PDA

View Full Version : Not sure where to go with my Warlock (DnD 3.5)

theonesin
2010-09-18, 02:58 PM
I made a Level 8 Human Warlock for a campaign last night, but at the game meeting, we didn't have access to all the books and such so I could build my character properly. We didn't actually get into combat (character creation too far too long due to a new player in the group), so I'm looking into redesigning my character. The problem is that I'm not sure where to go with it.

As I said, we're starting at level 8. The game is nautical-themed, if that matters. The other two characters in the group are a Warforged Fighter/Juggernaut, and a Drow Rogue.

The DM suggested getting a lot of damage out of things such as Eldritch Glaive, yet it seems kind of redundant to me. Over half of the party is already focused on damage, especially melee damage. And while I usually try to pump out a lot of damage myself with any character I play, I'm thinking of going against that for once, and picking a build that is more supportive. I mean, I still want to be able to do good damage, but I'm also looking more into battlefield control and the like.

Any advice?

Mongoose87
2010-09-18, 03:00 PM
Pump up your UMD, enjoy Deceive Item?

Tyrmatt
2010-09-18, 03:12 PM
Add Eldritch Spear and turn yourself into a long range cannon for shooting other ships?

Also add Beguiling Influence and become the party face as Warforged and Drow are traditionally not very popular races amongst the general populace.

Seffbasilisk
2010-09-18, 03:22 PM
I'd second Eldrich Spear. You're far more likely to go at a distance, than melee.

Entropic Warding is good as well, to protect against return fire.

And I'd go with Flight myself.

Starbuck_II
2010-09-18, 03:37 PM
What is your goal?

Enlightened Spirit has a debuff for foes (Aura of menace), Aura of Courage (like a Pally)

Eldritch Disciple: allows healing blasts, will save lowering blast (Corrupting blast), Protective Aura ( magic circle alignment), and is a divine/Warlock mixture class.

The other Eldritch arcane class (mixture Warlock/arcana)

Hellfire Warlock increases Eldritch damage (or healing blast number if Eldritch Disciple)

Starsinger
2010-09-18, 04:03 PM
Are you a warlock for the flavor or the invocations? because if it's invocations, I suggest Dragonfire Adept so you can grab the swimspeed + breathe underwater invocation, always nice for an aquatic campaign, plus it lets you breathe fire while underwater... which is just cool.

theonesin
2010-09-18, 04:14 PM
I was going to mention that I had only recently found out about the Dragonfire Adept. My main reason for wanting to play a Warlock was simply having abilities that I could use infinitely (also that Warlock was my first ever DnD character, so I wanted to try it again now that I understand things better).

I haven't read everything on Dragonfire Adept yet, but it does look very interesting. I'd be fine with playing one if it would suit my needs better.

ThunderCat
2010-09-18, 04:51 PM
Swimming the Styx from Complete Mage gives you water breathing and a swim speed, which could be handy. Otherwise, I second eldritch spear, ideally combined with some nice debuff eldritch essence attached.

Soranar
2010-09-18, 05:39 PM
I'd prefer warlock to dragonfire adept

just maximize your DC so your attacks to crowd control (which your party lacks)

unlimited shatter can be quite evil when you can fly up to the opponent's hull and start shredding it while they're at sea

(or blast it from a distance or set it on fire with brimstone blast)

and having an unlimited dispel machine can really save a party at times

besides, at level 11 (only 3 levels away), you get access to chilling tentacles which is really really good

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-09-18, 06:13 PM
My suggestions:

1) Fly is a must. In case you go overboard, in case you need to board their vessel, for being able to get around anywhere without needing to worry about how you are going to get there. Transportation obstacles are always a concern in a nautical campaign, this obviates them.

2) Chilling Tentacles. If it has a poor grapple check (see also: wizards, swashbucklers, rogues, clerics, and just about anything else that isn't an outright 'tank'), it's hosed. Cold damage is just icing on the cake.

3) Repelling Blast. Two words: "Man Overboard!"

4) Breath of the Night. Also known as 'smokescreen to cover our arses while we haul sail!'

5) Dark Foresight. Never be ambushed ever again. No, not even then. Spam it not only on yourself, but your entire party. Congratulations, your party is immune to Surprise. Period. Yes, even then.

oxybe
2010-09-18, 06:31 PM
flight + invisibility is REALLY great. the invis looses it's charm once you hit the higher levels where everything, it's mom and it's limping dog have see invis/smell/blindsight/etc... but until then, it's REALLY convenient to do a dungeon bypass whenever possible.

but on water?

step 1: cloak of the manta ray

step 2: feather token, anchor

step 3: eldrich spear

step 4: laugh.

because nothing says fun like a torpedo sub!

SPOILER FOR SAVAGE TIDE ADVENTURE PATH

i did this very thing for the "protect the village from the pirates" section of the AP. we moored them right at the entrance of the cove and within range of our ballistas then add a flying warlock+wands of fireball.

fun times when the pirates had to take the canoes into shore... and i was dropping fireballs from above.