PDA

View Full Version : Demon-gate on a material plane

Balor01
2010-09-18, 10:54 AM
In our campaing, someone somehow cast permanent Gate spell from abyss to material plane and I am wondering does this means demons should overrun the land? This gate spell also has a imit that the strongest demon it lets trough is babau.
Also, I was wondering how would babau act on material plane? They have resonable int and wisdom.

tnx

Yora
2010-09-18, 11:11 AM
It really depends a lot on how the gm handles it.
In theory, every low HD demon could walk through, so there could be huge swarms of them. But then there are also factors how many demons accidently stumble upon the gate, and also if they actually want to go to the material plane. So you're a smart babau and have stuff to do in the abyss. It doesn't seem very likely you leave everything behind to kill all mortals you can find.

LOTRfan
2010-09-18, 11:48 AM
I actually think it would be the opposite. Lesser demons who come across the portal would probably waste no time at all crossing over. Why stay in the living hell you live in, being dominated by creatures far more tougher then you, when you can come to a plane that is nice, pleasant and ready to be ravaged?

Coidzor
2010-09-18, 12:10 PM
Well, the weaker ones would try to move in and maybe take over weak humanoid groups like gobbos and kobbos.

The smarter ones would likely disguise themselves and integrate into society and start manipulating things to their immortal advantage.

The ones which are basically brutes would probably instead go and grab some orcs and/or hobos and go to town.

Of course, if a horde of them come through, the smarter and stronger ones who don't have much to do in the Abyss would probably capitalize by going over and wresting control of it. This would also make it more difficult for the craftier ones to find a society to integrate with if a horde of dretches is mucking up the place faster (Dretch on the walls, on the ceilings, on the battlements, there's DRETCH EVERYWHERE) than adventurers can mow down.

jguy
2010-09-18, 12:18 PM
It depends on where the gate opens up in. If it is in the middle of nowhere, they might have a chance to build up a suitable army and overrun the nations super powers.

I think it'd be hilarious if it happen to open up in a nation that worships Hextor or Bane. They would be in for a big surprise.

Babau: You shall be our slaves!

High priest of Bane flanked by a contingent of Paladins of Tyranny and Fighters: "I think it is you who shall become our slaves

Yes, that last part was said in a german accent.

DeltaEmil
2010-09-18, 12:26 PM
Demons who enter a material world through a gate risk being destroyed, and cannot be ressurected unless through really powerful magic. Only by being summoned can demons (or any other kind of outsider) avert complete destruction.

If you use the added background lore info from the fiend codizes, where demons who are killed on a material plane are transformed back into low-level dretches and manes in the abyss, demons will still hesitate, as being transformed back into a weak demon type is also the same as being killed forever, if you have enemies who don't like you at all.

As always, some demons have to evaluate the risks of entering a hostile world and what they might gain.
Dumber demons will not care about being destroyed, but the mightier ones have everything to lose, and know that whoever left that gate is powerful enough to destroy them, so they'll be cautious.