack's damage by 1[w]. The secondary attack also dazes the enemy until the end of your next turn.
Level 21: Increase the primary attack's damage by an additional 1[w], and the first time in an encounter you end explosive desanguination to make Gore Cross' secondary attack, it does not end.
Miss: You may regain this power as a minor action before the end of your next turn by taking damage equal to your healing surge value as a minor action.

Yes, I know desanguination is technically not a word. Don't care, it sounds awesome. Also, I'm pretty sure the level 21 scaling needs both better wording AND a more balanced effect. Basically, what it's supposed to let you do is repeat the secondary again, as a minor action.

Initiate of Kazan's Black Magic [Kazan]
Studying and contracting with the nature of the demon parasite Kazan allows a host of the Kazan Syndrome to unleash dark magic and summon demons who serve Kazan.
Benefit: The Ghost Slash feat power replaces one of your 3rd-level or higher encounter attack powers.
Special: You cannot select this feat if you have the Fledgling Berserker of Kazan, or the Neophyte to the Wave Inherent in all Things as Told by Kazan feat.

Ghost Slash, Feat Power
Kazan has command over a significant number of wraiths, one of which responds to his commands. It infuses your blade with a dark purple sheen, and a single slash unleashes a deadly wave of necrotic energy.
Encounter * Necrotic, Weapon
Standard Action, Melee Weapon
Attack: Primary ability vs. AC
Hit: 3[w] + ability modifier necrotic damage, and you ignore necrotic resistance equal to the amount of Kazan feats you have times 3.
Level 11: Increase damage by 1[w]. Increase the additional damage you gain by expending a minor action to your primary ability modifier.
Level 21: Increase damage by 1[w]. Increase the additional damage you gain by expending a move action to 1.5 times your primary ability modifier. Increase the additional damage you gain by expending a standard action to three times your primary ability modifier.
Special: Before the attack, you may expend a minor, a move, or a standard action to no benefit that would normally occur if you used the action normally. If you expend a minor action, you deal additional damage equal to half your primary ability modifier. If you expend a move action, you deal additional damage equal to your primary ability modifier. If you expend a standard action, you deal additional damage equal to twice your primary ability modifier. These bonuses are cumulative. You may expend an action to benefit this power before actually using this power if you make no other attack before the end of your next turn.

Yes, I fused Ghost Slash and Ghost Slash Drive together. I couldn't figure out how to integrate it otherwise. Anyways, I'm very iffy on the implementation of the "attempting to simulate the charging up of an attack" deal. Any advice and wording change would be nice.

Neophyte to the Wave Inherent in all Things as Told by Kazan [Kazan]
A difficult path for a desirable reward, to those who truly listen, Kazan whispers of an energy that permeates every single thing, living or unliving; the power of the Wave. In theory, it could make one even mightier than a god.
Benefit: The Neutral Wave Sword feat power replaces one of your 3rd-level or higher encounter attack powers.
Special: You cannot select this feat if you have the Fledgling Berserker of Kazan, or the Initiate of Kazan's Black Magic feat.

Neutral Wave Sword, Feat Power
The most basic Wave to master, the Neutral Wave Sword launches a quick wave of energy to wash over your foes.
Encounter * Weapon
Minor Action, Melee Weapon
Attack: Primary ability vs. Reflex
Hit: Ability modifier damage. Check for enemies the target is giving cover from you, and choose up to two of them. The chosen enemies take damage equal to that the target took.
Level 7: 4 + primary ability modifier damage.
Level 11: 6 + your primary ability modifier damage.
Level 16: 8 + your primary ability modifier damage.
Level 21: 10 + your primary ability modifier damage.
Special: For every five Kazan feats you possess, you may use Neutral Wave Sword an additional time per encounter, but only once per round.

Probably extremely, obscenely powerful. I'm iffy about this power in general because I tried to port over DFO's NWS' low cooldown, fast casting speed, decent damage, and low MP cost as much as I could without making it a minor action At-Will which would end badly for everyone.

