PDA

View Full Version : Opinions of this MWoOD?

Malfunctioned
2010-09-18, 11:07 AM
Magic Weapon of Organic Destruction.

The entire focus of a campaign that I'm running in my college features the construction of what is essentially a death-ray by an order of Knight Templar Paladins.

The weapon in question is a modified portal to the Positive Energy Plane. Instead of being simply a gate to the plane it functions much life a vacuum. The lack of raw positive energy in the Material Plane forces large amounts of positive energy out of the portal in an unfocused blast.

A special frame constructed by Wizards and Clerics working for the order allow the blast to be focused into a beam whilst also allowing to be expanded to cover an area of around 3 miles to one covering less than a foot. Any living creature that touches the beam is exposed to the 'overhealing' effect of the Positive Energy plane. In pure crunch terms it heals 50HP per round to any creature touching it leaving everything inorganic unharmed.

The Paladins have constructed this weapon as they are done with trying to destroy the evil in the world as there is far too much to be able to fight. Instead they shall give the entire world a moment of pure bliss before stopping them coming to any more harm whatsoever.

What do you guys thinl?

Ravens_cry
2010-09-18, 11:24 AM
Wouldn't they fall for even working on such a project, contemplating mass life-ocide?
This assumes this is 3.X/Pathfinder, of course.

dgnslyr
2010-09-18, 11:45 AM
If Falling isn't going to be a concern, I can see some Lawful Unnice paladins using it to wipe the evil from earth. To annihilate all life? Seems out of line, though. I can see them using this as their superweapon to destroy a Stronghold of Evil. Maybe the quest has a ridiculously fortified fortress full of necromancers or something similarly sinister, and you need to protect and defend the portal while they prepare the annihilating ray of DOOM.

Malfunctioned
2010-09-18, 11:55 AM
In this campaign world Paladins are a group of elite warriors that have tapped into an ancient source of holy power (like a reservoir of the gods) that allows them the use of their power. As long as they maintain the rituals needed they can continue to tap the power. A paladin can fall for doing explicit evil but this is due to the leader of their order disconnecting them from the reservoir.

The paladin orders in this world are also more like police officers than just adventurers, this is along to the hierarchy in the orders. Smaller local orders for rural areas that are independent to yet subservient to larger orders. Each order is allowed to essentially run on its own.

The paladin order in question is one of the larger groups where the head of the order has succumbed to a grave illness. His second in command, who is extremely Knight Templarish, is leading the construction and development of the MWoOD.

The second in command's viewpoint in life is that every single moment of living is contaminated by complete and utter evil. He and his order are the only people out there who can see the world for what it is. Just before someone is killed by the MWoOD they experience pure joy and happiness before passing on to their afterlives. (or so the paladins think)

Plus one of the PC's was a paladin that formerly belonged to this specific order before being transferred to a rural area Hot Fuzz style.

Tengu_temp
2010-09-18, 12:04 PM
Looks like a fun idea (I assume that the players' job is to destroy this weapon), just don't make the mistake of thinking that whomever came up with this project was LG. "Kill everyone in a painless way so they won't have to suffer anymore" is Lawful Stupid at best, massively deluded CE at worst.

Malfunctioned
2010-09-18, 12:29 PM
Looks like a fun idea (I assume that the players' job is to destroy this weapon), just don't make the mistake of thinking that whomever came up with this project was LG. "Kill everyone in a painless way so they won't have to suffer anymore" is Lawful Stupid at best, massively deluded CE at worst.

Yup, the players will be having to destroy it and the second-in-command is incredibly Lawful Stupid/Good.