PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Trading away monk's AC bonus

kestrel404
2010-09-18, 10:57 AM
Are there any alternate class features that allow you to trade the 'Wis to AC' bonus a monk gets for something else?

Also, does the Decisive Strike ACF work while wearing armor? It looks like it does from the description, but I'm curious if there's a specific ruling on this.

Thanks!

Starbuck_II
2010-09-18, 11:01 AM
Are there any alternate class features that allow you to trade the 'Wis to AC' bonus a monk gets for something else?

Also, does the Decisive Strike ACF work while wearing armor? It looks like it does from the description, but I'm curious if there's a specific ruling on this.

Thanks!

You can trade it and speed bonus for DR/- in Unearthed Arcana.

Curmudgeon
2010-09-18, 11:42 AM
The general resource you want to turn to for your first question is the excellent Alternative Class Features (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872054/Alternative_Class_Features_III) list.

Decisive Strike will work just fine in armor. (That ACF is just a poor tradeoff, is all.)

DragoonWraith
2010-09-18, 12:25 PM
Decisive Strike is good in an AoO build, since you continue to get those, and they now deal double damage. With Karmic Strike/Robilar's Gambit/Stormguard Warrior, you're talking very large amounts of damage.

Anyway, I've spent a fair amount of time looking for one, and my conclusion is, no, there's isn't any such ACF. I'd be most appreciative if someone proved me wrong, though.

lsfreak
2010-09-18, 12:42 PM
There isn't one (the trade for DR doesn't get rid of everything, just the incremental bonuses - you still get Wis->AC), but trading it for the swordsage's AC bonus (which works in light armor) and houseruling that monk abilities can be used in light armor is a reasonable alternative.

DragoonWraith
2010-09-18, 12:55 PM
There isn't one (the trade for DR doesn't get rid of everything, just the incremental bonuses - you still get Wis->AC), but trading it for the swordsage's AC bonus (which works in light armor) and houseruling that monk abilities can be used in light armor is a reasonable alternative.
At least in my case, I had a Monk/Unarmed Swordsage, so I was getting the Wis-To-AC twice (and the unarmored-only version), and wasn't getting the enhancement bonuses, so I couldn't even take the DR if I wanted to. I was just looking for getting something for my overlapping Wis-To-AC - DM was nice enough to give me a Bonus Feat for it, which I desperately needed, so that was cool.

Forged Fury
2010-09-18, 02:14 PM
Decisive Strike will work just fine in armor. (That ACF is just a poor tradeoff, is all.)
Hmm... not if you're an Argent Fist it isn't. Might have to look into that more.

Is there anything that allows you to trade away Fast Movement?