And because it bears repeating. Once again, this is unfinished. I have a lot of things to go through and attempt to port over. And yes, I know this is most likely grossly overpowered. I think a good portion of the feats in 4e don't do enough, and yes I know they're "not supposed to because there are 18 (19 if yer a human) of them," but the sentiment still stands.

And yes, it's weird to have powers that scale and do so in a (I hope) significant enough way to have an incentive to keep them around without having them be flat out superior to everything in a way that makes the feats a no-brainer.

Changelog:
9/18/10: Kazan's damage only applies to the first attack during a turn. Gore Cross' secondary attack now needs to be made within reach. NWS' damage changed to a 4/6/8/10 progression at 7/11/16/21. Also wording changed.

Gralamin
2010-09-18, 03:28 PM
Image of Kazan Reduce the bonus to the first damage roll per ally each turn. This will prevent multiattack abuse. Possibly also make it burst 1, burst 2 at level 21.

Gore Cross Maybe also require they have to be in reach to activate the secondary?

Ghost Slash should specify the ignoring is for this power only. Level 11 and 21 are worded poorly, try
Increase damage by 1[w]. In addition, you may expend a minor action to add your primary ability modifier to the damage.

Ghost slash is pretty strong: Definitely too much to be an encounter, should be a daily. At level 3, 3[W] + 3.5 * Ability modifier is way too much - that could easily be an average damage of 3d12 + 17 + 1 (Weapon Focus) + 1 (Enhancement) = 38.5.

Neutral Wave Sword Instead of scaling the ability modifier directly, add bonuses. For example, 2 + Ability modifier instead of 2 times. This will result in a more balanced ability.
Wording isn't clear, perhaps you mean something like:
Hit: Ability modifier damage. Check for enemies the target is giving cover from you, and choose up to two of them. The chosen enemies take damage equal to that the target took.
Special: For every five Kazan feats you possess, you may use Neutral Wave Sword an additional time per encounter, but only once per round.

Sir Homeslice
2010-09-18, 03:47 PM
Image of Kazan Reduce the bonus to the first damage roll per ally each turn. This will prevent multiattack abuse. Possibly also make it burst 1, burst 2 at level 21.
Now that it's been pointed out, I feel like a fool for not adding that in. Also, I really feel that a burst 1 is far too small, and a burst 2 is just the right size.

Gore Cross Maybe also require they have to be in reach to activate the secondary?
Makes sense. Gonna add it in.

Ghost Slash should specify the ignoring is for this power only. Level 11 and 21 are worded poorly, try
Increase damage by 1[w]. In addition, you may expend a minor action to add your primary ability modifier to the damage.

Ghost slash is pretty strong: Definitely too much to be an encounter, should be a daily. At level 3, 3[W] + 3.5 * Ability modifier is way too much - that could easily be an average damage of 3d12 + 17 + 1 (Weapon Focus) + 1 (Enhancement) = 38.5.
Okay, I agree with the first paragraph's wording fixes. Rereading over the power with those in mind really illustrates my wording.

However, I'd like to keep these powers as an encounter. Any suggestion? Maybe only allow a minor action charge at heroic that adds say, 5 damage, a move action charge at paragon that adds primary ability mod, and the ability to "stock" a move action charge from a previous round at epic with the special entry's final sentence applying only to the epic tier?

Neutral Wave Sword Instead of scaling the ability modifier directly, add bonuses. For example, 2 + Ability modifier instead of 2 times. This will result in a more balanced ability.
Wording isn't clear, perhaps you mean something like:
I'll fiddle with numbers to get a satisfying result for NWS' damage, probably use 2/4/6/8 at 7/11/16/21. I never thought of that actually, it's a good idea. Also, I'll use what you wrote for wording, it's better than mine at least, and gets the point across a lot better than what I tried to write, which I now realize doesn't work because enemies don't provide cover for melee attacks, only ranged, which makes my wording kinda moot.

EDIT: Changes made. I decided to up NWS' damage from my initial idea of 2/4/etc to 4/6/etc. Should be (fairly) good now.