PDA

View Full Version : Adding new spells to your list as a divine caster?

WarKitty
2010-09-18, 11:22 AM
Since this seems to have been passed over twice in the Q&A thread:

Does anyone know of a way to provide a druid with divine spells not on their class list? Single-level dips are allowed if they can provide access to more than level 1 and 2 spells.

SurlySeraph
2010-09-18, 03:24 PM
Dipping into one of the classes that grant domains, like Sacred Exorcist or Contemplative, is an easy way.

There are a few Eberron-specific feats that grant some extra spells too, I believe.

WarKitty
2010-09-18, 03:39 PM
Dipping into one of the classes that grant domains, like Sacred Exorcist or Contemplative, is an easy way.

There are a few Eberron-specific feats that grant some extra spells too, I believe.

Is there a way to get all the domain spells? I thought straight domain class dips only granted you like 1st-level spells (whatever you could cast with that one level of dip). I could use a few of the higher-level spells available.

Starbuck_II
2010-09-18, 03:43 PM
Since this seems to have been passed over twice in the Q&A thread:

Does anyone know of a way to provide a druid with divine spells not on their class list? Single-level dips are allowed if they can provide access to more than level 1 and 2 spells.

Sandshaper if you also have 1 level in any arcane class and practiced spellcaster (requires caster 5th)?
It adds 20 spells to your spell list (some you might already have but lower level).

dextercorvia
2010-09-18, 03:45 PM
Is there a way to get all the domain spells? I thought straight domain class dips only granted you like 1st-level spells (whatever you could cast with that one level of dip). I could use a few of the higher-level spells available.

No, if you get the domain, you get the spells added to your list and can cast up to one of each spell level in a day.

Sacred Exorcist doesn't gain a domain though. Seeker of the Misty Isle, and Divine Oracle do, and Contemplative lets you pick one. Of course there is Sovereign Speaker, but that might be hard to justify fluff-wise.

SurlySeraph
2010-09-18, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the correction, I was thinking Church Inquisitor (which does grant a domain, but might take a bit of acrobatics to justify for a druid).

dextercorvia
2010-09-18, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the correction, I was thinking Church Inquisitor (which does grant a domain, but might take a bit of acrobatics to justify for a druid).

If your DM allows a broad enough definition of Church to include Druidic organization, you could hit that one if he doesn't require it to be a LG church. Otherwise, I guess you'd have to be a Druid with a sunday morning LG diety.

Escheton
2010-09-19, 03:03 PM
There is a cleric acf that lets you trade a domain for a wizard spell of each lvl added to your list. Limited list of schools allowed but quite handy.
Not druid though.

Fax Celestis
2010-09-19, 04:12 PM
Try some of the Initiate of X feats, too. Most of them require "Cleric level X" but some of them are "capable of casting X level divine spells".

DementedFellow
2010-09-19, 04:18 PM
Sandshaper if you also have 1 level in any arcane class and practiced spellcaster (requires caster 5th)?
It adds 20 spells to your spell list (some you might already have but lower level).

Sandshaper is probably best for sorcerers, it would take some working to get it to work as a divine caster. Keep in mind that the summons are of dustform creatures, so only a few of the summons are worthwhile (and that is only marginally).

Even if the divine caster went into this, a couple of the spells are copies, and then half the list are less-than-quality summons. I wouldn't suggest Sandshaper.

The dip in the arcane class, plus the dip in Sandshaper, leaves two levels that would have added more spells per day which is almost as good as spells known, especially if the caster would have went up another spell level in this time.

BooNL
2010-09-19, 04:35 PM
There's a Favoured Soul AFC in Dragon Magic that lets you replace a divine spell known with an arcane spell every couple of levels (4 I think?).

It's not really that good, but could be fun to have.