PDA

View Full Version : Knowledge based melee type (3.P)

BobVosh
2010-09-18, 06:07 AM
This is going to sound weird, but I have a fun character I want to make, but I can't really figure out a good way to do it. I wish to make a gnoll *melee class* that can actually spend and get quite a few knowledges. PF Gnoll so this is his racials:
+4 str, +2 Con, -2 Int, -2 Cha, +1 NA
Darkvision, +2 perception (for some reason),
Since its LA 1 I think I can get it without losing a level by 3rd.
1 BAB, 2D8 HD (bleh, humanoid HD)

Also my DM has an unnatural hatred for factotum, otherwise that would have been my choice. Rogue seems like an ok one, but meh.

Books: Completes, Races, PF(all, although I don't have too much of the older stuff)
Probably can get stuff from the other books like heroes of horrors or Libris Mortis, but didn't ask about them since they didn't seem like a likely canidate.

Amphetryon
2010-09-18, 06:11 AM
Warblade runs a bunch of abilities off of INT, if you can get it in.

IdleMuse
2010-09-18, 06:13 AM
Since you seem to have access to the Complete Champion, let me be the first to suggest Knowledge Devotion. It's a scaling feat that lets you turn your knowledges into damage. Though a race with an Int penalty seems counterproductive, both in terms of ability bonus to knowledge checks and skill ranks.

Other useful stuff: Nymph's Kiss feat from BoED gives you extra skill points per level. Swashbuckler 3 (CW) lets you add your Int to damage. Dragonfire Adept 1 (Dragon Magic) gives you +6 to all knowledge checks.

Darrin
2010-09-18, 09:25 AM
Warblade runs a bunch of abilities off of INT, if you can get it in.

It's also available for free online (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060802a&page=2).

If you're looking for a non-ToB class with an emphasis on Int, Swashbuckler might work.

There's a variety of feats that offer various Knowledges as class skills. I think Education (Eberron Campaign Setting) gives all of them as class skills.

LibraryOgre
2010-09-18, 09:40 AM
Melee fighter with a bunch of knowledges? In PF?

A Melee-specced bard.

The racial negatives are going to be a hard thing to eat on such a build, but I would suggest looking into a martial-type PrC once you get going. This might actually be a good place to stick a Dragon Disciple, or a Battle Herald (from the PF Advanced Player's Guide). Also possible are the Horizon Walker (your main cost is going to be the Endurance feat, but some dipping into Ranger makes that free, and doesn't hurt your build at all) or the Pathfinder Chronicler.

As mentioned above, Ranger can also work, though you'll have a chunk less knowledges, and not as many powers arranged around them.

Esser-Z
2010-09-18, 09:45 AM
How about Factotum?

UserClone
2010-09-18, 01:16 PM
How about Factotum?

...my DM has an unnatural hatred for factotum, otherwise that would have been my choice...

Failsauce.

Rezby
2010-09-18, 01:27 PM
Failsauce.

Actually, the proper reply here would be trololololololololololol.

UserClone
2010-09-18, 01:30 PM
Lol, fair enough. From lurker to troll in 3.5 seconds. :smalltongue:

You could maybe take a level of Wizard and 4 of any full BAB class, Knowledge Devotion, and Abjurant Champion. I think that'd be a decent start.

Soranar
2010-09-18, 01:43 PM
I would second bard, but with the -2 INT and -2 CHA...

a Gnoll is seriously underwhelming considering your goal

I guess you could play against type and make an educated barbarian (feat education to gain all knowledge skills) and take the knowledge devotion feat afterwards

swashbuckler is usually dex based for a reason , you'd end up getting a useless bonus feat (since you STR will be reasonably higher than your DEX) and using subpar weapons (since insightful strike doesn't work with everything, unless you take spiked chain proficiency)

all of these options just leave you feat-starved

you could dip cleric for the War domain + the knowledge domain (which you trade for knowledge devotion) but no domains give chain proficiency

Warblade does get some bonus from INT (not that much honestly, and very late too) which would work without much INT but then that doesn't work with what you had in mind

so maybe try a chain tripper build with 3 levels of swashbuckler

if flaws are allowed than it's easier to work with

you should probably dip fighter 2 for proficiencies and feats

Ianuagonde
2010-09-18, 02:19 PM
If your DM allows PHB 2, I'd suggest Duskblade. Full BAB, d8 HD, ignore ASF, int-based casting that you can combine with melee attacks in a single action, and all knowledge skills as class skills.

You don't need Int very much, 15 is enough to cast all you spells. A Headband of Int helps a lot. Also, Knowledge Devotion is tailor made for this class.

Esser-Z
2010-09-18, 03:17 PM
Failsauce.

Curses, foiled again!

OldTrees
2010-09-18, 06:39 PM
I would recommend the knowledge devotion feat to showcase your knowledge in battle.

Cloistered Cleric gets 6+Int but loses BAB until you start using Divine Power.
Bard gets 6+Int but is Average BAB.
Warblade gets 4+Int as mentioned before.
Edit: Edition fail! I responded as though it was 3.5. It may still be useful.

BobVosh
2010-09-19, 12:04 AM
Hmm. Looks like knowledge devotions seems a much, and I can't argue with that.

Remember in pathfinder a +int headband has linked skills. So a +2 int HB can be for Know:Planes and I count as full ranks in that knowledge. So +6 is 3 skills (probably never move beyond +4, but there you have it)

I was considering the possiblities of bard, and haven't looked at battle herald yet. That could be amusing.

Warblade is another one I haven't tried out yet, oddly. I could have fun with IHS.

Talbot
2010-09-19, 12:32 AM
If you go the Knowledge Devotion route, pick up the "Collector of Stories" Skill Trick. Free +5 to a Knowledge Check once per encounter.

Thurbane
2010-09-19, 12:45 AM
If your DM allows PHB 2, I'd suggest Duskblade. Full BAB, d8 HD, ignore ASF, int-based casting that you can combine with melee attacks in a single action, and all knowledge skills as class skills.

You don't need Int very much, 15 is enough to cast all you spells. A Headband of Int helps a lot. Also, Knowledge Devotion is tailor made for this class.
This: Duskblade + Knowledge Devotion = awesome...

Rixx
2010-09-19, 12:48 AM
You'd be mostly keyed off Charisma instead of Intelligence, but Bard + Cavalier into Battle Herald is a good choice; it's a very tactical sort of class, allowing you to use your performance to give allies specific benefits. http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/battle-herald