PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to make glass dice?

Tech Boy
2010-09-18, 01:32 PM
Hello everyone.

To make a long story short:
My father is somewhat of a mad scientist.
He recently purchased a glass blowing shop.
We have since moved it into our blacksmithing shop.

Does anyone know how to make dice out of glass?

I just think it would be neat to have a set of D&D dice made out of glass.

Anyone?

Crimmy
2010-09-18, 02:35 PM
Unless you use very strong glass, I wouldn't recommend this.
Anyway, the ideal way would be using a cubic (in case you were to make a normal, 6 numbers dice) and fill it with glass, and then wait for it to cool.

When it's already cooled, and if it doesn't have any cracks, you can use a rotary tool (a dremel would work nice, if you have the proper tool for glass) to engrave the little dots or numbers for each face.

You can then paint what you engraved in the glass.

Tech Boy
2010-09-18, 02:44 PM
Hey, thanks for the tips.

Heliomance
2010-09-18, 07:52 PM
I know nothing about glassmaking, but I would have thought the most sensible way would be to grind a lump into the desired shape.

Cealocanth
2010-09-18, 09:58 PM
There is a way to make glass dice. What you do is prepare a basic beadmaking bead with a good sized amount of clear glass. Then, wearing heat-proof gloves, remove the glass and shape into the desired shape quickly. It is extremely difficult to get the dice to be the correct dimentions, and you may need to try this several times in order to get the right shape.

You could also carve out a lead mold as if you were about to prepare a pewter cast, then pour molten glass into the mold and allow it to cool. The second method will make it a lot easier to get the right shape you're looking for.