PDA

View Full Version : abrupt jaunt vs abrupt jaunt

Soranar
2010-09-18, 03:50 PM
hypothetical situation

I've been thinking of creating a type of mage-slayer (chain tripping swashbuckler with a wizard dip for abrupt jaunt) while using the mage slayer feats

now

said tripper uses abrupt jaunt to move up to the enemy wizard who then moves away (using abrupt jaunt himself)

can I use my ability again to follow him indefinitely ? (until we both run out of uses)

abrupt jaunt is an immediate action so I'm not sure if that = a free action or there is a limit to how many you're given?

on a side note, can I jaunt several times to reach a particular point within one round?

Siosilvar
2010-09-18, 03:51 PM
Swift Action: Like a free action, but you only get one per turn.

Immediate Action: An action that can be used out of turn but uses your swift action for either this turn or next turn.

So no, you only get one Jaunt per turn.

Snake-Aes
2010-09-18, 03:52 PM
Immediate actions consume the user's next swift action, so no.

You can't abrupt jaunt more than once per round, and you are denied your swift action the round following the immediate action.

Fax Celestis
2010-09-18, 04:00 PM
...but, if you were a Ruby Knight Vindicator, and since it's your turn, you could Divine Impetus yourself another swift action to jaunt again.

Hello, wizards, look at your jaunt, now back to mine, now back at your jaunt, now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine, but if you stopped using silly arcane magics and switched to divine magic, you could jaunt like you're me. Look down, back up, where are you? You're on a battlefield with the man you could jaunt like. What's in your hand, back at me. I have it, it's a dorje with two charges of hustle and a metapsionic dorje sheath of repeat power. Look again, the dorje is now diamonds that you're going to need in fifteen minutes for a true resurrection spell. Anything is possible when your man jaunts with divine magic and not poncy arcane spells. I'm on a horse.

Demons_eye
2010-09-18, 04:03 PM
Epic Stuff

I wish there was a like button I could just press.

Soranar
2010-09-18, 04:12 PM
...but, if you were a Ruby Knight Vindicator, and since it's your turn, you could Divine Impetus yourself another swift action to jaunt again.

Hello, wizards, look at your jaunt, now back to mine, now back at your jaunt, now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine, but if you stopped using silly arcane magics and switched to divine magic, you could jaunt like you're me. Look down, back up, where are you? You're on a battlefield with the man you could jaunt like. What's in your hand, back at me. I have it, it's a dorje with two charges of hustle and a metapsionic dorje sheath of repeat power. Look again, the dorje is now diamonds that you're going to need in fifteen minutes for a true resurrection spell. Anything is possible when your man jaunts with divine magic and not poncy arcane spells. I'm on a horse.

great now my head is spinning

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-18, 04:22 PM
Fax...just....words do not describe.

Fax>>>>Divinity

Kyrthain
2010-09-18, 04:22 PM

And I believe that Fax has just won.

Jack Zander
2010-09-18, 04:25 PM
Yes, congrats Fax! You win. The Internet is now over. Would you like to play again?

Starbuck_II
2010-09-18, 04:34 PM
Immediate actions consume the user's next swift action, so no.

You can't abrupt jaunt more than once per round, and you are denied your swift action the round following the immediate action.

Actually, that is incorrect. You can use an immediate action as a swift action or an immediate action.
If used as a swift action, it must be used on your turn and uses up this turn swift action.
If used as immediate, it must be used out of your turn and uses up next turns swift action.

So you can abrupt jaunt more than 1/rd, but other than extra movement speed (since you teleport 10 ft) it isn't that useful.

Fax Celestis
2010-09-18, 04:41 PM
Actually, that is incorrect. You can use an immediate action as a swift action or an immediate action.
If used as a swift action, it must be used on your turn and uses up this turn swift action.
If used as immediate, it must be used out of your turn and uses up next turns swift action.

So you can abrupt jaunt more than 1/rd, but other than extra movement speed (since you teleport 10 ft) it isn't that useful.

Sorry, try again.

Immediate Actions

Much like a swift action, an immediate action consumes a very small amount of time, but represents a larger expenditure of effort and energy than a free action. However, unlike a swift action, an immediate action can be performed at any time — even if it's not your turn. Casting feather fall is an immediate action, since the spell can be cast at any time.

Using an immediate action on your turn is the same as using a swift action, and counts as your swift action for that turn. You cannot use another immediate action or a swift action until after your next turn if you have used an immediate action when it is not currently your turn (effectively, using an immediate action before your turn is equivalent to using your swift action for the coming turn). You also cannot use an immediate action if you are flat-footed.

Douglas
2010-09-18, 04:44 PM
No, he's right.

1) On your turn, use Abrupt Jaunt. This counts as a swift action and uses your current turn's swift action.
2) End your turn.
3) Use Abrupt Jaunt as an immediate action. This takes your next turn's swift action.

In this way, you can use Abrupt Jaunt twice in the same round. You won't be able to do it again until 2 rounds later, and you can't do anything after the second use until your turn comes up again, but you can use it twice in the same round.

Marnath
2010-09-18, 04:47 PM
No, he's right.

1) On your turn, use Abrupt Jaunt. This counts as a swift action and uses your current turn's swift action.
2) End your turn.
3) Use Abrupt Jaunt as an immediate action. This takes your next turn's swift action.

In this way, you can use Abrupt Jaunt twice in the same round. You won't be able to do it again until 2 rounds later, and you can't do anything after the second use until your turn comes up again, but you can use it twice in the same round.

Take another look at the next sentence past what Fax highlighted. The part about having to wait until after your next turn to use one again.

Fax Celestis
2010-09-18, 04:47 PM
Oh, I see. I thought he was saying you can use it as a swift and then as an immediate on your turn.

Douglas
2010-09-18, 05:10 PM
Take another look at the next sentence past what Fax highlighted. The part about having to wait until after your next turn to use one again.
That, as it notes explicitly in that very sentence, is specifically for if you use it as an immediate action when it is not currently your turn. In the method I outlined, the first use is a swift action during your turn instead.

Marnath
2010-09-18, 05:32 PM
You don't get to do one of each, you can do a swift action or an immediate one per turn.

Boci
2010-09-18, 05:35 PM
You don't get to do one of each, you can do a swift action or an immediate one per turn.

You use a swift action, end your turn, then use an immediate action.

Fax Celestis
2010-09-18, 05:36 PM
You use a swift action, end your turn, then use an immediate action.

...which uses next turn's swift. Doesn't help the OP in this case, but it is a valid use.

Forged Fury
2010-09-18, 05:38 PM
Hunh... I've always seen abrupt jaunt as a defensive move. Reading through it, you could use it in an OK mage-slayer type application. Mage moves into position to cast a spell. When the caster is in position after finishing their movement (if in range), you could abrupt jaunt next to him and force him to cast defensively or choose some other action. Albeit, with the limited number of uses, it's not that great.

The Glyphstone
2010-09-18, 05:39 PM
Fax is on a horse, Fax's horse is amazing...

Soranar
2010-09-18, 05:46 PM
Hunh... I've always seen abrupt jaunt as a defensive move. Reading through it, you could use it in an OK mage-slayer type application. Mage moves into position to cast a spell. When the caster is in position after finishing their movement (if in range), you could abrupt jaunt next to him and force him to cast defensively or choose some other action. Albeit, with the limited number of uses, it's not that great.

abrupt jaunt is quite good offensively actually (not pounce but still efficient)

with a 10ft reach weapon, you can 5 step, jaunt and full attack creatures 25ft away, with enough INT (which is doubly useful for a swashbuckler) you can do it a reasonable amount of times a day (say 5-6)

most times I get 3-4 encounters per day, and once you closed in on the right spot you can trip everybody

the wizard level can also trade the normal bonus feat for a fighter feat (Combat Wizard from UA) so it's not a complete waste either

Douglas
2010-09-18, 05:50 PM
Right. I'm using the swift from this turn and the immediate from next turn. There's a reason the "end your turn" step is in there and is between the two uses of Abrupt Jaunt.

Seffbasilisk
2010-09-18, 07:15 PM
Or simplify it, and charge him. He jaunt's away, you jaunt after him. He uses shenanigans to jaunt again, you end your turn (can't hit at the end of the charge now that he's further away), and jaunt next to him to threaten.

Kyrthain
2010-09-18, 08:19 PM
BTW: Fax, do you mind if I sig that epic paragraph?

Fax Celestis
2010-09-18, 08:21 PM
BTW: Fax, do you mind if I sig that epic paragraph?

Go right ahead.

Peregrine
2010-09-19, 12:18 AM
Hunh... I've always seen abrupt jaunt as a defensive move.

I don't have PH2 (though the player who does have a copy is just coming now), but I thought it was only a defensive move? I thought all of the Immediate Magic abilities were triggered when you got attacked.

Snake-Aes
2010-09-19, 06:14 AM
I don't have PH2 (though the player who does have a copy is just coming now), but I thought it was only a defensive move? I thought all of the Immediate Magic abilities were triggered when you got attacked.

Immediate actions are triggered by your will alone.

Tyger
2010-09-19, 06:42 AM

Is there a way to award Fax the Internet for this?? If not, there oughta be.

Peregrine
2010-09-19, 06:51 AM
Immediate actions are triggered by your will alone.

Well, that's not exactly true. There are immediate actions that are triggered in response to some other action -- interrupting an enemy, for example. They are also triggered by your will -- you choose to react to the trigger -- but it's not "your will alone".

Reactive Counterspell is one example. And I had thought that Immediate Magic was another; you could only choose to abrupt jaunt, cursed glance, counterfire, or whatever in response to an enemy's attack.

Chipp Zanuff
2010-09-19, 07:00 AM
Would you like to play again?

Great. Fax won, and everyone else just lost.

I hate The Game...

ArcanistSupreme
2010-09-19, 10:27 AM
What book is abrupt jaunt in again?

Flickerdart
2010-09-19, 10:30 AM
CMage, I believe.

ArcanistSupreme
2010-09-19, 10:32 AM
CMage, I believe.

I just checked that and couldn't find it there. What level and school is it?

Starbuck_II
2010-09-19, 10:32 AM

PHB 2. It is an alternate Class feature for Conjurist.

ArcanistSupreme
2010-09-19, 10:35 AM
Ah. I thought it was a spell.